Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God I forgot about a bunch of these. We really are in a wave of quality horror movies right now, aren't we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think my list would probably be:
1/2: X/Pearl double feature
3: Evil Dead Rise
4: Malignant
5: History of the Occult
6: Nope
7: Invisible Man
8: Candyman
9: Barbarian
10: Orphan First Kill (I guess)

Honestly the first 9 were kinda the only ones I really liked, after that there's a pretty precipitous drop to things I thought were just fine, or had big reservations about. Maybe Psycho Goreman would go in at 10, I dunno that movie is really in a class of its own and it's hard to judge against the others.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

10 of 2020’s (so far)

We still got so much of this decade to go.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Psycho Goreman isn't particularly horror in the same way that Tucker and Dale vs Evil isn't. I just liked it because it was tongue in cheek fun. The age of Drama Horrors and the response to that genre has produced a lot of over serious horrors. Kind of like how the latest two Evil Deads kind of missed the point of the slapstick fun of the original trilogy. I would love to see more Return of the Living Dead style movies that are just a fun time around the harrowing outcomes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
PG isn't scary but it plays with horror tropes a bit, it's maybe more comedy adventure sci-fi that has a certain kind of transgressive sarcasm that really belongs to a certain kind of horror fan. Combined with how goopy it is I think it kind of earns its horror wings even if it's not really itself horror.

Tucker and Dale is just explicitly horror comedy though, it deals exclusively with horror tropes and even has a loving slasher for a villain.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If it has the aesthetics of horror and some blood and goop it can easily be argued as horror in my eyes. Horror is broad and that's what makes it beautiful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PG has monsters and gore. It’s a horror movie

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I meant more in the idea that there's a difference between Horror Comedy and Comedy Horror. They're both still horrors but Horror Comedy is more tongue in cheek and whacky compared to Comedy Horror which uses comedy as relief for more serious subject matter. Tucker and Dale, Psycho Goreman, Shaun of the Dead, those feel like they fall more into the Horror Comedy aspect where they're quite clearly funny films that use horror as an element. Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead, From Beyond, Return of the Living Dead, those feel more like Comedy Horrors where they feature comedy to lighten up situations but still are aiming to be scary.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

PG has monsters and gore

Its right there in the name, even

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

They’re just descriptive labels for communication, not to prescribe how you can think about films. Just say “a horror film with strong comedic elements” or something on the rare occasion you need to specify something like that, rather than make up a weird code and pretend everyone else is supposed to know what you mean.

I think the necessities of video-store organization have done massive damage to our brains. You’re not putting movies in a box discrete from other boxes, you’re indexing their characteristics.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nah genre gatekeeping is good and its not a horror movie just bc its bloody

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

I meant more in the idea that there's a difference between Horror Comedy and Comedy Horror. They're both still horrors but Horror Comedy is more tongue in cheek and whacky compared to Comedy Horror which uses comedy as relief for more serious subject matter. Tucker and Dale, Psycho Goreman, Shaun of the Dead, those feel like they fall more into the Horror Comedy aspect where they're quite clearly funny films that use horror as an element. Cabin in the Woods, Evil Dead, From Beyond, Return of the Living Dead, those feel more like Comedy Horrors where they feature comedy to lighten up situations but still are aiming to be scary.

I see no difference.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
2020s top 5
The Night House ( can't believe more people did not include it)
Malignant
Godzilla Minus One
Nope
Barbarian

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CelticPredator posted:

I see no difference.

I do. I think there's a significant difference if the director is aiming to make the audience laugh first or feel fear first.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

dorium posted:

snagged a ticket for Late Night With the Devil for a Thursday screening. Looking forward to that this week now.

I got mine too. Currently working on who do I have to bribe with lemon squares or pizzelles to get the poster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

I do. I think there's a significant difference if the director is aiming to make the audience laugh first or feel fear first.

I don’t find movies very scary so I’m just looking to watch something neat.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
well yeah but something being neat in the sense of horror is distinct even if it doesn't really scare you.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Got my ticket to see Immaculate Friday morning :hellyeah:

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Christopher Landon has a spark that the other directors trying to ape his style just aren't hitting. I'll be there opening night on whatever he does next.

:same:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

They’re just descriptive labels for communication, not to prescribe how you can think about films. Just say “a horror film with strong comedic elements” or something on the rare occasion you need to specify something like that, rather than make up a weird code and pretend everyone else is supposed to know what you mean.

I think the necessities of video-store organization have done massive damage to our brains. You’re not putting movies in a box discrete from other boxes, you’re indexing their characteristics.

Yup, I think the Blockbuster example is spot on. Trying to organize something that can be very complex, like a movie, into one of a dozen little categories is fine as a very general reference. But it can never be perfect. There are going to be lots of them that aren’t completely one thing or the other. Genres are big umbrellas. Being rigid about them is a massive waste of time.

Like it’s not going to retroactively ruin and make useless the entire concept of genre if the Blockbuster put “Silence of the Lambs” in horror but you think it’s a thriller (because there are no draculas). It’s a hard movie to categorize, who gives a poo poo talk about the movie instead of trying to figure out if it’s Thriller Horror or Horror Thriller.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 19, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

who gives a poo poo talk about the movie instead of trying to figure out if it’s Thriller Horror or Horror Thriller.

me. and its def the former

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

tomato tomato

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's possible that Mad God is the best of the 2020s so far? I dunno but it came to mind right away. I'll be honest it hasn't been my favorite decade up to this point.

not just possible but likely!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It's possible that Mad God is the best of the 2020s so far? I dunno but it came to mind right away. I'll be honest it hasn't been my favorite decade up to this point.

Not only do I recommend Stopmotion if you're a fan of elements of Mad God, they're currently being sold together as a bundle for $20 on digital retailer Vudu/Fandango At Home

Chris James 2 posted:

Stopmotion is now available on VOD services

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Debr5KI1QIU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My 2020s top horror:

1) Godzilla Minus One
2) The Invisible Man
3) Host
4) Pearl
5) Prey
6) X
7) Barbarian
8) Skinamarink
9) Nope
10) The Black Phone

I haven't seen Host since it came out, I dunno if it'd hit as hard BUT I loved it so much when it came out. There's also about 10 more movies that could have battled for those bottom 3 spots - it's been a good couple of years for horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crimes of the Future
The Empty Man
Mad God
The Night House
Pearl
Possessor
Skinamarink
Titane
When Evil Lurks
The Wolf of Snow Hollow

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

M_Sinistrari posted:

I got mine too. Currently working on who do I have to bribe with lemon squares or pizzelles to get the poster.

I just realized Immaculate is out this weekend too. Nice little weekend for horror (and ignoring the new Ghostbusters movie).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

dorium posted:

(and ignoring the new Ghostbusters movie).

I plan on it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

tomato tomato

nah it’s tomato tomato

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

dorium posted:

(and ignoring the new Ghostbusters movie).

i wish i could bleach the last one out of my goddamn brain, so this one at least almost has to be an improvement

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nikumatic posted:

i wish i could bleach the last one out of my goddamn brain, so this one at least almost has to be an improvement

I have not seen a Ghostbusters anything since Ghostbusters II, and that decision just keeps paying dividends.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WeaponX posted:

who gives a poo poo talk about the movie instead of trying to figure out if it’s Thriller Horror or Horror Thriller.

I do and it's not like there's a limited time to talk about movies. You can explore nuances in a genre and policing that is weird.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What about policing the definition of an AD?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If we're counting Godzilla Minus One as a horror movie, then yeah, that's on my favorites of the 2020s list for sure.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm old fashioned but I reckon the giant lizard terrorizing and destroying a nation of people could be scary to some folk

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What about policing the definition of an AD?

only the Lord can do that in Anno Domini 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Doltos posted:

I'm old fashioned but I reckon the giant lizard terrorizing and destroying a nation of people could be scary to some folk
True. I don't know, I guess I was thinking of it more as a sci-fi movie.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

I do and it's not like there's a limited time to talk about movies. You can explore nuances in a genre and policing that is weird.

Nobody is policing anything, knock yourself out. Obviously genre is an important and complex thing but arguing if something is horror-comedy or comedy-horror is not my idea of a good time.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Some faves of the 2020s

History of the occult
X/pearl
Godzilla minus one
Barbarian
Fear Street Trilogy
Nope
Prey
I’m thinking of ending things
Titane

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Nobody is policing anything, knock yourself out. Obviously genre is an important and complex thing but arguing if something is horror-comedy or comedy-horror is not my idea of a good time.

It is for me. I mean it could be the autism but I love putting movies into genre categories and debating it. Thats the point I think the poster your replying to is trying to make: its not YOUR idea of a good time, but it is to some people!

If saying a movie is or isnt horror doesnt bother you and genre labels dont matter, then let the people who it DOES matter to discuss it without calling us gatekeepers or making us feel bad for enjoying organizing and categorizing movies and genre.

Its not an insult to a movie if its not a horror movie. Its okay to discuss non-horror movies itt, and its also okay to (as long as its respectful) debate and discuss if a movie is or isnt horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have not seen a Ghostbusters anything since Ghostbusters II, and that decision just keeps paying dividends.

The 2009 game is worth a look, it's very OG Ghostbusters. They brought the whole cast back except for Sigourney and Rick Moranis. I think there was a remaster a few years ago.