Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think he meant from this thread. :P I wish I could go! Celebration will probably be where we get the Episode 9 trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hope so. I'm feeling a little withdrawl without some Star Wars film to go see this holiday season

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I said come in! posted:

I think he meant from this thread. :P I wish I could go! Celebration will probably be where we get the Episode 9 trailer.

Non-Entity god drat well knows what I'm talking about.

Bilirubin posted:

Hope so. I'm feeling a little withdrawl without some Star Wars film to go see this holiday season

Why not just stick a rusty nail up your urethra to replicate the Last Jedi experience?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You son of a bitch! The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Awww how sad that you've only seen one Star Wars film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've seen them all and love them all like a true Star Wars fan. :colbert:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I said come in! posted:

I wouldn't call it a bad film, but let's be honest here, it's very uneven across the board and schizophrenically torn between rehashing the OT and tearing it all down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Wars.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I thought it was enjoyable, but it had it's flaws and certainly isn't my favorite SW film. And even if I DID hate it, I sure wouldn't admit that since the most vocal haters of it are some of the worst people on the internet.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

Why not just stick a rusty nail up your urethra to replicate the Last Jedi experience?

:goonsay:

Eltoasto posted:

I thought it was enjoyable, but it had it's flaws and certainly isn't my favorite SW film. And even if I DID hate it, I sure wouldn't admit that since the most vocal haters of it are some of the worst people on the internet.

:drat:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

I was just upset because I expected so much more out of Rian Johnson. I'm a huge fan of his other movies.

No one will ever convince me Super Leia was an acceptable thing to do in that movie.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

I was just upset because I expected so much more out of Rian Johnson. I'm a huge fan of his other movies.

No one will ever convince me Super Leia was an acceptable thing to do in that movie.

In retrospect, killing her then would have solved whatever problems are going to make you hate the next movie even more

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Oh man, I had completely forgot about that. I think the astounding clumsiness of "It's salt!" was worse, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Oh man, I had completely forgot about that. I think the astounding clumsiness of "It's salt!" was worse, though.

Let's not forget about the space jihad of flying a space ship into other ships, which if it was an actual viable way of attacking, why wouldn't they develop unmanned ship-missiles controlled by droids to attack all the huge ships?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Medullah posted:

TBH I didn't even catch Superleia when it happened. My eyes just sorta censored that whole thing to the point where I thought they must have done a Force Unleashed thing off screen where a droid or something picked her up and superscienced her back to life. It would have been cool if we'd gotten Force wielding Leia though. Just have her brush off some Stormtroopers like Yoda or something to establish that yes, this is not a one off thing, the General has been getting Force-swole in her old age.

Eltoasto posted:

This, basically. I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing, but even if I did hate it, I'd white knight it just to spite the rest of the internet.

edit:

Medullah posted:

Let's not forget about the space jihad of flying a space ship into other ships, which if it was an actual viable way of attacking, why wouldn't they develop unmanned ship-missiles controlled by droids to attack all the huge ships?

Honestly, who is going to waste a hyperdrive to create a sup----

Ok, I get it. Why has no one come up with hyperdrive superweapons yet? But also, it seems like the effort spent to do lightspeed 9/11 on your enemies just doesn't square with the end result.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 10, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eltoasto posted:

And even if I DID hate it, I sure wouldn't admit that since the most vocal haters of it are some of the worst people on the internet.

This is really sad.

You shouldn't let social pressure dictate what movies you can admit to liking/disliking.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sassassin posted:

This is really sad.

You shouldn't let social pressure dictate what movies you can admit to liking/disliking.

Eh, there's a difference between discussing a movie's flaws over beers with friends, and your voice being added to the chorus of incels mad about wimmin in their Star Wars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

Why don't we develop unmanned planes to smash into enemy bases at supersonic speeds?

Because it's loving expensive.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

That I don't mind too much, because it's basically established in the very first hyperspace scene ever that you don't want to collide with anything big while in hyperspace (or outside hyperspace I suppose, but that's beside the point). Also, physics and strategy were never Star Wars' strongest points.

That being said, the cannon fire (pelting the Resistance ships during the interminable chase sequence) arcing as if it were taking place at sea is indefensible as far as I'm concerned.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Warmachine posted:

Eh, there's a difference between discussing a movie's flaws over beers with friends, and your voice being added to the chorus of incels mad about wimmin in their Star Wars.

Well maybe don't focus your criticism on how much you hate women, then.

You can have an opinion without joining a particular chorus you're worried about. Stand firm in your beliefs about Star Wars. Be loud and proud.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Why don't we develop unmanned planes to smash into enemy bases at supersonic speeds?

Because it's loving expensive.

I mean, I get that - but take one ship and aim it at the Emperor's Star Destroyer when you know he's there, and how much money do you save overall? In real world physics there's a defense for the plane theory, in Star Wars land unless they have a gravity well or whatever the thing is, there's no defense for hyperspace missile.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Medullah posted:

I mean, I get that - but take one ship and aim it at the Emperor's Star Destroyer when you know he's there, and how much money do you save overall? In real world physics there's a defense for the plane theory, in Star Wars land unless they have a gravity well or whatever the thing is, there's no defense for hyperspace missile.
i like the one where the teddy bears win the space war

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

sassassin posted:

This is really sad.

Oh it's not social pressure

I really loving hate them personally, and my disgust of agreeing with them on something would be self made.

But that said, I was honest when I said it was enjoyable. It was a star wars movie, it had flashy scenes and emotional stuff and some goofy poo poo and provided lots of toys to sell to kids.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

"I might agree with people I don't like" and its corollary, "this disagrees with people I don't like" are pretty silly reasons to have/not have opinions. But whatever, if you want to have dumb opinions that's your choice :downs:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A lot of the time I just won't share an opinion I have on the internet because I know it'll result in a gigantic shitfest that I just don't have the mental energy to deal with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

A lot of the time I just won't share an opinion I have on the internet because I know it'll result in a gigantic shitfest that I just don't have the mental energy to deal with.

That's the beauty of the internet, you don't have to deal with it you can just post and go do something else.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

it was badass tho

like even if you don't agree with the greater implications of it the cinematography and sound design were on fukken point for that moment

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Medullah is right, it's a fuckin terrible movie.

Luke Skywalker deserved better than a character assassination and to die straining on the force toilet Elvis-style.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hard disagree. It was actually a really cool movie and Luke Skywalker had a much more interesting arc than if he had just been some super awesome dude chopping everything up.

e: I like The Last Jedi and Star Trek: Discovery, I might just be bad at being a sci fi fan.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 11, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So in actual SWTOR news, a major content drop hits tomorrow. A planet with a level 70 storyline, daily area, world bosses, datacrons, etc. It's not an expansion so you SHOULD be able to play it as long as you have a level 70 character.

The story is a return to Sith vs Jedi, now that the Knights of the XX stories are completed and you defeated your evil spaceship. Most people think this is setting up a major expansion next year.

New patch also introduces two new tier of raid gear which is going to be retarded to get so don't even bother unless you're an endgame raider or want to do PvP at all. It's really bad, like, hope you like the new planet because it means you'll be doing it over and over and over again.

It also introduces Guild experience and the ability to buy perks for the guild, which I'll take a look at and see if our dead gay guild can actually use any of.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

oh god I'm going to have to relearn how to play my space girls and guy again

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Sounds like we need a swtorplayers.txt thread

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

So in actual SWTOR news, a major content drop hits tomorrow. A planet with a level 70 storyline, daily area, world bosses, datacrons, etc. It's not an expansion so you SHOULD be able to play it as long as you have a level 70 character.

The story is a return to Sith vs Jedi, now that the Knights of the XX stories are completed and you defeated your evil spaceship. Most people think this is setting up a major expansion next year.

New patch also introduces two new tier of raid gear which is going to be retarded to get so don't even bother unless you're an endgame raider or want to do PvP at all. It's really bad, like, hope you like the new planet because it means you'll be doing it over and over and over again.

It also introduces Guild experience and the ability to buy perks for the guild, which I'll take a look at and see if our dead gay guild can actually use any of.

Speaking of rusty nails and genitalia...

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Also Life Day starts today and there'll be double rewards from Dec 20th: http://dulfy.net/2018/12/02/swtor-life-day-starts-dec-11-double-rewards-dec-20/

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Well then I guess instead of relearning how to play my existing characters I'll just level a new one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There’s a lot of stuff in Star Wars that doesn’t make sense science wise because it is a children’s movie about evil space wizards

THAT SAID, the whole conceit of “when we run out of fuel the empire will catch us” is dumb because there’s no gravity in space and once you build up to your desired speed you can drift forever

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

Sounds like we need a swtorplayers.txt thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s a lot of stuff in Star Wars that doesn’t make sense science wise because it is a children’s movie about evil space wizards

THAT SAID, the whole conceit of “when we run out of fuel the empire will catch us” is dumb because there’s no gravity in space and once you build up to your desired speed you can drift forever

This was the only thing that bothered me about the Last Jedi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ships in Star Wars have never followed the rules of physics in space.

In the very first movie nearly every move the ships make is impossible with only rear propulsion. Throughout the movies ships decelerate or even stop without reverse thrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Ships in Star Wars have never followed the rules of physics in space.

In the very first movie nearly every move the ships make is impossible with only rear propulsion. Throughout the movies ships decelerate or even stop without reverse thrust.

I know but in TLJ they called attention to it as a plot point and oh gently caress now I’m doing this this isn’t what I wanted