Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

creatine posted:

More fps = smoother game and less input lag. My CS runs at 200+ and it's great

I typically run at 150-180 at 1920x1080 but that's because I currently have a trash mobo+cpu :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

stump collector posted:

my fps also have gone down by an average of 25-100 on several maps in the last 3months

Me too

I'm not happy about it... The latest sound update brought started giving me noticeable stutters

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I typically run at 150-180 at 1920x1080 but that's because I currently have a trash mobo+cpu :)
60-80 at 1920x1080

Ask me about playing in hell :shepicide:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

DM runs shittier than 5v5 by nature of having a bunch more people in it but I'd wager you've got some driver crapware or something eating a whack of CPU time.

Or maybe you turned multicore rendering off as well in the graphics settings?

yeah but i get 130-170 fps on the newer maps as well in 5v5, so...its all hosed considering i have a pc that is great for every other game i play

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Try snd_rebuildaudiocache if you're having FPS problems.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
What's the recommendation for playing the hardest 2v5 humans v bots game possible? Like are there settings to make them actually difficult? Interested in some practice when my internet is poo poo which isn't the usual aim and prefire maps.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
can I just say that solo is the worst poo poo ever. Just got kicked from my team after leading kills and ending up wining a 1v3 clutch on 16th round. Got I hate kids and I don't have enough friends to que with.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Probably obvious question: There's no way that one of these types of devices would be compatible with CS for spectator purposes, right? It's essentially a 3 dimensional mouse/trackpad/nub for smoother camera manipulation in three dimensions.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^^^ I don't see why you wouldn't be able to map whatever values that thing produces to something usable in the game. The engine even has gamepad support to an extent. You'd likely have to use some sort of middleware to remap whatever. Do you have a link to what it actually is? That would be helpful

BIG NORTH posted:

i'd love to see someone run the min requirement specs and see what kind of FPS they get on basic maps. I have a really solid build (i7 4770k, 1060 GTX 6GB, 16GB RAM, etc.) and I struggle to pull 200fps on 4:3 everything on low.

Try running this benchmark map and post your results

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfi...s/?id=500334237

(To turn off the FPS counter after use just type cl_showfps 0 in console)

I averaged about 219 FPS @ 1080p max everything. Minimum was low 40's in the first smoke, maximum was always over 1000.

2600k@4.6Ghz (Corsair H80), Sapphire Tri-X Fury OC 4GB, 4x4GB DDR3-1333mhz, 850 Evo SSD, freesync enabled, xmp enabled, hpet enabled

Edit: HRTF sound on/off made very little difference in framerate for me

As far as troubleshooting goes, do you have shadowplay or windows DVR enabled? What is your power supply rated for? Does it happen in other games??

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 30, 2016

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

New Zealand can eat me posted:

As far as troubleshooting goes, do you have shadowplay or windows DVR enabled? What is your power supply rated for? Does it happen in other games??

244 FPS Average @ all low & 4:3. Lowest point I saw was around 60 FPS.

Specs:

Win 10 64Bit
Intel i7 4770k 3.50 GHz
8 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
650W PSU

Windows DVR & Shadowplay are both off. I don't have this issue in any other games, BF1 runs like a dream and so does any other AAA game (or not) that I throw at it.

Don't get me wrong, I can definitely live with the stats I'm getting, it's just that in the last year I've dropped from getting a solid 250-300 FPS to what I'm at now, and it's pretty stupid.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

BIG NORTH posted:

244 FPS Average @ all low & 4:3. Lowest point I saw was around 60 FPS.

Specs:

Win 10 64Bit
Intel i7 4770k 3.50 GHz
8 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
650W PSU

Windows DVR & Shadowplay are both off. I don't have this issue in any other games, BF1 runs like a dream and so does any other AAA game (or not) that I throw at it.

Don't get me wrong, I can definitely live with the stats I'm getting, it's just that in the last year I've dropped from getting a solid 250-300 FPS to what I'm at now, and it's pretty stupid.

Why the hell are you only running 8GB of memory?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
guess it was expected but ex-dignitas is now confirmed to have been picked up by FC copenhagen

e:

also someone on reddit posted this which seems to work for some people
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/5l1qg9/possible_stutter_fix_for_some_nvidia_users/

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 30, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

It's probably the minimum you'd want for playing fancy modern games safely, but there's no chance it's bottlenecking CS:GO I wouldn't have thought.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I looked into upgrading it and pretty much discovered the common consensus was that 16gb wasn't going to make or break game performance. Am I wrong? :confused:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I had 7gb of mismatched frankenstein ram on my computer before it blew up but CS still ran fine.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BIG NORTH posted:

I looked into upgrading it and pretty much discovered the common consensus was that 16gb wasn't going to make or break game performance. Am I wrong? :confused:

That's what I heard as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I think his point was that RAM is cheap as gently caress, so why not have 16GB minimum in there?

RAM is not going to make or break your performance (most likely) but it depends what you're doing, 8GB SHOULD be enough. Do you leave your browser open with like 10 tabs? Do you have a bunch of other garbage running? That's going to chew through a lot of RAM and cause issues if you're playing a game. Your videocard is essentially highly specialized RAM that crunches numbers to turn into video, whereas normal RAM just does everything.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 30, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

None of the consoles of the current generation have more than 8gb ram, 16 is not necessary for gaming. Every game now is built to chew through vram anyway

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dex_sda posted:

None of the consoles of the current generation have more than 8gb ram, 16 is not necessary for gaming. Every game now is built to chew through vram anyway

Everybody point and laugh at this guy.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dex_sda posted:

Please don't compare console requirements to PC requirements, that's a bad way to look at things.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Bohemian Nights posted:

guess it was expected but ex-dignitas is now confirmed to have been picked up by FC copenhagen

e:

also someone on reddit posted this which seems to work for some people
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/5l1qg9/possible_stutter_fix_for_some_nvidia_users/

Regi said on that Thorin interview that the ex-Dignitas guys got $20k/mo salaries from FC Copenhagen. Talk about inflation :v:

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

Some leaked french superteam talk between KennyS' brother "Windz" and Ben Spoont (MisfitsGG) owner.

http://pastebin.com/MYRaTsBz

Translation is super lovely but you can get the gist of it (original was in french on reddit).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

dex_sda posted:

Considering the PS4 had to be upgraded mid-generation to be able to play modern games, I don't know if console specs are exactly what we should be looking at.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The reason his point is valid is that almost every demanding game released is cross platform, and primarily aimed at a console market first. And game devs have something like 4-5GB of RAM to work with for modern PS4/Xbone titles iirc. Even removing console restrictions, you don't need quadruple that to run a game smoothly. You won't start 'needing' 16gb of RAM for a year or two yet, but it's nice if you do a lot of stuff at once. Which plenty of us do.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
turning off the cache thing helped, thanks swift

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

BIG NORTH posted:

Unless you are running 4x2GB sticks to take full advantage of dual channel memory, and you are using the fastest memory that your motherboard/processor supports, you are leaving a bit on the table.

For Sandy/Ivy Bridge processors, anything faster than DDR3-1600 won't be of much benefit. With Haswell (like your 4770k), the sweet spot is supposedly DDR3-1866, which has tighter timings than 2200 or otherwise.

In either case, it's easy to find benchmarks that show swapping from 2x4GB DDR3-1333 up to 4x4GB DDR3-1866/2200+ is good for at least a 2-3% decrease in frame time. (Which with some lazy math would put you around 260fps)

The benefit is far more pronounced on the latest chipsets, with DDR4-3200 being the current max afaik.

I wouldn't say it's "make or break", but these little things, especially those that improve your frame time/minimum fps, end up being the difference between an occasional hiccup and consistent/reliable performance. Now that we actually have displays with <5ms latency and 1ms response times, there's actually a perceptible benefit to absurdly low frame times outside of higher numbers in a benchmark. People are even overclocking the polling rates on their mice to 2000+mhz, for <1ms response times. Blurbusters has a pretty informative writeup on all of it if you're interested

All of this said, it's entirely more likely that you're just a filthy goon (or a normal human that accrues dust). Before you get drunk tonight, take most of your tower apart, unplug/reseat your gpu/ram, clean your fan filters and blow everything else out with canned air. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes.

I'm not specifically accusing you of not cleaning, it's just that average framerates have actually gone up for most people over 2016 (a combination of csgo and driver improvements), and this is the only other realistic thing I could imagine that would actually be causing these issues.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

thanks for taking the time to post all this info for me. I'll clean first and see how much of a difference that makes.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Looks like ESEA got hacked. Hope you don't re-use passwords or security question answers!

https://play.esea.net/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=14932

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's bcrypt though so assuming they're not doing something pants-on-head retarded like using an empty salt those things would be a bitch and a half to crack. Like, it's not impossible, but it's been described as "computationally infeasible".

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
All your ESEA passwords are belong to me

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

It's bcrypt though so assuming they're not doing something pants-on-head retarded like using an empty salt those things would be a bitch and a half to crack. Like, it's not impossible, but it's been described as "computationally infeasible".

Always assume people are retarded, especially in situations like this.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Oh no doubt, but if they gained that much access what's not to say they changed the code responsible for doing so, so that every time a password is hashed, an empty salt version is saved for exfiltration later?

I wonder what kind of shakedowns you could get away with if you could correlate enough emails/passwords with cheat subscriptions. BTC is at an all time high... can't imagine what other value they'd be going after here.

MF_James posted:

Always assume people are retarded, especially in situations like this.

Always this

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I always see the steam group notification for more goonmans but how am I actually supposed to join games? Matchmaking with randos is cancer and I can't stand another round with morons.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

More importantly there's a steam group??

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
There's two, even

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

but really they're all in discord making racist jokes

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goofballs posted:

but really they're all in discord making racist jokes

excuse me, "brazilian" is not a race and therefore calling fallen a stupid favela is not racist

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I always see the steam group notification for more goonmans but how am I actually supposed to join games? Matchmaking with randos is cancer and I can't stand another round with morons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635620

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Ah jeez

How do I stop this mp addiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Xenaero posted:

Ah jeez

How do I stop this mp addiction

if playing goonmans won't stop you, nothing will.