Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

echomadman posted:

The 100w will cook the light housing, just get decent 55w ones, osram silverstars or philips motovisions are good

Hows this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO7NGI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

That bulb will work fine, I ran them in my old ST13.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I never looked for the bike, but I ran Osram Nighbreakers in my 4Runner and really liked them. If you can find those in your size I'd recommend them.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Will a 55w HID bulb cook something like this?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

At the MSC I drove a 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator, its clutch did not get to the friction point until I let it go almost more than half way out.

Are all bike clutches like this or am I just being a big pansy?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

ElMaligno posted:

At the MSC I drove a 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator, its clutch did not get to the friction point until I let it go almost more than half way out.

There is a dial next to the clutch that is used to adjust where it grabs at the lever. There is also a circular washer looking thing that can be used as well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd say it's probably 2/3rds of the way out before my clutch starts to grab.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Turns out the CRF blowby issue isn't fixed like I thought it was. Made it six laps on the track today (3 warmup, 3 at speed) and low sided from oil on the rear.

So what are some possible reasons for a ton of oil to be in the air box and crankcase breather tube after such a short run? I'm thinking blocked oil passage or something but am wondering what else could cause it.

Bike isn't being overfilled. It put out enough oil in 6 laps to fill a 1'x1/2" tube and the air box enough to leak out...something is wrong.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

NitroSpazzz posted:

Turns out the CRF blowby issue isn't fixed like I thought it was. Made it six laps on the track today (3 warmup, 3 at speed) and low sided from oil on the rear.

So what are some possible reasons for a ton of oil to be in the air box and crankcase breather tube after such a short run? I'm thinking blocked oil passage or something but am wondering what else could cause it.

Bike isn't being overfilled. It put out enough oil in 6 laps to fill a 1'x1/2" tube and the air box enough to leak out...something is wrong.

My f650 started doing that when a seal in the engine shat itself and obstructed an oil return line.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Shimrod posted:

There is a dial next to the clutch that is used to adjust where it grabs at the lever. There is also a circular washer looking thing that can be used as well.
You want to be careful messing with this knob willy-nilly, though. The manufacturer has a specification for where it's supposed to be set, and it may not feel right to you, but it needs to be there for the clutch to work right. So that the clutch doesn't drag or slip all the time, which will wear the clutch out prematurely or cause shifting issues.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have no useful information for you but I thought it would be fun to rag on the italians. The design on my '84 Guzzi V65 is such that the airbox and breather lines are designed to be full of oil all the time. The breather pipe is on the crankcase below the normal oil level.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

ElMaligno posted:

Yeah, most bikes are like this, or at least 2/3 of the way out like nasP said. Once you get comfy on a bike, you'll come to love it, because you can shift very smoothly and quickly. I just jab the clutch lever so it moves maybe 10 degrees (just beyond the friction zone) while simultaneously shifting, and smoothly yet quickly release the lever. It's all really quick and fluid partly because the friction zone is so far out. Note: don't worry about being fast while you're still learning, and keep in mind that your right hand will also need to be added to the mix.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Just changed my oil in the Ninja 250. I have put a little bit less than 2 quarts in with the usual 1.5 qts then idle for 30 seconds then wait a few minutes then "check the oil" then repeat. I have yet to see more in the sight glass than just the little in the bottom. I was using the lines on the side of the oil bottle as my measurement guide. Maybe that was a bad idea and I need some sort of turkey baster thing.

Am I doing something wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that since I have it on a rear stand that the oil is going toward the front and not reaching the site glass properly. If it was on the side stand, it would read incorrectly high so my thought was the rear stand was the best bet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wait so how much oil do you have in there?

You don't need to do 1.5 quarts and then let it idle for 30 seconds, just fill it until it's to the full mark, fire it up and run it for 30 seconds or a minute and then check it again and top it off if needed.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

You should be checking it on level ground but it shouldn't make that much of a difference, unless your rear stand has the rear wheel way off the ground for some reason.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Does anyone know of some small, waterproof electrical connectors for use on bikes? Im looking for some to use for a 12v outlet that can be mounted somewhere accessible for powering gps and the like, also for plugging in a trickle charger. It doesnt need a particularly high current rating - an amp or two would be fine, but it does need to be protected from the elements when not connected and ideally one half could be panel mounted. Any ideas?

grunthaas fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 29, 2012

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Wait so how much oil do you have in there?

You don't need to do 1.5 quarts and then let it idle for 30 seconds, just fill it until it's to the full mark, fire it up and run it for 30 seconds or a minute and then check it again and top it off if needed.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_check_my_oil%3F

You should be checking it on level ground but it shouldn't make that much of a difference, unless your rear stand has the rear wheel way off the ground for some reason.

Wow. The second I read "wait so how much oil do you have in there" it hit me. I assumed I was filling from a 5 quart jug. I had just barely 1 quart in there.

Thanks again Z3n

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

:psyduck: Do you not know the difference between 1 quart and 5 or am I reading your post wrong?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

echomadman posted:

My f650 started doing that when a seal in the engine shat itself and obstructed an oil return line.

Yeah looks like it may be a tear down, rather that and find something simple than destroy the thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

grunthaas posted:

Does anyone know of some small, waterproof electrical connectors for use on bikes? Im looking for some to use for a 12v outlet that can be mounted somewhere accessible for powering gps and the like, also for plugging in a trickle charger. It doesnt need a particularly high current rating - an amp or two would be fine, but it does need to be protected from the elements when not connected and ideally one half could be panel mounted. Any ideas?

I think powerlet makes some waterproof ones :)

Np xylo :)

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

grunthaas posted:

From earlier in the thread, I picked up this: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338307455&sr=8-5

and this: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338307455&sr=8-3

Edit: Just watch that you don't leave anything plugged in if you connect directly to the battery, the ignition won't turn off the adapter.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

blue squares posted:

:psyduck: Do you not know the difference between 1 quart and 5 or am I reading your post wrong?

I thought it was a 5 quart, but I was filling with a 4 quart. I saw the line for 3 quarts left and went just above it for 1.8qts.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Dalrain posted:

From earlier in the thread, I picked up this: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338307455&sr=8-5

and this: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338307455&sr=8-3

Edit: Just watch that you don't leave anything plugged in if you connect directly to the battery, the ignition won't turn off the adapter.

When I start adding any accessories to the bike, I am going to wire up a relay and distribution block to the license plate light so that I don't risk running the battery dead when the ignition is off. It also makes adding any additional accessories very simple.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

grunthaas posted:

If you want something quick-disconnecty, the standard BMW-style Powerlet plug is one of the more common ones. http://www.powerlet.com/product/basic-plug/275

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions about power connectors, couldnt find a reasonable price for Powerlet ones here in the UK, but they seem to be just a brand name on a standard part. Found a good deal ebay and they're on they way: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-DIN-HELLA-12V-24V-15-AMP-Power-Socket-/180502774778

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
I'm so bummed out.

I just found out that my motorcycle is going to cost 1100$ to repair. I already spent 900$ at the motorcycle shop. Not including the whole day and evening I spent de-rusting the gas tank.

Its a GS suzuki 500 2004. I bought it off Craiglist for 1900$ and then when I learnt how to ride it, found out that it would shut down nearly every time I braked.

Apparently, what's wrong is something to do with the valves in the engines? And something about de-greasing it.

The motorcycle repair shop guys there I think seem pretty honest. Do you guys think I should get the 1100$ to repair it? What do you guys think I should do?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dogpower posted:

Do you guys think I should get the 1100$ to repair it? What do you guys think I should do?

Well, that's impossible to know. If you're rich, but they are wrong, the answer is no. If you're poor and they are correct, the answer is also no. Then there are the "yes" options. Then there are all the gradients in between. Did they give you the exact diagnosis? If "something with the valves" means a good old valve clearance check and adjustment and carbs cleaned and synced, you can do it yourself for less money but it's going to take some tools, space, time and effort.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

For $1100, I bet you have a burned valve which happens on those bikes when the valves aren't adjusted, and they have to be adjusted every 4k or so.

I'd say, personally, sell it and try again.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I just took a 6 or 7 mile shakedown ride after finishing up all the work you guys have been helping me with for the past few weeks. Nothing fell off, leaked, exploded, or killed me, so thanks!

For those who remember me asking about my front brakes dragging (getting about 1 revolution from a hard shove), I went about a mile using almost no front brake (I had to use a tiny bit a couple of time out of fear, my neighborhood is so steep). The front rotors were slightly warm to the touch, not nearly as warm as the rear. I think after a hundred or two miles, I'll put it back up on the front stand and see if it rotates more, but I'm guessing it's probably okay.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
One turn to a solid shove sounds about right to me.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dogpower posted:

I'm so bummed out.

I just found out that my motorcycle is going to cost 1100$ to repair. I already spent 900$ at the motorcycle shop. Not including the whole day and evening I spent de-rusting the gas tank.

Its a GS suzuki 500 2004. I bought it off Craiglist for 1900$ and then when I learnt how to ride it, found out that it would shut down nearly every time I braked.

Apparently, what's wrong is something to do with the valves in the engines? And something about de-greasing it.

I really don't understand how a valve issue would only be apparent under braking, unless its carb float valves they're talking about.
for 1100 you could probably buy a whole new engine, or sell the bike as a fixer upper for 1000, add the 1100 you would have spent on fixing it to that and buy a new bike.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
For 600$, he can fix the valve problem, but he can't promise down the road that the bike wouldn't break down.

I'm thinking of going for the cheapest option, riding the bike for a few years (hopefully), and looking at craigslist for good deals.

The thing is that I'm hesitant now to buy a motorcycle off craigslist now. And if I buy from a dealer, the motorcycles tend to sell for at least around $4000. So if I fix the bike for the max amount, it will still workout to be the same.

But I'm thinking that the next time I buy a bike off craigslist, I'm going to only buy if the owner is willing for me to take the bike to the mechanic first for a check-up.

The bike shuts down not when its braking. Only when you decelerate slowly sometimes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Where do you live, maybe someone on here could take a look at it and give you their $.02.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

"Klüberplex BE 11-462"
Found another one. The S1000RR manual refers to its valve shims as "adjusting plates". As opposed to the K4X and K7X engines in which they are referred to as "oil sinks". Not sure if any of them are called valve shims or not.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Found another one. The S1000RR manual refers to its valve shims as "adjusting plates". As opposed to the K4X and K7X engines in which they are referred to as "oil sinks". Not sure if any of them are called valve shims or not.
"Adjusting plates" makes sense to me, in the same way that "expansion tank" or whatever made sense for the brake fluid reservoir, but "oil sinks?"

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I don't know if this is a valid worry or not, but I discovered a coolant tank under my seat on my 09 Speed Triple. Thing is, there was absolutely nothing in it, so I don't know if I have been running without coolant. Should I top it up with water in the interim? I can't find an adequate answer online. The bike hasn't been running hot to this point, and I discovered it when the engine was cold, so I don't know if it's an overflow or a reserve.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sildargod posted:

I don't know if this is a valid worry or not, but I discovered a coolant tank under my seat on my 09 Speed Triple. Thing is, there was absolutely nothing in it, so I don't know if I have been running without coolant. Should I top it up with water in the interim? I can't find an adequate answer online. The bike hasn't been running hot to this point, and I discovered it when the engine was cold, so I don't know if it's an overflow or a reserve.

According to google that's the expansion tank.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22841092/Triumph-Speed-Triple-1050-Owners-Manual-T595NJ-2-OHB-UK

Check page 64.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

n8r posted:

Where do you live, maybe someone on here could take a look at it and give you their $.02.

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sildargod posted:

It's an overflow and there should be lines on it indicating if it should have water in it or not.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Which says

"Check the coolant level in the expansiontank. The coolant level must be between theMAX and MIN 'stepped' features mouldedinto the expansion tank. If the coolant isbelow the minimum level, the coolant levelmust be adjusted. ... Remove the cap from the expansion tank and add coolant mixture through the filler opening until the level reaches the MAXmark. Refit the cap."

The non-boring, non-predictable option is to wind it up to max velocity, throw yourself off and then claim on insurance for the smouldering wreckage. I mean, why take chances riding around on a bike that might have been a little low on coolant at some stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sildargod posted:

I don't know if I have been running without coolant.

The bike hasn't been running hot to this point

Well, then you definitely aren't running without any coolant. Could still be lower than intended,though, as the other people said.