Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zev posted:

How about barbell medicine vs starting strength for a newbie? Or does someone have a better beginning program?

Greyskull LP is probably the best beginner program out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Time posted:

are you looking for a workout or a diet when you say program

Either or both.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

feelix posted:

Being heavy? Doesn't that just mean you get to go against bigger guys that hit harder?

Also I understand you would be pretty bad at actually hurting people or at grappling, but for sparring and amateur competition in kickboxing and boxing, wouldn't it be pretty good to be a super light lanky guy with a ton of reach?

There's a reason heavyweight is also nicknamed trashweight, friend.

It tends to turn into fat guys gasping and attempting to disconnect heads from shoulders.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

500 swing/day + chicken, brown rice, and green beans every meal until you are shredded

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

real suggestions only pls

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

real suggestions only pls

Do deadlifts and squats everyday and stop eating food and drinking water

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Reduce food until weight goes down. Monitor your weight and make adjustments if necessary. Eat a lot of protein. Since you're eating less, eat smarter so you get tired less. Get those veggies and vitamins brother, drop the fast carbs for slower 'uns

I just started cutting as well and I'll basically be doing chicken, pulled pork, stews and brown rice for the next months. With lots of vegetables everywhere

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 16, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Zzulu posted:

Reduce food until weight goes down. Monitor your weight and make adjustments if necessary. Eat a lot of protein. Since you're eating less, eat smarter so you get tired less. Get those veggies and vitamins brother, drop the fast carbs for slower 'uns
I've done all that. I've lost like 90 lbs. I was just interested in trying a plan for the last 15ish lbs.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

feelix posted:

Being heavy? Doesn't that just mean you get to go against bigger guys that hit harder?

Also I understand you would be pretty bad at actually hurting people or at grappling, but for sparring and amateur competition in kickboxing and boxing, wouldn't it be pretty good to be a super light lanky guy with a ton of reach?

I mainly follow MMA, but low level heavyweight has lots of guys who don't belong there and are just fat. So if you are 6'4'' and a "real" HW the advantage is obvious.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

I've done all that. I've lost like 90 lbs. I was just interested in trying a plan for the last 15ish lbs.
I am trying to lose weight right now. The hard part is I get all kinds of awesome free food at work. And eating is like a brain PED.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Greyskull LP is probably the best beginner program out there.

I kinda skimmed through it. What makes it the current recommendation? Basically what he outlines towards the beginning?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

bomb posted:

Do deadlifts and squats everyday and stop eating food and drinking water

so much this

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
The best part about working out at home is when I get a sudden crohns flare up I dont get yelled at by the owner of my old gym for destroying the bathroom like 5 times during my max effort lower day. Guess my summer cut is starting now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I might deadlift with straps today.

I think the time has come.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
what are you, a lil bitch?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Should I hook grip the handle when I wakeboard

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

feelix posted:

Should I hook grip the handle when I wakeboard

I know a guy who did this and outrageously hosed up his hand one time when he wiped out

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Time posted:

I know a guy who did this and outrageously hosed up his hand one time when he wiped out
lol why would anyone actually do this, it sounds like an incredibly bad idea

If you can't hold on to the handle normally, it's time to give up and fall down to avoid hurting yourself any more than you already have

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

I might deadlift with straps today.

I think the time has come.

just grab the bar friend

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

feelix posted:

lol why would anyone actually do this, it sounds like an incredibly bad idea

If you can't hold on to the handle normally, it's time to give up and fall down to avoid hurting yourself any more than you already have

He was loving around and paid the ultimate price, 2 summers where he couldn’t get on the water

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Time posted:

He was loving around and paid the ultimate price, 2 summers where he couldn’t get on the water

Holy poo poo

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Big Wet Bitch posted:

P.S. I should have thought about this. I should have known people would not bother reading my guide, even though the ones who do get better results. So we'll improve this part of the app later so that it tells you which days to lift.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't use straps because I forgot them but I will next time.

I'm also going to have a rest day before it so I can make a serious cheat PR attempts.

No belt though, obvs. I'm not a baby.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

Greg made a podcast and it's very good, hopefully it's updated more often than his YouTube normally is

Listened to this Wednesday. It was a lot funnier than I expected.

Zev posted:

How about barbell medicine vs starting strength for a newbie? Or does someone have a better beginning program?

Beginner programs are something you shouldn't over think. Just focus on learning the lifts (and preferably learning about some modern training concepts like RPE/reps in reserve) and add weight until it gets hard, then switch to an actual program.

Barbell Medicine did just come out with their own beginner program (not The Bridge) with a guide and everything which is probably good but it's $$$.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I feel weird using a belt to deadlift, like overly restricted but I use one of those inzer forever belts so it's just a solid rear end piece of leather

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

does a belt reduce strain on the posterior chain? I get wrapping the bar to reduce hand injuries but why a belt? Is it a replacement for a weak post/core grouping?

bomb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 17, 2019

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I expect so, and core stability etc etc but I never really cared to analyze it because I tried deadlifting belted once or twice for the hell of it and it was just so restrictive and uncomfortable even at light weight that I never bothered to do it after

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

bomb posted:

does a belt reduce strain on the posterior chain? I get wrapping the bar to reduce hand injuries but why a belt? Is it a replacement for a weak post/core grouping?

A belt gives the muscles of your mid section something to flex against creating a more rigid trunk allowing you to lift more weight.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
belt you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F25fhUGPQoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8

:allears:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 18, 2019

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I usually recommend GZCLP for newbies. I wish I had ran it instead of SS/greyskull/boring rear end sets of 5 programs.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Once I have enough IG followers to get someone to sponsor me a free belt with my lifting name on it Ill use one

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Holy poo poo Turkish getup's are awesome.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

What if I'm not a dead nazi I doubt he was actually a Nazi, he had a ton of Russian pride so the Hitler shirt was probably edgy ironic

feelix fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 18, 2019

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Helios Grime posted:

Holy poo poo Turkish getup's are awesome.

They are the best exercise everyone should do them everyday

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you can do an exercise every day it can't be much good.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Conjugate is wicked fun and im getting stronger and better conditioned. Over a month in and im definitely making good progress on bench and deads. Havent tested squats and ohp yet, maybe next month

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bomb posted:

They are the best exercise everyone should do them everyday

why

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
You'll look like a weirdo and no one will want to interact with you.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Helios Grime posted:

You'll look like a weirdo and no one will want to interact with you.

how is this different from my normal gym experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Doing heavy squats/deadlifts and presses isn't weird anymore.
Didn't you get the memo?