Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I want "Terrible" to be a keyword.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Human Crouton posted:

I want "Terrible" to be a keyword.

It's already implied on a number of red mythics.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

theres no way something so perfect is random

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

it's so good

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Entropic posted:

Since Banisher Priest they've moved away from the "two separate triggers" templating model in favour of "until" which puts things back where they came from when the condition ends. Mostly to avoid having to explain how the stack works to new players when someone pulls the "blink my o-ring in response to the ETB trigger" trick.

As someone who uses oblivion ring a lot vs blue decks would someone mind explaining what this last part means

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omar al-Bishie posted:

As someone who uses oblivion ring a lot vs blue decks would someone mind explaining what this last part means

blink the o ring after it lands but before the exile resolves, so the card returns to the battlefield from the battlefield, then is exiled forever because the return to the battlefield part resolves first

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Oblivion Ring and things templated like it (Fiend Hunter) exile something permanently if you remove it from the battlefield somehow before the exile trigger resolves, because that causes the return trigger to happen before there's anything to return.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also super fun with Parallax Wave in Legacy Cube since you can get multiple creatures with it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Just in case 40 people haven't answered this by now,

If you read o ring it has two lines: When it enters the battlefield, exile target whatever. When it leaves the battlefield, return whatever.

So think through what happens when you play it. It resolves, the ETB trigger goes on the stack with a target. Both players have priority. So, target their bomb and in response, find some way to sac your o-ring. The leaves the battlefield trigger goes on the stack on top of enters. It resolves and does nothing since there's no exiled card yet. Then enters resolves and exiles their creature. If you did it right you have o ring in hand again to get their next best creature.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Also super fun with Parallax Wave in Legacy Cube since you can get multiple creatures with it.

I just realized I want to steal everyone's fatties using Parallax Wave and Gather Specimens in EDH so thanks for that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

I just realized I want to steal everyone's fatties using Parallax Wave and Gather Specimens in EDH so thanks for that.
Ha, that's a sweet idea, I'm going to steal that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Is there any good land ramp left in standard after rotation? Thaumitic compass seems really broken if so.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Is there any good land ramp left in standard after rotation? Thaumitic compass seems really broken if so.

Hour of Promise. The ramp deck that top 8ed DC ran 4 in his main.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2017

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

My creatures don't die, they go to heaven.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

Hour of Promise

Umm, is it completely bought out on TCGplayer? LOL

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

Card Kingdom has them for 1.30

EDIT: TCGplayer seems to have a bunch
http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/hour-of-devastation/hour-of-promise

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Jesus did people buy up every loving checkland?! I can't find a Glacial Fortress to save my life on TCG that's a verified seller

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Omar al-Bishie posted:

It's probably actually worth spelling out since it doesn't come up much any more and it's not that intuitive if you're not familiar with A) how the stack works and B) the fact that whenever a game object changes zones it's treated as a completely new object with no memory of or relation to any previous triggers or effects it generated.

It's easier to do with Fiend Hunter type creatures since there's more things that blink them. e.g.:

Cast Fiend Hunter.

Its enters-the-battlefield trigger goes on the stack, targeting one of your opponent's creatures.

In response to that trigger, cast Cloudshift or Restoration Angel to blink your Fiend Hunter.
Assuming the Cloudshift / Resto Angel resolves...

Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield.
Its "when this leaves the battlefield, return all creatures exiled with it to the battlefield" trigger goes on the stack.
Fiend hunter returns to the battlefield. Another instance of its ETB trigger goes on the stack, targeting another creature.

So now you have a Fiend Hunter on the battlefield and the stack looks like this:

1. Fiend Hunter "exile target creature" trigger
2. Fiend Hunter "return creature" trigger (from a previous version of Fiend Hunter that, as far as the game is concerned, no longer exists)
3. Fiend Hunter "Exile target creature" trigger (also from a version of Fiend Hunter which no longer exists)

So now we resolve the stack:
1. Exile a creature.
2. There's nothing returned to exile. The creature exiled in step 1 doesn't return because it wasn't exiled by the same instance of Fiend Hunter that generated the return trigger.
3. Exile another creature.

The creature exiled in step 3 is gone forever. The creature exiled in step 1 will come back when the Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This owns and I hope it has more legs than @drilmagic did (does?)

Sickening posted:

It's secret tech for Valakut decks but they're still fairly cheap to pick up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

Card Kingdom has them for 1.30

EDIT: TCGplayer seems to have a bunch
http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/hour-of-devastation/hour-of-promise

The website must be having issues, because it says it doesn't exist when I go there. Just seems like a back breaking card in a deck that cheats out lands.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

The website must be having issues, because it says it doesn't exist when I go there. Just seems like a back breaking card in a deck that cheats out lands.

Over 100 listed when I click the link. All around 1.50

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I think I am going to pick up playsets of the Kaladesh vampires and pirates just in case those end up being decks in Ixalan. Everything is still very cheap.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I saw Rosewater's name scrolling down before I saw the tweet so I had the experience of, "God, I hope he doesn't do the whole "World, meet [card name]" thing agai-dammit."

Someone should make a twitter bot that does that for every card that gets spoiled

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Always neat to see an old keyword/ability word in new colors.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 6, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oh poo poo. When was the last time this was in standard? Last I saw it was the first Conspiracy set.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

AlternateNu posted:

Oh poo poo. When was the last time this was in standard? Last I saw it was the first Conspiracy set.

Avacyn Restored, so early 2012. A while back.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Elyv posted:

I don't know when/why someone would want this card but I guess it exists

So I really want the story of how this gibbon became a goblin at the last minute.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Zemyla posted:

It doesn't make sense flavorfully that it's not a combat damage trigger. Shouldn't the boat have to reach land in order to establish a foothold?

The boat does have to "reach land" by surviving combat. This thing works great from a flavor perspective - it's made to establish the beachhead, hence the big butt and not flipping until post-combat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

teddust posted:

So I really want the story of how this gibbon became a goblin at the last minute.

They'd have a standard without goblins. After Shadows, Kaladesh, and Amonkhet, it truly occurred to them that they have hosed up. All the other changes, like one-set blocks and such, are just echoes of their neglect of goblins.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I don't want to say Favorable Winds could be a replacement in the UR Prowess deck, but it is a great way to turn on Riddeform. Doesn't work in the UR Drake deck. Does turn Thopter Engineer into a house.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How is UR anything going to deal with losing Fevered Visions?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

teddust posted:

Wait, the art direction was Goblin? Crud, gimme a minute

See also: Hyalopterous Lemures

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's early, but I'm liking the look of BW Vampire tribal just now. I actually missed Bloodcrazed Paladin a few days ago, which perhaps won't be a card in the tribal deck (depends if there is an aristocrat at least) but might be fun in my modern aristocrat brews. Does have the problem of being a two-drop you probably can't play on T2, but I like it with Bloodghast and Return to the Ranks.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't want to say Favorable Winds could be a replacement in the UR Prowess deck, but it is a great way to turn on Riddeform. Doesn't work in the UR Drake deck. Does turn Thopter Engineer into a house.

Thopter Engineer is not in standard (I wish it was)

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm going to sell my Japanese foil Opts and retire!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I knew duress was coming back. Welcome home sweet prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Opt is Modern-legal now, this is big.