Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Seriously outside of the manabases you can easily play legacy without touching a reserve listed card.

Or you can play Death and Taxes and completely ignore the reserve list unless you want a Humility in the board.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

-brainstorm with best VMA art
-hymn to tourach (was uncommon in VMA)

FTFY

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crucible of Worlds, Karakas and some of the better Commander cards like Toxic Deluge. Did they say it's all reprints or can there be new cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Wow that's loving awesome and I kind of want to build around that.

that art is pretty loving good

Angry Grimace posted:

It wasn't miserable in VMA at uncommon for an obvious reason: because black sucks rear end in a set that reprints old cards because older cards were all designed around Dark Ritual and if you don't have a bunch of Dark Ritual everything is overcosted.

Hymn isn't overcosted but i get your point, I still really don't like the card tho

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Note that Compelling Deterrence is a little worse than it would be in most sets because of madness- you'll want to be careful about casting this vs madness colors with mana up. It also could enable your opponent's delirium cards at an awkward time. On the plus side it gets to act as a straight-up kill spell if your opponent is hellbent. You'll probably want to hold an extra land in hand vs blue decks.
What I'm saying is that this set looks like it's going to have a ton of play to it, like original Innistrad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mandatory lesbian posted:

that art is pretty loving good

Hymn isn't overcosted but i get your point, I still really don't like the card tho

My recollection was black being horrible in VMA

or maybe it was just because I drafted Battle Screech into Radiant all the goddamn time because you would always win if you could get it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

or maybe it was just because I drafted Battle Screech into Radiant all the goddamn time because you would always win if you could get it.

White was easily the best color in VMA and it's not particularly close, i am hoping the balance will be better for this release

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

VMA was basically Battle Screech or bust yea.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mneumonic wall variants in standard that can loop Ghostway indefinitely: Greenwarden of Murasa, Possessed Skaab, Ulamog's Reclaimer (needs processing). I can imagine this deck being very annoying

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
Who wants to take the over of 13.5 cards in the set worth more than the MSRP of one pack of Eternal Masters?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Ramos posted:

On the flip side, the flavor of Innistrad looks fantastic so far. I doubt they'll be able to pull off a limited format with as much depth as the first one though.

Here's the important question. Are we finally getting the Legendary Werewolf?!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Holy poo poo it's real.

Edit: also gently caress you wizards FoW at mythic like I predicted instead of its actual uncommon rarity.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

If we don't, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one morning and find out that Maro was strangled to death by an angry werewolf player.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Holy poo poo it's real.

Edit: also gently caress you wizards FoW at mythic like I predicted instead of its actual uncommon rarity.

I think everyone saw that coming after Goyf at mythic rarity the first time.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

. Did they say it's all reprints or can there be new cards?

No new cards.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

There is absolutely no chance that we do not get a legendary RG werewolf.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Holy poo poo it's real.

Yeah dude. I was hoping to go from 12 to maybe 50 and making a binder just full of them but alas... :smith:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Force, Wasteland, Zen fetches, karakas, mana drain, Jace JTMS, flusterstorm, ancestral vision, shardless agent, toxic deluge, abrupt decay?
OK.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Ramos posted:

If we don't, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one morning and find out that Maro was strangled to death by an angry werewolf player.

I think everyone saw that coming after Goyf at mythic rarity the first time.

Yeah but it's still loving dumb to drag it all the way to mythic from uncommon. Rare I understand.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

FoW should be mythic, or at least rare, it's not like they had any idea what they were doing when they printed it as an uncommon originally. If there are Zendikar fetches in this set it might actually raise the price of packs. I hope the drafting is not as dumb as Vintage Masters was.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i don't trust R&D to not gently caress it up but with the flip-walkers existing there is definitely hope in my heart

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Seriously. That one was not in original Innistrad is Maro's single biggest regret about the block. Note that the checklist card we saw was labeled "CHK1", implying that there is a checklist 2.

Also, at least they didn't make wasteland a mythic. That would have been galling.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's also always Eldritch Moon.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's also always Eldritch Moon.
There is. I just expect to see it in the first set because of the huge outcry/promises that they'd make one though.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Wasn't the issue with that some weird interaction between flip cards and the Legend rule? Like, you can control both sides at the same time but if one flips then the legend rule applies. IIRC though, when Innistrad was printed the legend rule was that you have to get rid of both, and there could only be one total on any side of the field. With the change to the legend rule it should be much less complicated to print a legendary werewolf. However, the checklist for Shadows over Innistrad has already been spoiled so unless there is another checklist there is no RG werewolf, legendary or otherwise, in SoI.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

FoW should be mythic, or at least rare, it's not like they had any idea what they were doing when they printed it as an uncommon originally. If there are Zendikar fetches in this set it might actually raise the price of packs. I hope the drafting is not as dumb as Vintage Masters was.

Urza's is so full of broken poo poo that FoW being at uncommon was nowhere near the top of the list of things wrong with it

i reserve judgement on it being mythic, altho my first impression is that it's only mythic cause of how iconic it is, and tbh i can agree with that reasoning even if i would rather see it as an uncommon again

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

FoW is not from Urza's

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Urza's is so full of broken poo poo that FoW being at uncommon was nowhere near the top of the list of things wrong with it

i reserve judgement on it being mythic, altho my first impression is that it's only mythic cause of how iconic it is, and tbh i can agree with that reasoning even if i would rather see it as an uncommon again

Force of Will was in Alliances, a set with nothing else good in it but which was beloved for being the first set released after an eight-month gap following Homelands.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
FoW was in alliances a set with other good cards people care about such as:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mneumonic wall variants in standard that can loop Ghostway indefinitely: Greenwarden of Murasa, Possessed Skaab, Ulamog's Reclaimer (needs processing). I can imagine this deck being very annoying

There arent any ETB creatures that make mana in standard is there? Also lets you turn megamorphs over for 2w, but then you don't get the effect.

born on a buy you posted:

At the time Balduvian Horde was a thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I just want a port/karakas reprint. That way I can build death and taxes since it's funny.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Force of Will was in Alliances, a set with nothing else good in it but which was beloved for being the first set released after an eight-month gap following Homelands.

holy poo poo, lmao i just assumed all these years it was Urza's

sorry, any set older then New Phyrexia is before my time, i just assume if a card is free or broken it was in Urza's Block or Alpha

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If Imperial Recruiter gets reprinted, get a playset of Aluren. It can get away with 1 or 2 duals, and run without any if it has to, and it's a combo deck that is reasonably resilient.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Holy poo poo it's real.

Lmao at anyone who thought it was going to be printed at UC when Maro has said multiple times that it would be at least a rare if it was printed now

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I would argue Force of Will at uncommon in Urza's Block would have done wonders for fixing the format.

It would still be primarily a blue format though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
As the owner of an FoW playset, seeing it printed at uncommon would've been totally fine, but I understand them printing it at Mythic. Complaining that they didn't is like Smash Melee complaining about them not putting wavedashing, an entirely unintentional mechanic, in Smash 4.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

born on a buy you posted:

smh if you didn't love Contagion

Also, even in "cards people still care about in TYOOL 2016," you're forgetting Elvish Spirit Guide.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

As the owner of an FoW playset, seeing it printed at uncommon would've been totally fine, but I understand them printing it at Mythic. Complaining that they didn't is like Smash Melee complaining about them not putting wavedashing, an entirely unintentional mechanic, in Smash 4.

Let me break that analogy for you: Smash 4 isn't toting wave dashing behind a cost barrier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Alliances had some pretty awesome goblin stuff.

RIP goblins.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Does Wizards really care that printing them at UC would have made their current price sink like a boulder in the ocean? It's not like they're making money by people buying whatever Alliance packs are left trying to pull one

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Let me break that analogy for you: Smash 4 isn't toting wave dashing behind a cost barrier.

You mean other than buying it? :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Diminishing Returns
Thawing Glaciers
Kjeldoran Outpost

Alliances was non-sarcastically a pretty cool set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

i just assume if a card is free or broken it was in Urza's Block or Alpha
A not unfair assumption, really.

Also, Kjeldoran Outpost is in my "I will ruin multiplayer games forever" Last Laugh deck.

• Locked thread