Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Simply put, if there are so many figures that a tray is even considered necessary, Im not interested. I dont have time to collect and paint 150 - 300 figures for a game. Id rather go play Infinity, with my 8 - 12 figures, or hell, even Deadzone with my small squad. Massive battles, and tons of figures is (in my opinion) a childs wish, something I wanted when I was 13 and just getting into 40k. After painting over a hundred space marines, that poo poo got old and I lost all interest in massive figure count games.

On another topic, Dust tactics, has released Dust Battlefield rules, which is basically a Dust Tactics, without the gridded table. I wonder if we can see something like that coming for Deadzone but I doubt it since there is so much focus on the "cube". Basically, this leaves me with hoping Warpath isn't as previously discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm fine with massive battles but not at 28mm. You can have big battles fairly cheaply in 15 or 10mm.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The odd thing is, I absolutely love Mantic's approach to massed ranks of troops in KoW (instead of removing handfuls of infantry as they take hits, the unit as a whole is removed once a certain threshold is reached), partly because it simplifies handling how units take damage and partly because it allows modelers to get really creative by creating little unit "dioramas". But the idea of movement trays in Warpath just really sounds so bass-ackwards to me. :sigh:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not opposed to them on principle. For instance:

The difference is that Dropzone Commander, as pictured, is a 10mm scale wargame. While it is tactical, I am really not sure how well that scales upwards when the models are several times as big but the play area isn't. While DZC is doing pretty okay, it's a harder sell for Warpath. And as much as I like Kings of War and find its unit-based play very tactically satisfying, I don't see its design conceits translating into a more ranged-dominant and vehicle based style of gameplay.

But I'm not discounting it. Just sceptical.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Oh yeah, I didnt mean I dont like any mass battles, just not in 28mm, its too much to paint, way too time consuming and takes way too much space to play, 6mm, 10mm and 15mm are great for mass battles, typically cheap to build an army, and very fast to paint. In 28mm I prefer skirmish, or maybe 20 - 30 figures at most, even that gets a little long in the tooth for gameplay.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I could see doing unit formations, but not just straight up trays. I don't mind having a tray in some shape that defines some aspect of gameplay, like loose formation vs phalanx or something. If it's just trays with no meaning to the tray, then all you're really saying to me is buy more guys and paint more guys.

That said I also don't really know how they would deal with those formations if you had to move from one formation to another. I don't mind group movement by tray offensive on principle, I just want there to be a reason I'm doing it other than aesthetics or sales.

And really all that stems from a heavy dislike of moving 10-man squads 8 inches individually trying to keep the same spacing.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
It's weird to me, because my local club seem pretty interested in the trays/unit-basing idea - they aren't 40k players, though, and that might make a difference.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It would be fantastic if they produced multi-based Warpath miniatures in 6mm. Some might even consider it epic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This make me think of a compromise where you'd have trays for conveniently moving things around as a coherent unit, but you could get off the tray (out of formation) for things like navigating complex terrain or charging. And whether you were in formation or not would have some sort of minor mechanical effect.

It's just kind of spitballing. I'm not nearly as attracted to the idea of Warpath as I am to KoW.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Played another game of Deadzone last night, this time as Rebels. Is it just me, or are Rebels basically crap? I got completely steamrolled by Enforcers. I had some bad rolls and managed to get caught out in the open some, but the 5+'s were killing me on just about everything. That and no AP1 guns. Even my Fighting Turtle Monster got killed.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Speaking of Epic, anyone taken part in a demo/playtest of Polyversal? Looks nice, and I am definitely interested, but info is at a premium so far.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

SquadronROE posted:

Played another game of Deadzone last night, this time as Rebels. Is it just me, or are Rebels basically crap? I got completely steamrolled by Enforcers. I had some bad rolls and managed to get caught out in the open some, but the 5+'s were killing me on just about everything. That and no AP1 guns. Even my Fighting Turtle Monster got killed.

Honestly I think its you, I've played against Rebs as Enforcers, and I won, but only by 1 point. They are basically immune to suppression fire because of their deck. and that teleporting turtle can be devastating if it teleports and attacks in the same turn, it killed my Enforcer Captain in one hit doing that combined with an attack card.

Don't neglect your cards, they are powerful.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Found a guy who has some awesome scenery built from when he used to play 40k, is there an easy way to convert deadzone movement to playing without the grids?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fenarisk posted:

Found a guy who has some awesome scenery built from when he used to play 40k, is there an easy way to convert deadzone movement to playing without the grids?

Not really, its way more than movement, all of the weapons use it, and they have a strong focus on "the cube" suppression fire for example affects everything in a 3x3x3 inch cube.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

You could try changing the cube size to fit the terrain

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If it's removable scenery rather than complete boards, you could lay down plastic with the grid printed on it and just reasonably estimate which cube each section of the scenery is in.

I've got some really cool MDF stuff designed for Infinity that will work a treat for Deadzone scattered inside or across cubes, I only need to put it on a board or mat with the 3 inch grid, and then use the Battlezones alongside or a simple foot long ruler for measuring vertical distances.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 13, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I dunno, if you limited to 3" movement then it might work alright. For blaze away just have it affect all models within 1.5" which should give the same effect.

Just be aware that it's a bit of a hack so things might not work *perfectly*.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Do we think dkh4 will use square or circular bases?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

LumberingTroll posted:

Honestly I think its you, I've played against Rebs as Enforcers, and I won, but only by 1 point. They are basically immune to suppression fire because of their deck. and that teleporting turtle can be devastating if it teleports and attacks in the same turn, it killed my Enforcer Captain in one hit doing that combined with an attack card.

Don't neglect your cards, they are powerful.

It could be that my cards were bad too. I simply didn't get much that was terribly useful. I'll try playing as them again. We also didn't play with a whole lot of terrain, so that really helped out the Enforcers.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I don't think it's just you. Rebs were designed to have a sharp learning curve and rely on their cards and missions but I'm starting to think it's too much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Phoon posted:

Do we think dkh4 will use square or circular bases?

Pretty sure it'll either be renedra squares, or totally integral squares like all my Hero Quest guys

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure it'll either be renedra squares, or totally integral squares like all my Hero Quest guys

Given their shift to preassembled with DBX for the boardgame market, I'm expecting some sort of integral base, even if it's just preglued like the Loka ones

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Daedleh posted:

I don't think it's just you. Rebs were designed to have a sharp learning curve and rely on their cards and missions but I'm starting to think it's too much.

It's always best, in balancing, to assume every player is equally skilled. In this case, a player with an army that "needs a lot of skill" (steep learning curve, reliance on tactical considerations outside the models, etc) is probably going to do badly against a player who is just as good but has a less punishing hill to climb at all levels of play.

It doesn't help when Rebs rely more on luck of the draw, either. Luck is the single worst thing to tactically plan for.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I hate randomness in competitive games unless the game is designed around that randomness. Dreadball, for example, I know has special rules for rolling doubles and such, and there's a card mechanic and all kinds of poo poo, but the game is designed for spectacular poo poo to happen based on that randomness.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can't help but notice that there are only four lists available right now for Warpath. It's cool and all that they have squats and space skaven, but what's the future look like for the game at the moment?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can't help but notice that there are only four lists available right now for Warpath. It's cool and all that they have squats and space skaven, but what's the future look like for the game at the moment?

From interviews, the kickstarter they plan to do is going to fully equip with hard plastic troops and vehicles all four of the current armies. After that, I think they're still considering splitting the Enforcers out of the Corporation army into their own faction, they have the Asterians, Rebs and Plague from Deadzone to be expanded out into full armies - and with the Plague elites there, all you need is a few boxes of the upcoming plague zombies and an army list to get going with them. After that, they just added a bunch of races to the fluff via Dreadball Xtreme, who coul be part of the rebs, or make their own full factions.

Should be noted the shortest term of all this is the Kickstarter due next year, which everyone is hoping will fund so well it does the first 4 complete factions and then manages to add at least another two more. Everything else is a long term project.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just googled the Asterians and they have the look I want. Guess I'll be waiting.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just googled the Asterians and they have the look I want. Guess I'll be waiting.

Pretty sure Asterians and Rebs will be armies 5 and 6. In any event, Mantic releases the army list on their site for you to try out and give feedback on long before they get the plastic done, so you'll be able to try it with proxies soon enough.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Plague will bring it up to 7 races (WP2.0 alpha list here). I suspect they'll be aiming for 8 races altogether but not sure what the eighth will be. They've obviously got a lot of them designed for Dreadball already so it'll likely be one of those padded out into a full faction.

I've taken screenshots of the discussion around multibasing in Warpath and passed them onto the design team as feedback on the concept. Can I also ask what peoples opinions are on the idea of a lack of casualty removal ala WP1 and KoW?

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 15, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's tricky. Unit size is going to affect it, too. If I shoot a space-bazooka into a pack of 50 Plague zombies and 'nothing' happens (except some wound markers), it gives the tactile feedback that this is an unstoppable horde, our weapons are useless! But if putting that same shot into a 5 Corporation marines yields the same feedback? In the absence of justification, we're left with the disjointed feeling this bazooka sucks. You want that feeling in fantasy, because nearly everything you fight is fantastically tough or numerous, and there are fewer bazooka-equivalents.

If wounds / suppression make a big difference in the game, that may help. Otherwise weapons are going to feel 'soft' and without consequence. But if you go too far in the other direction, you get swingy rocket-tag.

You could compromise on the granularity of damage, with maybe three-per-based destroyable elements and a single-based leader? That way you could kill off three guys at a time, but unless three people's worth of damage happens you just place wound / suppression tokens. A unit's fighting effectiveness would also degrade with damage - which is arguably more important.

One of the biggest complaints against Epic Armageddon was that shooting felt generic, since each battlegroup pooled their weapons' values into a firepower rating (instead of rolling dozens of individual weapons). And this is a totally appropriate way of doing things at that scale, but people still wanted to know which tank gave the killing blow? Was that officer killed by a laser or an explosion? People had 28mm expectations for a 6mm game, and it was an anchor around Armageddon's neck throughout it's short lifespan.

This is a 10mm mechanic for a 28mm game. Flames of War (15mm) splits a squad over two bases, with a platoon being made of several squads. In 28mm, it might make sense to parcel a 12-man squad out over three or four bases, but it feels like you're just multi-basing because you're married to the idea and need to shoehorn it in. Unless it substantially improves play speed or makes things dramatically more fun, people aren't going to touch it.

Nobody is going to commit hundreds of figures to a weird basing scheme, especially when they'd become unsuitable for Deadzone / Tomorrow's War / Infinity / Necromunda / etc.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Having no casualty removal would remove that cinemtic last man standing feel as your squads get whittled away. Getting down to one guy and then watching him go on a spree before being brought down is awesome, and just doesn't feel the same when it's a block of guys who all stay there for 3 turns, and then simultaneously vanish once they hit the wound counter limit.

I agree, it's a mechanic for multibased units, but multibasing is not an appropriate method for a 28mm scifi game.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I like casualty removal, from a fun aspect. It's neat seeing squads shrink as they die! I'd also prefer not to have movement trays, to allow for individual placement to matter.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Depends on the abstraction, again. If there are movement trays then yeah, whatever, nerve damage. It's already a huge abstraction anyway. If it's individual models, why are we moving individual models if we're not using individual models? That was one of the disconnects with 1.0, as much as I loved how nice and quick it was.

Of course there's no reason why you can't have your cake and eat it. Maybe do unit-based shooting where you represent Nerve damage (or whatever attrition mechanic you want) with cas removal, which outright reduces the unit's footprint on the table which can have knock-on effects on tactics. That's simple enough.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

How do they plan to justify trays when the game is designed to be used with their plastic terrain?

Fit trays in that. Seriously. I see no way to marry trays with their terrain ideas.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Daedleh posted:

I've taken screenshots of the discussion around multibasing in Warpath and passed them onto the design team as feedback on the concept. Can I also ask what peoples opinions are on the idea of a lack of casualty removal ala WP1 and KoW?

If you'r not dealing with a ton of models, there is no reason not to have casualty removal. If there are a ton of models you should be playing fantasy regiments, or a smaller scale.

If I have to buy, assemble, and paint 50+ 28mm figures for a game of WP3, I'm not interested. Especially if I can't just use the same figures from Deadzone.

No casualty removal works fine in KoW. It keeps the gameplay moving fast. But I don't want WP3 to be KoW with a different coat of paint.

signalnoise posted:

How do they plan to justify trays when the game is designed to be used with their plastic terrain?

Fit trays in that. Seriously. I see no way to marry trays with their terrain ideas.

War40k where you have 6 terrain elements on the table, and its more about dice rolls than tactics and planning. You can't have a skirmish game with out a lot of small terrain, and LoS breaking elements. Formation trays, and mass battles are not skirmish games.

Proper skirmish games would be things like; Necromunda, Freebooters, Warmachine (at low to mid point range), Mordheim, Infinity, Anima Tactics, Carnivale, Wulsung and many others. These all use a lot of terrain, and individually based figures.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 15, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

War40k where you have 6 terrain elements on the table, and its more about dice rolls than tactics and planning. You can't have a skirmish game with out a lot of small terrain, and LoS breaking elements. Formation trays, and mass battles are not skirmish games.

Proper skirmish games would be things like; Necromunda, Freebooters, Warmachine (at low to mid point range), Mordheim, Infinity, Anima Tactics, Carnivale, Wulsung and many others. These all use a lot of terrain, and individually based figures.

So they want you to use less terrain in the bigger game, yet in the smaller game the size of the board is very limited. What I'm saying is, from a business standpoint, they'd want people to buy these 100 dollar sets of terrain, right? And then use it for what? Simultaneous games? Taller buildings, I suppose?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

signalnoise posted:

So they want you to use less terrain in the bigger game, yet in the smaller game the size of the board is very limited. What I'm saying is, from a business standpoint, they'd want people to buy these 100 dollar sets of terrain, right? And then use it for what? Simultaneous games? Taller buildings, I suppose?

Thats part of my problem with the direction WP3 is going. It's disjointed from everything else they have established for the sci-fi version of their games. Just because a mechanic works well in one game does not mean that it needs to be included in all of their games. What works for KoW, does not mean it works for WP3.

The battlezone terrain were designed for use in as many games as possible, they have already said this, they count on games-workshop customers buying their terrain, same can be said for Infinity customers and any other sci-fi game really. My biggest issue is that Ronnie seems to like a mechanic so thinks it needs to be in everything, this is a bad way to design games.

I almost feel like Mantic has too many directions its trying to go at the same time with such a small company.

Kings of War
Dwarf Kings hold
Warpath
Deadzone
Project Pandora
Dreadball
Mars Attacks
Battlezones Terrain

That's eight specific product lines. some are interchangeable, some are not, and its spread over two settings. Some of the products share mechanics.
  • Warpath, Deadzone, Project Pandora, and Dreadball are all the same settings
  • Kings of War and Drawf Kings Hold are the same setting
  • Dwark Kings Hold and Project Pandora are basically the same with different theme.
  • Deadzone and Mars Attacks - again same system different theme
Now there is talk of Warpath becoming more like KoW.
If all of these games / products get too similar in mechanics, whats the point?

I really like Mantic, but the direction things seem to be going makes me worry.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Put simply, Warpath needs to basically be a better version of Warhammer 40k, as Kings of War seems to be a better version of WHFB.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Put simply, Warpath needs to basically be a better version of Warhammer 40k, as Kings of War seems to be a better version of WHFB.

Exactly. This is precisely what I want from Warpath. Bonus points if I get not-Tau as a faction so I can use my Crisis suits and whatnot. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Esser-Z posted:

Exactly. This is precisely what I want from Warpath. Bonus points if I get not-Tau as a faction so I can use my Crisis suits and whatnot. :v:

Asterian troops are mostly Cyphers, which are halfway between a Dreadnought and a Wraithlord in fluff terms, but physically look like skinny, pointy robits.

I wouldn't have a problem with using fire warriors as Cyphers, and Ethereals as the actual rare Asterians. Not sure what else they have Crisis suit sized in the works though.