Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
I wish people would shut up about iBP. What they did was unequivocally wrong and they deserve to be banned for life. No-one has a right to be a professional e-sports player and they live in The Greatest Country In The World where there are so many other opportunities available to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Eh I doubt they would have amounted to much, they seem obnoxious in clips and I'm no yankee so I don't really give much of a poo poo but in real sports there are set punishments for offences including matchfixing and its not lol gently caress you you're banned forever in the absence of guidance beforehand.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It just doesn't seem like a very metered punishment to hand out lifetime bans with no method for appeal or seemingly any governing body. Players from far more lucrative competitive sports get year-long bans for offenses I personally consider worse. It's all early days for this stuff but I don't think it's for the good of the scene to have no real transparency on this stuff and just ban people for life.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

people forget that at the same time valve announced that the ibp ban was perm, fxy0 was also banned for match fixing.. He got 2 awp asimovs lmao

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
So, I bought this game in 2012 and, since then, only dicked around in the casual modes, which ranged from fun/hilarious to instantly rage inducing.

Anyway, only in the past week did I attempt competitive mode -- and boy it it fun! I am now a fan of this game.

Why does it seem sometimes that people on your team (in competitive mode) are just interested in hanging out/goofing around instead of winning?

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:

Goofballs posted:

Eh I doubt they would have amounted to much, they seem obnoxious in clips and I'm no yankee so I don't really give much of a poo poo but in real sports there are set punishments for offences including matchfixing and its not lol gently caress you you're banned forever in the absence of guidance beforehand.

Terrific Accident posted:

It just doesn't seem like a very metered punishment to hand out lifetime bans with no method for appeal or seemingly any governing body. Players from far more lucrative competitive sports get year-long bans for offenses I personally consider worse. It's all early days for this stuff but I don't think it's for the good of the scene to have no real transparency on this stuff and just ban people for life.

I can see that side of it, but I don't think its important. The games creator arbitrarily bans some players, who were 100% doing bad things. They have a zero tolerance policy to fuckery, probably because they have no interest in having to deal with a bunch of bullshit.

They can appeal by speaking with Valve, which many people have done on their behalf, but they are guilty. Valve investigated the claims aired by RLewis and came up with incontrovertible proof. Where there was some doubt (ska), no action was taken. People appeal VAC bans and Valve will reverse them if they are found to be due to an error on Valve's side (see that weird timing app thing). I don't think Valve are being unreasonable by taking a zero tolerance stance. Valve don't permanently ban people for nothing.

Making a living as a CS pro is something that only became viable 2 or 3 years ago if that. You probably have a better chance at winning an olympic medal than making it as a pro. It's not like these guys have been denied an education or medical treatment or something that would actually be an infringement on their rights.

"I wouldn't have thrown that match if I knew I was going to get banned forever" is not a good excuse.

They did something really bad. They are not allowed to play in certain computer game tournaments any more. They hosed up and now they are banned. Time to move on and find some other way to make a living. They have not suffered some great injustice. Again, they live in the greatest country in the world for someone who wants to make their own way.

Google Butt posted:

people forget that at the same time valve announced that the ibp ban was perm, fxy0 was also banned for match fixing.. He got 2 awp asimovs lmao

"iBP stickers are more valuable than their careers" the best CS burn

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Audax posted:

I mean, props to the guy for taking antidepressants for his mental health. Why that's a talking point is insane to me.

That's how he gets the crazy drug cocktail of life, laughter, and love.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

well at least we're not as bad as the speedrunning community, when you're depressed in that community you eventually start transitioning :trumppop:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

well at least we're not as bad as the speedrunning community, when you're depressed in that community you eventually start transitioning :trumppop:

It's ok, your wife has seen you jerk off to Cosmo. She's ok with it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Photex posted:

yikes dude. that's pretty lovely to say considering the level of harassment she started getting.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Famethrowa posted:

yikes dude. that's pretty lovely to say considering the level of harassment she started getting.

It's ok, the harassment was from being batshit crazy, not trans.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gingerbread House Music posted:

It's ok, the harassment was from being batshit crazy, not trans.

oh, ok, that makes it allllll good.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
whats good is that i just 1v5ed a round on de_fire 8)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Famethrowa posted:

oh, ok, that makes it allllll good.

The Kinder & Gentler SomethingAwful is terrible.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
yea man its called something sensitive now

haha xd

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gingerbread House Music posted:

The Kinder & Gentler SomethingAwful is terrible.

sorry buddy :saddowns:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Up Circle posted:

yea man its called something sensitive now

haha xd

that's a different site bro.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

That's in super bad taste dude.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Photex posted:

This is extremely unfunny/uncool

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just kicked some poo poo in and went like 35/18 mostly from the auto sniper :radcat:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Been seeing a lot of INSANE blood sprays like this recently, did I change something to make these more awesome?

Straight up looks like someone took a T and used the freight container as a cheese grater!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Jesus christ that would be super distracting

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Been seeing a lot of INSANE blood sprays like this recently, did I change something to make these more awesome?

Straight up looks like someone took a T and used the freight container as a cheese grater!

when were fatalities added

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Photex posted:

... yea not cool dude.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Ranked back up into DMG in a lovely tie, it was clearly my new 144hz monitor even tho I only ever play cbble in goonmans and was mostly useless

I'm trying to ascend to new levels of cancer and have subscribed to ESEA for a month. Get at me if you want to grind pugs there as the new matchmaking is actually quite good. AFAICT you start off at ~C and have to complete ten placement matches.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm trying to ascend to new levels of cancer and have subscribed to ESEA for a month. Get at me if you want to grind pugs there as the new matchmaking is actually quite good. AFAICT you start off at ~C and have to complete ten placement matches.

Hells yeah, hit me up and we can pug sometime. https://play.esea.net/users/907651

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Ranked back up into DMG in a lovely tie, it was clearly my new 144hz monitor even tho I only ever play cbble in goonmans and was mostly useless

Same match... I don't get it. I didn't deserve that.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I'm 100% wrong here but my best guess is that your "true rank" was supreme the entire time and you were burning through a bonus/decay pool from inactivity in which losses are heavily weighted and ties/wins reset the decay? Same thing happened last time

I really wish I had a screenshot of the last time we tied and I carried Zapper88 into SMFC :smugdog:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Goodness. Do we get Doom2016 style glory kills now?

Now that would make this game worth playing regularly.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Xenaero posted:

Goodness. Do we get Doom2016 style glory kills now?

Now that would make this game worth playing regularly.

Halo did a lot of things wrong, but I always loved how the assassinations (extended kill animations that can be cancelled by teammates stealing your kill, or enemies killing you) negated fall damage.

Imagine if you combined that with DO4M's glory kills/clambering? I find the potential of something contextual like that to be far more interesting than grappling hooks, rocket jumping, jetpacks, or wall running.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Listen I said it in the Discord but while I don't think what Photex said was necessarily defend-able, it's dark humor, and just because it isn't funny to you and is a little bit offensive doesn't mean you have to voice your opinion that you're so shock and aghast at Thing That Was Said. It's just a "H-h-hey guys, I'm offended too!" kind of thing and having like 5 posts about it is really dumb.

Also if we are gonna white knight can it be for someone who isn't a giant piece of poo poo like Narcissa? I think that's the other thing is that you guys are all rushing to defend Narcissa of all people and it's kind of :lol:

Imagine if you combined that with DO4M's glory kills/clambering? I find the potential of something contextual like that to be far more interesting than grappling hooks, rocket jumping, jetpacks, or wall running.

correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn in Do4m you could do falling glory kills? I almost distinctly remember jumping off ledges and skydiving to glory kill dudes.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

Listen I said it in the Discord but while I don't think what Photex said was necessarily defend-able, it's dark humor, and just because it isn't funny to you and is a little bit offensive doesn't mean you have to voice your opinion that you're so shock and aghast at Thing That Was Said. It's just a "H-h-hey guys, I'm offended too!" kind of thing and having like 5 posts about it is really dumb.

Also if we are gonna white knight can it be for someone who isn't a giant piece of poo poo like Narcissa? I think that's the other thing is that you guys are all rushing to defend Narcissa of all people and it's kind of :lol:

correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn in Do4m you could do falling glory kills? I almost distinctly remember jumping off ledges and skydiving to glory kill dudes.

There was some achiev-o style mission where you had to get glory kills as you were coming down from a jump and I could not loving get them done. I try after not playing for some months after upgrading my computer and congratulations they seem to work fine. Dumb but at least I'm not 12 anymore and can't stand advancing without getting 100% of everything done because Achievements!!!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

nftyw posted:

There was some achiev-o style mission where you had to get glory kills as you were coming down from a jump and I could not loving get them done. I try after not playing for some months after upgrading my computer and congratulations they seem to work fine. Dumb but at least I'm not 12 anymore and can't stand advancing without getting 100% of everything done because Achievements!!!

I think I remember that challenge and the trick of the airborne glory kills was that a simple jump wasn't enough, you had to be coming off a ledge or something and you had to be aimed at like their head when you did it. It was really weird and it made the flying glory kills a little cooler because you didn't cycle through the animations for them because they were something you had to specifically aim to do rather than just have it happen in the middle of a chain of kills. I'd always end up doing it on the last enemy of a fight or like a Taurus demon.

Man new doom was seriously such a good game, holy heck that game was fun

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
iBP lifetime bans were unfair to the individuals, but that's kind of the point of making an example of people. They had an opportunity to stamp down and show zero tolerance to match fixing, which is an extremely damaging thing to have lurking in the background of a nascent sport. And since all the structures that most other sports have don't exist in eSports, there's no practical recourse against Valve doing what it feels protects their interests best.

Don't feel too sorry for steel either, that guy is insanely privileged and basically threw out of childish spite. He's good at the game but he is also a whiny douchebag.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do you get less little kids at higher ranks? I don't mind like 13 year olds, I mean almost every game I'm getting kids literally as young as 6 playing.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yes, silver is full of children on lovely laptops

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, when you rank up you graduate to teenagers or college kids who are drunk and/or think they are the smartest and best people ever to grace this game of idiots.

Play with goons, never not 5-stack. Unless you're non-prime in which case just play with goons, don't worry if you can't get a 5stack.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Play with goons or play Faceit if you don't want literal children.

Don't be like me and jump straight into ESEA after suffering through Valve MM. Or do, and find out what it's like when your teammates are trying hard to win :getin:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
while I think average age probably rises with ranks, there's still no shortage of literal 13 year olds at global-- but a surprising amount of them really aren't that bad and are often way more receptible to constructive feedback than the fuckers who've had an additional decade to become jaded and bitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

I called out a dumb offensive joke, made fun of people getting mad that a dumb joke fell flat, and dropped it. Can't you do the same?

Also, retreating to discord to bitch about someone is just :lol: