Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Harveygod posted:

"I carried this printer through the entire Delta quadrant for you."
This is still cracking me up.

Really it should have been Harry carrying that printer. Paris was a pretty smooth dude right? I didn't watch all of Voyager but the bits I saw he was confident and not a dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I had a legit milf crush on Kate Mulgrew when Voyager originally aired. She... did not age gracefully. Still nowhere as bad as Kes, though.

Kate Mulgrew is actually still looking good.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I have a GILF Fetish.

fixed that one for you ensign.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Space Crabs posted:

fixed that one for you ensign.

One stripe on the sleeve means Lieutenant Moose to you, mister!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i started watching star trek for the first time ever recently. i'd seen some of the movies before this, but never the tv series. i started up Deep Space 9 because of this thread and it's really good. i'm most of the way through it now and just wanted to say that Morn is the best character on the show. well, thank you, Voyager thread, for getting me to watch DS9!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

i started watching star trek for the first time ever recently. i'd seen some of the movies before this, but never the tv series. i started up Deep Space 9 because of this thread and it's really good. i'm most of the way through it now and just wanted to say that Morn is the best character on the show. well, thank you, Voyager thread, for getting me to watch DS9!

TNG is also good (eventually).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
TNG is a good DS9 prequel.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Morn ran into the promenade and shouted out!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

TNG is a good DS9 prequel.

It would only be a prequel if it were made afterwards.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harveygod posted:

"I carried this printer through the entire Delta quadrant for you."

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

well why not posted:

'Planet Pacific Northwest and sometime the desert but only like once or twice a season'.

Film Canada: The west coast isn't covered by snow for over half the year

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

There is like a tenth of the Shatner love in this this thread that the man deserves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g4Dumz0BeI

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Strongly disagree. Shat is over-celebrated. in this thread we remedy that by our love of the Sisko and his Spock, our Garak.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shadow puppet of a posted:

Strongly disagree. Shat is over-celebrated. in this thread we remedy that by our love of the Sisko and his Spock, our Garak.

Murdering the Romulan ambassador was the only logical course of action, Captain.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Murdering the Romulan ambassador was the only logical course of action, Captain.

*puffs out his chest to shuck a back-alley oyster in a halting, over-dramatized manner*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PostNouveau posted:

TNG is also good (eventually).

i watched the first few seasons. had to take a break. i will keep watching because it sounds like it gets better.

Worf's son is back in DS9 at the moment. he is clumsy as gently caress. at first i thought Worf was just being a lovely father all over again, but goddamn, is Alexander bumbling.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, Martok is good. I'm glad he's not a shape-shifter anymore.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one, or the few.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_WMSqZDUkM

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sometimes being a hologram can be a real pain in the asometric photons.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Quark actually gives a poo poo about Nog, not because of profit or alien nonsense reasons, he honestly cares, and that's a real relationship in Star Trek which is often lacking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Quark actually gives a poo poo about Nog, not because of profit or alien nonsense reasons, he honestly cares, and that's a real relationship in Star Trek which is often lacking.

Part of what made TNG and DS9 good was the characters actually did stuff together beyond that season's Holodeck program of choice. The bridge crew of TNG got together to talk poo poo and play poker once a week, for example. Or just a couple of characters chatting in Quark's bar while Bashir and O'Brien are leaving the holodeck in the background after participating in a historical battle, because they're doing their own thing to fill scenery in passing.

Can you name anything Voyager's crew willingly did together outside of the Holodeck?

Kadeskot doesn't count, as Seven does not understand the concept of fun. Oh, wait, this episode she has regular sessions of it with Naomi, to attempt to enjoy herself more often.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It seemed like everyone on Voyager read Flotter holonovels :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blind Sally posted:

It seemed like everyone on Voyager read Flotter holonovels :shrug:

Okay, credit where it's due, I actually thought that was pretty decent with the offhand stuff like "Oh I remember this one; I flooded the entire valley by accident :yaycloud:".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If I was a Voyager crewman I'd basically be doing my duties as shittily as I could get away with then retiring to my room to smoke some replicated hydro. Essentially any thing I could do to stay away from the senior staff or any controversy.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

If I was a Voyager crewman I'd basically be doing my duties as shittily as I could get away with then retiring to my room to smoke some replicated hydro. Essentially any thing I could do to stay away from the senior staff or any controversy.

was it Voyager or TNG that specifically had an episode about people hiding out? I want to say it was voyager and Janeway callled them out, but also TNG had the night crew one

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I have to do this job and see these people for the rest of my natural life??? Guess I'm just going to smoke huge amounts of weed and read books in my room.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I have to do this job and see these people for the rest of my natural life??? Guess I'm just going to smoke huge amounts of weed and read books in my room.
:same:

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Real talk Sisko's "And I can live with it" monologue at the end of that episode is one of my favourite scenes in Trek

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

At some point, even a casual Star Trek fan is going to have to interact with Star Trek fans. And yes, a good portion are Aatrek types. But the vast majority are shitlords who simply do not get why "It's Only a Paper Moon" is a good episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The majority of SA Trek fans are so completely atypical from your average Trekkie that they may as well belong to a different fandom entirely.

And there's nothing wrong with that. :getin:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Back in 2007-2010 i had a bible study group that more or less comprised 50% trekkies. They were pretty normal people.

I haven't met any stereotypical trekkies, overweight, encyclopedic knowledge of every series except the best one, DS9, stares at children too long while panting and mouth breathing. none of it. they were all fit devoutly christian in heteronormative, abstinence-until-marraige relationships with partners in an appropriate age range.

Basically they shouldn't have existed.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
The Ascent is an episode of ds9 that really shines through for me as one of the best episodes of star trek. I watched voyager before ds9 and it almost soured the rest of star trek entirely.

In this ep quark and odo get stranded in northern california planet and have to make it to the top of a mountain to get good enough reception to send an sos. They have almost no food and it's super cold and a huge hike. What i love about the ep is that they actually do the whole drat hike. No stupid loving deus ex machina where someone looks at a rock while saying "im cold" and accidentally remembers his high school quantum physics particle class where u can use cold fusion to something something ejaculate into the subspace band and send a message through the whatever whatever.

They just hike, give up, and keep hiking again. of course because the writing is actually good they each use their own method of motivation to climb the mountain true to their characters. odo attempts to shame quark by comparing him to other members of the station, and quark reminds himself his brother will get the bar if he dies and nobody will find his body. quark doesnt want to leave odo behind but won't admit it because it's not the ferengi way. but they keep each other sharp and alert on DS9 and respect or even like each other under the surface.

Also the actor who plays quark is a good actor. he hits his marks, understands timing, and is funny too. i love that noise he makes when the brother of the klingon he accidentally kills pushes him up against a wall and says "keplah!". quark just makes a noise half mocking him half appeasing him. it's subtle and funny.

also lol at "cremate me and put me in my bucket and blast me into the wormhole" u can hear the self-loathing when he says "bucket". show's good.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 14, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shimmerman is a solid actor in everything he is cast in. He was great in Buffy and he is a stellar voice actor. He is in Ratchet and Clank and Bioshock

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Apollodorus posted:

It would only be a prequel if it were made afterwards.

TNG exists to give DS9 some context. It's a prequel to me.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I always enjoyed episodes that were somehow based around Quark, he's a great character. I think the character I liked the least was Jadzia because it was always Trill this, Trill that with her.

E: Well Curzon used to..

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 14, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ill say it again. Jadzia has some of the best episodes. The ones that deal with Curzon are good. Running off to settle a Klingon blood feud? I can't hate that. Jadzia and Worf? Also good. Every thing about trill society was just the worst though. The absolute worst. Every non jadzia/ezri Trill was a damned one dimensional tightass and the culture is centered around trying to join with a symbiont. ZzzzzZzZZzz

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Arjun the Trill initiate should have been thrown out an airlock.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Grad School Planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

thehandtruck posted:

also lol at "cremate me and put me in my bucket and blast me into the wormhole" u can hear the self-loathing when he says "bucket". show's good.

How do you cremate a liquid