Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

As the owner of an FoW playset, seeing it printed at uncommon would've been totally fine, but I understand them printing it at Mythic. Complaining that they didn't is like Smash Melee complaining about them not putting wavedashing, an entirely unintentional mechanic, in Smash 4.

As someone who loves both of those games that is the weirdest loving analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Does Wizards really care that printing them at UC would have made their current price sink like a boulder in the ocean? It's not like they're making money by people buying whatever Alliance packs are left trying to pull one

All they care about is more people chasing mythics so more packs sold.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

You mean other than buying it? :v:

No, because buying Smash 4 sure as hell doesn't get you a wave dash and neither does any of its DLC.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Alliances had contagion and I thought it was a rad card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Alliances had contagion and I thought it was a rad card.

Also Pyrokenesis.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Bugsy posted:

Also Pyrokenesis.

Also Gorilla Shaman, aka Mox Monkey.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lets Pickle posted:

Wasn't the issue with that some weird interaction between flip cards and the Legend rule? Like, you can control both sides at the same time but if one flips then the legend rule applies. IIRC though, when Innistrad was printed the legend rule was that you have to get rid of both, and there could only be one total on any side of the field. With the change to the legend rule it should be much less complicated to print a legendary werewolf. However, the checklist for Shadows over Innistrad has already been spoiled so unless there is another checklist there is no RG werewolf, legendary or otherwise, in SoI.

That is the problem; if you control a flipped Werewolf King or whatever and I play Human Werewolf King we're fine, but since all werewolves flipped to wolf side on no spells and to human side on two spells, that means that as soon as either of those conditions occurred we'd both lose our dude. They didn't like that (and it was probably part of the impetus that made them change the Legend rule) but that is no longer how it would work.

Anyways Maro has said over and over that his biggest regret about Innistrad was not including a legendary RG werewolf and that is the one thing he would change so there's no chance of us not getting it. They might decide to change the color, but I'll go ahead and :toxx: that there will be a legendary, at-least-part-green Werewolf in Shadows block (maybe in :rolleyes: Eldritch Moon)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Anyways Maro has said over and over that his biggest regret about Innistrad was not including a legendary RG werewolf and that is the one thing he would change so there's no chance of us not getting it. They might decide to change the color, but I'll go ahead and :toxx: that there will be a legendary, at-least-part-green Werewolf in Shadows block (maybe in :rolleyes: Eldritch Moon)

Careful, there were actual mono-red werewolves in Innistrad block.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah but it's still loving dumb to drag it all the way to mythic from uncommon. Rare I understand.

Goyf and FOW are the comedy-truth examples of Mythic rarity just being $$$ rarity.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All they care about is more people chasing mythics so more packs sold.

Anyone who thinks WotC cares about people chasing mythics in a limited print run set where they are guaranteed to sell 100% of their printing are loving dumpster babies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

born on a buy you posted:

FoW was in alliances a set with other good cards people care about such as:

Contagion! I played it in Vintage dredge for a while. It puts comical -2/-1 counters on things, as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

Goyf and FOW are the comedy-truth examples of Mythic rarity just being $$$ rarity.

No no no, rarity only has to do with limited and mythic is rarity is a good thing for you in the long run.

Toshimo posted:

Anyone who thinks WotC cares about people chasing mythics in a limited print run set where they are guaranteed to sell 100% of their printing are loving dumpster babies.

This guy knows what he is talking about for sure.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
There apparently won't be an Eternal Masters Grand Prix for...some reason. That's incredibly weird given how the Modern Masters GPs broke all the records.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's yet another random reprint set where I'll buy a $200 box of it because, like most Magic players, I like setting money on fire. I still can't figure out why the actual gently caress Wasteland wasn't in VMA itself.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 15, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/699287031331966976
Includes Modern legal cards.

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/699287261863489538
Won't have new cards in it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Well it's a reprint set so it having new card would be quite weird

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

No no no, rarity only has to do with limited and mythic is rarity is a good thing for you in the long run.

This guy knows what he is talking about for sure.

I will say it's pretty comical the two face cards of this set are two uncommons upshifted in rarity for no reason other than money.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

At least MM1 was kinda forced to promote some rares to mythics, since there were no mythics in most of the sets it covered, and the mythic slots had to be filled somehow.

Here, nothing is forcing them to promote uncommons to mythic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

I will say it's pretty comical the two face cards of this set are two uncommons upshifted in rarity for no reason other than money.

I think it's pretty comical to stamp your feet about Forces rarity when Maro has said it shouldn't be an uncommon for a long time

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think we're all just paranoid about FoW becoming $200 because VM increases the Vintage playerbase (although I think it won't be as much of a problem as it was with Modern, since duals are still reserved)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So uh.

Mana Drain, guys.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well it's a reprint set so it having new card would be quite weird

There's precedent for WOTC to directly print new eternal-legal cards, so somebody probably would have tried to speculate

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm utterly shocked and disgusted that WOTC a company that sells a collectible game would make the most desirable and sought after game pieces harder to find than others. Truly unprecedented and disgusting behavior, has anyone told Obama? They should be in jail.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

My recollection was black being horrible in VMA

or maybe it was just because I drafted Battle Screech into Radiant all the goddamn time because you would always win if you could get it.

Suicide black was good if it came together, and Hymn was an all-star in that deck. BW Aggro was also very good because Battle Screech is a messed up card.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm utterly shocked and disgusted that WOTC a company that sells a collectible game would make the most desirable and sought after game pieces harder to find than others. Truly unprecedented and disgusting behavior, has anyone told Obama? They should be in jail.

Someone get on Twitter and let him know.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I would have bought a hell of a lot more packs if wasteland or force were uncommon. As it is I will just buy the singles I need. Which FoW and wasteland are not on the list since I already have those.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

born on a buy you posted:

FoW was in alliances a set with other good cards people care about such as:

Elvish Spirit Guide!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm genuinely surprised that EMA is a paper set that is going to exist, the guy who "predicted" it had called the banned cards in bloom wrong so I never put faith in that prediction. It's going to completely blow up legacy prices in weird ways. Buy your duals now because they're going to do what Bloodmoon/Glimmervoid/other non-mm cards did.

It is ultra scummy that vendors were told about this before the general public, which is where the leak originated. That's not a consumer-friendly move.

It will be interesting to see if they print any new legacy quality goblins/merfolk/etc for monocolored decks anytime soon. Given that they're trying to inject cards into legacy, but can't touch duals, I would hope that in the near future they print a goblin that is pushed for legacy to bring that deck back, and maybe something that makes merfolk a bit more viable (honestly, banning delver would go a long way towards doing that), and print the cards to help more folks play elves / D&T.

I'm also really interested to see if they'll print Karakas, as it is I think the most expensive non-reserve list card in the format?

Given their history of reprint rarity manipulation, I would expect $25+ uncommons to become rares, and $80+ rares to become mythics).

We have what, 53 rare slots and 15 mythic slots, or something like that?

I think these are all of the lands that see play in legacy that are common to see / haven't been reprinted a lot (there are like a billion factories out there, and Urborg Enraged has seen two reprints).

Wasteland (rare)
Rishadan Port (rare/mythic)
5x Zen Fetches (I think these are likely to show up here because they aren't going to show up next to Zen lands)
Grove of the Burnwillows (rare)
Horizon Canopy (rare)
Karakas (mythic)
Ancient Tomb (uncommon)
City of Traitors (rare)
Cloudpost (uncommon)
Glimmerpost (common, would only show up if they're printing cloudpost so they can enable it in limited)

I think we'll only get one of the tomb/traitors pair, one of the grove/horizon pair (probably grove, because it's used in multiple decks as a 4x engine instead of a nice-to-have fringe card).

I would really hope they print cabal therapy and not IoK in this set if they're only going to do one, as IOK does not have the reprint restrictions that therapy does.

I'm hoping they build the draft archetypes around legacy archetypes / more like their cubes and less like the MM15 Block Mechanic Greatest Hits. It would be a lot of fun to draft reanimator, delver/pyromancer, etc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

I think it's pretty comical to stamp your feet about Forces rarity when Maro has said it shouldn't be an uncommon for a long time

Rare I can understand, but a Mythic counterspell is somewhat absurd.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

So uh.

Mana Drain, guys.

Imperial Seal?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I think it's more that we've already seen how awesome printing an eternal staple at mythic works out in terms of pricing in the secondary market, which directly affects how many new interested players can buy into a format like legacy (the answer is not many). Especially with a lack of duals due to their strict code of honor regarding the worst decision they've ever madethe reserved list, the set will basically be MM2015 all over in terms of having one or two expensive/in-demand chase mythics and like two good rares.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yeah everything from Portal looks like free game.

So they obviously won't print anything from there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm hoping they don't give a poo poo about draft and just print a good set.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

:agreed: play collectible card games with reasonable reprint policies. You know the ones.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Count Bleck posted:

So uh.

Mana Drain, guys.

Oh jeez, now that is one that is an exciting prospect. Not to mention Recruiter would be an awesome inclusion.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

So uh.

Mana Drain, guys.

no see, force of will and wasteland will sell the whole set so they have to maintain their REPRINT EQUITY and can't print that or any other good cards :tem:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Reserved_List

Here's the current reserved list, from what I can gather. Now, someone who is more bored than I should compile this list with what is used in current Vintage/Legacy and BUY ALL THOS CARDS!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would have bought a hell of a lot more packs if wasteland or force were uncommon. As it is I will just buy the singles I need. Which FoW and wasteland are not on the list since I already have those.

lol

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The main card I want to see in EM is imperial seal. Also to a lesser extent karakas and rishadan port.

Oh and a tinker with good art.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

En Fuego posted:

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Reserved_List

Here's the current reserved list, from what I can gather. Now, someone who is more bored than I should compile this list with what is used in current Vintage/Legacy and BUY ALL THOS CARDS!

In legacy it's basically all the duals and LED. There are a few more but not many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Agreed.

Also Sea Drake reprint one time please WotC.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

In legacy it's basically all the duals and LED. There are a few more but not many.

The other big ones are Mox Diamond, City of Traitors, and to a much lesser extent Tabernacle.

• Locked thread