Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Anybody familiar with the commission structure for authorized retailers? I've got an interview for a store manager position at one and I want to know what I'm getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

Anybody familiar with the commission structure for authorized retailers? I've got an interview for a store manager position at one and I want to know what I'm getting into.

Prepare for hell.

Honestly, it varies widely on high good the company is, staffing, and who your boss is. Usually a lot of pressure (as in all) goes to store managers in any company though. In general, the following tend to be bad ideas:

-heavy or all comp based (very hard to get 5-10 people to exceed goal vs just yourself)
-Salary. Holy hell salary for managers is bad. But most are salaried in some fashion

Basically, I would focus on two things: structure of pay/benefits, and what is the culture. I would want at least 50% salary and really more like 60-70% (so like, $50K base). I would secret shop as well. And def read glass door. For the work you'll do in reality a manager position should pay like $60-80K, but most indirects are probably less.

For the record, indirect isn't bad and sometimes can have more freedom, but honestly corporate tends to pay better, and the benefits are great. As an example, store manager in company stores are more like $70-90K (but salaried so you work a ton of hours). Honestly, I do fine as sales and don't plan on switching from it at the moment. Less stress, pretty equal pay.

Edit: for the record, I'm sure it'll be better than sprint retailers.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 16, 2016

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Prepare for hell.

Honestly, it varies widely on high good the company is, staffing, and who your boss is. Usually a lot of pressure (as in all) goes to store managers in any company though. In general, the following tend to be bad ideas:

-heavy or all comp based (very hard to get 5-10 people to exceed goal vs just yourself)
-Salary. Holy hell salary for managers is bad. But most are salaried in some fashion

Basically, I would focus on two things: structure of pay/benefits, and what is the culture. I would want at least 50% salary and really more like 60-70% (so like, $50K base). I would secret shop as well. And def read glass door. For the work you'll do in reality a manager position should pay like $60-80K, but most indirects are probably less.

For the record, indirect isn't bad and sometimes can have more freedom, but honestly corporate tends to pay better, and the benefits are great. As an example, store manager in company stores are more like $70-90K (but salaried so you work a ton of hours). Honestly, I do fine as sales and don't plan on switching from it at the moment. Less stress, pretty equal pay.

Edit: for the record, I'm sure it'll be better than sprint retailers.

Oh I know. I'm salaried and a manager at my retailer. It sucks. But also apparently I didn't pass the assessment for Verizon so :shrug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

Oh I know. I'm salaried and a manager at my retailer. It sucks. But also apparently I didn't pass the assessment for Verizon so :shrug:

Verizon, at least in my area, rarely hires right to manager. Usually have to go to rep first. Same with ATT, which for the record also pays well. Union sucks, they're a bit more high strung, but also good.

Overall, a good referral is honestly more important. I never got into Big Red or ATT until I had a referral get me in.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

See I've got a good friend who is a solutions manager for Corp, was applying for sales, and still wasn't able to get in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

See I've got a good friend who is a solutions manager for Corp, was applying for sales, and still wasn't able to get in.

Yeah it's tough. I applied off and on for 6 years. Plus it depends on staffing and whether there is a hiring freeze.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Can I ask here how to figure out how to upgrade my UDP line that went off contract this month? Not sure if it's too much of a hassle these days to figure out. I want to try to avoid selling and buying phones but after research it looks like that's the only method left these days. :(

Also, I think that, if my math is about right, changing to shared data or carriers ends up saving only like maybe $10 a month and then way less data, which I need for when I have long commutes.

L1 TDP NO
L2 UDP YES as of 7/5/16 (CED)
L3 BASIC YES as of 2013

Billing cycle ends 8/3/16

19% employee discount.

NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700
Account Access $50.00
Line Access Fees $29.97
Data $59.99
Messages $30.00
Estimated Total Monthly Cost (with discounts): $146.86
after taxes: $164.23

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

Can I ask here how to figure out how to upgrade my UDP line that went off contract this month? Not sure if it's too much of a hassle these days to figure out. I want to try to avoid selling and buying phones but after research it looks like that's the only method left these days. :(

Also, I think that, if my math is about right, changing to shared data or carriers ends up saving only like maybe $10 a month and then way less data, which I need for when I have long commutes.

L1 TDP NO
L2 UDP YES as of 7/5/16 (CED)
L3 BASIC YES as of 2013

Billing cycle ends 8/3/16

19% employee discount.

NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700
Account Access $50.00
Line Access Fees $29.97
Data $59.99
Messages $30.00
Estimated Total Monthly Cost (with discounts): $146.86
after taxes: $164.23

Yeah, your plan just depends on if you use it for unlimited data. If you do, keep it.

Overall, you have to buy phones outright or on device payment (same thing, just payment plan over time). That's basically it.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

When I have a longer commute I end up using a lot of data, which makes the commute bearable. But I need to get my contract extended to keep away that extra $20 for unlimited yeah? Thanks Duckman. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

When I have a longer commute I end up using a lot of data, which makes the commute bearable. But I need to get my contract extended to keep away that extra $20 for unlimited yeah? Thanks Duckman. :)

Well, I think We are on different pages so I will clarify to be clear:

Unlimited data was $30 a month on your plan while on a 2 year contract. Whenever that contract ends, it will auto go up to $50. There is no way to renew a contract, have the plan at $30, or anything like that. The line has to stay at $50 if you want unlimited data. Additionally, you have to buy all phones outright. No two year contract. You can get it on device payment (paying full price over 24 months), but that is it.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Am I correct in reading that the 3rd phase of the unlimited data price hike will commence in August?

How many of you goons still clutch to unlimited data? If so why and what are you gonna be paying? For reference I've got 450 atm, unlimited text and data, and unlimited hotspot.

I think this final price hike will put me over $170/mo. Which I admit is steep as gently caress. That being said I will still keep trucking along. Been paying full price for phones for 3 years now? Just another day at the office for me. I pry average 50+ gigs/mo. No other carrier can do for me what I need so it's an easy choice to keep paying the premium. Until an MIB shows up at my door step and forces my phone out of my cold, dead hand, Verizon will have to continue to suffer me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The final nail in the coffin for ULD is probably going to be 5G. That's going to be way faster than most people's broadband connections, so I could see their justification for not wanting ULD to extend to it. Then again, if there was a way to continue on 4G/LTE-A, I'd probably elect to do that.

He'll, I'd be tempted to use it as a wireless modem if it cracked 500Mbps, let alone up to the 1-10Gbps range.

Or they're going to keep ratcheting up the cost by $20/month every 6-12 months until it reaches a breaking point for most holdouts.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 18, 2016

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

cuedotcom posted:

Am I correct in reading that the 3rd phase of the unlimited data price hike will commence in August?

The only folks getting an increase in their UDP cost will be the ones who are still paying $30 a month. It's not going to increase again for the folks already paying $50.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm seeing what's listed as unlimited business class Verizon jet packs on ebay for like $40 but they say service is like $130/month. Is this legit or nah?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

I'm seeing what's listed as unlimited business class Verizon jet packs on ebay for like $40 but they say service is like $130/month. Is this legit or nah?

Doubt it can be transferred to a personal accounts. I don't know what they are, but People say Verizon does have some crazy plans for accounts like Government.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Doubt it can be transferred to a personal accounts. I don't know what they are, but People say Verizon does have some crazy plans for accounts like Government.

Yeah my dad has a state government job and he has an unlimited data jetpack.

My parents have DSL at their house and get like 1.5mbps from it and they have this jetpack sitting there that can pull way better speeds, but they are afraid to use his jetpack for personal use.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Verizon prepaid gets throttling:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=17939

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I wonder if any of you Verizon employees can help me out here in regards to plans and switching. I've got a coworker who is currently on TMobile and pretty much doesn't have a working phone at home. He's looking to bring, I believe, two lines over with him. I'm not sure if he is still on contract or not but that can be figured out later.

Long story short are there any deals anyone transferring in to Verizon as far as light data plans go? I doubt he'll need more that 5gb a month. Maybe not even 2gb since he'll mostly be in an area with wifi at all times.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

I wonder if any of you Verizon employees can help me out here in regards to plans and switching. I've got a coworker who is currently on TMobile and pretty much doesn't have a working phone at home. He's looking to bring, I believe, two lines over with him. I'm not sure if he is still on contract or not but that can be figured out later.

Long story short are there any deals anyone transferring in to Verizon as far as light data plans go? I doubt he'll need more that 5gb a month. Maybe not even 2gb since he'll mostly be in an area with wifi at all times.

Pick on for two plans:
$35 for 2GB or $50 for 4GB
$20 a line * 2 = $40

For total of $75 or $90 monthly.

Pick phones, buy outright or on payment plan. Verizon offers trade in on most phones, so depends on what phones they have.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Don't laugh, but will Big Red ever get any new Windows Phones?

I really feel like picking up a used Nokia Lumia Icon or a M8 Windows for shits and giggles on Swappa.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JayKay posted:

Will anybody?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

bull3964 posted:

Will anybody?

hopefully not

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JayKay posted:

No.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Pick on for two plans:
$35 for 2GB or $50 for 4GB
$20 a line * 2 = $40

For total of $75 or $90 monthly.

Pick phones, buy outright or on payment plan. Verizon offers trade in on most phones, so depends on what phones they have.

Thanks. He still owns money for his phones on TMobile so I don't know what happens with that. Otherwise he's going to switch because he pays about $90 for lovely TMo service that doesn't even work where he lives.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

Thanks. He still owns money for his phones on TMobile so I don't know what happens with that. Otherwise he's going to switch because he pays about $90 for lovely TMo service that doesn't even work where he lives.

Verizon will pay off the phone if you trade it in and get new phone on payment plan.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon will pay off the phone if you trade it in and get new phone on payment plan.

Offer valid at non-corporate stores? That's the bad thing with where we live in the lower slower Delaware.

edit: My buddy checked out the Verizon, I assume, authorized retailer inside our local BJ's. Told me they quoted him $130 for a family plan with two lines and 4GB of internet. Said he'll probably wait for the new iphones to come out. Oh well!

averox fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 20, 2016

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/20/verizon-unlimited-data-rip-tetherers/

Anything more on this?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Wow, just wow

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
heil verizon master race

I'm sure they're going to use this to weed out the top 1%, then they'll move on to the rest of us.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
When they came for the excessive users I said nothing

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No, thus haven't said anything yet, which on something like that isn't surprising.

They finally add throttling to plans and won't add it to unlimited data is my surprise out of this.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Duckman2008 posted:

No, thus haven't said anything yet, which on something like that isn't surprising.

They finally add throttling to plans and won't add it to unlimited data is my surprise out of this.

The FCC fined AT&T $100M and there's still an open FTC court case regarding AT&T's throttling of unlimited, so I suspect VZW doesn't want to explore those same issues with the regulators.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm assuming their intent is to cut off the customers who pull down half a terabyte worth of torrents a month, but I'd be curious to see what the threshold actually is.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Ars has a story on this, looks like they are going after those who use 100gb or over a month.

For now anyway

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

100 gigglybits are a lot

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Goober Peas posted:

100 gigglybits are a lot

I pay for unlimited data and unlimited hotspot and i use around 100. Its my only internet at home.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

chicagobutters posted:

I pay for unlimited data and unlimited hotspot and i use around 100. Its my only internet at home.

I am in the same boat. I pay for UDP as well as the tethering. Curious if I'll hear anything from them. I have no idea what my average use is but I've definitely gone over 100 before.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Someone on Reddit who seemed in the know said it would probably only affect about 1000 people

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/4tstuk/ooc_unlimited_data_high_usage_lines_forced_to/d5l0dmw

On one hand it sucks they're calling it unlimited and then clearly imposing a limit. But on the other, if you're out of contract then that means just as you no longer have an obligation to buy their service, they no longer have an obligation to sell it to you.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Hey folks, I'm a dirty dirty Sprint customer, but a friend is on Verizon. She is currently in Germany for the next 2 weeks, and Verizon wants to charge her 10 bucks a day to continue using her phone (Samsung Galaxy S6).

Can anyone suggest some other solution? Can she buy a prepaid SIM card and just go ham? Or is there something else she could/should do?

• Locked thread