Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sexpansion posted:

Lee Sin AND Lux buffs? Okay, I'm listening.

That's only nominally a Lee Sin buff. Like it's a minor buff to his cinderhulk build but in solo queue it's not really meaningful I am pretty sure.

I am looking forward to New Jungle Ryze tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

excuse you

support lee sin

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Braum no longer instantly dies if he tries to block Baron Nashor’s Acid Shot with E - Unbreakable at the exact wrong moment

lmbo

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Firebert posted:

Braum no longer instantly dies if he tries to block Baron Nashor’s Acid Shot with E - Unbreakable at the exact wrong moment

lmbo

Braum's version of Unbreakable when he goes toe-to-toe with Baron Nashor:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Libertine posted:

Sona changes are going to make her very strong I think, and I'm glad I don't have to put multi-game-mode items on my item sets anymore.

Yeah the changes to E and ult passive are extremely powerful, she's going to be able to hit several power chords per fight and have Karma level mobility while actually being...useful.

e: also Taliyah is going to be 100% p/b, removing the lockout on W is bonkers, since you can now properly e>w>q combo without the delay

Firebert fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 12, 2016

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tired Moritz posted:

Is it gonna boost her early game that much? I mean, you're not having a lot of bonus ad at that time

With 15 AD from quints and reds, and a dblade at level 1:

.55*(15+8) = 12.65 extra damage on Q

.95*(15+8) = 21.85 extra damage on Q

a 9 damage buff at level 1 is pretty big along with 5 extra hp on vital strikes, will probably make trades easier for her at level 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat it they fixed support S-Ranks after I S-ranked all supports. RIOT!

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Is it gonna boost her early game that much? I mean, you're not having a lot of bonus ad at that time

roughly 8-10 more damage per Q at level 1 depending on runes/masteries. Pretty nice boost

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the topic of Blizzard and competitive metagames; HotS actually has an enormous roster of viable heroes, and its just undergone a ton of new changes today that do a great job of opening up split pushing (which has been bad p much for the entirety of the games life outside 2-3 short periods).

Glad to see they completely abandoned assfucking Malzahar's voidlings.

Figured I'd toss in my obscene amounts of TT (2000+ games on old account, 600 or so on this account I think) playing experience opinion: The vast majority of matches are determined by which team has the superior roamer (due to the fact that the layout of the map + no wards means that having your jungler lose their jungle causes top lane to have to tower hug if they dont want to be ganked, and makes bot lane far easier to pressure, and opens up the chance for the enemy to get both altars and Mountain Drake-type sustain), and I doubt that will change with these jungle adjustments. What WILL change is that slower junglers that require a more even mix of gold/levels (Amumu, Rammus) will be less burning-tire tier against strong early dueling junglers (Shaco, Warwick). The small creature gold nerf/big creature gold buff won't change much of the current dynamic since single-monster steals aren't that common compared to doing the full camp or just killing the other jungler (except for Shaco who's already pretty strong, but he also doesn't need much help killing the enemy jungler as well).

Removing Sanguine Blade is a really, really bad change. It's no secret that most weak-early carries on TT are insanely bad for the majority of the match, and this change is just going to make that worse. It will weaken certain popular picks (Xin, Aatrox, Graves, Caitlyn), but nowhere near as badly as the carries. It seems like the carry-negative changes in this patch are concerned about a small spool of burst carries that manage to be decent, at the expense of heroes that only shine lategame. Bizarrely enough, almost none of the changes this patch affect Urgot, who shines quite brightly as a tanky carry-bully on TT.

Dervish and Overlords weren't huge picks to begin with, so they won't make a huge impact on the map (especially with their SR counterparts showing up). Removing Wicked Hatchet and Van Damme's, however, is both a silly change that removes a neat and unique item, and hurts said carries even more (for anyone unaware , Pillager is a version of IE that, instead of granting 50% crit damage, causes the enemy to take 150% of their bonus AD as magic damage and reveals them for 3 seconds), but I'm not fretting too hard about that because they say in the notes that it's coming back. Duskblade is a nice addition (although it buffs two heroes that don't really need help on TT, Zed and Miss Fortune). Bloodthirster is an objectively nice change that will make late carries slightly less trap picks. Essence Reaver is alright I guess? Mana isn't a huge issue on the map between the short lane returns and increased mana regeneration.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hots is basically an abandoned game and all of my friends who played hate it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm also kind of disappointed that they didn't think to give Wraiths any smite buff this patch; it's the only normal camp on either map with zero bonus from being smited.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

hots is basically an abandoned game and all of my friends who played hate it.
i like playing hots casually but queue times are super long for how short the matches are

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i thought hots was ok but i got bored of it pretty quickly which is what has happened with every blizzard game for me recently which is kind of sad since i loved every game they put out up to and including WoW.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Neurolimal posted:

I'm also kind of disappointed that they didn't think to give Wraiths any smite buff this patch; it's the only normal camp on either map with zero bonus from being smited.

lmao are you trolling or

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

lmao are you trolling or

I'm not sure but I assumed he was talking about TT here.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sexpansion posted:

I'm not sure but I assumed he was talking about TT here.

He said either map so i assumed that was counting rift too

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

lmao are you trolling or

Lol I just looked it up; smiting wraiths gives you a mini version of the Lizard heal. That probably explains why I didn't notice it; most junglers go for Wolves since they have the Gromp buff, and if you're stealing then you are probably not hurting for health.

I dont think SR has wraiths anymore? They were replaced with chickens.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

He said either map so i assumed that was counting rift too
rift doesn't have wraiths

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I can't have been the only one to notice and chuckle at Lee Sin snapping a photo with his phone... upside down.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
My primary concern with the sona changes is that now people are going to start banning sona and what the gently caress am I going to play when they do that?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I can't have been the only one to notice and chuckle at Lee Sin snapping a photo with his phone... upside down.

It is extremely unsafe for Blitzcrank to be in the pool.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
New Ryze is going to be so loving dumb and OP just like old Ryze.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

New Ryze is going to be so loving dumb and OP just like old Ryze.

I look forward to many gimmick teams about teleporting Dudes Who Selfcast Crazy poo poo on top of carries. I mean, the range alone means he'll make a crazy TT jungler (gank top lane, TP with a top fiddles/nunu/swain right on top of bot laner).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So Sona is playable? I mean, I guess people FINALLY stopped picking Blitzcrank since the nerf, but you never know...

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

yeah its a shame that all of that design space that was opened by dr boom is gone

Boom going was fantastic, and mech mage being gone would be great if it signaled something other than the return of freeze mage, but it didn't. The Meta sucks currently, and has less variety than before TGC, and they did nothing to shut down the stuff that was ludicrously overpowered before GvG so GvG going away didn't bring in many new decks and instead signaled the return of the same crap from classic.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Bholder posted:

So Sona is playable? I mean, I guess people FINALLY stopped picking Blitzcrank since the nerf, but you never know...

Three games out of five, you can ban him so you don't need to worry about him. The other two games, it's fairly unlikely that blitz will get picked? Or somebody will pick blitz to try and counter you and not because they main him, in which case good positioning will usually take care of you.

The rest of the games, yeah blitz kind of fucks Sona. It's a tough matchup.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

TheAnomaly posted:

Boom going was fantastic, and mech mage being gone would be great if it signaled something other than the return of freeze mage, but it didn't. The Meta sucks currently, and has less variety than before TGC, and they did nothing to shut down the stuff that was ludicrously overpowered before GvG so GvG going away didn't bring in many new decks and instead signaled the return of the same crap from classic.

As long as Blizzard stays with their current balancing philosophy, their games will never be close to competitively balanced.

Say what you will about League, but it has decent competitive balance.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
blitz is banned 24/7 in bronze land.

also ryze looks coma-inducing easy to play

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 12, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Mikujin posted:

Lee Sin is doing his best Peter Paparazzo impersonation in order to get all the best photographic angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd0n7FGVfHE

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Neurolimal posted:

I aint a moba warrior m8, I like playing dota2, but theres no denying that it has a serious leaver problem, especially in gimmick modes and Ability Draft.

I still put up with that because Pudge Wars and Overthrow are good fun.

Not really sure how you got that from my post; obviously I have a different experience than her, but neither are "wrong".

E: Strife was super fun and interesting, plagued by being a casual moba by the moba company with the worst reputation. Adventure Time BP was pretty great, I loved playing the Lich and Gunter.

yea talking about a leaver probnlem in custom games is too much for me to handle im out

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sexpansion posted:

As long as Blizzard stays with their current balancing philosophy, their games will never be close to competitively balanced.

Say what you will about League, but it has decent competitive balance.

I'm not trying to knock Hearthstone, I think it's a fantastic game - I just don't think they thought about what dumping GvG and Nax would negatively do the meta. I think everyone knew most of the positives (Mech mage rotating out, Boom not basically being a requirement in every deck, a few other ridiculous cards and combos going away) but not many people expected so much to roll back to the old standard Dragon garbage. They make good cards (for the most part) but are horrible at balancing them. OTOH, Tavern Brawl is usually fun and is probably the reason we're getting a weekly rotation in LoL, some of the new stuff is more fun than the old even if not really being different, and they breathed a lot of late game life into what used to be early game loaded decks and vice versa (looking at you, Shamans and Hunters) so they're at least playable and somewhat competitive.

As for LoL balance philosophy being better, I'm not so sure. If there's a 100% p/b character, it's a pretty solid chance that character is overly powerful. There are also a wide variety of mostly useless champs at any given time, they just have a gigantic roster to work with so you can roll on to playing something else. What I can say about LoL is that they definitely TRY to balance things, and they work pretty hard at it, whereas the Blizz teams often don't seem to understand why things are broken in the first place (I mean, I played Pally in WoW through Cata, and that was the most slipshod rollercoaster I've ever seen in a game. Makes the Ryze reworks seem sensible and fairly spaced out in comparison).

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
League of Legends is fun and cool. Please leave Jhin alone from being nerfed and all will be well.

and hecarim jungle, also please do not touch. thanks.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 12, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Figured I'd toss in my obscene amounts of TT (2000+ games on old account, 600 or so on this account I think) playing experience opinion

Thousands of games of experience at bronze-silver elo is worth absolutely nothing in terms of insight. Almost every SR-specific item was useless and the inability to build BF sword items made like half of the ADC pool instantly unviable. BTW Shaco has a sub 35% winrate in ranked Treeline (34% in silver; 26% in gold, and 20% in platinum). He's awful.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Blitzcrank was in 4 of the last 7 ranked games I played.

I played Leona in all of them :getin:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

blah_blah posted:

Thousands of games of experience at bronze-silver elo is worth absolutely nothing in terms of insight. Almost every SR-specific item was useless and the inability to build BF sword items made like half of the ADC pool instantly unviable. BTW Shaco has a sub 35% winrate in ranked Treeline (34% in silver; 26% in gold, and 20% in platinum). He's awful.

Not sure what inspired the need to insult me, but okay. Shaco works really well in solo queue, where the jungler is less likely to see protection, as well as the ability to provide pseudowards for both lanes (same reasons Cait and Teemo are solid in soli). I'm not surprised that he's less successful in coordinated ranked play.

I never badmouthed adding BF to TT, I just questioned the wisdom of these attempts to mitigate the upper half of the ADC pool.

gangnam reference posted:

yea talking about a leaver probnlem in custom games is too much for me to handle im out

I can play like, 3-4 other MOBA's atm with gimmick modes and not need to worry about people instantly leaving or ragequitting because they picked poo poo abilities/couldn't rig the match at team sorting. Just sayin'

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 12, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Not sure what inspired the need to insult me, but okay. Shaco works really well in solo queue, where the jungler is less likely to see protection, as well as the ability to provide pseudowards for both lanes (same reasons Cait and Teemo are solid in soli). I'm not surprised that he's less successful in coordinated ranked play.

I never badmouthed adding BF to TT, I just questioned the wisdom of these attempts to mitigate the upper half of the ADC pool.

Those champions aren't even building Sanguine blade in the first place. Most of the high winrate ADCs are doing the bruiser/arpen build instead, and meanwhile every ADC whose best build involves crit (roughly half of the ADC pool) was in a terrible place with no option to build IE, ER, BT, or Mercurial Scimitar.

Shaco is just absurdly bad, as the statistics show. Like, a 45% winrate champion is clearly trash-tier, and 40% is unplayably bad and almost never seen. Shaco is way, way worse than that. It's not terribly surprising either, because he's basically useless against most of the viable champion pool once they start picking up a couple of items.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
shaco became bad this season when they released a bunch of super viable first and second items that give you defense and offense. for example, anyone going youmuu's / black cleaver won't have a hard time surviving his burst.

he won't be killing anyone unless he's really far ahead. he's kinda useless by riot's choice because they hate cool poo poo

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

exethan posted:

shaco became bad this season when they released a bunch of super viable first and second items that give you defense and offense. for example, anyone going youmuu's / black cleaver won't have a hard time surviving his burst.

he won't be killing anyone unless he's really far ahead. he's kinda useless by riot's choice because they hate cool poo poo

He's probably one of the ones on the board for the assassin update, so they either will ruin him forever (this one's the popular and likely one) or he'll be really cool and a little different idk

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Servaetes posted:

He's probably one of the ones on the board for the assassin update, so they either will ruin him forever (this one's the popular and likely one) or he'll be really cool and a little different idk

Look let's be honest here, they probably won't touch shaco because they want to ignore he exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

That's very possible, but he's old enough and outdated enough that for "assassins" he's gotta be on the block for changes. Rengar basically fulfills the "stealth man jump at you kill you" fantasy infinitely better than Shaco and has for a really really long time.

• Locked thread