Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jivjov posted:

Tokyo Metro is a favorite of mine, your opinions on cloth maps may vary, I usually just weigh down the corners to hold it taut. It's a cheerfully cutthroat little game, with managing liquid funds being really really REALLY important. It also honestly plays well as a solo score challenge-the slightly random deck setup means each game has slightly different actions available at different times.

Tsukiji Market hasn't made it to my table yet, I have to try to get a group of heavy economic game fans together for it, and that's s kinda hard under pandemic conditions...but it seems solid and I've watched a couple of YouTubers play it.

Overall I really love all of Jordan's work, and any campaign of his is an instant-back for me.

Which expansion, along with the base game, would you suggest to someone who was interested in this get?

Good for two players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Which expansion, along with the base game, would you suggest to someone who was interested in this get?

Good for two players?

Metro plays well at 2, my wife and I have gotten mileage out of it that way, so Metro base game plus its expansion would give you a lot of game. Per Jordan, the expansion map and action cards make the game a little quicker and a little tighter (and the base game is already pretty well tuned) so there's some variability in setup. And from what I understand, you can play either map with either action card set, so there's 4 different setup options (Tokyo normal, Osaka normal, Tokyo w/new actions, Osaka w/old actions).

Osaka Metro can also technically be played as a standalone if you proxy in the player markers and stations (and track money on paper or something?), so that'd be a budget way to play the game without getting both boxes.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jivjov posted:

Metro plays well at 2, my wife and I have gotten mileage out of it that way, so Metro base game plus its expansion would give you a lot of game. Per Jordan, the expansion map and action cards make the game a little quicker and a little tighter (and the base game is already pretty well tuned) so there's some variability in setup. And from what I understand, you can play either map with either action card set, so there's 4 different setup options (Tokyo normal, Osaka normal, Tokyo w/new actions, Osaka w/old actions).

Osaka Metro can also technically be played as a standalone if you proxy in the player markers and stations (and track money on paper or something?), so that'd be a budget way to play the game without getting both boxes.

Thank you I will watch a few play throughs

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Mindclash Games (Anachrony, Trickerion, etc.) have a new episodic board game on KS about surviving on a dinosaur island: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindclash/perseverance-castaway-chronicles

I like people approaching episodic / pseudo-legacy games in new ways. I'm sort of tempted.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cool, Monster Care Squad got a blurb in this Gizmodo article:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/travel-to-the-golden-age-of-the-witcher-and-see-pandemi-1844238175

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Tokyo Series Expansions hit the first stretch goal, unlocking a new color finish on the metal currency that's an optional addon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think I conceptually love the idea of Tsukiji Market, but it looks very very dry.

I'm not sure if I got it I'd ever get it to a table, but the idea of having this lovely little box of delightful wooden fish tokens and fireburnt metal coins is.. appealing; in the sense of "oh check out this wanky game on my shelf I bought just for me"
You can tell it was made by a traditional designer, as it just oozes style. Just not sure if the substance is there.

I'll see if I can get the boys to the TTS table before the campaign is over.
It reminds me very much of Container.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning has launched on KS

I think my mate is likely to back it. As all I needed to say to him was "It's a 4X pirate game, that looks like it plays very similarly to Xia"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Aw neat!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

The Terrain Essentials book by that Terrain Tutor guy poasted an update about another delay. This guy got divorced and now has air bubbles trapped in his lungs and im pretty sure there was something else. I will never run a kickstarter cause it's obvious that doing so destroys your life.

quote:

Thank you all for your continued patience and support.

It has been a month since the last update, and while that month hasn't been the worst of the last eight months, it was pretty close. Just as we seemed to be getting back into a rhythm, Mel "popped a lung".

Basically, that means that a bubble of air leaked out from his lungs and into his chest cavity, causing pain and discomfort as it rolled around in there, putting pressure on not only his lungs, but his heart too. It was actually discovered when he was rushed to hospital for a suspected heart attack, which turned out to be the air bubble pushing on his heart. Obviously having a respiratory issue during this pandemic has been quite stressful, and despite bed rest and reduced activity, he had a second "pop". CT scans have followed, and next week he'll be going in for another biopsy to check on things.

Mel and I have been talking and working on other alternatives and have been making progress, despite these issues, but it is certainly stressful for us. When Mel and I embarked on this journey and invited you all to join us, we never pictured anything like what we've had to go through over the last year. We thank you for you patience, and appreciate the incredible frustration that so many of you must be feeling with us and the slow going. Trust me when I say, we are feeling incredibly frustrated too.

Our current goal is to complete all of the builds and 95% of the text by the end of July, and if we can do that we'll be able to have the book off to the printers in mid-August and then back for distribution to your all late Sept/early October. These are our goals.

As you know, however, 2020 has not been kind to many of us physically or emotionally, but we know we have made this significant commitment to you all and we'll keep working to make it happen as best we can.

Thank you!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

I think I conceptually love the idea of Tsukiji Market, but it looks very very dry.

I'm not sure if I got it I'd ever get it to a table, but the idea of having this lovely little box of delightful wooden fish tokens and fireburnt metal coins is.. appealing; in the sense of "oh check out this wanky game on my shelf I bought just for me"
You can tell it was made by a traditional designer, as it just oozes style. Just not sure if the substance is there.

I'll see if I can get the boys to the TTS table before the campaign is over.
It reminds me very much of Container.

I'd argue that the only games of Jordan's that are more style than substance are the "framework" games that come in the Tokyo series; Jidohanbaiki and Coin Laundry. He just makes a bunch of wee little components and invites guest designers to create rules for them. They have fantastic table presence, but the rules for the games often feel really slapdash. His bespoke designs; Metro, Jutaku, Tsukiji Market, Game Show, Import/Export; are all much more thoroughly designed

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mojo Jojo posted:

I like people approaching episodic / pseudo-legacy games in new ways. I'm sort of tempted.

I was super tempted because legacy and dinosaurs are both my jams, but on evaluation I saw the dinosaurs were pretty fictionalized. I don't want a shieldhead and a trampler. Real dinosaurs are rad as gently caress.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

theironjef posted:

I was super tempted because legacy and dinosaurs are both my jams, but on evaluation I saw the dinosaurs were pretty fictionalized. I don't want a shieldhead and a trampler. Real dinosaurs are rad as gently caress.

Check out Cracked Earth

It also features the BEST dinosaur, the Stegosaurus.

:siren: STEGOSAURUS MEEPLES :siren:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Infinitum posted:

Dead Reckoning has launched on KS

I think my mate is likely to back it. As all I needed to say to him was "It's a 4X pirate game, that looks like it plays very similarly to Xia"

Man, that sentence was a rollercoaster. Pirate 4x had my attention, then Xia? :rip:

I really wanted to like Xia, too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xia is OK. I own it, I'd honestly rather play other games these days. Turns take too long, you can get hosed over by rng, it really sucks to get attack and you merely get crippled, etc, etc.

Xia is.. fine. Painted minis own bones tho.

The Xia 'hook' I mentioned to my friend, who adores Xia, was that it's very sandboxy and you can choose the 'role' you want to aim for.
So you can go all in on trade, warfare, etc, etc.

Honesty should have just said Pirate 4X :v:

The dice tower system is very unique as well. It looks like it'll be up for a few weeks, so I'll check some playthroughs.
Hopefully my mate picks it up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Xia is a sandbox game but sometimes you roll like poo poo for movement and then you realize the sandbox is filled with quicksand and you realize your poor life decisions as you sink further and wait for a merciful end.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vidmaster posted:

(Not a trad game, but there’s probably some overlap here)

10th anniversary leather bound edition of Sanderson’s The Way Of Kings: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition

Pretty expensive at $200 for the book, but man is that gorgeous.

Buying in really hard on a series that's currently on book 3/10 just strikes me as kind of silly, although I do like the books.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Xia is a sandbox game but sometimes you roll like poo poo for movement and then you realize the sandbox is filled with quicksand and you realize your poor life decisions as you sink further and wait for a merciful end.

The biggest neg I can say of Xia is that the score tracker goes up to 20, and honestly I think you're a crazy person if you go past 9-10.

Man.. maybe I should just gift it to me friend lol

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Check out Cracked Earth

It also features the BEST dinosaur, the Stegosaurus.

:siren: STEGOSAURUS MEEPLES :siren:

I will check that out. Had the same problem with Cypher System - Predation. I want a game about dinosaurs, then I crack the book and it's all "The mighty Teslasaurus has lightning powers" and I just check right back out. It's not like there isn't a huge wealth of fascinating actual species to craft a story around. Maybe I just need to be the change I want to see in the world.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A steampunk game you say? Better include Nikola Tesla!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Buying in really hard on a series that's currently on book 3/10 just strikes me as kind of silly, although I do like the books.

On the one hand, yeah, fair enough. On the other hand, this is Sanderson, who cranks out sometimes as many as 3 lengthy novels a year. I don't think there's too much reason to worry it'll go unfinished.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vidmaster posted:

(Not a trad game, but there’s probably some overlap here)

10th anniversary leather bound edition of Sanderson’s The Way Of Kings: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition

Pretty expensive at $200 for the book, but man is that gorgeous.

Good fuckin God that kickstarter is doing well. I liked the book well enough but almost certainly not enough to back that.

I say almost certainly because it looks so very nice.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 9, 2020

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you missed out on snagging Ettin and Freyja's Hard Wired Island when the Kickstarter first rolled around, the preorder store for it is now live.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Necronautilus just went live and it looks pretty cool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adamxvass/necronautilus?ref=user_menu

And it looks to have already met the goal!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mouzer posted:

Necronautilus just went live and it looks pretty cool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adamxvass/necronautilus?ref=user_menu

And it looks to have already met the goal!

Sometimes you see something so bad-rear end that you immediately slap your head, think "That's genius" and pledge.

This quote got me there:

" Rolling the exact value = a better-than-expected result, but the Word itself fractures. The player then creates new Words using the letters of the fractured Word. Correct spelling isn't necessary and creativity is encouraged. Example: VISIONARY can become AIRY and NOIS ([sic] noise).

Players learn new words as they traverse the infinite galaxy helping out the denizens of dead planets who teach new Words with grace, exploring locations with Words long-hidden, or besting terrible creatures who wield Words as weapons against the Agents."

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nemesis, I think i managed to get you a few more backers through a Pathfinder actual-play podcast discord. Everyone loves being friends with monsters!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OgreNoah posted:

Nemesis, I think i managed to get you a few more backers through a Pathfinder actual-play podcast discord. Everyone loves being friends with monsters!

That's rad, thank you so much! Yesterday was a little scary, we announced international shipping estimates and its the first day we had substantial cancellations, but it seemed to even out later on. We just broke 40k and all the jokes I have about warhams are downing under the sheer panic, but I just doubled everybodies commissions so, swings and roundabouts

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looks like Wyrmwood are gearing up shortly for their modular gaming table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-lLkNB8oIM

Honestly if I had a liiiiiiittle bit more breathing room in the piggy bank I'd love to get one.
(And unsure if they'd ship a bloody table to Australia)

----------------------

Northgard: Uncharted Lands just launched if 4x + Vikings are your jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVsTxY9mOo

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That CMON Marvel thing I bought into has run into a snag, in that it's a CMON Kickstarter and a Spinmaster store game, and the store game happened first. Started showing up in Wal-Mart about a month before KS backers got it. I don't personally care, because I don't live with any other game nerds so I'm in no hurry, but obviously the backers in general are incredibly mad that the game turned up on Wal-Mart shelves sooner than they got it and cheaper than what they paid for to boot. They've blamed Wal-Mart in general and added a few apology figs and rules to the game. Kang and Venom as a villain. Overall a score as far as I'm concerned.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

That is absolutely not Wal-Mart's fault. CMON has a history of doing that poo poo. They do not give a rat's rear end about their Kickstarter backers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don't care about when retail people can get the game because they're not getting the mountains of exclusives that I'm getting. I can wait for the full all-in pledge, I have other things to play in the meantime.

The times I've hit myself in the head were for games that don't offer any exclusives over retail and then hit CoolStuffInc or Miniature Market for like 1/3 off the price with cheaper shipping. Even then you could rationalize it as supporting the creators directly if they're a small company.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oh dear. Someone got something before me. My precious e-peen.

And then the retail buyers will be pissed they can’t get all the exclusives. And on and on in an endless cycle.

I’m not ragging on you for posting it, but I just don’t get all the drama.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I'd assume not since I'm pretty happy with the whole thing. Just free extra villains as far as I'm concerned. Plus showstopper size KS comment sections are my new favorite source for aggrieved schadenfreude. I'm living the high life.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Speaking as someone who won't buy an incomplete game, I gave the gently caress up on CMON as soon as I caught on.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

moths posted:

Speaking as someone who won't buy an incomplete game, I gave the gently caress up on CMON as soon as I caught on.

Totally fair. I'm not about to back Zombicide or Khemet or whatever. I just wanted a bunch of chibi marvel figs and the game is secondary. Heck I could probably use them in that Crisis Protocol game and just say they're from the same universe as chibi wolverine from Exiles.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Doctor Zero posted:

And then the retail buyers will be pissed they can’t get all the exclusives. And on and on in an endless cycle.

Kickstarter backers pay more with no consumer protection to get a later product. Checks out.

The reason Kickstarter exists is to either fund projects that can't fund traditionally or to help companies judge the demand for a risky, novel, or otherwise unusual product. Neither of those apply to CMON. CMON is a massive company at this point, and can fund its own products. It also has absolutely no problem judging the demand for its games. The fact that they distribute to Walmart proves that. What CMON uses Kickstarter for is a preorder service where they do not have to provide refunds or product because it isn't actually a preorder service, and they ruthlessly exploit perceived scarcity to over-sell "exclusives" at jacked-up prices. They have an entire host of scummy, lovely business practices that I'm in far too good a mood to go into, and all of them poo poo all over their Kickstarter backers exclusively.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Zero posted:

It's generally considered pretty good etiquette, if you're going to lean on crowdfunding to get a product off the ground, to give the people who were willing to front you the money first crack at it instead of being like "lmao yeah you should have waited for the Walmart release sucker." As Zurai has stated as well, CMON is not actually leaning on its backers to get things off the ground either, so there's an additional element of them basically using Kickstarter as a preorder service with zero consumer protections but also no actual guarantee you'll get your thing any earlier than if you'd just waited and snagged a copy off the shelf.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

It's generally considered pretty good etiquette, if you're going to lean on crowdfunding to get a product off the ground, to give the people who were willing to front you the money first crack at it instead of being like "lmao yeah you should have waited for the Walmart release sucker." As Zurai has stated as well, CMON is not actually leaning on its backers to get things off the ground either, so there's an additional element of them basically using Kickstarter as a preorder service with zero consumer protections but also no actual guarantee you'll get your thing any earlier than if you'd just waited and snagged a copy off the shelf.

At least with CMON the "exclusives" tend to give you a whole lot more crap with your game than the retail release includes. It's still a lovely business practice, but at least it's a small step up from the kickstarters where you get an identical product 6 months later for more money.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

At least with CMON the "exclusives" tend to give you a whole lot more crap with your game than the retail release includes. It's still a lovely business practice, but at least it's a small step up from the kickstarters where you get an identical product 6 months later for more money.

I'll admit to being a little concerned about how that's going to work going forward, but yeah, something like 60% of the content is exclusive stuff I wanted anyway, so if I was 100% adamant about refusing to work with CMON I'd be trying to get Moon Knight and Howard the Duck figs on a secondary market.

My concern is just that the stuff that isn't either in one of the expansion boxes or in the core box that still isn't KSE is going to be sold somehow. So like if you look at the "Defenders" stuff in the Marvel set, you've got KSE Luke Cage, Electra, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones, plus KSE villains Kingpin and Bullseye. Not exclusive (and not in any current expansion we know about) are Daredevil and Punisher. Obviously they're not exclusive so they can be sold later, but if the way the other expansion boxes are packed (three heroes and a villain) that means they're just gonna make some DD, Punisher, and two new characters set (I dunno, Misty Knight and Jigsaw or something), relying on KS backers to just have to buy characters they already have again. Then again, that's capitalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's entirely plausible that they'll be sold individually. There are plenty of Imperial Assault and Sword & Sorcery single-character boxes on the market.