Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

That still looks awesome though, I really wanna get a float tube! Unfortunately, I also want some of those fancy Force Fins because anything that makes my lazy rear end exert less energy is a win in my book. Watch out for the rattlers, apparently they like to come chill on float tubes!

Oh cool, a fresh anxiety which I had not previously considered! :v: I'm totally going to keep this in the back of my mind, though, especially if I'm tubing east of the Cascades in the desert part of the state. I'm just glad that we don't have water moccasins or anything like that here.

I hope that you love your new rod, too! May it serve you well. And your point about fins is very apt. The guy I bought the ODC 420 from threw in a pair of old backpacking-style fins and they suck poo poo. It is no fun at all trying to tighten a heel strap with one hand while you're in the middle of the lake, trying not to tip or dump anything. I replaced them with Classic Accessories Thruster fins and they're extremely good in comparison. I would love a pair of Force Fins and I'll probably get some eventually, but for $40, the Thruster fins worked a treat.

HOWEVER! If you're thinking about getting a float tube and strapping a bunch of gear to it like I'm doing, you may consider getting a one-seat pontoon boat instead. I'd much prefer paddling or a trolling motor to fin propulsion (not to mention looking forward instead of behind), and sometimes it would be nicer to be sitting on or over the water instead of halfway in it. It's probably what I'd do if I hadn't practically robbed an old man on Craigslist to get the ODC 420.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Do pontoon boats have a hard frame? If so just get a kayak, the whole appeal of a tube to me is that you can stash it in the trunk of a car so you’re always ready to fish.

The spawn is fully underway here so things are slowing down a little bit but I’m still able to catch at least a bass or every trip, which is nice. The winter always shakes my confidence and I become convinced that I’m never going to catch a fish again.

I also saw a pair of the biggest bass I’ve ever seen in person the other day. They were fully engaged in the spawn dance so I left them alone, but holy hell they were so big first I thought they were carp.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Do pontoon boats have a hard frame? If so just get a kayak, the whole appeal of a tube to me is that you can stash it in the trunk of a car so you’re always ready to fish.

The spawn is fully underway here so things are slowing down a little bit but I’m still able to catch at least a bass or every trip, which is nice. The winter always shakes my confidence and I become convinced that I’m never going to catch a fish again.

I also saw a pair of the biggest bass I’ve ever seen in person the other day. They were fully engaged in the spawn dance so I left them alone, but holy hell they were so big first I thought they were carp.

There is a 16 inch bass nesting 5 feet offshore in my backyard and I can hang out and watch him swim around. I don't want to catch it. Does that make me weird?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Toss him stunned minnows to eat.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, feed the poo poo out of him every day.

Catch him when he's like 25 inches.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I think I'm gonna bike down to the river after work and see if I can pull anything out. Mississippi pool 2, so I can't take home any walleye if I were to get so lucky, but should be nice to get some line wet. I also just learned there's a hardware shop within a few miles that sells live bait!

Gumbel definitely feed that guy and make him huge

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I can't believe I didn't think of this. He's gonna run to the river and break my heart when he's done but I'll enjoy my outdoor aquarium for the time being

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
There was a dude on YouTube that would cast net for shad and feed them to all these hungry bass and turtles that would hang out by his house. His videos were super boring for the most part, but it was fun to watch a few times.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

This can be done, but my float tube is pretty bulky even deflated, and you also have to factor in a pump, waders, fins, and anything you want to strap to the thing. That wouldn't leave room for much else in the trunk to have it in there full time.

For pontoon boat vs. kayak, each have their strengths. I'd prefer the boat if a trolling motor is involved, and I'm sure that some people prefer oars to paddles. Kayaks seem way more versatile overall, though.

quote:

I wonder how many little bass they're responsible for. Were they big enough to eat rats?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

No pics, but I caught a carp and freshwater drum. Nothing of any size, but I'm using an ultralight so it's pretty loving fun to fight a pounder+ fish. Was nice to just chill on the shore. I'll be doing that again soon.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

This can be done, but my float tube is pretty bulky even deflated, and you also have to factor in a pump, waders, fins, and anything you want to strap to the thing. That wouldn't leave room for much else in the trunk to have it in there full time.

My hatchback currently contains the seat, drive, and paddle for my kayak, plus my PFD. There’s a duffel bag with waiders, waider boots, assorted rain gear. There’s a big tackle bag that holds a rotating pile of gear and between one and four rods. There are generally two backpacks, one for short little walks and loaded for a full day hike also living there, just in case I gotta walk far. I had to pull out dispose of one of the rear seats and am thinking of getting rid of the other one by summertime.

Always ready to fish isnt a fuckin game.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Took my old man out on a head boat in Cape May for the first day of Black Seabass season. Caught like 6 bigass Tog (which aren't in season), but only 2 keeper seabass between the two of us. I only caught 1 keeper Tog all fall, and like a million keeper sized seabass when they weren't in season over the summer... At least the fish gods have a sense of humor.

Anyway my hatchback currently holds one 2 person inflatable raft in a big bag, two 2 piece aluminum oars, an airpump, a small mushroom anchor, a $50 portable fishfinder, a pair of chest waders, heavy thigh-high socks for the waders, a rain jacket, 3 poles, 2 extra spinning reels, a tacklebox stuffed with gear, a tackle backpack stuffed with gear, a ukulele, and a skateboard... keeping all this in a Fiesta ST from spring to fall should get me a medal or at least some sort of certificate.

My girlfriend and I got into a big fight last summer about me keeping all this poo poo in my car when I stay at her house (can't fit a child seat for her 4y/o son, plus lots of sharp things all over the place), yet it's mostly still in there although I leave the raft and it's related gear at home, break down the rods, and make sure there are no hooks or knives laying around. I mean, she lives 2 blocks from the loving bay, how could I not bring gear?

Always ready to fish is not a loving game indeed.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay to-dos for the summer are feed my pet bass and respool my Mitchell 310 Medium Light rig and put a crankbait on there for lunch time fishing

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rape Stink posted:

Took my old man out on a head boat in Cape May for the first day of Black Seabass season. Caught like 6 bigass Tog (which aren't in season), but only 2 keeper seabass between the two of us. I only caught 1 keeper Tog all fall, and like a million keeper sized seabass when they weren't in season over the summer... At least the fish gods have a sense of humor.

Anyway my hatchback currently holds one 2 person inflatable raft in a big bag, two 2 piece aluminum oars, an airpump, a small mushroom anchor, a $50 portable fishfinder, a pair of chest waders, heavy thigh-high socks for the waders, a rain jacket, 3 poles, 2 extra spinning reels, a tacklebox stuffed with gear, a tackle backpack stuffed with gear, a ukulele, and a skateboard... keeping all this in a Fiesta ST from spring to fall should get me a medal or at least some sort of certificate.

My girlfriend and I got into a big fight last summer about me keeping all this poo poo in my car when I stay at her house (can't fit a child seat for her 4y/o son, plus lots of sharp things all over the place), yet it's mostly still in there although I leave the raft and it's related gear at home, break down the rods, and make sure there are no hooks or knives laying around. I mean, she lives 2 blocks from the loving bay, how could I not bring gear?

Always ready to fish is not a loving game indeed.

Dude :sever:

Like you brought a two-person raft, what more can she want !?!?!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Me irl

Are smaller shad raps good for shallow river shore fishing walleye? Given there's so much submerged poo poo in the mississippi I don't wanna lose $7 on a single cast

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

People's situations are different. :shrug: I live in a city and my car would get broken into and ransacked if I rolled that way, so I have to make do with a trout rod and tackle box in my trunk. When I take out my float tube, I have to be able to carry everything on my person in one load. And my dudes, my original point was acknowledging that a default full-time loadout like that was possible but not practical for most people, not hardcore motherfuckers to which fishing anything, anywhere, under any conditions is no game. I'm waiting for someone to be like, bitch, do you even live on your boat? :smuggo:

Hooplah posted:

No pics, but I caught a carp and freshwater drum. Nothing of any size, but I'm using an ultralight so it's pretty loving fun to fight a pounder+ fish. Was nice to just chill on the shore. I'll be doing that again soon.

Dude post pics when you catch more! I'm totally unfamiliar with freshwater drum, but I just looked it up and now I totally want to fight one on an ultralight. Did you catch both on the same bait/lure? Minnesota/Great Lakes fishing is super interesting to me since it's so different from PNW fishing. Ever caught a muskie?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

And my dudes, my original point was acknowledging that a default full-time loadout like that was possible but not practical for most people, not hardcore motherfuckers to which fishing anything, anywhere, under any conditions is no game. I'm waiting for someone to be like, bitch, do you even live on your boat? :smuggo:

just lol if you don’t have a surplus survival fishing kit stashed in ur anus 24/7

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh poo poo, I thought we were talking about cars. I'll never question the practicality of keistering a hundred yards of line, baitholder hooks, and a couple dozen nightcrawlers. That's what the anus is for.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

After what happened last year I've learned to only keep circle hooks in anal storage. I also recommend using the shortest shank possible. You'll thank me later

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Most people don't know this, but your foreskin is a great place to store extra trout hooks.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Are we just operating under the assumption that these are barbless hooks? I've had way too many problems with barbed hooks and my foreskin. Please advise.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Check your state regulations

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Took the yak for its first real drift in the main river. The wind was 20-30km/h from the North, which sped my drift along nicely.

I didn't end up catching anything on my one pass, and paddling against the wind, waves, and current made me shut down things when I got back.

This is a very quick river.

There's an island in the middle of the river that divides Canada and US, so we always fish this little patch, which is a couple blocks from my house.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rape Stink posted:

Most people don't know this, but your foreskin is a great place to store extra trout hooks.

I'm circumcised, so unfortunately I have to make do with the anus

APOK, I'm going back out to the river tomorrow with my gf. She'll definitely help when i tell her i need pics of fish because of the internet

I was fishing with just a jighead with half a nightcrawler hooked into it, with splitshot 10" up. Both fish caught with that setup. I think tomorrow I'm switching to a regular hook so I can use a whole nightcrawler strung up past the eyelet. I've never caught a muskie!

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 18, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I just landed in DC and I'll be here until Monday. Which one of you mouth breathing, fedora wearing, vape smoking goonbas are taking me fishing?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I just landed in DC and I'll be here until Monday. Which one of you mouth breathing, fedora wearing, vape smoking goonbas are taking me fishing?

Where are you actually staying? It’s been raining for like a week solid year so everything’s going to be high and muddy.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah it's dumping rain today, big change from San Diego lol. I'm over by Georgetown, my little brother is graduating from med school so I'm here for the weekend. I don't even think I have time to fish but I had a layover in Charlotte and it gave me the itch, seeing all that water and nature.

I did see some bluegills having sex in the pond by the memorials, so there's that at least.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 18, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Yeah it's dumping rain today, big change from San Diego lol. I'm over by Georgetown, my little brother is graduating from med school so I'm here for the weekend. I don't even think I have time to fish but I had a layover in Charlotte and it gave me the itch, seeing all that water and nature.

I did see some bluegills having sex in the pond by the memorials, so there's that at least.

I think the C&O canal is currently drained and under construction, but if you walk from Gtown down towards the river you will hit it.

My first decent smallie, caught right off of I think 23rd street? Right behind the Four Seasons in any case.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
loving bass. Have some sharks.

I recently put a light on the kayak so I can go out for some night fishing. Tonight had a high tide about an hour after sunset which is about as perfect as you can get for fishing so I headed out to a sheltered part of the local bay to soak some baits. Apologies for the crappy photos, night time photography with an iPhone in a kayak doesn't give great results.

Right on high tide both rods went off and by some miracle I managed to get both fish without either of them wrapping themselves around the anchor rope or each other. That was a small gummy shark and a nice flathead.

Not long afterwards the heavy rod went off again and a second gummy shark was in the yak

That is dinner sorted out for a few nights. This was the first time I've fished this spot so it was pretty good to come away with a couple of fish. I've recently moved to a place called Geelong for work and while there is plenty of water close by it's very different to Westernport where I did the majority of my fishing previously so I've got to start from scratch learning where the good spots are.

Here's some other pics from recent outings that I haven't had a chance to upload yet.

There are some lakes in extinct volcanoes nearby that have been stocked with trout and also have a feral population of redfin perch (similar to to the perch you guys get in the US)

These were from a trip we made to Port MacDonnell in South Australia and Portland in western Victoria. We were kayaking offshore looking for tuna, we covered about 60km for the weekend and didn't see a single fish.
Minny didn't have a heart attack this time so he'd consider the trip a success despite the lack of fish

Looking back towards Portland from somewhere offshore

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What type of yak do you have again?

Some of the distances you cover are incredible, I’m so obsessed with casting to every piece of cover or structure that I see that I rarely make it more than 4 or 5 miles in a full day of fishing.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ugh, weeklong+ of garbage weather got my offshore trip canceled, so no snapper for me tonight.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

What type of yak do you have again?

Some of the distances you cover are incredible, I’m so obsessed with casting to every piece of cover or structure that I see that I rarely make it more than 4 or 5 miles in a full day of fishing.

I've got a Native Watercraft Slayer 13 and a Stealth Fisha 500. If I'm up a river or a snaggy lake I won't go far but fishing offshore for tuna is all about covering the miles looking for signs of fish. Most of the time it's a solid 5-6km just to the deeper water where we start trolling and then it's more paddling looking birds diving or schools of bait on the sounder.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

gay picnic defence posted:

I've got a Native Watercraft Slayer 13 and a Stealth Fisha 500. If I'm up a river or a snaggy lake I won't go far but fishing offshore for tuna is all about covering the miles looking for signs of fish. Most of the time it's a solid 5-6km just to the deeper water where we start trolling and then it's more paddling looking birds diving or schools of bait on the sounder.

I've done almost no saltwater paddling, but I start getting nervous once I'm a mile from shore on Lake Michigan or Superior (which are the only places I've paddled that far out). What do you use in terms of safety kit? A rescue beacon? I guess the water's warm enough that hypothermia isn't a concern?

EDIT: or is that a dry suit in those photos?

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 20, 2018

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
drat... I couldn't even imagine being more than a mile offshore in anything without a motor. I won't eve leave the inlets without at least 40hp.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

I've done almost no saltwater paddling, but I start getting nervous once I'm a mile from shore on Lake Michigan or Superior (which are the only places I've paddled that far out). What do you use in terms of safety kit? A rescue beacon? I guess the water's warm enough that hypothermia isn't a concern?

EDIT: or is that a dry suit in those photos?

The Stealth has foam filled sections so it'll float even if a shark chews a big hole in it or whatever. On offshore trips I take a spare paddle, flares, my EPIRB and a waterproof torch. I've also got a radio but it's hosed at the moment.

Clothing depends on the weather a bit. It's usually thermals with dry pants and a spray jacket to keep the wind off. We're coming into winter now and the water will get to around 12C, in the colder months I add more layers of thermals. The thermals/spray jacket combo is good because if I fall in the thermals will wick the water away from my skin while the spray jacket will keep the wind off; so it'll be uncomfortable and damp but I won't get hypothermia.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

There is a section of the river 15 minutes from home I'd been meaning to try out for a while now and today was the day. I'd heard a rumour that someone had been conducting their own clandestine stocking program and as a result there were cod living in these waters so I took a baitcast combo and a jitterbug as well as a light soft plastic setup for perch or trout.

It was a pretty fishy looking bit of river, snags everywhere and plenty of weed beds as I discovered. Pretty annoying when they foul the prop but this is where all the little crustaceans and tiny fish that form the base of the food chain live so it was a good sign nonetheless.

This was my first time using the baitcaster aside from a few halfhearted flicks around the back yard. Fair to say it was birdsnest city as I struggled with overruns trying to get a bit of extra distance.

Eventually I came to a completely overgrown section which put a halt to proceedings and I turned around and headed back to the car. On the way back I worked a little soft plastic along the banks and picked up a few tiny perch. If I had the gear it might have been worth using one as a livebait but as it was I only had a bare minimum of tackle so I threw them back. On the way back I saw a bloke fishing from the bank drop a big carp, we had a quick chat and he told me there were some quite large perch here so I might have to bring some bigger plastics next time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

A proper fishing kayak looks so much nicer to work off than my hodge podge one. :allears:

We hit that same stretch of river as always, but this time in my buddy's boat instead of the kayak. It's a lot nicer when you don't get a fish on a pass, and just zip back up river :sweatdrop:

20" Walter coming on board

6 fish for 2 guys in a boat for a few hours after lunch. Smallest was 18.5" and largest 22.5".

I really want to catch one in the yak on my ultralight setup, as a few pounds of walleye will take some fighting to get it in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Sockington posted:

A proper fishing kayak looks so much nicer to work off than my hodge podge one. :allears:

It makes a big difference having a good layout and plenty of storage space and it’s eell worth spending the money getting a decent kayak to fish out of. My first kayak was an early fishing kayak bought out before much thought went into the design and a couple of flush mount rod holders added to s sit on top touring kayak was considered sufficient. It was serviceable but got frustrating at times, upgrading to a couple of much better designs has made a huge difference and it’s much more enjoyable to fish out of. On that yak in the picture I can take a heap of stuff out with me and access it quickly when needed, the other kayak will fit 4 fully rigged rods and s fish bag inside the hull which protects my gear if I have launch/retrieve through a surf break.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 20, 2018

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm going to respool my little Mitchell medium light and keep it in my car.

It's caught quite a few bass but I'm going to keep it set for trout and panfish I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

River fishing is so much fun. I've now been three times this week and I want to go again today. Anyway I caught another sheepshead and took a proper picture this time

I also caught my first river walleye, and probably my smallest walleye ever

The one other walleye I've caught so far. I can't take phone pics for poo poo and the light was really dim... sorry

If I had caught more fish they'd be in this image. At least the parks surrounding the river are pretty! This place is also a dog park so I met like 20 dogs. hell yes

Added bonus- I found some morels in a different park

I'd also like to actually eat some fish, so if anyone has any pointers for clean lakes/streams with good shore access near the twin cities I'm all ears. Or if you want to take me on your boat that's cool too. I don't mind the implication