Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any recommendations on which player to buy, and where to buy it?

mine is a Sony from this place: http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

I was recommended this one the other day

I plan to buy a refurb'd one for $109-119.

I'd love more recommendations as well though.

Your recommendation led me to this player which, as it turns out, I actually own. Just not the region free version. That leads me to the obvious question, what is done to these players to make them region free? I know there are both hardware and software changes that can be made, but which is it in this case? Obviously if it's hardware then I would to buy a new player, but if it's software, is there a mod I can perform to my existing player to make it region free?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Which model do you own? Do you have to input codes to select a region each time?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Your recommendation led me to this player which, as it turns out, I actually own. Just not the region free version. That leads me to the obvious question, what is done to these players to make them region free? I know there are both hardware and software changes that can be made, but which is it in this case? Obviously if it's hardware then I would to buy a new player, but if it's software, is there a mod I can perform to my existing player to make it region free?

Hmm I googled this quickly because your post made me curious. I found this from 2015, so might not still work:
https://scottiestech.info/2015/02/22/make-your-dvd-or-blu-ray-player-region-free/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My Sony just requires you to press a color button to switch regions.

How long does Amazon UK take usually? I ordered on Sept 7 and it was supposed to deliver on the 26th. Ordered the MoC Vertov set and BFI's Kennth Anger set. Also ordered BFI's Chaplin Mutuals and Napoleon.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

My Sony just requires you to press a color button to switch regions.

i forget the model number off-hand, but ^^^ this ^^^

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So back to my original question for a sec, can you guys name some of the must-have non-region A Blu-Ray discs?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

So back to my original question for a sec, can you guys name some of the must-have non-region A Blu-Ray discs?

BFI is putting out a dope Napoleon remaster soonish. I also think a lot of the Arrow blu ray releases (distribution house not the tv show) are Euro region.

The trailer for the BFI Napoleon is what made me decide to start looking to region free players.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Godard's One + One

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Well, to sweeten the deal a little bit if you're currently on the fence about buying a region free Bluray player, Arrow is having a fall sale.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatulater bro! posted:

Waking Life

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not a comprehensive list, but a good start...

First, the key studios:

Masters of Cinema/Eureka
Long considered the UK's answer to Criterion. They have exclusive UK rights to the Transit Film library, which includes almost all pre-WWII German cinema. Their specialty are silent films, often surpassing the US Kino Lorber and sometimes Criterion editions.

Arrow Films
Went from a more obscure label to one of the star UK boutique labels. They specialize in genre films, especially sci-fi and horror. Considered the UK equivalent to Shout! Factory and they have released some titles in the US recently.

BFI
Label created by the British Film Institute. Usually high quality releases, often without an equivalent US release.

I'm not as familiar with the non-UK labels, but I know Carlotta (France), Lobster Films (France), and Divsa (Spain) are known for high quality releases.

Here's my essentials, broken down into categories.

UK > US edition (better encodes/transfers, more extras):

Metropolis - David Kalat commentary, better encoding than US Kino (MoC)
Nosferatu - Kalat commentary, vastly better encoding than US Kino (MoC)
Man with a Movie Camera & Other Films (Vertov) - More extras, vastly better encode [US Flicker Alley edition compresses all content onto one BD-50, MoC on two BD-50s] (MoC)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - Best quality transfer, best score, and only edition with 1925 cut in HD. (BFI) - Region Free with PAL extras disc
Chaplin's Mutual Comedies - Best quality transfers, more scores, commentaries. (BFI)
Buster Keaton Complete Short Films - Better encodes than US Kino set, more extras, and more scores (MoC)
Fear and Desire - Includes Kubrick's short films Day of the Fight and Flying Padre, plus visual essay not on US Kino edition (MoC)
The 'burbs - Loaded special edition with 2K remaster vastly better than bare-bones Universal edition (Arrow)
Zardoz - More extras, new 4K restoration. US Twilight Time OOP. (Arrow)

Unavailable on Blu-Ray in US (OOP or in-print DVDs may exist)

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse - Criterion has more extras, but is only on DVD. (MoC)
The Passion of Joan of Arc - 2K restoration with multiple cuts, but without the Visions of Light score (MoC)
City Girl - Released on DVD by Fox in a Murnau/Borzage box set only (MoC) - Region Free
Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle - US Fantoma DVD is sort of OOP. Exact same films and extras. Region free! (BFI)
The Last Command (Von Sternberg) - US Criterion DVD is OOP. (MoC)
Lifeboat (Hitchcock) - Only on DVD in US from Fox (MoC)
The Trial (Welles) - Only public domain, poor quality US DVDs. (StudioCanal)
Peeping Tom - US Criterion long OOP. (StudioCanal)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - US Criterion long OOP (StudioCanal)
The Tales of Hoffmann - US Criterion long OOP, from new 4K restoration. (StudioCanal) - Note: Criterion will release it eventually
The Adventures of Prince Achmed - Only on DVD in US from Milestone. (BFI)
Peter Pan (Disney) - OOP in US, identical disc shared with sequel - Region Free
The Adventures of Mark Twain (Will Vinton) - Only DVD edition in US - Region Free
L'Age D'or/Un chien andalou - Only DVD edition in US is OOP. (BFI)
The Lost Weekend - In-print from Universal only on DVD (MoC)
The Lodger/Sabotage/Young and Innocent - US Fox DVDs OOP. Criterion has rights, but no planned releases (Network)
The Fallen Idol - US Criterion is long OOP (StudioCanal)
The Man Who Fell to Earth - US Criterion Blu is long OOP, new 4K restoration. (StudioCanal)
Kind Hearts and Coronets - US Criterion is long OOP (StudioCanal)
The Long Good Friday - US Criterion long OOP and new 2K restoration (Arrow)
The Human Condition - US Criterion is DVD-only. (Arrow)
Rossellini's War Trilogy - US Criterion is DVD-only (BFI)

BFI also has several box sets of Alan Clarke and Ken Russell films that may or may not have US editions on DVD.

Arrow has two Woody Allen sets. The first box has three not on Blu at all (plus on only from Twilight Time), the second set has four Twilight Time titles. Good option since the price is vastly lower than buying separately in US.

Box 1:
Bananas (not on US Blu)
Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (not on US Blu)
Sleeper (MGM Blu in US)
Love and Death (Twilight Time Blu in US)
Annie Hall (MGM Blu in US)
Interiors (only DVD in US)

Box 2:
Manhattan (MGM Blu in US)
Stardust Memories (only DVD in US)
A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (Twilight Time Blu in US)
Zelig (Twilight Time Blu in US)
The Purple Rose of Cairo (Twilight Time Blu in US)
Broadway Danny Rose (Twilight Time Blu in US)

Totally unavailable in the US (not even a DVD):

Abel Gance's Napoleon - US edition coming in 2017/18, but with different restoration and score. Nov. 21 release date. (BFI)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover - OOP for over a decade in US
Matinee - Arrow Films has a special edition

This is just touching the surface, though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

loving SOLD. Thanks for the list.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just FYI, I don't actually own all of them, but they all look like great picks from reviews I've read. I only just recent got my player.

I'd recommend looking at reviews on Blu-ray.com or DVD Beaver since they cover a lot of the essential UK releases.

It's also worth noting that there's a lot of UK releases, region free or locked, that are virtually identical to US editions... but at better prices. For example, the MoC editions of Intolerance and The Thief of Bagdad (Fairbanks) are half the price of the US Cohen editions, but almost the exact same discs. I only paid about $30 for the UK Harry Potter box set when it was still $60-70 at best in the US. Exact same discs except for the first film having the more faithful "Philosopher's Stone" title.

You can also get plenty of OOP Disney titles in the UK with the exact same discs as the US editions. Peter Pan, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Bambi, and Dumbo are all still in print and relatively inexpensive. While some titles are blocked from US import, I found that a lot of 3-D Blu-Rays are cheaper in the UK. You can buy the 3-D Extended Hobbit box set for only $50 from the UK while it's almost $100 in the US.

There's a double-feature of Titanic and Avatar, both in 3-D, for $20 USD; similarly priced double features for Mary Poppins/Saving Mr. Banks, the animated and live-action Cinderella, and even most of the Marvel films.

There's also some TV series totally unavailable in the US. Kenneth Clarke's Civilisation was only given a cruddy PAL-to-NTSC DVD, while it's a full HD remaster in the UK (cheap, too - only $30 USD). The Prisoner is OOP in the US (going for over $200 on average) while it's inexpensive and in print in UK.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KXWHCSI

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

ah jeez

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just noticed that Russ Meyer's official store is selling Faster Pussycat Kill Kill on Blu-Ray now - does anyone have this and can they confirm that it rules?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I just noticed that Russ Meyer's official store is selling Faster Pussycat Kill Kill on Blu-Ray now - does anyone have this and can they confirm that it rules?

It looks really good, but there's no menu or special features. It's about as bare bones as you can get.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

It looks really good, but there's no menu or special features. It's about as bare bones as you can get.
Same as the official DVDs then.

I'm on it now that I know the quality's good. But I'm gonna miss all the extras from the Arrow DVDs. Thanks!

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Same as the official DVDs then.

I'm on it now that I know the quality's good. But I'm gonna miss all the extras from the Arrow DVDs. Thanks!

Here's hoping for Vixen and Supervixens on blu one day!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm not finding a Blu-Ray copy of Blade Runner between Amazon and Best Buy. What up with that?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm not finding a Blu-Ray copy of Blade Runner between Amazon and Best Buy. What up with that?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M4MB8K
?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, but Criterion's recent Beyond the Valley of the Dolls includes trailers for Faster and Vixen among the supplements. It wouldn't surprise me if they're going to do more elaborate editions through Meyer's estate.

I've never seen a Russ Meyer film, so Beyond is high on my list of films to check out.

Criterion is probably wanting to tap more into cult films. They have The World's Greatest Sinner in the works and Janus just released John Waters' Multiple Maniacs. Shout! and Arrow are making a killing off cult and genre films, so it would make sense for them to do more.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More all region goodness:

Looks like there's a postal strike causing delays, but it looks like everything is returning to normal. Will have trip report in a few days on the MoC Vertov, BFI Anger, and BFI Chaplin Mutuals soon.

There's a new label in the UK starting up called Indicator. It was started by some ex-Sony employees and so far all licensed titles are from Sony.

The cool thing is that they're largely clones of US Twilight Time releases, except they're only $17 USD on average, ALL REGION, dual format, and have packed extras.

Here's the first waves:

Oct. 25:
Body Double
Christine

Nov. 14:
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
To Sir, With Love
10 Rillington Place

Dec. 5:
Happy Birthday to Me
The Last Detail

TBD:
The Anderson Tapes
Experiment in Terror
Fat City
The Lady from Shanghai
Bunny Lake is Missing

Their page on Blu-Ray.com is here:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=2037

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

They have The World's Greatest Sinner in the works

uhhhhhhhhhhh they do?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

There's a new label in the UK starting up called Indicator. It was started by some ex-Sony employees and so far all licensed titles are from Sony.

The cool thing is that they're largely clones of US Twilight Time releases, except they're only $17 USD on average, ALL REGION, dual format, and have packed extras.

My heroes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not the guy who posted originally, but that edition (the one I have already) was coming up as $40 earlier so something was up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Does the Digibook have all the disc content that was on the original 5-disc set?

I'm not a huge fan of Blade Runner, but I like the idea of getting into a film with that many versions and extras.

edit: Found a press release on Blu-Ray.com - looks like it carries over everything, plus adds a photo gallery.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 2, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A lot of the discs in that original issue were DVDs anyway. In all fairness, the only version I care about owning is Final Cut these days. And that really cool documentary I only got about halfway through.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Egbert Souse posted:

Not a comprehensive list, but a good start...

Totally unavailable in the US (not even a DVD):

Abel Gance's Napoleon - US edition coming in 2017/18, but with different restoration and score. Nov. 21 release date. (BFI)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover - OOP for over a decade in US
Matinee - Arrow Films has a special edition

This is just touching the surface, though.

Matinee is just not available as a standalone right? Because I have it on DVD as part of a 10 film family movie collection.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Matinee is just not available as a standalone right? Because I have it on DVD as part of a 10 film family movie collection.

I should have checked that. Universal released a DVD in 2010. I thought it only had a DVD from Image back from 1998 when Universal licensed a ton of films to them.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

What is the deal with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover? I swear Criterion announced it about five years back and then it just didn't end up happening and isn't going to happen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caligulamprey posted:

What is the deal with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover? I swear Criterion announced it about five years back and then it just didn't end up happening and isn't going to happen.

I refuse to accept this :colbert:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Final specs for BFI's Napoleon per Amazon UK:

- New 2K restoration (1080p 1.33:1 + 4.00:1 for triptych)
- Score in DTS-HD 7.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo
- English intertitles
- The Charm of Dynamite, Kevin Brownlow's 1968 documentary on Abel Gance
- Composing Napoleon: Interview with Carl Davis
- Feature-length commentary by Paul Cuff
- Digital restoration featurette
- Stills gallery
- Alternative single-screen ending
- Individual triptych panel presentations
- Illustrated 60 page book with writings, interviews, and credits

(Also confirmed to be Region B, obviously)

The single-screen version is quite astonishing. It was actually created by Abel Gance for theaters that couldn't play the 3-panel version. That's the version used for the landmark 1983 UK broadcast of the film.

caligulamprey posted:

They had the rights, probably from Anchor Bay who put out a bare-bones DVD, but they lapsed. It was the only Miramax title licensed to Anchor Bay from Disney/Buena Vista - the rest were the Selznick International films (like Notorious), ABC Films (like Straw Dogs), and most of the lower tier Disney live-action films (like The Black Hole). I'm guessing the rights lapsed at the same time they lost the three Selznick Hitchcock films and Straw Dogs.

It's still part of the Miramax library per their website:
http://www.miramax.com/movie/the-cook-the-thief-his-wife-her-lover/

Lionsgate is the US distributor for Miramax. My guess is that it's just one of the thousands of titles they have the rights to, but never plan on actually releasing.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 2, 2016

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
drat, a 3 hour commentary? That's pretty impressive.

Also I missed the R2 recommendation bonanza, but I will chime in to mention I Stand Alone (only domestic version available is a truly dire DVD), Arrow's Jacques Rivette collection (there's a R1 box collecting Out 1, but Arrow's version includes three additional movies which are very much worth owning), and the Shohei Imamura collection (the only reason to not get this box set of 8 very good [or better] movies would be if you had bought the standalones separately, but if you're coming into the whole region blind then mash that buy button). If you like Kieslowski, Arrow's upcoming release of the Decalogue looks even better than Criterion's since it contains nearly all of his very well-received, impossible-to-find TV work (although it's missing the theatrical versions of Decalogue 5 and 6). Finally I enthusiastically cosign the recommendation for MoC's Keaton shorts box set - it's an incredible collection of arguably Keaton's funniest work. I may like it more than the domestic Kino collection of his features.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

They had the rights, probably from Anchor Bay who put out a bare-bones DVD, but they lapsed. It was the only Miramax title licensed to Anchor Bay from Disney/Buena Vista - the rest were the Selznick International films (like Notorious), ABC Films (like Straw Dogs), and most of the lower tier Disney live-action films (like The Black Hole). I'm guessing the rights lapsed at the same time they lost the three Selznick Hitchcock films and Straw Dogs.

It's still part of the Miramax library per their website:
http://www.miramax.com/movie/the-cook-the-thief-his-wife-her-lover/

Lionsgate is the US distributor for Miramax. My guess is that it's just one of the thousands of titles they have the rights to, but never plan on actually releasing.

it's on filmstruck :ssh: (along with a few other miramax movies)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 2, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The perfect movie for your 17 year old nephew starting his freshman year as a philosophy major at the University of Nebraska.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Waking Life is great, although I liked A Scanner Darkly way more.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Amazon has a 3 for $20 Blu Ray deal at the moment. Can't link due to phone postin' but there's a half decent range.

Found this out by following DVD Beaver's review of Beat Takeshi's Violent Cop - the studio that did the release, Film Movement, had a version of Once Were Warriors that I picked up on Amazon too. It looks a lot nicer than the barebones 1080i transfer available in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

I, Butthole posted:

Amazon has a 3 for $20 Blu Ray deal at the moment. Can't link due to phone postin' but there's a half decent range.

Found this out by following DVD Beaver's review of Beat Takeshi's Violent Cop - the studio that did the release, Film Movement, had a version of Once Were Warriors that I picked up on Amazon too. It looks a lot nicer than the barebones 1080i transfer available in Australia.

Here's the link: http://amzn.to/2dLPlcg

• Locked thread