Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the sad reality is, no one cares about labor rights if they even get fake-whiff that their own meager existence may be impacted, even in california. there's enough lovely white babby bombers up in Placer County or OC or whatever that thinks "MUH LIFE IS MOST PRECIOUS THING EVER TO GRACE THIS WORLD. LAZY WORKERS, LETTING ME DIE?? NO!!!" and will :f5: yes on it.

i dont think it'll pass by a huge margin, but it'll pass probably 55%-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Xaris posted:

the sad reality is, no one cares about labor rights if they even get fake-whiff that their own meager existence may be impacted, even in california. there's enough lovely white babby bombers up in Placer County or OC or whatever that thinks "MUH LIFE IS MOST PRECIOUS THING EVER TO GRACE THIS WORLD. LAZY WORKERS, LETTING ME DIE?? NO!!!" and will :f5: yes on it.

i dont think it'll pass by a huge margin, but it'll pass probably 55%-ish

Working through breaks is already seen as a sign of people who take their jobs seriously. Everyone has stories of their parents or grandparents slaving away for 14 hours a day and never taking vacations and being better people for it. The prop will pass with wide liberal support.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'm always amazed at the people I've run into who talk about working through lunch like it's a point of pride.

Yeah sure buddy you're a real champ keep climbing that ladder I'm gonna get a sandwich and get the same raise you do in six months.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I'm always amazed at the people I've run into who talk about working through lunch like it's a point of pride.

Yeah sure buddy you're a real champ keep climbing that ladder I'm gonna get a sandwich and get the same raise you do in six months.

Lazy! Moocher! Parasite! Communist!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lazy! Moocher! Parasite! Communist!

Don't doxx me

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Saw this on Facebook and haven't investigated the claim yet. I'm more than willing to exact voter retribution unless I turn up she has a good Progressive history of voting and was just on the wrong side of history for this one instance.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 5, 2018

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

She's a Republican first appointed to the courts by Pete Wilson. So, uh, probably not a progressive.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Corrigan sucks rear end, get rid of her.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wicked Them Beats posted:

She's a Republican first appointed to the courts by Pete Wilson. So, uh, probably not a progressive.

Welp that's enough for me. "No" it is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jaxyon posted:

Indeed, thanks for the link to that.

Here is the reddit link, where OP also posted proof he is an EMT

https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/9l7hlg/information_about_prop_11/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So. What would happen with a CalExit? ("It would never happen lol" is not a helpful answer.) Obviously, it'd be a big disaster and everybody would laugh at us like everybody's currently laughing at the U.K., but what would it take to get through the process and what would be left of California on the other side?

Asking for a friend.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPColin posted:

So. What would happen with a CalExit? ("It would never happen lol" is not a helpful answer.) Obviously, it'd be a big disaster and everybody would laugh at us like everybody's currently laughing at the U.K., but what would it take to get through the process and what would be left of California on the other side?

Asking for a friend.
Immediately invaded and blockaded by the U.S., then signing a treaty of unification that makes Guadalupe Hidalgo look fair and balanced that installs permanent republicans at the helm?
Or we balkanize into a mishmash of warring city-states while NorCal turns Socal into an ashen desert by shutting off the aqueducts?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe we could convince Hawaii to come with us?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CPColin posted:

Asking for a friend.

We could always hope the world would use it to tear America apart at the seams.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Immediately invaded and blockaded by the U.S., then signing a treaty of unification that makes Guadalupe Hidalgo look fair and balanced that installs permanent republicans at the helm?
Or we balkanize into a mishmash of warring city-states while NorCal turns Socal into an ashen desert by shutting off the aqueducts?

There is actually a broadly recognized constitutional process for a state to legally secede. It's irrelevant because no forseeable political development could lead to it happening.

CPColin posted:

("It would never happen lol" is not a helpful answer.)

It's the only reasonable answer, though. In order to formulate a future in which enough has changed that this would be remotely possible, we have delved so far into the realm of fantasy that you might as well invent the rest of the details wholecloth as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Then we're dead.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Leperflesh posted:

It's the only reasonable answer, though. In order to formulate a future in which enough has changed that this would be remotely possible, we have delved so far into the realm of fantasy that you might as well invent the rest of the details wholecloth as well.

Great. It's still not helpful.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

CPColin posted:

Great. It's still not helpful.

You want to do something that's practically sci-fi, but if you want an easier unrealistic plan, split the state and use the extra representation to retake control of the government.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gerrymander California into an extra 50 states that are all firmly Democratic

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Even if California wanted it and did its diligence, it would be so devastating socially and economically to the rest of the U.S. that it would be blocked and litigated at every turn, even before anything dramatic like civil war.

It's never happened in world history that the most powerful member of a union wanted to leave. It's also never happened that the most powerful member didn't run the union, so we're in completely uncharted territory.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
It's become very likely that California will ignore a Supreme Court ruling and refuse to enforce it in the very near future. And then what happens?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I dunno, probably nothing new? We've refused to enforce federal laws before.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I imagine California has enough oomfh to just tell everyone to gently caress off?

Like I imagine any serious reprocussions would gently caress up the rest of the states due to reliance and such.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

It's become very likely that California will ignore a Supreme Court ruling and refuse to enforce it in the very near future. And then what happens?

Well with Brown v Board the President took over a state national guard and forcibly integrated the schools, so something like that, I guess. If that sort of solution is applicable.

Depends on a lot of factors, really, and there's a lot of ways it could go.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i hope youll excuse me if i dont actually believe the california democrats would actually refuse to follow a supreme court ruling

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

i hope youll excuse me if i dont actually believe the california democrats would actually refuse to follow a supreme court ruling

If we're being cynical (and why wouldn't you be, really) it would probably come down to how much money they could raise by refusing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
California is not going to secede and if we tried we'd get shithammered in like two weeks tops.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Didnt we just have a spat over net neutrality where we basically said "nah we arnt doing that"

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean if we’re going down this road then I’d like to see the state kick ICE out of the state, but practically speaking that’d probably kick off an insanely reactionary set of events.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Telsa Cola posted:

Didnt we just have a spat over net neutrality where we basically said "nah we arnt doing that"

That was an FCC ruling that left it very open to the states.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

ShutteredIn posted:

That was an FCC ruling that left it very open to the states.

Ah, thank you for clarifying.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kobayashi posted:

I mean if we’re going down this road then I’d like to see the state kick ICE out of the state, but practically speaking that’d probably kick off an insanely reactionary set of events.

Well yeah for one the cops and state troopers wouldn't comply and would instead help ICE even more than they do now.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Admiral Ray posted:

Well yeah for one the cops and state troopers wouldn't comply and would instead help ICE even more than they do now.

Right, it’s always going to come down to who follows what orders. I might have a limited imagination but I’m struggling to come up with a scenario that doesn’t end in an overwhelming reactionary response.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Any secession scenario occurs as either the lead up to full-blown civil war or post-collapse of the US Federal power structure. We're a long way away from both of those.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

today's cops in america in general are not loyal to their cities and communities and are instead personally loyal to each other and culturally loyal to sean hannity

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

THIN BLUE LINE

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There sure are a lot of bad props, voted yes on 7/11/12.

I would like to vote yes on 8 but it’s a huge land of uncertainty since the companies affected might as well budget as much money is at risk to fighting it in court if passed. I might vote yes anyway. (Edit: Okay gently caress it I’ll vote Yes after
Reading the voter guide. It seems Medicare patients are less profitable than private plans and this would cap that somewhat.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ShutteredIn posted:

If it's something like tangible like "Not only have we struck down Roe v. Wade but abortion is also illegal murder" then the National Guard is probably federalized and sent to barricade/forcibly shutdown abortion clinics and arrest doctors who are still practicing. If it's something more esoteric like the unions ruling which if ignored it can't be strictly enforced by sending dudes somewhere to enforce it, then it's probably a mix of cutting of federal funding to the state and revoking federal services and privileges to make life as miserable as possible until we're compliant (ie: California ID's are no longer acceptable for flying, passports will no longer be issued to residents of the state, Student loans aren't issued to residents, etc).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Secession would be economically and socially disastrous for the state, too. Our economy is not independent, our infrastructure is mostly not independent, our legal structures are not independent, and our families and social ties are very much not independent. We would face some of the same deep and horrible problems that the UK is currently facing along the border between northern ireland and the republic of ireland, where there is essentially no border and thousands of roads cris-crossing the area, familial and cultural ties, etc: and yet in that case there are at least strong religious divides along which to get people to distrust one another, historical precedence for the divisions, and a general acceptance among the populations that the status quo would not be acceptable in a hard brexit.

California would have to invent a new independent legal system, invent new agencies to take over for every federally-operated agency in the state (and there are a lot), create and secure borders, create embassies all over the world and create a state department to run them. The list goes on and on and on, and it's all in the context of millions and millions of people who might generally support the idea of "gently caress the federal government they suck" and "gently caress the red states they're parasites" but probably not "I can no longer just drive a few hours or hop on a plane to go see my relatives in reno?" or "what do you mean we need to raise a hundred billion dollars overnight to create a semblance of a military" or "what do you mean all the military bases in the state belong to the US government and they're not going to just let us have them" and "what do you mean we have no extradition treaty with the united states, what the gently caress are we going to do when murderers just flee across the border?" and "oh the Colorado river doesn't belong to us and we're not going to get its dregs to water our southern california desert farms any more?" and "oh holy hell like 90% of our corporations are incorporated in Delaware, now what???"

Come up with answers for literally all of that stuff that includes the population of California still supporting independence and you have invented a political situation akin to the US civil war... e.g., something that absolutely does not remotely exist now, not even close. Whatever scenario you invent will supply you with the answers to the other questions. No matter what, one answer would be decades of violence, strife, economic hardship and recession, and enormous grief and remorse.

Think less "brexit" and more "north korea/south korea" for what it'd do culturally, politically, and economically, and the kinds of conditions that would have to prevail to bring it about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1047794412577837056

lifted from the trump thread. That loving shitheel Nunes is ahead.