Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Luminous Cow posted:

Does anyone know if Black Ark replenishment stacks?

If your talking about itself, it does very slowly outside of storms and full speed ahead mode. I found if it was in a safe spot it was a good time to merge and disband units. Black arks don't have loyalty so you can kick as many units as you want out of them.

Oh I get if your asking if you have two. I never noticed near the end of the game when I had two. They are stupidly expensive to field. It took me quite awhile to be able to even use two because you gotta keep them loaded with units or some random stack will just sink them. I lost two to the drat Sartosa pirates! The best thing they got is black dragons but they get countered by anti large which alot of the sides spam. Even fully loaded they are pretty weak because you can't make blackguards with them and corsairs do not come out ahead in the auto resolve game. You should only notice this when the dwarfs from the south islands decide they hate you or when the super elite stack of high elves is going around the ocean. I was using them mainly to follow two independent armies around. I think the stacks healed more by picking up the 15% replenishment from the blue tree after lightning strikes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

has anyone seen any of the AI skaven factions doing well for themselves? it feels like by turn 75 they've all been eliminated except the two big ones and they're usually dead last in the vortex progression

On both of my campaigns so far, Queek got crushed but Skrolk spiraled out of control once he started confederating the other clans. I was actually pretty annoyed that Kroq-Gar wiped out Clan Mors because the Skaven were no threat at all wrt the ritual, but when Pestilens took over they started to catapult ahead and began the final ritual before I could (though I did barely manage to sail down there and disrupt it in time).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rookersh posted:

Hey, Tyrion's madness will always be an issue, but Teclis got swole enough that he can lift his staff and jog now. He's probably ready to be Phoenix King.

e: Also it's really hard to understate just how loving powerful Teclis is. He's been compared to the likes of Caledor Dragontamer ( guy what made the Vortex ), and NAGASH.

Teclis is really loving intense.

I really want to see a teclis vs Lord Kroak. Or just Lord Kroak in general.

To explain who "The Venerable Lord Kroak" is, he is the last remaining first generation of Slann priests. He is also dead. Like he died during the big invasion of chaos, and yet he is still sort of around. You see when Slann "die" sometimes they can keep themselves together through sheer willpower. To put it in perspective Lord Kroak when he was alive was able to chew up and spit out greater demons, shatter continents and beat the ever loving hell out of philosophical concepts, he maintained a magic barrier around an entire city for years then fought for about a week when he had to collapse the barrier and even then it seemed to take a good dozen bloodthirsters to finally stop him. Now that he's dead he is not as powerful, but his spirit can still do things like "pop demons like flies" and "set fire to the undead if they approach him".

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited to see night goblin armies fight skaven armies and the lack of any sort of battle line

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mans posted:

Anyone noticed that in Queek's Warp Shard's Armor your artillery pieces are able to fire during Queek's speech?

It pretty much ends the battle as soon as it begins.

This is the Skavenest thing ever. I really love how they nailed the Skaven even if this is a glitch.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Alright, my lizardman hellwar is starting to turn around. I've secured Lustria (except for the other friendly lizardmen, who I'll confed when I'm good and ready, and the southern dwarves, who had better not loving try anything). I've mostly kicked the high elves out of the southlands, although the eastern dwarves have also declared war on me (they were allied to some roving band in the middle of the desert who wardecced me randomly). My two northernmost settlements were at one point besieged by FIVE dark elf stacks, but I've since been able to push them out, and go back up to three defensive stacks, which makes things easier. I've only completed three rituals, and I probably won't bother with the last two.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
In my Tyrion campaign I just started I started the second ritual and saw two Chaos puppet stacks spawned in Tiranoc. Fine, I'll intercept them with Tyrion in Caledor I thought - so I moved most of my stacks there. Then the rear end in a top hat Ellyrians let the two Chaos stack just wander in through the gate into the inner circle and I'm way outpositioned... almost failed this campaign with them razing multiple cities while I played catch-up

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Josef bugman posted:

I really want to see a teclis vs Lord Kroak. Or just Lord Kroak in general.

To explain who "The Venerable Lord Kroak" is, he is the last remaining first generation of Slann priests. He is also dead. Like he died during the big invasion of chaos, and yet he is still sort of around. You see when Slann "die" sometimes they can keep themselves together through sheer willpower. To put it in perspective Lord Kroak when he was alive was able to chew up and spit out greater demons, shatter continents and beat the ever loving hell out of philosophical concepts, he maintained a magic barrier around an entire city for years then fought for about a week when he had to collapse the barrier and even then it seemed to take a good dozen bloodthirsters to finally stop him. Now that he's dead he is not as powerful, but his spirit can still do things like "pop demons like flies" and "set fire to the undead if they approach him".

One of the few really good moments in End Times was Kroak casually ressurecting himself from the dead during the last stand of Lustria, bringing the full brunt of his power to prevent the shattered shards of Morrseleb from crashing into the Warhammer World (the Skaven had blown it up, you see).

Also, like Thanquol, Kroak also inexplicably survived into Age of Sigmar, tho ablit dead again. His prestigious might can create and maintain entire armies of Lizardmen Seraphon with a thought, something that takes at least a good dozen Slaan to pull off.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Descar posted:

Rogue armies are crazy, seems to be random 3-4 mid-high tier units

Just met 8 rank 9 black Orcs with 8 Mortars lol, against my mostly infantry high elves. Poor elfs didn't know what hit them.

So they made the Orc army from Grunts!?!

quote:

The story follows a group of orcs who always find themselves on the front lines of battle against the carefully prepared and always triumphant forces of good. The orcs decided to organize themselves and fight back. As a satire of high fantasy the novel mocks most of the conventions of the genre from using traditional villainous races, orcs, as the protagonists, to having the noble characters have much less than noble motivations and secrets.

The opening of the book plays up the orc warleader sent to reclaim a weapons cache in preparation for the 'Last Battle' between good and evil, which is well on its way. They are assisted by a pair of halflings whose cute demeanor is contrasted with extremely violent acts.

The orcs uncover a dragon's hoard of modern military weaponry, which is endowed with a geas that transforms their minds into replicas of the stereotypical United States Marine Corps mindset, during the Vietnam War. Gentle continues the storyline through the Last Battle and the orcs' integration into society, along with a military threat that rivals the orcs themselves.

They go into the big battle with M16s and Mortor's but get defeated by halflings casting a level 1 "fail weapons" spell. Later on, they fight not-Tryanid's.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 2, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

One of the few really good moments in End Times was Kroak casually ressurecting himself from the dead during the last stand of Lustria, bringing the full brunt of his power to prevent the shattered shards of Morrseleb from crashing into the Warhammer World (the Skaven had blown it up, you see).

Also, like Thanquol, Kroak also inexplicably survived into Age of Sigmar, tho ablit dead again. His prestigious might can create and maintain entire armies of Lizardmen Seraphon with a thought, something that takes at least a good dozen Slaan to pull off.

Even in the terribleness that is the end times Kroak comes out of it looking cool.

That and I want some of the joke lizardmen names to come back. I mean who doesn't like Itzi Bitzi.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Josef bugman posted:

Even in the terribleness that is the end times Kroak comes out of it looking cool.

What other good things were that happened in the End Times? Were they any?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
-Vlad came back, everyone took turns slapping Manfred around.
-Grimgor got to headbutt the Everedgelord again.
-Settra.
-The Skaven buffed up the Far-Squeaker, somehow managed to bend space-time and accidentally contacted the Eldar from 40k. They promptly freaked out at the prospect of Elves on other worlds and filled the machine full of Ratling Gun fire.
-Malakith finally moved out of Mom's basement, sent Mom to the Shadow Realm.
-Settra
-Skaven blew up the moon intentionally, even the Chaos Gods were a little freaked out by this.
-Throgg backhanded Sigvald to death, pissed on his corpse to stop him from getting up.
-SETTRA DOES NOT KNEEL, SETTRA RULES *cuts Kholek Suneater in half, dives into the Realm of Chaos*

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SteelMentor posted:

-Grimgor got to headbutt the Everedgelord again.

I thought Archaon chumped Grimgor in End Times because GW were still sore over Orc players loving up Storm of Chaos for them (which lead to the original headbutting).

Like, I got the impression that a lot of The End Times was basically GW calling a mulligan on Storm of Chaos only without the pesky players having any say this time around.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought Archaon chumped Grimgor in End Times because GW were still sore over Orc players loving up Storm of Chaos for them (which lead to the original headbutting).

Like, I got the impression that a lot of The End Times was basically GW calling a mulligan on Storm of Chaos only without the pesky players having any say this time around.

True, but Grimgor still got the headbutt in first so he still won. He wuz da best :911:.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

It was GW throwing a giant tantrum because their favorite side didn't win in storm of chaos. From what I remember it stemmed from GW spitting all the factions up into Order or Destruction teams (With a few wildcards, like ogres.) and assuming orc players would happily be subservient to chaos and writing the initial fluff as such.

Orc players were not happy and en masse reported their victories for Order. This resulted in an overwhelming landslide victory for Order and GW grudgingly accepted the result, having learned in an earlier meta-campaign* not to ignore the results they got from players.

(*The earlier campaign had, by battle results, the empire holding chaos at some insignificant town waaaaay longer than expected. In the final writeup GW ignored this and said that chaos overran the town in like an hour, this enraged both sides of the campaign who rightfully felt that GW had just written up a thing beforehand how they thought the campaign would go and essentially ignored all the reported battles.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Carcer posted:

It was GW throwing a giant tantrum because their favorite side didn't win in storm of chaos. From what I remember it stemmed from GW spitting all the factions up into Order or Destruction teams (With a few wildcards, like ogres.) and assuming orc players would happily be subservient to chaos and writing the initial fluff as such.

Orc players were not happy and en masse reported their victories for Order. This resulted in an overwhelming landslide victory for Order and GW grudgingly accepted the result, having learned in an earlier meta-campaign* not to ignore the results they got from players.

(*The earlier campaign had, by battle results, the empire holding chaos at some insignificant town waaaaay longer than expected. In the final writeup GW ignored this and said that chaos overran the town in like an hour, this enraged both sides of the campaign who rightfully felt that GW had just written up a thing beforehand how they thought the campaign would go and essentially ignored all the reported battles.)

The town was Bohsenfels. It held out for pretty much the entire 8 week campaign and at one point GW just said "we are going to have the chaos forces move past it, because they just keep getting merked there".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 2, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I feel like my Lizardmen have their work cut out for them uncorrupting these old Skaven settlements they took over. They all have names like 'The Scrag Hole' which is pretty fuckkin apt.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I'm having a hard time getting momentum in my Mazdamundi campaign. I kind of want to claim all of the south jungle just for economic purposes, but leaving the Delves up north alone has cost me in my last game. They were the first to get a ritual done, and all delf factions ended up with a hateboner for me. I think I went for a second army too fast and the upkeep is what necked me.

Any tips for earlygame Mazdamundi?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of the meta-game in general how do you all usually proceed with armies? I made a second one fairly early on because of paranoia but also because I wanted those sweet sea treasures. It's a big drain on cash though.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
What does Vaul's Hammer actually do? I used it on some enemy ladders during a siege thinking it would knock them over or something, but there was just a flash of light and that was it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I thought I'd see what happens if you don't fight the Final Battle and ... nothing. You just have to do the last ritual again. I was promised the end of the world god dammit!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pierson posted:

Speaking of the meta-game in general how do you all usually proceed with armies? I made a second one fairly early on because of paranoia but also because I wanted those sweet sea treasures. It's a big drain on cash though.

It's rough but yeah, a second Lord is usually a good bet just for picking up sea treasure. When money's tight, a single Lord sitting in a settlement is usually a good boost to its autoresolve chances, and if needed, you can always emergency-recruit a couple of units to bolster the garrison.

I usually start outfitting for real when I have a surplus from kitting out your Legendary Lord with an army that can beat most enemies. My metric for that is basically "can beat both infantry and large targets, can chase down skirmishers". For example, Kroq-gar is good to go with just 6 Saurus Warriors and 6 Cold One Spear Riders, and surplus money goes to a secondary lord until he can start venturing out on his own too.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

What does Vaul's Hammer actually do? I used it on some enemy ladders during a siege thinking it would knock them over or something, but there was just a flash of light and that was it.

On a siege attack it instantly blows up a wall section. Maybe it only works against towers and rams when defending?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Drunk in Space posted:

If you're on defense, use it on siege towers to one-shot them. If you're attacking, use it on a unit on a destructible wall section to one-shot the wall and take a good chunk of the unit with it. It's pretty dumb in that you have to target the unit, not the wall section. If the unit flag is over an indestructible section of wall it does nothing. If there's no unit flag on the section you want to blow up then you're poo poo out of luck

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What yellow line abilities are people finding most helpful for Fight Lords like Kroq-Gar or Tyrion? Weapon Strength and armor?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Small and Blue posted:

On a siege attack it instantly blows up a wall section. Maybe it only works against towers and rams when defending?

Not just siege attacks. The AI used it on a siege defense to nuke a wall where a handful of their lovely troops were getting butchered by 2 units of my Black Guards :(

Was pretty surprised that they were smart enough to trade their wall section and some of their own dudes for my much more valuable infantry.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So, a small but noticeable bit of what might be foreshadowing for future DLC: the New World Colonies have "Estallian Docks" as their port structures.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Didn't estalia, tilea and middenhiem have unique temple buildings in TW:W1? I wouldn't read too much into it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, I have taken Queek's New Model Army for a spin and I am very happy with the results. 8 gold-rank Clanrats (half sword, half spear) form the meaty core, 4 Gutter Runner Slingers (with poison) form the skirmishing vanguard, 2 Warpfire Throwers and 4 Warp Lightning Cannons form the technological murder-fist.

With skill and tech upgrades, your skirmishers can run ahead and slow down the enemy formation with their poison shots; pursuers get savaged by lightning fire. Once they're dead, monstrous creatures are the next target, and 4 units of cannon fire make short work of them. As a bonus, you can be dropping rat summons right in front of them approaching enemy the entire time, delaying and exposing them to more cannon fire since the AI doesn't understand the concept of distraction units when used against them.

Glad I didn't take Rat Ogres as my flankers now. Skyre is just too good, sorry Moulder. Kroq-gar's near, time to see if his Saurus horde will stand up to warcrimes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

The town was Bohsenfels. It held out for pretty much the entire 8 week campaign and at one point GW just said "we are going to have the chaos forces move past it, because they just keep getting merked there".

And the town holding out was written into the story, Archaon executes the dude leading the tzeentch forces and orders them to bypass it, leaving it under token siege.

Storm of Chaos happened exactly like everyone expected, an indecisive battle where all the army book characters survive. The plucky nerds giving the finger to GW’s chaos-partisan writing team is impotent nerd rage mythologized a decade on.

The real issue is you could sign up for either side with any army, or be neutral if you were orcs. This meant pitting two factions worth of chaos players against almost everyone else. It was a poorly designed campaign. Idfk where the idea that GW loves wanking it to Archaon and were oh-so-salty that he lost came from. We all knew he would always lose until they wanted to blow up the world.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 2, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Josef bugman posted:

It's hilarious, as someone who has done a lot of time with the RPG and its rulebooks, how many times they try to go 'Archaon was a strategic genius for understanding the need for haste and leaving all these fortified positions at his back to bypass them. Incidentally, he was hurt really badly during the war by getting hit in the back by angry Kislevites and poo poo all the time. THESE ARE NOT RELATED DAMNIT.'

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Man, it's such a crying shame that Lord Skrolk doesn't get the mount with the giant bell on it. I hope we can get mods ASAP.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My economy runs on sea trash. It's a bit broken but I'm okay with it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dongattack posted:

Man, it's such a crying shame that Lord Skrolk doesn't get the mount with the giant bell on it. I hope we can get mods ASAP.

I'm not far into my skaven campaign and was expecting a screaming bell and I'm sad I won't get it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So in some of the mods from the first game, certain naval factions would get a bonus to auto resolving in the sea and I kinda want units like the corsair or artillery pieces to have a bonus.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
skrolk doesn't get a screaming bell because that's a grey seer thing and he isn't a grey seer

that being said he also doesn't get a plague furnace and that's dumb

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does anyone else have a Malekith that makes the dark elf campaign unplayable by yelling RARRR RARRR RARRR RARRR non stop?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JBP posted:

Does anyone else have a Malekith that makes the dark elf campaign unplayable by yelling RARRR RARRR RARRR RARRR non stop?

I HATE THE COLD

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

gonadic io posted:

I HATE THE COLD

He complains about this abominable snow. It's an abominable snowman joke, you see.

Speaking of irritating Dark Elf things, am I the only one who got an absolutely absurd amount of Elfservant followers? I'd usually get at least 1 per turn, sometimes up to 4. Malekith just can't get enough Elfservants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I expected to like lizardmen the least but they're growing on me. I started as the fat frog but I don't really use him beyond garrisoning the main area, putting down rebellions and all that. My main army is a Saurus on a carnosaur, with two scar veterans on carnosaurs, like 14 saurus warriors/temple guard, and some token cavalry/monsters for dealing with archers. It's fun to have the saurus warriors pin down the enemy line and then smash into it with three dudes on t-rexes. My biggest regret is that I cannot recruit more scar veterans at the moment.