Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I got mine by setting up IFTTT to give me an SMS when a new Miata hardtop was posted, and then called the guy within five minutes of posting the ad and sent a deposit through my bank while waiting for my morning coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I've seen several sub $800 ones locally. Don't know why they are being posted so low here. Mine was listed for $700 when I called the guy and said I'd come get it over lunch, he offered to knock $50 off the price. I was confused but happy.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Hardtop chat: Has anyone ever seen an NC with a hardtop (not counting the PRHT)? I looked at some old literature and saw it was offered, but I've never seen one in the wild. I'll see the occasional clapped out NA or NB with a hardtop, but never an NC. I guess the folks who would have ponied up for one ended up waiting for the 2008 PRHT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Taco Box posted:

Hardtop chat: Has anyone ever seen an NC with a hardtop (not counting the PRHT)? I looked at some old literature and saw it was offered, but I've never seen one in the wild. I'll see the occasional clapped out NA or NB with a hardtop, but never an NC. I guess the folks who would have ponied up for one ended up waiting for the 2008 PRHT

I've seen pics but never one in person.

Then there's this beauty that never made it to market.

http://www.roadster-nc.com/2013/08/fastback-hardtop.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taco Box posted:

When I worked in parts for a Mazda dealer we got them in quite a bit, and sent a lot back because they packed them lovely so the paint would get hosed up. They are pretty much the same as NA/NB hard tops, not a whole lot of difference iirc.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
They're definitely out there. Dunno where you can buy one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've seen a handful around NC. The Continental Tire MX5s run them.

The hardtop from Mazdaspeed is about 2.2k. Can't remember if that's with or without shipping; list is 3500 or so.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

poxin posted:

I believe anytime you replace the stock unit you would need a steering wheel control adapter as well. Unless there are headunits that have that built in?

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1-Universal-Steering-Interface/dp/B00B4PJC9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432221397&sr=8-1&keywords=aswc-1 and haven't had an issue.

Seconding the Axxess, I have one in my Jeep and it works great. Very easy to set up, it autodetects most cars and head units.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!
For anyone who hasn't replaced that stupid water plug on the back of their 1.6, do it now. It's easier with the CAS out, so replace the CAS o-ring while you're in there.

Or, don't replace the stupid plug and get stranded as it pisses coolant out after disintegrating.

:argh:

GP035 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 24, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Are there ramps that work well with the NA? Would be nice to have some for oil changes/inspections so I don't have to subject my 25 year old jack points to any undue stress.

G Money posted:

For anyone who hasn't replaced that stupid water plug on the back of their 1.6, do it now. It's easier with the CAS out, so replace the CAS o-ring while you're in there.

Or, don't replace the stupid plug and get stranded as it pisses coolant out after disintegrating.

:argh:

I have a small leak from the CAS and will check this out as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gorson posted:

Are there ramps that work well with the NA? Would be nice to have some for oil changes/inspections so I don't have to subject my 25 year old jack points to any undue stress.
I'm at stock ride height and as such can use these: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pro-ramp-12000lbs-0090064p.html I'm not super happy with them and they've screwed me a few times by being massive or otherwise inconvenient.

Race Ramps make some awesome low profile ramps with a lot of nice features.

You could also go nuts and buy a QuickJack. No idea where you'd mount it on the Miata (I assume on the frame rails) but it would be awesome.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Are there any specific rollbars for NB's that you guys recommend?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you putting in a fixed back seat with 5/6 point harnesses?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you planning on wearing a helmet?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Keeping the stock seat right now. I plan on wearing a helmet. Getting the roll bar for autocross.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You plan on wearing a helmet for your daily commute?

You don't need a roll bar for autocross.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Phone posted:

You plan on wearing a helmet for your daily commute?

You don't need a roll bar for autocross.

Oh. Well nevermind then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah forget about a rollbar unless you like your head bouncing off metal in a street collision.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah forget about a rollbar unless you like your head bouncing off metal in a street collision.

Okay MOM. Jeeeeeze.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can do it though, your head is thick enough!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I was driving my new nb for most of the day. After driving for a few hours I notice that the shifter and my right leg and feet started getting very hot. I looked under the hood and the coolant tank is empty. There is no leak that I've noticed (no coolant on the ground) so what could the problem be? The temp gauge didn't even go above the mid point. I'm hoping this is a cheap fix or else I got pretty hosed by the seller.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 26, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wait for the car to cool down and then check the overflow tank.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I thought the heat was normal. Mine got cooler after I replaced both of the cracked to hell shifter boots. While doing those, replace the shifter bushing and turret fluid.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Also see if you need to replace your shift boots. If they're old and cracked, they let a surprising amount of heat out.

Lower: M513-17-480A
Upper: NA01-64-481B
Shift bushings while you've got it apart: http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/SHIFT-BUSHING-KIT-%28PKMIAD1033%29.html

efb: :argh:

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 26, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Engine is mostly cool. Nothing in the overflow tank.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

So I was driving my new nb for most of the day. After driving for a few hours I notice that the shifter and my right leg and feet started getting very hot. I looked under the hood and the coolant tank is empty. There is no leak so what could the problem be? The temp gauge didn't even go above the mid point. I'm hoping this is a cheap fix or else I got pretty hosed by the seller.

For what it's worth, my MSM, which is an NB, vents heat into the foot area with no actual overheating problems of the engine itself. I assumed this has something to do with having a turbo, but it could be just an NB thing. I only had an NA to compare it to, and that car ran cold, incidentally. Try turning the air/heating system to cool; even with it off, it still circulates a little air and the temperature setting will influence the output.

Also, again, your main concern is the coolant level in the radiator and not the overflow tank. As Phone said, check it when it cools and fill if necessary, then check it the next time you drive & it cools to compare.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It's not just hot air blowing. The shifter as well as the side of the center console we're getting extremely hot. Even the radio was starting to get warm.

The engine is completely cool and I see no coolant in the overflow tank. I figure I can just keep filling up the radiator until I can get an appointment with a mechanic.

Which type of coolant should I use? I have no idea what the previous owner has been using.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Miatas have two areas where heat comes through to the cabin, and that's the exhaust system heat through the shifter/tunnel and the engine bay heat through the cowl. There is a seal between the hood and cowl that's supposed to stop the hot air from coming in but it doesn't work very well when it's new. I replaced mine with a new one and it helped but didn't eliminate it. Keeping the vents on recirculate helps also. I've also completely covered the tunnel with (radiant heat) insulating sound deadener, replaced the shifter boots and insulation and have pretty much eliminated any heat coming from the tunnel. An air scoop is going to be next :)

[e] I suppose if it's getting REALLY abnormaly hot the only thing I can think of is that the cat is failing and heating the poo poo out of the tunnel or something.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 26, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The car is obviously on fire.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

It's not just hot air blowing. The shifter as well as the side of the center console we're getting extremely hot. Even the radio was starting to get warm.

The engine is completely cool and I see no coolant in the overflow tank. I figure I can just keep filling up the radiator until I can get an appointment with a mechanic.

Which type of coolant should I use? I have no idea what the previous owner has been using.

Your car might very well be on fire like Rhyno said. Did you remember to check it for fires before finalizing the purchase? :ohdear:

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't worry too much about the heat coming from the shifter/console (as leica described.) That's kinda normal, and without having a frame of reference to compare it it could be at a normal temperature (this is your first Miata, after all.) My NB, for example, actually seems to emit less heat from around the shifter boot compared to my NA, and as I said they were opposite in terms of the actual operational heat. (I also had an exhaust issue with the NA, and it broke at a flex joint and had to be replaced. I don't remember if the heat emanating decreased after the repairs, this was several years ago.)

You could, I suppose, get a digital infrared thermometer and measure values around (and under) the car if you're still concerned and want to compare them to values from other Miatas.

Also, were you driving with the top down? You should've been, and if that's the case the entire interior will heat up; it'll be most obvious in the areas you mentioned since they're warm during normal operation. (Ask me about having a Miata in the Summer with an all-black interior!)

You can use a lot of things for coolant, but I don't think it's a huge deal as long as it's appropriate for your climate. Just use an antifreeze premix, or buy antifreeze and dilute with distilled water. Something like 25-35% of the antifreeze in water will probably be fine for your climate (otherwise follow the chart on the bottle.) As long as it doesn't freeze (e.g. you use 100% distilled water in a climate that has sub-freezing Winters) you'll be fine. Let it cool, fill the radiator, fill the reservoir, and then see how that goes. I think you'll be just fine.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The 2003 NB LS (so the last hot VVT one) i used to drive got the transmission tunnel oven-level hot each and every time i gave it a workout. I think its just some kind of result of the shape of the 6 speed in a transmission tunnel designed for another transmission. Maybe it leaves less space for air so the air heating you up will be hotter. Sometimes way way hotter. Design flaw from a broke car company who knew they would sell them anyway. Possibly some NB's make slightly more power than others (not unheard of in production) and get that tunnel just slightly hotter. This is not to be confused with heat from the shifter, which is something else and can be fixed. It didnt bother me because racecar.

Heat from the radio? Maybe you listen to nonstop techno at full volume.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The exhaust is right there, too.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

My transmission tunnel, and radio area get very hot. Probably because of worn out shifter stuff. It's normal, not the end of the world. 99nb with a 5speed.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Its certainly odd, The NA doesnt get warm at all. I dont even have a center console, just cheap home depot carpet, and i've tried to feel that old heat and its icy cool. Different sized transmissions is the only explanation that makes sense to me. (and yes exhausts and heat shields are all right there. Check to see if your heat shield is intact i guess)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There is no difference between the NA and NB 5-speeds. I think the NC unit might be the same as well.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Well my car isn't on fire. I looked in the radiator and it was filled. The overflow tank still went from half full to empty in about 3 days of moderate driving though. I filled it back up and I'll keep an eye on it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I rode in an NA with completely stripped interior - no center console or carpets or anything. After a few laps around a short track, the whole transmission tunnel was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds :supaburn:

My NBFL gets pretty toasty too, even in normal operation. Like not OMG hot but certainly enough to be somewhat disconcerting to someone without prior Miata experience.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So a friend of mine is buying an $1100 basket case '90 NA and I'm trying to think of what might be wrong with it.

The symptoms are that when you rev the car from idle with no load, it lugs for a split second before revving freely. It also does this with load, which makes getting it started even in first a bit of a challenge. Above 4500 rpm there's no more lugging from a rev and it takes off like a rocket. Naturally, I figured open loop closed loop.

You can tap the gas without stalling it, so the insanely complicated 80s idle control is working great.

I can't wobble the crank pulley by hand, and it doesn't seem to wobble when the car is idling, so I don't think it's an SNC problem.

Here's what the PO replaced:
  • Spark plugs, plug wires
  • CAS and o-ring
  • Air filter
  • Fuel injectors
  • Fuel pump
  • I assume fuel filter, but should confirm

Here's what we replaced last night:
  • Front o2 sensor (old one was solid white and rattled)
  • Rear coolant sensor
  • 10L of fresh 91 octane with a little bottle of octane booster (couldn't hurt)

Compression test came out to ~130 for all four cylinders cold, so no problems there. The engine sounds super strong but does idle a little patchily (without the chronic vibrations that I would expect).

It still does it. The only thing I can think of is clogged cat, because it feels like a 'breathing out' problem (it makes intake noise, the revs start to climb, then it feels congested and holds until it gets up enough engine inertia to push the exhaust out).

It also smells fairly rich but I haven't been around the car on anything but a cold start so I'm putting that fairly low down in the list of symptoms.

I didn't have a multimeter so I couldn't diagnose the AFM, but that would also be high up on my list of suspects. I was also suspecting timing.

No codes blinked out when we jumped the diagnostic block but it's always possible that the battery was removed before we got there and it lost the codes.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 26, 2015

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Heat chat: After about an hour of solid driving the transmission tunnel in my NA heats up pretty crazy. Haven't been noticing it much these days because the southern Japanese weather is making everything uncomfortably hot. I've been keeping the top up so I can use the air conditioning even.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Here's what we replaced last night:
  • Front o2 sensor (old one was solid white and rattled)
  • Rear coolant sensor
  • 10L of fresh 91 octane with a little bottle of octane booster (couldn't hurt)

That was the one that made my car all boggy and smell like a gas station.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The only thing I can think of is clogged cat...

Well we all know how to test that. Bring ear plugs. :getin:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Now that I think about it a bit more, a clogged cat should affect high RPM function more, right? A plugged cat would decrease laminar flow and crank up the turbulence, and at low RPM that wouldn't matter.

Maybe it's just timing.