Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

drrockso20 posted:

Don't forget the random moments of hyper gore that are completely illfitting for the art style, and just plain gross too

The body popping is quite jarring everytime they use it, and it gets a fair amount of play over the 2nd half of the show. Not to mention the sheer number of pretty boys that get vaporized by beam sabers or Tolle being graphically decapitated. You kinda forget about it, but then last episode or two they're gonna make sure dudes just puff up into bloody mist.

The suit designs in SEED are generally p good except for the second half antagonist Gundams which are garishly awful. I suppose they fit their pilot personalities and Azrael as a villain though.

vvv Which version is that?

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its kinda telling imo that the version of the strike that gets the most play in kits and poo poo isn't even the design from the show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just don't like SEED's skinny suit look. I like my morbl soots thicc. At least the Providence is good looking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just don't like SEED's skinny suit look. I like my morbl soots thicc. At least the Providence is good looking.

Not until the MG redesign. The original's proportions are really wonky and awkward. The MG basically turns it into a humanoid Star Destroyer, and it is badass.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

The MG basically turns it into a humanoid Star Destroyer, and it is badass.

Can't say as it looks anything like one to me, though I'm also not sure what a humanoid Star Destroyer would look like in the first place to judge that I suppose. That said, the only thing the MG has that even remotely reminds me of a Star Destroyer is the color.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Can't say as it looks anything like one to me, though I'm also not sure what a humanoid Star Destroyer would look like in the first place to judge that I suppose. That said, the only thing the MG has that even remotely reminds me of a Star Destroyer is the color.

It's that massive, angular bulk, with huge expanses of grey broken up by finely-detailed panelling. Its shield in particular feels very Star Destroyerish to me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That thing is so abusrd I'm this close to buying one. I have a backlog of 70+ kits already too, gently caress.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That thumbnail very nearly made its backpack look like a pointy hat

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The new mg seed kids are loving awesome. I love the redesigns and the freedom 2.0 is one of the best master grades ever made. They also made me a fan of the regular justice, a suit I used to be neutral at best towards.

Only real problem is that the freedom's white cannons look kinda dumb now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Guess my original MG Freedom is just no good anymore :cry:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Tonight was my introductory Gunpla party for my roommates and cooworkers. Five people building their first kits with me coaching.

Unboxing, intimidation setting as they look at the sprues and instructions, everything wondering what the hell they've gotten into...

...which soons fades once everyone starts assembling their torsos.

Being built are a Crossbone Gundam Maoh, a Gundam Vual, two Graze Ritters, and a Swordfish II. In addition to buying them their first kits, I also order a several :10bux: hobby tool sets from Amazon and gave them to each couple. A few pieces were broken due to missnips and trying to undo incorrect placments, but nothing glue couldn't fix.

We only had a couple of hours before dinner was served; the only kit that was complete was the Swordfish, since it was a good bit simpler than the mobile suits.

My roommates' progress for the evening.

Everyone had a good time, and my coworkers are planning on coming back next Thursday to continue.

Edit: Wrong thread, technically, but close enough.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 22, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome. Glad to see a new gathering spring up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Woah, check out the photos of a guy pushing drugs onto innocents to turn them into fellow addicts! You're a monster, Paper Kaiju! A drat monster! :argh:.

What's the quality like on the Cowboy Bebop kits, out of curiosity?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Its kinda telling imo that the version of the strike that gets the most play in kits and poo poo isn't even the design from the show

I'm guessing you're talking about Noir here? If so, even aside from the design it just tends to be fun to play in the games, which probably lends it some popularity in other places as well.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Turn A Gundam was great. Easily became one of my favorite shows when I finished it a few weeks ago. Any other gundam shows you guys would recommend?

I've watched Turn A, G, Seed/Destiny and the first season of 00.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Turn A Gundam was great. Easily became one of my favorite shows when I finished it a few weeks ago. Any other gundam shows you guys would recommend?

Wing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Wing was the first Gundam series that made me lmao repeatedly

Tearing up the birthday party invitation after everyone applauds
Bringing a resume to join the circus (the resume has no circus related experience on it)
Blowing up the wrong plane and saying "Mission accomplished" into the camera

I'm like 1/3 through and this show isn't slowing down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marx Headroom posted:

Wing was the first Gundam series that made me lmao repeatedly

Tearing up the birthday party invitation after everyone applauds
Bringing a resume to join the circus (the resume has no circus related experience on it)
Blowing up the wrong plane and saying "Mission accomplished" into the camera

I'm like 1/3 through and this show isn't slowing down

The most important question: are you watching the dub?

Because if you aren't, change that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The English dub is the only acceptable version of Wing, let's all be real here.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

War in the Pocket, always. Its a tight character drama that's about 2 hours long. It is good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I agree with the War in the Pocket suggestion, but I'd say IBO's also worth a look. Moral ambiguity, brutal close quarters fighting, mobile suits that need fuel and ammo, and plenty of horrifying consequences.

If you can take sometimes-awkward pacing, it's a pretty good ride.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I love IBO's pacing. It's like a good album(s), with an ebb and flow to it, and builds to strong, exciting finales since full out battles aren't as common as in other shows.

Would have been a much poorer watch with one episode a week as it aired.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Woah, check out the photos of a guy pushing drugs onto innocents to turn them into fellow addicts! You're a monster, Paper Kaiju! A drat monster! :argh:.

What's the quality like on the Cowboy Bebop kits, out of curiosity?

The directions were not as intuitive to a non-Japanese speaker as with the Gundam kits, so an error was made in one wing that prevents it from folding up (and the wing parts were practically impossible to pry apart, unlike most MS parts, so we couldn't fix it). And we couldn't get some of the parts that go into the clear cockpit to actually go in, so he trimmed them off. Other than that, a good display piece. My main complaint is that at a price point of $25, I expect more from a Bandai model than something a green modeler can knock out in a little more than an hour, especially when I can get a Real Grade for roughly the same price.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/variasuit/status/1009645635103023105

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
IBO more "wow cool robot" than Build Fighters, sure

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Forgot about the episode where Reiji became a paraplegic to defeat Beargguy in the semis

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, I could maybe see someone getting that takeaway if they only watched S1. Maaaybe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, why’s 00 all the way over to the left? Despite the messaging, there was a lot of ‘wow, cool robot’ in that show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One of the tweet replies says he put IBO there because he was at a gunpla building event where a group was asked about their favorite Gundam show and people said "IBO was badass and super bloody".

I mean, IBO is one of the most overtly cynical and critical shows re: armed conflict in the franchise, but I guess if you're rating it on peoples' surface-level reactions that's reasonable.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
IBO being all the way on the right makes sense to me, since the show doesn't really take a War Is Bad stance at all, focusing more on Colonialism Is Bad. Hell, if anything, IBO is probably the most pro-war Gundam show, since the epilogue shows that all of the warfare in the show results in positive changes for those living in space and on Mars.

Build Fighters being to the left of IBO is still dumb, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Paper Kaiju posted:

IBO being all the way on the right makes sense to me, since the show doesn't really take a War Is Bad stance at all, focusing more on Colonialism Is Bad. Hell, if anything, IBO is probably the most pro-war Gundam show, since the epilogue shows that all of the warfare in the show results in positive changes for those living in space and on Mars.

This is missing the point really badly. War actually accomplishes little to nothing, what fixes everyone's lives is politics. The people who bet on war fixing their lives (Tekkadan) ended up dead, or having to live under fake names. The ones that managed to actually change things were those that dealt in politics, namely Rustal and Kudelia.

The whole image is incredibly dumb anyways because Gundam will always be both "war is bad" and "wow cool robots!" simply because it is a merchandise-oriented show that nonetheless tries to have a message, beyond the spinoffs that focus entirely on merchandise.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Akihiro's Big Scissors are really cool though

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jackhunter64 posted:

Akihiro's Big Scissors are really cool though

Mika's mace doesn't fall too far behind either, and goddamn the claws and tail on the Barbatos Lupus Rex? loving savage, man.

Also savage: children dying of hunger and being used as soldiers and tools by the powerful, risking their lives on extremely dangerous operations just so they can be sent to die on a battlefield for barely any food to keep living, having no education and no future beyond more war.

That's what I mean. Gundam will always have the dual message of "WAR IS BAD" and "BUY GUNPLA", and that's how it should be.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Thanks guys. Going to check out War in the Pocket + IBO first and then Wing later down the line.

BTW is that Reconguista show any good? Some of the art I've seen looks phenomenal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is missing the point really badly. War actually accomplishes little to nothing, what fixes everyone's lives is politics. The people who bet on war fixing their lives (Tekkadan) ended up dead, or having to live under fake names. The ones that managed to actually change things were those that dealt in politics, namely Rustal and Kudelia.

The whole image is incredibly dumb anyways because Gundam will always be both "war is bad" and "wow cool robots!" simply because it is a merchandise-oriented show that nonetheless tries to have a message, beyond the spinoffs that focus entirely on merchandise.

Eeh, Kudelia was very much moved out of the picture throughout s2, and was an obvious puppet-queen in the ending. You can make a reasonable argument that McGillis and Tekkadan’s failed rebellion gave Gjallarhorn the shock it needed to enact reform (or, from another perspective, gave Rustal the leverage he needed to enact the reforms he always wanted). It read like a much more complex message - that oppression brutalises the oppressed, driving them to extremes that are horrifying and self-destructive, but also powerful tools of social change. They probably won’t live to see the world they create, and certainly will not be remembered well within it, but the changes built on their corpses will be far greater and more lasting than they could have accomplished by working through the corrupt, unfair system stacked against them. Your well-intentioned but ineffectual privileged allies are totally going to get the credit you deserve, though.

It seems like a pretty insightful take on the history of popular protest movements.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yes, in the end it's the politicians that make the world/s a better place, but that never would have happened with the warfare to serve as a catalyst for change. Kudelia gains her political power by having an army to back her up in S1. Rustal gains his political power by suppressing McGillis' revolt and taking down Tekkadan in S2.

In Gundam, war is almost always treated as a disruption to the status quo. In most series, that status quo is usually peace, which war disrupts through slaughter of civilians, or forcing civilians to participate. In IBO, though, the status quo is the brutal exploitation of civilians, including children, which is perpetuated by Earth benefiting from said exploitation, and Gjallarhorn showing no interest in doing anything about it. Then Tekkadan, and later McGillis, bring war back to the Earth Sphere, changing everything. The fact that it ends tragically for a majority of the main characters doesn't change it has a positive outcome for humanity as a whole, and that it would never have happened without the war.

I'm not saying that the show was intentionally pro-war, just that it can be interpreted as such. The concept that a war story can be a tragedy and still be pro-war is incredibly common in Western cinema, as is the paradox that every anti-war film can also be viewed as a pro-war film.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks guys. Going to check out War in the Pocket + IBO first and then Wing later down the line.

BTW is that Reconguista show any good? Some of the art I've seen looks phenomenal.

Reconguista is real pretty, with great mechanical designs, but the story and characterisation are a bit messy even when you get what it’s going for (mostly, satirising Japanese rearmament).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's divisive. I like it a whole lot (my second favorite Gundam in fact) but some people loving hate it. I don't like IBO though so i'll admit my tastes are a bit nonstandard around here.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's what I mean. Gundam will always have the dual message of "WAR IS BAD" and "BUY GUNPLA", and that's how it should be.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Eeh, Kudelia was very much moved out of the picture throughout s2, and was an obvious puppet-queen in the ending.

Kudelia gets everything she wants at the end of season one. She's not a big part of season two because she doesn't make the same mistakes Tekkadan do as part of their tragic fall.

I don't understand how you can read her as a puppet at the end. During season one she is (Nobliss' "Maiden of the Revolution"), but once she's secured a seat at the bargaining table she's getting all the things she was working for the whole time (economic freedom for Mars, ending slavery in space), and they are objectively good things even if they also happen to benefit a man she has good cause to hate on a personal level.

No one is manipulating her, and she keeps up her little gestures of defiance in the little causes she backs, and the employees she takes on.