Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheHan posted:

Would Marvel really put all the minorities in a separate but equal line of books and make the Avengers Just The White Guys™ Again? You'd think that if they knew Secret Empire was a marketing fiasco they'd shelve Captain America for a bit at least.

We have a separate but equal minority subforum. What makes you think marvel would do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Squirrel Girl ending for a team book is the worst thing there.

I mean, North making her work better in the larger universe would be great and all, but it could never be the same thing (unless the New Warriors are just her, Chipmunk Hunk, Koi Boi and that brain robot :))

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Teenage Fansub posted:

Squirrel Girl ending for a team book is the worst thing there.

I mean, North making her work better in the larger universe would be great and all, but it could never be the same thing (unless the New Warriors are just her, Chipmunk Hunk, Koi Boi and that brain robot :))

I'd be fine with that being the team, but it seems unlikely. I assume they'll be going with something similar to next year's New Warriors TV line up. Corporate synergy, and all that. If the creative team moves with SG, I'm not panicking. Still, I'd rather her solo book continue as well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So does this mean Ewing's Ultimates is ending????? That loving sucks. Really sucks.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lurdiak posted:

It's not racist if it's "classic".

I'm presuming your main dig here is at the shoe-horning of a bunch of the new characters into their own book as opposed to the "classic" Avengers getting their own book again? Because I'd love to see a bunch of the classic characters helm the Avengers title again, with some of the newer ones sprinkled in.

Jiro posted:

So does this mean Ewing's Ultimates is ending????? That loving sucks. Really sucks.

That really sucks, because nobody is going to be able to replicate his tone and within a little while we'll be back to Galactus the World-Eater and Lord Chaos and Master Order as independent celestial beings again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nilbop posted:

I'm presuming your main dig here is at the shoe-horning of a bunch of the new characters into their own book as opposed to the "classic" Avengers getting their own book again? Because I'd love to see a bunch of the classic characters helm the Avengers title again, with some of the newer ones sprinkled in.

I'm saying dipshits will defend a completely white, mostly male cast by pointing out that it used to be like that in the original 60s comics. It's not racist if we're just regurgitating media from the past(which was racist).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I can get behind quite a few of those creative teams for stuff like Spirits of Vengeance and Captain Marvel. But, I'm not believing any of that until there's actual confirmation.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'm saying dipshits will defend a completely white, mostly male cast by pointing out that it used to be like that in the original 60s comics. It's not racist if we're just regurgitating media from the past(which was racist).

Who is doing this? I've never seen anyone make this arguement (but I've seen a lot of people say others are making it) and I have been scouring this place to see someone defend the old costumes and line-up because I hate them and I freaked out when I mistakenly thought Legacy was replacing the current line-up with their goofy 60s counterparts.

I'll defend a mostly white (though I don't care if it's completely white) mostly male cast because those are the characters I like. My dream Avengers line-up is Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Thor Odinson, Bruce Banner, Logan, Carol Danvers and Kamala. That's heavily skewed to white guys because those are the characters I like. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 9, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nilbop posted:

That really sucks, because nobody is going to be able to replicate his tone and within a little while we'll be back to Galactus the World-Eater and Lord Chaos and Master Order as independent celestial beings again.

I would imagine the latter is going to be happening by the end of his story anyway.

The last few times people have posted rumors from anonymous idiots on 4chan all turned out to be bullshit so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for confirmation on any of that stuff above. Remember that similar DC post from a few months ago? Not a single thing in there turned out to be true.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
true but when you had the entire plot of Civil War II basically spelled out on /co/ months in advance you can't dismiss things out of hand

Plus none of this scans as impossible or even unlikely to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I would imagine the latter is going to be happening by the end of his story anyway.

The last few times people have posted rumors from anonymous idiots on 4chan all turned out to be bullshit so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for confirmation on any of that stuff above. Remember that similar DC post from a few months ago? Not a single thing in there turned out to be true.

Well, other than the various upcoming teams (which will either be verified in the near future or not), most is just internal turmoil that won't ever be verified one way or another, or at least not any time soon.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If all that info isn't real, then it's one of the most well-constructed and self-coherent fictive narratives I've seen.

Maybe the guy should work for Marvel or something! :v:

I do think that at least a bit of it is just his (or her) own personal impressions of things they might not have full unbiased detailed specifics on, even if he is a legit insider.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
About 90% of that wouldn't have been very far off from what I would have written if I were making up poo poo from what's known. That's from an outside perspective if I just tracked what's been going on and filled in the details with fluff.

I'm leaning more towards legitimate because, if you're making up THAT much, the odds of some crazy slipping in would be a bit higher than what's actually there; it's a fairly level headed working response.

I'd think it hilarious if "Morrison" is actually being used as an adjective within the industry to that degree.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Nilbop posted:

Who is doing this? I've never seen anyone make this arguement (but I've seen a lot of people say others are making it) and I have been scouring this place to see someone defend the old costumes and line-up because I hate them and I freaked out when I mistakenly thought Legacy was replacing the current line-up with their goofy 60s counterparts.

I'll defend a mostly white (though I don't care if it's completely white) mostly male cast because those are the characters I like. My dream Avengers line-up is Tony Stark, Peter Parker, Thor Odinson, Bruce Banner, Logan, Carol Danvers and Kamala. That's heavily skewed to white guys because those are the characters I like. There's nothing wrong with that.

That's because disparate impact doesn't necessarily mean disparate treatment, but both sides are usually too lazy or too dumb to actually bring that up/understand that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

There is something wrong with that...it's just that it's not a problem about you, specifically.

This is simply my wildest guess, but the reason that this mostly white, mostly male cast just so coincidentally happen to be the characters you like most might be because those are the characters and team dynamics that have been highlighted the most and examined the most and done the most justice by creators in the past. Like it's prooobably not an accident that literally every male character you listed has had multiple high-profile solo film outings; of course a lot of people are going to want to see them more, since they're the ones that everyone has the most exposure to, the ones whose portrayals have received the most care and detail. How can characters who haven't been so lavishly catered-to in the past -- who, y'know, just so happen to be female or non-white, completely by accident obvs -- hope to compete with that?

So creators are just going to continue giving this preferential exposure and attention to male, non-white characters because that's what people just so happen to be most attached to, which causes people to continue to be attached to them, and on we go. Someone has to break that cycle at some point, because there is something wrong with that. There is something observably, quantifiably wrong with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

. There's nothing wrong with that.

Yes there is. You like those characters because they're the ones who keep getting spotlights. Because they keep getting spotlights you treat it as them being better and not simply having more stories and more time to get good writers to define them. By demanding them continue to get the spotlight you deny other characters the chance to become more significant.

"I only want the characters I know I like" doesn't even make any sense. If you think the writer is good couldn't they make you like a character you didn't know about? If you think the writer is bad is the book going to be better because Peter Parker is there even if he's being written awfully?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 9, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love all the new characters but I'm not exactly sure what Marvel can really do if they don't sell. You can't even point to it being a problem with the story because most of these characters have critically acclaimed stories and are the books that everyone talks about being the best at Marvel. But if they they don't sell I'm not sure what you can do. The writers that write these characters well aren't writers that are going to move a needle in sales and Marvel isn't running a not-for-profit here. DC is selling well because it's gone back to basics and is taking very little chance outside of stuff like the Young Animal line. If that's what the market demands that's what it demands. Maybe comic fans are indeed so stuck in their stupid ways that they can't handle not having their basic characters back. Maybe they do have a limit to how much new stuff they'll accept at once before it goes too over the line for them. It's dumb because I love reading new stories about new characters and I also love the old ones too. I get as much enjoyment from a great issue of Unstoppable Wasp as I do a great issue of Superman. But I'm not the typical buyer it seems. But I also understand it's a company and they have to make money so if a book isn't working I can't cry too much because they're not supposed to be making books for the hell of it to send a message as nice as that would be.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Are there any really good Blade series on MU? I only see the Guggenheim Blade, but I was thinking maybe there was a different name that was used for Blade?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Are there any really good Blade series on MU? I only see the Guggenheim Blade, but I was thinking maybe there was a different name that was used for Blade?

Well, one would have to exist in order for it to be on there and I don't think it does yet. I mean outside of his guest appearances in other books the Tomb of Dracula appearances are about the only decent Blade there is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Well, one would have to exist in order for it to be on there and I don't think it does yet. I mean outside of his guest appearances in other books the Tomb of Dracula appearances are about the only decent Blade there is.

Well, that's a disappointment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Well, that's a disappointment.

I think the longest Blade run besides the Guggenheim book was the MAX run and that was six issues.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Captain Britain and MI13 has Blade in it and is very good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Captain Britain and MI13 has Blade in it and is very good.

Yeah that and Mighty Avengers were primarily the books I was thinking of when I said guesting in other books. There was also some vampire stuff with X-Men that I never read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been off the internet all day but someone on FB said Al Ewing is leaving Marvel but I can find no verification.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yes there is. You like those characters because they're the ones who keep getting spotlights. Because they keep getting spotlights you treat it as them being better and not simply having more stories and more time to get good writers to define them. By demanding them continue to get the spotlight you deny other characters the chance to become more significant.

"I only want the characters I know I like" doesn't even make any sense. If you think the writer is good couldn't they make you like a character you didn't know about? If you think the writer is bad is the book going to be better because Peter Parker is there even if he's being written awfully?

I like them because they're fun characters that have had enjoyable stories written about them that I enjoy. Their exposure has bugger all to do with me liking them, it just means I'm more likely to see them. If exposure was all that mattered Roman Reigns would be the most popular wrestler in the world.

Likewise, to respond to another valid point - newer characters respond to the challenge of getting noticed by having entertaining stories written about them that make people want to read more.Thats how Spider-Man, Wolverine and everybody else got there. The Marvel back catalogue is riddled with projects that didn't work, there was nothing destined about any of them. There's much more competition in the field now, but you can't blame Marvel for printing what the fans want and you can't blame the fans for wanting it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Their exposure has bugger all to do with me liking them, it just means I'm more likely to see them.
But if you didn't see them, then how would you have liked them in the first place? Of course there's more to liking characters than just seeing them, but don't you think that at bare minimum there's a much better chance for audiences to become attracted to characters that they're actually aware of? And that's even before we get into those characters being pampered with the big movies and high-profile comics and big name writers.

It's not just a matter of newer characters not being able to make the cut, either. There are tons of older female or non-white characters that are established parts of Marvel (and DC) history and yet never seem to make the cut on anyone's "iconic" lineups.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Me not seeing them doesn't effect their quality. The longer they sustain that quality over time the more likely they are to be noticed.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Nilbop posted:

Likewise, to respond to another valid point - newer characters respond to the challenge of getting noticed by having entertaining stories written about them that make people want to read more.Thats how Spider-Man, Wolverine and everybody else got there. The Marvel back catalogue is riddled with projects that didn't work, there was nothing destined about any of them. There's much more competition in the field now, but you can't blame Marvel for printing what the fans want and you can't blame the fans for wanting it.

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the success of Spider-Man in 1962 with Miles Morales in 2017. The comic book industry is vastly different now from how it was back then, so of course a character introduced six years ago won't be able to suddenly bootstrap their way up to the level of one who's been around for over 50 years. The legacy characters have toys, cartoons, movies, and songs about them.

That being said, it isn't like these new characters aren't popular in their own right. Even if their solo titles can't compare to a classic hero in sales, simply putting them on a team with those classic characters could appeal to both markets, instead of having a line of books solely for crusty old fans and one for crusty new ones.

I guess the fact of it is the comic book industry is a deeply flawed and archaic system that not only resists change, but finds change to be actively harmful to their business model.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I didn't the Squirrel Girl ending. gently caress that unless the team book was still North and Henderson. They single handedly turned a joke character in something seen more seriously. Not to mention one of the most consistently funny and joyful comics where everything else is mired in trying to be as dark and depressing it popular.

My Avengers team would be a New Might Avengers team lead by Captain Marvel, with Spider-Woman, Wolverine, Black Widow, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Rogue. There's never been an serious all lady Avengers, and that's a good diverse group of personalities.

I'd also have something like Justice League Dark, a group of more magical and demonic characters; Blade, Elsa Bloodstone, Hellcat, Nico, either Hellstrum or Satana, and Doctor Voodoo.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

twistedmentat posted:

My Avengers team would be a New Might Avengers team lead by Captain Marvel, with Spider-Woman, Wolverine, Black Widow, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Rogue. There's never been an serious all lady Avengers, and that's a good diverse group of personalities.

Well, now I'm sad I'll never get to read that book.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

You are missing a Captain America. :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

rantmo posted:

Well, now I'm sad I'll never get to read that book.

Yea, and if it went how I'd hope it, it would focus on them being heroes and conflicting personalities, not that they are women.

Mr Hootington posted:

You just need a Captain, not a specially America.

But I do think I have the standard team members; the Leader, the Smart one, the funny one, the rookie, the cold one, the party animal and the quiet religious one that goes crazy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

ok bring in luke cage's daughter from the future

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Me not seeing them doesn't effect their quality. The longer they sustain that quality over time the more likely they are to be noticed.
And the more likely they are to be noticed, the more likely they are to sustain any quality. We can go back and forth on this forever, which is why it's a cycle.

And like, as I keep saying, there are other female or non-white Marvel characters who have been around just as long as those guys, if not longer. So when your off-the-top-of-head list of favorites don't include them and just so happens to be majority male and white anyway, you have to figure there's some reason for that which isn't simply "I just don't like female or non-white characters."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Anonymous 4Chan "Marvel Insider" is back!

1. Spider-Gwen is "on her way out" with "occasional guest spots", all other "alt spider characters" are getting phased out to focus on Peter.
2. "Branding research" is being done for a Black Cat/Silver Sable/Spider-Woman/Arachne "Birds of Prey" style book.
3. Justin Jordan's Moon Knight is an attempt to "replicate Vision" in terms of "the one book that gets on year-end lists".
4. Doom is no longer Iron Man because "the audience would be confused" by the story.
5. Maximum Carnage II coming in the next year or so.

I don't know, it's getting more and more vague and kind of suspect. I suppose we'll see.

Blockhouse posted:

true but when you had the entire plot of Civil War II basically spelled out on /co/ months in advance you can't dismiss things out of hand
When was this? I remember someone getting ahold of the script (back when Ulysses was Homer?) for the first issue several months before the comic shipped, but that was on NeoGAF. The last big SPOILERS FROM 4CHAN thing I can find is someone explaining (completely inaccurately) the basis for the Inhumans/X-Men status quo after Secret Wars:

quote:

Scott basically went public with the fact that the Terrigen Mist was killing mutants. This led to a massacre of several hundred Inhumans by evil mutants orchestrated by Quentin Quires using the Hellfire Club’s resources.

In the ensuing madness, Teen Jean tried to seize control over Scott’s mind and reprogram his brain to rid him of EVERYTHING Rightclops related. Scott responded by unleashing the Void sliver from his brain into Teen Jean’s which basically mindraped her so badly, she quit being a super-hero and went into hiding.

The thing that Brevoort is claiming will REALLY upset fans, is the big reveal that Quentin is now a mass murderer and that the bulk of the Yost/Aaron/Generation Hope Jr X-Men are now his “Marauders”. Idie is not part of the group, and a major part of the An-AD book will be Idie, Laura, and the rest of the Teen X-Men fighting Quentin’s plans to kill all of the Inhumans.

Similarly, the Magneto X-Men team in Uncanny X-Men is going to be working with Scott in secret.
It went on, and besides "X-Haven is Limbo" it's pretty much 100% wrong.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Jiro posted:

This being true would leave Aaron's Thor as the only non-Star Wars Marvel comic I buy monthly.

Watching the comics I read get canceled is discouraging.

Manatee Cannon posted:

This was my first thought too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

She fits the captain America slot

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could invite over the black female Captain American from Spider-Gwen's reality, too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Edge & Christian posted:

Anonymous 4Chan "Marvel Insider" is back!

1. Spider-Gwen is "on her way out"

What a bold prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man.
https://twitter.com/TJoyceChin/status/883471363586965504
Consider the Legacy cover efforts to that for a sec.

e: It's a zoom out of this.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 9, 2017

• Locked thread