Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Uroboros posted:

Are the gamemats they still made of the same mousepad like material? Also, would you recommend a single or two sets of those ruins to adequately fill the table? Or maybe a combination of the ruins and the industrial sets?

I have the industrial complex as well as the mars mat, and they look baller as hell. It's almost enough for a full table, however I wouldn't buy two industrial set, instead getting some more area terrain like craters to mix it up. The terrain pieces are very tall, so good LOS blockers, and unlike most ruins I've seen, models aren't supposed to stand on top of them - something I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Fair enough. I just love the look of orange PPE on them. I really need to get around to finishing my squad some time.

Orange and white/light grey looks really good with blue details on visors, masks etc.. If I had any white primer kicking around I'd probably have gone that way rather than stay in blue/purple comfort zone.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

Are the gamemats they still made of the same mousepad like material? Also, would you recommend a single or two sets of those ruins to adequately fill the table? Or maybe a combination of the ruins and the industrial sets?

Yes, still mousepad material.

I got 1 set of the ruins, the town square and a set of the walls. So I treat the ruins with footprints as ruins and everything else barricade and LOS-blocking if applicable.

Also, the ruins come with door/window inserts for the first floor so you can make them LOS-blocking if you want.

I felt that this was enough terrain for a 6x4' table.

Luebbi posted:

I have the industrial complex as well as the mars mat, and they look baller as hell. It's almost enough for a full table, however I wouldn't buy two industrial set, instead getting some more area terrain like craters to mix it up. The terrain pieces are very tall, so good LOS blockers, and unlike most ruins I've seen, models aren't supposed to stand on top of them - something I like.

That new terrain in WD would probs be a great addition for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Holy poo poo Tyranids weaknesses are going away!

Can't wait to see how GW cocks this up.

Still, these changes are great while still staying fluffy, and I'm very excited to hear the fleet specific bonuses.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I have 161 models on my tracking spreadsheet right now. This doesn't include off-sheet stuff like the Orks I have in a box with no particular plan to paint them, or the random never-started projects sat in ziplocs which maybe will emerge one day if I ever decide to play Eldar/Chaos/WMH. I live to churn.

Suddenly I feel better about the 25 primaris 4 tanks 5 custodes and 5 tartaros I have build/paint.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've mastered one weird trick to working through a backlog.

Be poor enough to not be able to afford a backlog.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

Suddenly I feel better about the 25 primaris 4 tanks 5 custodes and 5 tartaros I have build/paint.

The oldest thing on there is a pair of Baal Predators, purchased in May 2010. My BA are a terrible hodgepodge of painting styles and I really need to either redo half of them or scrap the lot.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Corrode posted:

The oldest thing on there is a pair of Baal Predators, purchased in May 2010. My BA are a terrible hodgepodge of painting styles and I really need to either redo half of them or scrap the lot.

If I had a tracking spreadsheet I'd have poo poo dating back to 2nd Edition on there. Instead I have boxes that painted and upainted stuff alike gets buried in and lugged from house move to house move. So I only count poo poo that I can put my hands on as a backlog otherwise I'd probably have a heart attack.

From memory, stuff I'm aware is kicking around in the garage somewhere: about 75% of Black Reach, All but the cultists and hellbrute from Dark Vengeance, most of Calth, all the stealers and some of the Terminators from the rebooted Space Hulk. a Wraithlord, Ork Trukk, Island of Blood Skaven, Some Skullpass stuff, All the Primaris from Dark Millenium, Warbands from Shadespire, Start Collecting Serpahon, 2 Units of Khorne Blood Warriors, 1 unit of Reavers, 3 Juggernaughts of Khorne, box of Sisters of Averlorn, Genestealer Cult guys, Tempestus Scions bits and some Savage Orcs :/

I've painted 4 Primaris so far, all different colour schemes for some reason.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I don't even want to look at my backlog. I have, easily, 6 or 7 unpainted armies across WHFB and 40k. Most well over 2k points. Plus terrain. And Infinity. And Bolt Action. Judge Dredd. Malifaux.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think one good change about the Synapse changes is that they stealth-nerfed morale for Tyranids, reintroducing them to the morale game. Before you conga lined over to the big boss bugs because otherwise you couldn't pick targets whatsoever. Now you get 12 inches between failed targets and immunity to morale, so casting the bugnet wider helps free up space for actually interacting with the morale game.

Also, stealth-mode Dakkafexes with the Jorm trait are going to be surprisingly deadly, I feel. All the bulk of a Carnifex with heavily buffed firepower and a perpetual yet hefty save modifier is going to bring back the Distraction Carnifex in a major way.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

TKIY posted:

I don't even want to look at my backlog. I have, easily, 6 or 7 unpainted armies across WHFB and 40k. Most well over 2k points. Plus terrain. And Infinity. And Bolt Action. Judge Dredd. Malifaux.
Three 40k armies, one for Flames of War, and one for By Fire and Sword here :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My shame is I still have a box of burning of prospero I haven't even loving touched. I knew I wanted it and I knew I probably wouldn't play it any time soon but drat, that was pretty expensive. :retrogames:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

Judge Dredd.

:smith::hf::smith:

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I have a company command box, a couple individual conversions, a primaris chaplain, some scouts. I have a contemptor dread, Ahzek Ahriman, cataphractii terms, and mk 3 tac marines incoming from ebay as well.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Zaphod42 posted:

My shame is I still have a box of burning of prospero I haven't even loving touched. I knew I wanted it and I knew I probably wouldn't play it any time soon but drat, that was pretty expensive. :retrogames:

I bought a box of Space Hulk back when it first got released in 2009 or something, and it sat untouched in my closet until this past spring, when I sold it at a yard sale for five bucks. :frogbon:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What's the best build for Scouts right now?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh, I shudder to think about unpainted minis. I've got a bunch (30? 50?) of loose metal Tallarns, 8 Tallarn Rough Riders, and an entire squad of metal Steel Legion (still in blister). 5x 2nd Edition Ogryn, 10x 2nd Edition Ratling Snipers, 10 Kasrkin, NIB Russ (x2?), Basilisk, at least 2 Chimerae, and an OOP Griffon Siege Mortar. A bunch of random ministorum priests/confessors. FW resin Valkyrie (unassembled) and Vulture (assembled but unprimed). Also NIB: Necron Monolith, Praetorians/Lychguard. 10 of the old metal Flayed ones half-painted. And that doesn't even get to the mess of Imperial BFG cruisers I still have on sprue. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, I am almost afraid to take a full inventory.

BTW, if anybody wants any of this stuff, send a note to chafin3rd on the gee-mailz. I don't want to move all this poo poo again if I can help it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

mango sentinel posted:

If you just want them to block out deep strike zones for your opponent and grab objectives - naked, bolters.

If you want to do some shooting - snipers, camo cloaks.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I played my first game with my Deathwatch yesterday, which resulted in an absolute rout on my part. I didn't even kill a single item on the other side.

Clearly I didn't have enough vehicles/anti-tank/flyers, so I've decided to amend my list.

i've added a Land Raider, and just ordered two more razorbacks.

I figure two razorbacks, a land raider and 3 blackstars will provide me with enough support to take out enemy targets. My question is, how should I kit out the razorbacks? I'll probably leave them loose so I can swap, but what's the consensus on the best loadout?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

So I played my first game with my Deathwatch yesterday, which resulted in an absolute rout on my part. I didn't even kill a single item on the other side.

Clearly I didn't have enough vehicles/anti-tank/flyers, so I've decided to amend my list.

i've added a Land Raider, and just ordered two more razorbacks.

I figure two razorbacks, a land raider and 3 blackstars will provide me with enough support to take out enemy targets. My question is, how should I kit out the razorbacks? I'll probably leave them loose so I can swap, but what's the consensus on the best loadout?

Assault Cannons seem to be the point-per-point best option.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Asscans, las/plas and twin las are all solid, best to worst in that order (asscans assume you have proper AT somewhere else in the list mind).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

Asscans, las/plas and twin las are all solid, best to worst in that order (asscans assume you have proper AT somewhere else in the list mind).

Are LC/AC preds sufficient?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

Are LC/AC preds sufficient?

Yes, those are the best Preds.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

mango sentinel posted:

I really like bolters + heavy bolter. I use them to hang back and throw out hellfire shells.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Corrode posted:

Yes, those are the best Preds.

I've got 3 AC/LC preds sitting around from when a friend sold me his 5th edition army. What's a good template to build them on? I assume Ultramarines because of Chronus. Should I get a 4th for Killshot insurance?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've got 3 AC/LC preds sitting around from when a friend sold me his 5th edition army. What's a good template to build them on? I assume Ultramarines because of Chronus. Should I get a 4th for Killshot insurance?

4 is kinda expensive. I just run 3, and you can swap the lascannons for HBs to save points on one or two if you really want. Park a Techmarine behind them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

4 is kinda expensive. I just run 3, and you can swap the lascannons for HBs to save points on one or two if you really want. Park a Techmarine behind them.

After playing around for a while I only swap to HBs if they're rocking the twin lascannon turret. Someone here told me I should do that and after trying to make destructors work for a while I decided they were right and a predator always needs some kind of lascannon.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

After playing around for a while I only swap to HBs if they're rocking the twin lascannon turret. Someone here told me I should do that and after trying to make destructors work for a while I decided they were right and a predator always needs some kind of lascannon.

I dunno, the Pred AC is pretty great, especially with Killshot up. At NOVA I ran one Trilas and 2 Destructors, just based on what parts/models I had painted, and it worked pretty well.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Chronus is a bonus yeah. It doesn't really matter since they don't get CTs anyway, so fit them around the rest of the list. It helps for them to have hit and wound re-rolls, so Chapter Master/Pedro + LT or Guilliman nearby is strong. Killshot is great, but anyone with a brain will delete a Pred early on, so it's limited in how often you can use it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I dunno, the Pred AC is pretty great, especially with Killshot up. At NOVA I ran one Trilas and 2 Destructors, just based on what parts/models I had painted, and it worked pretty well.

Yeah they're great with killshot up but the first thing to do vs a killshot list is to kill the predator with the most lascannons and then the other two aren't doing a lot. Pred AC is nice but it's ap-1.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Killshot and Linebreaker Bombardment are such traps, and once again highlight how bad the SM codex is compared to others.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Uroboros posted:

Killshot and Linebreaker Bombardment are such traps, and once again highlight how bad the SM codex is compared to others.

Killshot isn't a trap at all - its a buff to an already decent-to-good unit, and rewards you for taking 3 which would already be fine on its own.

Linebreaker, maybe - it replaces the shooting for 3 units you wouldn't have taken otherwise.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
bluebies carried by robooty smdh

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Well with the Land Raider + 3 Blackstars, I can kit them out with either Lascannons or Assault Cannons.

My idea is to put the watchmaster in the land raider, run it and the razorbacks near one another, drop him out then reroll misses with the Land Raider and both Razorbacks.

The blackstars i can equip out with triple twin assault cannons for shredding dudes, then the anti-tank missiles if I need additional support.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Killshot isn't a trap at all - its a buff to an already decent-to-good unit, and rewards you for taking 3 which would already be fine on its own.

Linebreaker, maybe - it replaces the shooting for 3 units you wouldn't have taken otherwise.

Killshot would be way more useful if it was just 'this Predator and any others within 6"' which can't be countered by your opponent killing a single, not especially tough vehicle. As it is, if you go 2nd (which isn't unlikelg with Marines) it only gets used against the inexperienced or the unlucky.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Well with the Land Raider + 3 Blackstars, I can kit them out with either Lascannons or Assault Cannons.

My idea is to put the watchmaster in the land raider, run it and the razorbacks near one another, drop him out then reroll misses with the Land Raider and both Razorbacks.

The blackstars i can equip out with triple twin assault cannons for shredding dudes, then the anti-tank missiles if I need additional support.

Sounds like a decent plan.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Anybody able to help me make a list? I posted one a while ago as my first attempt but I haven't done anything with it. My LGS does monthly 40k leagues with games every week, and based on the calendar it looks to be 1845 pt games, so I'd like to make a beginner list around the amount. Right now I own 5 tactical marines (the other five got ruined by primer), a company command box, a primaris chaplain, and a sniper scout box. I got some stuff off ebay, but i'm waiting for it to arrive, a contemptor dread, Ahzek as like a head librarian, 10 more tac marines, and a cataphractii squad. Where can I go from here? For the most part I'm not concerned about doing well, I just want a decent army for my first game, something I'll have fun playing. TIA for all advice.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

JoshTheStampede posted:

They are certainly traps for units that you usually don't take in triplicate to begin with, especially when the loss of one means the stratagem becomes worthless, and the vehicles themselves gain zero benefits from their associated chapter.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Killshot would be way more useful if it was just 'this Predator and any others within 6"' which can't be countered by your opponent killing a single, not especially tough vehicle. As it is, if you go 2nd (which isn't unlikelg with Marines) it only gets used against the inexperienced or the unlucky.

Sounds like a decent plan.

In a similar vein, has anyone used or had the new Fire Prism Linked Fire stratagem used against them? It seems kind of hilarious.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

They are certainly traps for units that you usually don't take in triplicate to begin with, especially when the loss of one means the stratagem becomes worthless, and the vehicles themselves gain zero benefits from their associated chapter.

Yeah they really need to fix that, everyone else gets benefits for vehicles but not SM or CSM.

Anyway, each predator really does have to pull its weight. If you only have the autocannon for anti tank and killshot is down, then if you get pretty lucky and score 4 hits that'll be 2 wounds at 4+ vs most vehicles, doing 3 damage with the one they fail. It's not awe inspiring.

I bring some twin lascannon + heavy bolter ones to save points since they can still hold their own in a tank fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Same here. Have converted a few from the original metal models, and confirm they look great. In the past I used some greenstuff to bulk out their pants/boots and painted over any exposed midriffs with liquid greenstuff - the men don't have belly shirts, so why should the women? I can post photos if you're interested in seeing how they came out.

If I can get my hands on a few additional sets of Catachan legs, I may just cut the new Eschers in half and glue them on from the waist up. Not having to work in metal is a very exciting prospect!
Hey man, it's always a treat seeing pictures of your stuff.

I might be too lazy to greenstuff over exposed midriffs, I might try and use as many of the shirtless torsos for the male Catachans as possible instead to compensate.