Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

Yeah, it's the loading. I guess in TYOOL 2015 I have to resort to unrolling a roll of 120 and re-winding it backwards on the spool before I put it on the reel like some kind of goddamned Neanderthal.

The price you pay for shooting an inferior format like roil film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Wild EEPROM posted:

Can't be as miserable as foma. At least tri-x is not the cheapest thinnest plastic film in the world.

I see you've never shot Adox film in 120 format.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Yeah, it's the loading. I guess in TYOOL 2015 I have to resort to unrolling a roll of 120 and re-winding it backwards on the spool before I put it on the reel like some kind of goddamned Neanderthal.

I also had specific trouble with Tri-x and still have to do that sometimes but two things that made loading 120 film way easier for me was getting one of the plastic reels that have extra wide flanges like this.

That and putting an empty beer carton inside the changing bag made it way easier. I found that my hands got sweaty really quickly inside the changing bag, so if it took longer than a few minutes the film would get damp and just not go onto the reel but with the box in the bag you have so much more room and it doesn't get humid so quickly.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Ummmm so the Canon FD 100-300mm f/5.6 lens has outlandishly swirly and dreamy bokeh. Also Portra 400 is like taking photos on easy mode. These were taken with a Canon AE-1 Program.

and

mulls fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 19, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

deaders posted:

I also had specific trouble with Tri-x and still have to do that sometimes but two things that made loading 120 film way easier for me was getting one of the plastic reels that have extra wide flanges like this.

That and putting an empty beer carton inside the changing bag made it way easier. I found that my hands got sweaty really quickly inside the changing bag, so if it took longer than a few minutes the film would get damp and just not go onto the reel but with the box in the bag you have so much more room and it doesn't get humid so quickly.
Good idea with that beer box. Gonna have to remember that. I have those reels, I can't imagine loading film with anything else.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

mulls posted:

Ummmm so the Canon FD 100-300mm f/5.6 lens has outlandishly swirly and dreamy bokeh. Also Portra 400 is like taking photos on easy mode. These were taken with a Canon AE-1 Program.

Neat. But that's not really swirly bokeh.
Swirly bokeh usually has a quite distinct circular pattern caused by coma. (A 3rd order Seidel aberration)
I don't have any very good samples at hand but, here:

Also maybe it's just flickr being flickr but your background looks quite grainy for me for Portra 400.
Did you by chance underexpose a bit?

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

VomitOnLino posted:

Swirly bokeh usually has a quite distinct circular pattern caused by coma. (A 3rd order Seidel aberration)
I don't have any very good samples at hand but, here:

Also maybe it's just flickr being flickr but your background looks quite grainy for me for Portra 400.
Did you by chance underexpose a bit?

It's a little underexposed, but I think Flickr also sharpened it somewhat. I was handholding while on a nature path with some friends, so I had to underexposed. The foliage was really dense, blocking the sunlight, and I was stopped down to try to have a chance of hitting focus, and I was shooting 1/500 or 1/1000 speed to reduce shake.

Portra is amazing considering the conditions.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Do people shoot any other color film besides Portra? I am struggling with coming up with an excuse to shoot anything else. Nothing seems as versatile as it.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

The cheapo Nikon 55-200 DX lens has a fair amount visible around the edges when you use it on a film camera

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

pootiebigwang posted:

Do people shoot any other color film besides Portra? I am struggling with coming up with an excuse to shoot anything else. Nothing seems as versatile as it.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Fuji Superia is pretty good and is half the price without being half as good.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mulls posted:

I've shot a lot of Superia. I like it better than UltraMax.

Water by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Courting by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Elvis by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 19, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mulls posted:

True. I'm also a sucker for Velvia50 in the right situation, but it has gotten stupidly expensive.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

nm posted:

True. I'm also a sucker for Velvia50 in the right situation, but it has gotten stupidly expensive.
Me too. I love all of Fuji's E-6 films, but they're all ridiculously expensive when you can even find them for sale. Whoever accused me of shooting unobtanium film when I talked about my adventures with Sensia had it right. I bought that film in early 2012, it's basically not for sale at the moment (idiotic shipping charges on eBay notwithstanding).
It's weird, I would have thought the high price and poor availability of commercial E-6 processing (most places here send it away, if they'll even take it) would have driven the price of E-6 film down, but sadly that seems not to have happened.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Me too. I love all of Fuji's E-6 films, but they're all ridiculously expensive when you can even find them for sale. Whoever accused me of shooting unobtanium film when I talked about my adventures with Sensia had it right. I bought that film in early 2012, it's basically not for sale at the moment (idiotic shipping charges on eBay notwithstanding).
It's weird, I would have thought the high price and poor availability of commercial E-6 processing (most places here send it away, if they'll even take it) would have driven the price of E-6 film down, but sadly that seems not to have happened.

I found a place to buy E-6 chemical kits in Canada. You can get a 1L kit for about $60 CAD shipped, so if you get 15 rolls out of a single kit it comes to less than what London Drugs charges for C-41. I plan to do a bunch of E-6 this summer once the landscape here isn't so brown and muddy.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

I found a place to buy E-6 chemical kits in Canada. You can get a 1L kit for about $60 CAD shipped, so if you get 15 rolls out of a single kit it comes to less than what London Drugs charges for C-41. I plan to do a bunch of E-6 this summer once the landscape here isn't so brown and muddy.

TELL ME WHERE I CAN BUY THIS KIT IMMEDIATELY.

Please. :canada:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

TELL ME WHERE I CAN BUY THIS KIT IMMEDIATELY.

Please. :canada:

http://www.argentix.ca/C41E6chems.php?=SID&mqry=sp002

You have to register for an account before you can see shipping prices. They have an ebay store too, search argentix, but it's $2-3 more to cover ebay fees.

Edit: This guy has examples of the results from this kit, and they look very good even considering he was using expired film. http://www.parallax-effect.ca/2014/06/17/developing-slide-film-e-6/

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 19, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ExecuDork posted:

The problem is that what keeps film prices down is volume, not low sales. Portra is so reasonable because they sell loads of it as movie film.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

http://www.argentix.ca/C41E6chems.php?=SID&mqry=sp002

You have to register for an account before you can see shipping prices. They have an ebay store too, search argentix, but it's $2-3 more to cover ebay fees.

Edit: This guy has examples of the results from this kit, and they look very good even considering he was using expired film. http://www.parallax-effect.ca/2014/06/17/developing-slide-film-e-6/

Awesomeness, thanks!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

More adventures with x-ray

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Are the negs looking flat or contrasty? I seem to be getting nothing but flat negs out my X-ray shots.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They're flat but nothing unfixable. This is Fuji HR-U shot at 200 in HC-110 dilution B for 3 minutes.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I was hoping to use the X-ray film as a high contrast contact printing material, but it just hasn't panned out that way.

I'm looking to get a box of the Arista Ortho 8x10 film from freestyle, hopefully it'll be a bit more useful, with reproducible results.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Spedman posted:

I was hoping to use the X-ray film as a high contrast contact printing material, but it just hasn't panned out that way.

I'm looking to get a box of the Arista Ortho 8x10 film from freestyle, hopefully it'll be a bit more useful, with reproducible results.

Couldn't you theoretically push the hell out of it then just agitate continuously during dev to get extra contrast?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I have tried that, but gotten pretty inconsistent/disappointing results, I probably need to more systematic about it though and burn through a bunch of sheets to get it right.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I love Provia 100F :D

Genoa by alkanphel, on Flickr

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

alkanphel posted:

I love Provia 100F :D

Genoa by alkanphel, on Flickr

This is lovely.

So how does Ektar compare to the various slide films? It's supposed to be the high-saturation negative alternative to slide film, right? This thread talks about Portra and slide all the time, but never Ektar...curious if it's just not very good...or just not very good in comparison to slide that is supposed to replace?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ektar is really nice in a few situations (sunset, things with lots of red) and only really when you nail the exposure. It's a frustrating emulsion.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
If you get confused, Ektar isn't a replacement for slide films when it comes time to develop your film.
Kodak Ektar 100 XPro 001 by Execudork, on Flickr
(this was deliberate, I wanted to see what would happen to C-41 film cross-processed in E-6)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Ektar's great, but it's not especially versatile and comes with a learning curve. Shoot for primary colours. Saturated reds, blues and yellows will look fantastic.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Just got a roll of Ektar developed today that I've had lying around for a while.

An airline has just opened up a route offering cheap flights to Iceland from Dublin. I was thinking of going over some time in September. I'd like to bring a medium format camera with me but I don't really fancy lugging my rb67 along with me. I've been eyeing up the Fuji GW690 for a while. For people who have been there; do you think a ~40mm equivalent might be a bit limiting or would it complement Iceland's big open barren landscapes well?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crap nerd posted:

Just got a roll of Ektar developed today that I've had lying around for a while.

An airline has just opened up a route offering cheap flights to Iceland from Dublin. I was thinking of going over some time in September. I'd like to bring a medium format camera with me but I don't really fancy lugging my rb67 along with me. I've been eyeing up the Fuji GW690 for a while. For people who have been there; do you think a ~40mm equivalent might be a bit limiting or would it complement Iceland's big open barren landscapes well?

Which airline? I can get to Dublin pretty cheaply and would love to go back to Iceland. While I was there before I mostly shot at 100mm but I didn't take many pictures of the landscape.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
http://wowair.ie/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I took my Bronica SQ-Ai when I was there and shot mainly 50mm and 80mm lenses on slide film (ektacrhome).

I'm a big fan for the GW690ii and would happily use that as my only camera in Iceland if I were to visit again, and as the negatives are so big you can crop down if you feel you need to and still have a good quality image to work with.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Shooting errything with a 40-50mm equivalent.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

crap nerd posted:

The 6x9 frame lends itself to broad sweeping landscapes, so the 85mm or whatever it comes with felt constricting to me. I really, really like normal focal length lenses, but it's so much easier for me personally to work in square or 4x5 format when shooting at that focal length. They're one of the cheapest and easiest ways to get into MF, so it's not a bad purchase by any means. I had problems framing things with the GW690 so I sold it to help finance a different MF system.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Helicity posted:

The 6x9 frame lends itself to broad sweeping landscapes, so the 85mm or whatever it comes with felt constricting to me. I really, really like normal focal length lenses, but it's so much easier for me personally to work in square or 4x5 format when shooting at that focal length. They're one of the cheapest and easiest ways to get into MF, so it's not a bad purchase by any means. I had problems framing things with the GW690 so I sold it to help finance a different MF system.

Blasphemy :black101:

Here's a dude rescuing film:
http://vimeo.com/116735360

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Spedman posted:

Blasphemy :black101:

I will miss that "PING!" sound of it firing for sure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks for this! Dublin head here who had plans of heading to Iceland soon!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
B&H is now offering free shipping to Canada for orders over $100. You still have to pay the pre-paid duties and taxes, but it should shave off $15-20 from your order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Helicity posted:

I will miss that "PING!" sound of it firing for sure.

Everyone's gotta know you're shooting a rad camera.