Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if it wasn't for smalltalk, we wouldn't have eclipse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Java is p good to learn as the JVM equivalent of C

hrm. food 4 thought.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
c3 is right up there with the yahoo web store as a classic example of "this language/practice made us super productive but we still didn't know how to ship a good product"

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

well, kinda except smalltalk was quite influential in terms of the object model it espoused

izzat so? java's object model is not really all that similar to smalltalk's, ruby's is closer i guess and ruby is pretty widely used. incidentally, i'm Just Not As Enamored with MOPs as i thought i would be (clos as a whole is still cool tho, even as poorly integrated as it is)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
can't think of any major platform out there that uses a smalltalk influenced language, i guess you're right

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
new windows logo found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Haloquadratum_walsbyi00.jpg <- imgur thought the file was corrupt b/c they're dumb so no img tag

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

can't think of any major platform out there that uses a smalltalk influenced language, i guess you're right

forgot about apple. mea minima culpa

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

if it wasn't for smalltalk, we wouldn't have eclipse

this changes all my opinions about smalltalk

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Java is p good to learn as the JVM equivalent of C

this. Java when you have to, Scala everywhere else.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
jvm is pretty solid tech, and iirc most new jvm languages let you intermix java seamlessly which is nice if you're learning on the job but still need to get poo poo done

does the jvm still not support optimized tail calls though

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
didn't make it into jdk 8 as far as i know

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Internaut! posted:

jvm is pretty solid tech, and iirc most new jvm languages let you intermix java seamlessly which is nice if you're learning on the job but still need to get poo poo done

the feature has been languishing at 80% proto for three years at least.

scala can fake it with @tailrec and trampolining, but that's still not as good as actual tail recursion support.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Internaut! posted:

There probably are JVM languages that don't let you call java easily, but no one uses them. Same thing with build systems and maven central

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
groovy is cool if you want to do dynamic java within a long running jvm.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
one of our environment guys uses groovy a lot, I dunno about the dynamic aspects but from his scripts it looks like a more sensible java, very brief syntax

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its useful as a scripting language but I wouldn't build entire applications out of it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

got a blog post out in which I explain how the Erlang shell works. Not nearly as entertaining as tef's stuff, sadly.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shaggar posted:

yeah its useful as a scripting language but I wouldn't build entire applications out of it.

why not, just out of curiosity

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

im always super impressed by your diagrams in your posts, they help clarify things a bunch

blogs own write a blog (if youre tef or monoqqucqcq)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

got a blog post out in which I explain how the Erlang shell works. Not nearly as entertaining as tef's stuff, sadly.

this is the timeliest article in history

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internaut! posted:

i don't think shaggar would build applications out of anything that didn't produce compiled executable binaries, no?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internaut! posted:

like all dynamic/scripting languages it creates potential for a lot of shortcuts and abuse that turns into awful unreadable and unmaintainable crap. like i'd never write a web server in groovy but I might use groovy for custom request routing definitions in a web server.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
erlang seems cool but my brain-plate is so full right now =/

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

polpotpi posted:

im always super impressed by your diagrams in your posts, they help clarify things a bunch

blogs own write a blog (if youre tef or monoqqucqcq)

These ones were a lot simpler than some of the previous ones, but if I don't have a visual representation of how things work, I can't be sure I understand them.

Bubbles and arrows is the way to go :3:

Otto Skorzeny posted:

this is the timeliest article in history

Working on any specific feature that requires the shell?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

Working on any specific feature that requires the shell?

Not so much that, as I'm playing around in the shell a ton this weekend as I'm snowed in and have no better use for my time besides reading LYSE and hacking :)

gettin pretty tired of vmware btw. the rigamarole of hoops to jump thru just to download their software is ridiculous

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i think i'll look at erlang this weekend. or finally get back to that stupid little game i was supposedly working on. anybody know if LÖVE is worth poking at?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i mean i never touched a lua but it was good enough for grim fandango

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

like all dynamic/scripting languages it creates potential for a lot of shortcuts and abuse that turns into awful unreadable and unmaintainable crap. like i'd never write a web server in groovy but I might use groovy for custom request routing definitions in a web server.

could you list some shortcuts and/or abuse? i am interested in the details.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Werthog 95 posted:

lua goes out of its way to just be an embedded scripting language for c and c++ programs. i wouldn't write large applications in it. i don't give a gently caress that adobe did

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

squirrel is a nice lua alternative that doesn't get enough attention even though it's used in portal 2 and left 4 dead 2

the .nut file extension bugs me though because i get annoyed by things that don't matter

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Werthog 95 posted:

don't forget monkey island 4

or wait, yeah, forget monkey island 4

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

if you're a lovely programmer, you can write lovely code in any language regardless of how many shortcuts there are. given that you won't use these languages for this reason, what does that say about you as a programmer? makes u think

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i ported an appengine thing from python to java and now I'm saving money on cpu hours but ots way more code and a pain in the rear end

never win

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Toady posted:

lua goes out of its way to just be an embedded scripting language for c and c++ programs. i wouldn't write large applications in it. i don't give a gently caress that adobe did

well it's just a stupid little 2d endless runner game and i'm guessing the framework itself was mostly written in c? maybe? i don't know how anything works tbh.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

does anybody know who runs http://programmersbeingdicks.tumblr.com/

it's a good blog

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Werthog 95 posted:

well it's just a stupid little 2d endless runner game and i'm guessing the framework itself was mostly written in c? maybe? i don't know how anything works tbh.

a little game is fine, it's just that lua is the kind of language that doesn't complain about my dumb mistakes
code:
function do_it(piss)
    print(pisss)
end

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

yaoi prophet posted:

it's a good blog

actually it's bad + stupid. makes u think.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it turns otu being treated as a normal human being isn't a privilege???????

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Toady posted:

a little game is fine, it's just that lua is the kind of language that doesn't complain about my dumb mistakes
code:
function do_it(piss)
    print(pisss)
end

yeah i don't tend to like languages that let that poo poo slip by but rocketsauce liked it so idk i'll take it out for a spin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
let's all do the hegelian mombo