Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah the game thinks I should be bronze 5 because my mmr is poo poo from only playing qm from beta until last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

biznatchio posted:

I've never seen anything from Blizzard that's said personal rank adjustment takes your current win/loss rate into account. Everything they've said is that it's based on the discrepancy between your rank and your MMR only.

It's more that the two are highly highly correlated. A discrepancy in rank and MMR and a high win/loss streak that is.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 8, 2018

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

Yeah the game thinks I should be bronze 5 because my mmr is poo poo from only playing qm from beta until last season

This is the hell I was / am stuck in.

I've never played a MOBA before. Started playing this game a little over a year ago. Played QM forever. Tried ranked and was placed in Bronze 5. Took a season off, and focused on playing better. Tried ranked this season and got placed in Bronze 2 (8-2 record in placements) and only one game away from advancement. I went 6-2 over my next 8 games and now need at least 3 games (assuming 200pts per win 417 pts) for advancement.

Multiple times over the past 4 months I've grouped with people in Gold and Plat and have held my own just fine. I don't think I'm amazing at this game but I'm now routinely better than the Bronze 5 cesspool I play with. A 75% win rate (no matter how small the sample size) shouldn't have pulled me backwards. :negative:

I think I am done, haha.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When did you get pulled backwards?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

This is the hell I was / am stuck in.

I've never played a MOBA before. Started playing this game a little over a year ago. Played QM forever. Tried ranked and was placed in Bronze 5. Took a season off, and focused on playing better. Tried ranked this season and got placed in Bronze 2 (8-2 record in placements) and only one game away from advancement. I went 6-2 over my next 8 games and now need at least 3 games (assuming 200pts per win 417 pts) for advancement.

Multiple times over the past 4 months I've grouped with people in Gold and Plat and have held my own just fine. I don't think I'm amazing at this game but I'm now routinely better than the Bronze 5 cesspool I play with. A 75% win rate (no matter how small the sample size) shouldn't have pulled me backwards. :negative:

I think I am done, haha.

Yeah last season it placed me bronze 1 and I did better in placements this season but it decided I should be bronze 5. My last 20 games I've gone 16 - 4 and that's only been enough to just about get me to my promotion match to bronze 2

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
If you actually have a 75% win rate and are not gaining rank, then you should file a support ticket because something is wrong.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

moush posted:

If you actually have a 75% win rate and are not gaining rank, then you should file a support ticket because something is wrong.

I am gaining rank, just really slowly because of the PRA

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Never mind what I said, the Butcher on our team this game ended with 30 meat at level 20.

I'm stuck in lovely gold and I've had several butchers who don't even farm meat and think its overrated to get 200. What the gently caress.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Had some Anub raging about "how come i'm always on a poo poo team". As he dives 1v4, never helps peal, never sets up anything for our assassins. Hmm maybe you're "always" on a poo poo team because....hmmm

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Gaining rank sucks man, especially since placements matter so much. I went 5-5 in my TL placements playing with diamond / Master friends while it slotted my MMR around (won first 3) and ended up gold 2 somehow. Despite being Plat 1 last season d3 season before and master season before that.

I'm chugging along at close to a 65% win rate over 60ish games and I'm just now up to Plat 3 - _-. It will take real dedication to get back to even diamond 3 this season.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Had some Anub raging about "how come i'm always on a poo poo team". As he dives 1v4, never helps peal, never sets up anything for our assassins. Hmm maybe you're "always" on a poo poo team because....hmmm

Oh it sounds like he was "peal"ing quite a bit :smug:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm stuck in lovely gold and I've had several butchers who don't even farm meat and think its overrated to get 200. What the gently caress.

Haha, playing Butcher without your quest done is so unsatisfying I can't actually imagine someone who chooses to play him and ignores meat. Like just play Raynor at that point.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Gaining rank sucks man, especially since placements matter so much. I went 5-5 in my TL placements playing with diamond / Master friends while it slotted my MMR around (won first 3) and ended up gold 2 somehow. Despite being Plat 1 last season d3 season before and master season before that.

I'm chugging along at close to a 65% win rate over 60ish games and I'm just now up to Plat 3 - _-. It will take real dedication to get back to even diamond 3 this season.

It "only" takes 65 hours of play time to go up one league with a 60% win rate. The system is really bad at placing you where you should be unless you play it like it's your job.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

Oh it sounds like he was "peal"ing quite a bit :smug:

what a blunder

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've never seen someone in a rank that they didn't belong and I assume most people complaining about where they are at are lying considerably about some aspect of their performance.

I duo with low rated friends all the time and we get some really circus gently caress games. My best friend has a Heart of Gold but the Decision-Making of Bronze (in League of Legends he was Bronze V the absolute bottom).

I try to actively micro-manage where he's headed when we are setting up for fights and he'll still wander into a 1v3or4 and die at least 2 or 3 times per match. He absent mindedly split pushes all the time. He ignores major things happening on the map. That's just how it is. I'm trying to help him get Silver this season (Gold is probably impossible). He carries me in Rocket League so it makes up for it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

bamhand posted:

It "only" takes 65 hours of play time to go up one league with a 60% win rate. The system is really bad at placing you where you should be unless you play it like it's your job.

I have poo poo mmr from playing QM since beta and I honestly believe if I made a smurf account it would place me at least 2 leagues higher than I am. But I have almost every character on this account and tons of cool skins and I don't want to start over.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
One thing I've definitely noticed grouping with goons is misapplications of "good" habits. Like, if a lane is being left unsoaked, it's not often the right thing to do as morales as cover it. Or going to the non-immortal lane to soak as the main ranged DPS on the team, on defense. Or backing to de-push a big wave as muradin.

When playing with people better than me, they either consciously get me to play my correct role ("falstad back to clear wave then fly in") or just nudge me to by making sure all the incorrect ones are already provided for. It makes me feel like a good player.

When playing with people the same skill level or worse than me, I don't have the leadership or multitasking skills to get the team organized, and often find myself in the above situations and it feels arbitrary whether the team clicks/wins or not. I have a feeling that those arbitrary wins are when everyone getting roles/heroes they're super comfortable with, in absence of a god-sent shot-caller.

edit:

Libertine posted:

I try to actively micro-manage where he's headed when we are setting up for fights and he'll still wander into a 1v3or4 and die at least 2 or 3 times per match. He absent mindedly split pushes all the time. He ignores major things happening on the map. That's just how it is. I'm trying to help him get Silver this season (Gold is probably impossible). He carries me in Rocket League so it makes up for it.

And yeah, if this dude is on a split push hero and the rest of the team plays accordingly, you prob do fine. Otherwise it's a trainwreck.

ninguno fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2018

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So thought I'd load up ol' hero league. Ended up with a solo assassin genji with d'va as our main tank on braxis. D'va immediately goes afk.

I don't think the people on my team knew who Sonya was? They were confused on why we should have "2 tanks", and some guy pipes in and says it's ok Sonya is like Varian.

edit: Welp next game guy says "tankiest I have is Sonya". How can you only have 1 warrior??

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 9, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

appropriatemetaphor posted:

and some guy pipes in and says it's ok Sonya is like Varian.

She has two blades, it checks out.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

bamhand posted:

Really? I'm not questioning whether or not it's true, but is it from napkin math on average game vs. number of points or from something blizzard published somewhere?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

Really? I'm not questioning whether or not it's true, but is it from napkin math on average game vs. number of points or from something blizzard published somewhere?

5 games nets you one more win than a loss (6-4). 25 games gets you a rank up. 125 games a league. 30 minutes per game counting draft and queue time.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

And then if it's Team League add to that constant networking to have consistently good and reliable players with you if you actually want to grind back to diamond/master league and SHOOT ME IN THE FACE

Also extra lol when your friends from past season maintained their rank, so if you want to play with them you have to win at 60% winrate while playing against masters and diamond anyway because it really doesn't matter if 1 person has 200 MMR lower when it comes to 5 man match making.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

I’ve finally got a good skin/mount combination for Jaina so I’ll be giving her a shot tonight. Any good build tips?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Libertine posted:

I've never seen someone in a rank that they didn't belong

Never? Come on, man.

And then if it's Team League add to that constant networking to have consistently good and reliable players with you if you actually want to grind back to diamond/master league and SHOOT ME IN THE FACE

Just play with anyone on /join team league, teamleague, lfg and sagoons as long as they get on Discord. Doesn't take more than an extra 5 minutes per gaming session (plus more if they smoke between matches, lol) and voice chat goes a long way to overcoming skill discrepancies. I also found that if I tried to vet folks before I invited them, the few rare ragers and throwers were Plat and above.

Streamers who try for rank climbs seem to often do that, since if they really belong in whatever high rank, they can carry golds easier than bullheaded diamonds.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

bamhand posted:

5 games nets you one more win than a loss (6-4). 25 games gets you a rank up. 125 games a league. 30 minutes per game counting draft and queue time.
You're maintaining a 60% win rate over an entire league? That... Seems like a pretty unlikely corner case for a system that is otherwise working.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

That's what I'm doing right now in TL

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God Murky is so stupid I love him so much.

I managed to top hero damage too until literally the last like 3 minutes when Hanzo swooped in and beat me, I think because he got in the dragon at the end.

His ink build is so loving strong I'm a total convert. Also I don't think I've ever hit 3K siege damage yet but I've gotten really close like tonight

I'm level 43 with him now. I've put way more time into him than any other character, second place going to Garrosh at 22 but Blizzard ruined him and he's no longer fun so back to exclusively Murky it is!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Dire Human posted:

I’ve finally got a good skin/mount combination for Jaina so I’ll be giving her a shot tonight. Any good build tips?

I like this build. https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/jaina#o3Sr

Level 16 is the power spike that really shines.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

A rando joined our 4 man in UD and goes like "oh man silvers", because we're all shameful silvers. Dude's a master 1k with a giant (like 10+) loss streak of all Hanzos in UD.

So we carried him to victory and said congrats on breaking a losing streak.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

lucifirius posted:

This seems to be the go-to build, although your 10 can be either, really.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I take shield at 13 if they have a dive hero and expect to take damage. I think a good ring of frost is just way too powerful compared to water elemental.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

That's what I'm doing right now in TL

TL's population is minuscule enough that one player one-tricking a hero well can swing that heroes ranking on hotslogs, considerably so if they're a niche or unpopular hero.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Elemental can be good to zone out certain heroes imo. I’ll normally go Elemental unless my QM team fills me with hope that they can capitalise on RoF

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Elemental can be good to zone out certain heroes imo. I’ll normally go Elemental unless my QM team fills me with hope that they can capitalise on RoF
You don't necessarily need your team to followup.

https://youtu.be/ahjZ3G3AY10

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Gobbeldygook posted:

You don't necessarily need your team to followup.

https://youtu.be/ahjZ3G3AY10

!!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So is Blaze happening today?

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013
In another couple hours, he'll hit NA. Then he'll hit EU about eight hours later, as per usual.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

lucifirius posted:

I like this build in ranked (although I usually take the frostbolt talent at 1 too). In QM when I can't trust anyone to do anything I like this build:

https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/jaina#kg8t

It's gotten me an almost 60% win rate with Jaina at 16 now. Blizzard for waves or big teamfights, E+Q for quick burst on anyone that will send most people running in the other direction, so that I can get in an AA or two for decent damage and CDR on blizzard. The hardest part is not getting greedy and getting out of position. Until you have ice block (and even then if your team isn't around to bail you out) you are loving dead if you're even a hair's breadth overextended.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Patch notes. Blaze here, merc camps weaker, structures stonger, and weaker regen globes.
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21349574/heroes-of-the-storm-patch-notes-january-9-2018-1-9-2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Looks like the new mecha skins aren't in this patch according to the notes.