Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

bongwizzard posted:

Those meat claws rule and are indispensable if you own a smoker. They literally cut the time needed to shred a butt by 1/10 over using forks and produces a better result. I also keep mine roped together and wear them around my neck while showering incase I am attacked while all naked and soapy.

And when you are you will drop them from your soapy fingers and shred your own junk. All joking aside I can picture someone eating with them instead of fork and knife if they're lazy enough. I mean I would but I'm too lazy to get some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Coleco officially pulls its name from the Chameleon

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1267641441/handicape-graphic-novel?ref=card

A friend linked this on Facebook. I'm finding it hard not to poo poo on someone's work, but "hacker in a wheelchair" is a pretty overdone trope and kinda condescending, telling handicap people that they're only good for non-physical efforts or they better be smart or have tech skills to not be worthless. You could have a Marine sniper or a Navy SEAL paralyzed from the waist down or have missing legs and still be an actively physical person. I've seen a guy who had lost most of his lower torso compete in the Spartan Race, which would wipe out most people.

Point is, it's like the laziest way to approach a wheelchair- bound character.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Morglon posted:

And when you are you will drop them from your soapy fingers and shred your own junk. All joking aside I can picture someone eating with them instead of fork and knife if they're lazy enough. I mean I would but I'm too lazy to get some.

They are not eating utensils, they are food prep items.

And I do keep mine in the shower rack, mostly because it makes me chuckle whenever I notice them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

This story keeps getting sadder and sadder. Is there even a chance that this thing gets released at this point in any capacity? Jesus.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Since they seem to have faked having a prototype PCB I will be shocked if anything ever gets released.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You either die a scam or you live long enough to become an Ouya.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

You either die a scam or you live long enough to become an Ouya.

A fate worse than death.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The one unexplained thing about Retro Chameleon VGS Thing is how do they imagine devs porting their games from various source bases (like, Unity, Game Maker etc.) into one unified (supposedly) SDK, which doesn't even exist right now and has no specifications.

Whatever, this thing never had a hint of being a legit product.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

lol they deleted their facebook page and website

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

laserghost posted:

The one unexplained thing about Retro Chameleon VGS Thing is how do they imagine devs porting their games from various source bases (like, Unity, Game Maker etc.) into one unified (supposedly) SDK, which doesn't even exist right now and has no specifications.

Whatever, this thing never had a hint of being a legit product.

Yeah, but the project has moved from having an air of "sincere guys way in over their heads with what they were promising" to "outright scammers" as things have progressed.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Young Freud posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1267641441/handicape-graphic-novel?ref=card

A friend linked this on Facebook. I'm finding it hard not to poo poo on someone's work, but "hacker in a wheelchair" is a pretty overdone trope and kinda condescending, telling handicap people that they're only good for non-physical efforts or they better be smart or have tech skills to not be worthless. You could have a Marine sniper or a Navy SEAL paralyzed from the waist down or have missing legs and still be an actively physical person. I've seen a guy who had lost most of his lower torso compete in the Spartan Race, which would wipe out most people.

Sounds like wheelchair users need to stand up for themselves.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Oracle is the only hacker in a wheelchair that comes immediately to mind. Snipers need to get into areas that don't have wheelchair ramps. Sorry, but non-physically fighting crime is the least silly way to go.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The climax of the Battleship movie from years ago was a dude with no legs wrestling with an alien, good times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's very hard to do the Super-Smart Paraplegic Person cliche well because if you lean on it too heavily it showcases that you wrote the character not as a person, but as a system of weaknesses and strengths that happens to be person-shaped. While it isn't impossible to make a complex character from that trope, try and name me a Super-Smart Paraplegic Person whose backstory is more complex than "I was smart and could walk, but then tragedy struck and now I must use my brains because I lack brawn" or "I am in a wheelchair and people dumped on me for it a lot before the events of [story], but my smarts give me a tactical advantage behind the scenes".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 8, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Curt Connors is a disabled character with a physically based superpower but the power negates the disability, so that doesn't seem any better.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
This has to be the laziest thing I've seen in a while. I need 6,000 dollars to sell an empty jar for peeling eggs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1095155807/larsons-egg-peeler/description

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Dienes posted:

This has to be the laziest thing I've seen in a while. I need 6,000 dollars to sell an empty jar for peeling eggs.

I agree. However it actually loving works so that puts at least half a league ahead of other kickstaters. It's still not a very good idea. You can just buy mason jars at a grocery store, or hang onto an old jam jar.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Haha, this pitch is like an old infomercial.

quote:

There's an old trick for getting an eggshell off using a jar and water, but it's inconsistent. What size jar? How much water?

Yes, those are the questions that befuddle people.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dienes posted:

quote:

Yo! I'm creating a kick-rear end custom kitchen tool for peeling eggs in just seconds.
Dude knows how to appeal to today's youth, at least.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

peel all night~

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Worst doge meme. Where even is the dog?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Young Freud posted:

Plus they're calling the series, and probably by extension the character, Handicape. Nothing says 'rounded developed character' like being named after the first thing people see when they look at you.

Reminds me of 'Biclops' from the simpsons. Or any kid named 'Wheels' from 90s diversity kids teams.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

For a moment I thought my monitor was off.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SpacePig posted:

This story keeps getting sadder and sadder.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/page-253#entry3462108

quote:

I just discovered that the user Janus, who had been trolling in this thread (including repeatedly calling people here "haters") until I finally kicked "her" out, is actually Mark Kaminski, who works for RETRO Magazine.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Egg in jar = peel all night

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It's like they didn't realize that the superhero name Handiman was supposed to illicit laughs.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Elfface posted:

Plus they're calling the series, and probably by extension the character, Handicape. Nothing says 'rounded developed character' like being named after the first thing people see when they look at you.

Reminds me of 'Biclops' from the simpsons. Or any kid named 'Wheels' from 90s diversity kids teams.

I thought of this recurring skit from In Living Color, with the hero being named "Handi Man".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

bongwizzard posted:

Those meat claws rule and are indispensable if you own a smoker. They literally cut the time needed to shred a butt by 1/10 over using forks and produces a better result. I also keep mine roped together and wear them around my neck while showering incase I am attacked while all naked and soapy.

Meat rending claws: approved by chefs and ninjas everywhere.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Sounds like wheelchair users need to stand up for themselves.

She's a vet who lost her legs in Iraq

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
But how can you protect your butt from the weefee signals?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's not the kinda wee I'm worried about vis a vis my undies.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
100% lady proof

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Germstore posted:

Oracle is the only hacker in a wheelchair that comes immediately to mind. Snipers need to get into areas that don't have wheelchair ramps. Sorry, but non-physically fighting crime is the least silly way to go.

The super-sniper in "Shooter" was in a wheelchair, but he used his skills to justify starting a massacre in Africa I think? That's pretty evil, but good for him for not giving up, still plying his trade while people like Captain Dan just drinks and wish for death.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fatal Fury fan film. It actually succeeded in getting it's $10,000 goal too. However, I really want to bring your attention to its trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRLhEcRq50 (I think they sent a KoF-style Engrish script to this ad service)

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

The MSJ posted:

Fatal Fury fan film. It actually succeeded in getting it's $10,000 goal too. However, I really want to bring your attention to its trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRLhEcRq50 (I think they sent a KoF-style Engrish script to this ad service)

If nothing else, you've got to applaud their professionalism. Not one single slip in reading that incomprehensible mess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Great Rumbler posted:

If nothing else, you've got to applaud their professionalism. Not one single slip in reading that incomprehensible mess.

It's a crazy nexus of professionalism and not giving a poo poo. Because with copy like that you almost have to give revision notes, but for 20 bucks or whatever they ended up doing it for, who gives a poo poo, just read the word salad in one take and be done with it.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Is there some context for putting the word "her" in scare quotes or does that person just not know that Janus is a male name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It's very hard to do the Super-Smart Paraplegic Person cliche well because if you lean on it too heavily it showcases that you wrote the character not as a person, but as a system of weaknesses and strengths that happens to be person-shaped. While it isn't impossible to make a complex character from that trope, try and name me a Super-Smart Paraplegic Person whose backstory is more complex than "I was smart and could walk, but then tragedy struck and now I must use my brains because I lack brawn" or "I am in a wheelchair and people dumped on me for it a lot before the events of [story], but my smarts give me a tactical advantage behind the scenes".

Well the first paraplegic character I think of is Professor X and he doesn't fit those? Smart person that did brain things who lost the use of his legs and kept doing exactly the same things from a chair. No compensation going on, and lots of complicated motivations unrelated to physical ability.