Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Is Star Ocean 3's ending really as bad as the guys at Penny Arcade said it was? In the commentary for the SO3 strip in one of the collection books, one of them described it as (wording not exact, but this is the gist of it) like pulling a slot machine lever and having all three wheels landing on asses, which causes the coin tray to fill with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Codiekitty posted:

Is Star Ocean 3's ending really as bad as the guys at Penny Arcade said it was? In the commentary for the SO3 strip in one of the collection books, one of them described it as (wording not exact, but this is the gist of it) like pulling a slot machine lever and having all three wheels landing on asses, which causes the coin tray to fill with poo poo.

the ending to star ocean 3 is fabulously stupid, and therefore is far superior to most jrpgs where you just fight god

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Codiekitty posted:

Not only did Star Ocean 3 blatantly rip off Wild ARMs 3's ending, WA3 still did it better the first time. When they say the ending "goes back to the series' roots," they actually mean that there's only two endings for every character, one of which is where they pair up with the hero.

corn in the bible posted:

the ending to star ocean 3 is fabulously stupid, and therefore is far superior to most jrpgs where you just fight god
you say this as if star ocean 3's final boss isn't lucifer luther

SO3's endboss was FF13-style bullshit because he actually has a TPK attack that does >20k damage per hit and is unavoidable if he chooses to cast it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
star ocean i miss you

i miss when i would click craft on art and would watch a ball of clay turn into a goddess statue and i would cheer

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I played all the way through SO3 and pretty much all I remember is that the horrifyingly anime dude had a MP-draining mist attack that hit way more times than it was supposed to, and MP death was a thing, so he pretty much singlehandedly destroyed every subsequent boss for me.

e so I am not jumped by the anime brigade: I love anime and play tons of anime games without a trace of irony, Albel is just a really bad kind of Kingdom Hearts-style 13-year-old-cool anime

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 28, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

SO3's endboss was FF13-style bullshit because he actually has a TPK attack that does >20k damage per hit and is unavoidable if he chooses to cast it.

I think you can pro-avoid it with Fayt if you time Dimension Door juuust right or something but yeah Luther was rear end. At least Sataniel in SO4 was piss easy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

everythng in so4 is boring aand piss easy though

the funniest thing about so4 is how you can skip all the cutscenes except the ones with welch in them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

e so I am not jumped by the anime brigade: I love anime and play tons of anime games without a trace of irony, Albel is just a really bad kind of Kingdom Hearts-style 13-year-old-cool anime
albel is the best character in that game

and also looks nothing like a kingdom hearrts character

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so3 end boss was a joke because side kick combo'd off itself and did ridiculous damage with invincibility frames at low hp cost

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

MockingQuantum posted:

What's the best way to play the first Star Ocean, the PSP remake? I think I might add it to my ever growing RPG backlog.

Eh. Chain together attacks/specials, get Cyuss, stuff like that. Not much to say about it, since First Departure is more or less linear.

Don't get Welch, though. Anything to do with Star Ocean 3 is awful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The best way to play it is apparently not through PSN cause it ain't on there

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

hubris.height posted:

so3 end boss was a joke because side kick combo'd off itself and did ridiculous damage with invincibility frames at low hp cost

Any quick-hitting attack stuns him with relative ease.

The White Dragon posted:

You can actually go to the top of the arena to avoid it, or just dump a bunch of orichalcum on each character's weapon and break Galaxy mode completely.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

i feel like SO3's system had potential to be good but ultimately you just spammed a single move until you couldn't deal with the voice clip anymore

still enjoyed spamming a single move forever a lot

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:ohdearsass: I'm almost excited to play SO3 once the shipping service stops their 2-week holiday.

The legendary side kick is so good it's listed in the tactics for speedrunning story bosses for BTs. drat...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There was once a guy who posted here that transcribed the entire Star Ocean 3 script into a word doc. A worthy use of time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Here's all you need to know about SO3: You're probably thinking it's going to be an hour, maybe two, of gametime before you're rescued from the second crash-landing and you can get on with the very time-critical plot set up in the first two hours. You're very, very, wrong.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Here's all you need to know about SO3: You're probably thinking it's going to be an hour, maybe two, of gametime before you're rescued from the second crash-landing and you can get on with the very time-critical plot set up in the first two hours. You're very, very, wrong.

That was such a dick move. I was so happy playing a futuristic rpg for once and then bam medieval planet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bleusilences posted:

That was such a dick move. I was so happy playing a futuristic rpg for once and then bam medieval planet.

What makes it worse is that it's all ultimately pointless, and nothing you do on the planet has any bearing on the rest of the plot. The entire first half the of the game is meaningless filler.

Oh, and fair warning; When you see a purple-haired girl with Nel, mute the volume before she speaks. I swear Farleen's voice is high enough to upset dogs.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 28, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I have no idea what's up with these systems and subsystems in resonance of fate but as long as I can keep up the sick 360 noscope bullet time jump action feat. dressup I don't really care

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yo, Abel's Ark is a loving rad dungeon. Looks absolutely incredible and trippy, the music is a nice remix of The One Who Bares Fangs At God, and the ES moves are starting to do absurd damage. I'm so glad I decided to keep going with this game :allears:

Yuriev is the best Xenosaga Villain. Enjoy a pretty awesome climax with him.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bleusilences posted:

That's the Star Ocean way.

Hell, in SO1 you get on a space ship, but then it takes you from a medieval world to a time machine so you can go EVEN FURTHER BACK IN TIME

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I guess the one good thing you can say about SO4 is that it does balance futuristic and primitive planets pretty nicely. SO2 was pretty good about this as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SO4 added an extra kick to its big medieval planet chapter by preventing you from killing the boss for good, because prequel and other dorks are supposed finish it off in an earlier game later.

I've just realised my one and only playthrough of SO4 has been stuck on the big space geometry station for years. That's close to the end, right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mill Village posted:

I guess the one good thing you can say about SO4 is that it does balance futuristic and primitive planets pretty nicely. SO2 was pretty good about this as well.

Plus you do move between planets in SO4 more often than in previous games. The problem is they're all big open fields with two or three unique enemies per world

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

SO4 added an extra kick to its big medieval planet chapter by preventing you from killing the boss for good, because prequel and other dorks are supposed finish it off in an earlier game later.

I've just realised my one and only playthrough of SO4 has been stuck on the big space geometry station for years. That's close to the end, right?

I think you're talking about EN II, which is right before the final dungeon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What makes it worse is that it's all ultimately pointless, and nothing you do on the planet has any bearing on the rest of the plot. The entire first half the of the game is meaningless filler.

And what makes it worse still is that's also the plot twist of Star Ocean 1 and Star Ocean 2 :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Any RPGs yet on the PS4 that make it worthy of purchase (minus DAI because PC)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rascyc posted:

As an unrepentant PS4 owner, I can honestly say that there are hardly any games in general that make it worthy of purchase so far.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rascyc posted:

RPGs in general are basically a PC/3DS thing these days, and barely a monthly thing even then.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Would you like to sample Compile Heart's amazing selection of games? Cause that's all we're getting till like, summer 2015.
Well, there is the FF-Type Zero rerelease in March I think.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

RPGs in general are basically a PC/3DS thing these days, and barely a monthly thing even then.

PS3 has pretty decent library of RPGs these days too, and still getting at least a few more. PS4 is completely dry though, and with the exception of Bloodborne I don't think there is still even any RPG announced for it you couldn't play on some other system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only franchises I can think of that have committed to the jump to PS4 are Disgaea and Neptunia, and at least one of those will probably get a vita port at some point.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HGH posted:

Would you like to sample Compile Heart's amazing selection of games? Cause that's all we're getting till like, summer 2015.
Well, there is the FF-Type Zero rerelease in March I think.

http://gematsu.com/2014/11/omega-quintet-coming-west-spring-2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GOTY

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Persona 5 will be on PS4 but PS3 and Vita (?) too. I'd take PS4 over PS3 variant every time just because faster processing/loading but the slow death of console RPG's continues.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

As an unrepentant PS4 owner, I can honestly say that there are hardly any games in general that make it worthy of purchase so far.
Yah that's what I thought on doing some searches myself. Too bad!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Rascyc posted:

Yah that's what I thought on doing some searches myself. Too bad!

No worthy exclusives but the DS4 is probably the best thing about current gen gaming. It's also nice to have a console with an interface that doesn't run like poo poo but the bone and Vita are good for that too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

bloodychill posted:

No worthy exclusives but the DS4 is probably the best thing about current gen gaming. It's also nice to have a console with an interface that doesn't run like poo poo but the bone and Vita are good for that too.

On this note, what's everybody's opinion on PSTV? Is it worth it, or am I better off shelling out the extra cash and getting a Vita? I don't care about portability, I just want access to the library of games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PSTV doesn't support Gravity Rush or Ys, two of the systems best exclusives, so I wouldn't really recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Cake Attack posted:

PSTV doesn't support Gravity Rush or Ys, two of the systems best exclusives, so I wouldn't really recommend it

On the other hand, it does support persona 4 golden.