Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

jamal posted:

Or just shop by size. You can get an older set of oe 16" alloys for dirt cheap on nasioc.

You may think I am terrible for it, but I kind of want a NASCAR style rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
No, that would be awesome. Unfortunately NASCAR spares are 5x5 (5x127mm)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Diamond Racing makes steel wheels in a few different styles, including traditional NASCAR, in pretty much any bolt pattern. You can go super crazy with a custom wheel, pretty much every size, shape and bolt pattern you could want, or get a normal off the shelf one. Downside is the price, they're expensive for steelies.

edited misleading link

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 5, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

Downside is the price, they're expensive for steelies.

Expensive for steelies but cheap for custom wheels though.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Diamond Racing makes steel wheels in a few different styles, including traditional NASCAR, in pretty much any bolt pattern. You can go super crazy with a custom wheel, pretty much every size, shape and bolt pattern you could want, or get a normal off the shelf one. Downside is the price, they're expensive for steelies.

edited misleading link

It's funny, a guy on Forza beat you to the punch by like ten minutes.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Pulling the trigger tomorrow on a 2013 WRX if things work out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My friend's GC is in import tuner this month:

This made me laugh

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Gentlemen, I fear the wheel project is a bust. The 3.6 comes with bigger brakes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Thanks, Subaru, for making the easiest wheel bearing removal I've ever done. Now I just need Fedex to deliver my new assembly, as well as my pads and rotors. Ugh.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PitViper posted:

Thanks, Subaru, for making the easiest wheel bearing removal I've ever done. Now I just need Fedex to deliver my new assembly, as well as my pads and rotors. Ugh.

The unit bearing is nice. But two things with that job really piss me off. The loving bolts for the caliper bracket... WHAT THE gently caress SUBARU!! They're completely inaccessible (at least on the 00-04). horrible design.
And then that backing plate. That should be bolted on separate to the bearing. Because installing a new bearing you have to line up the backing plate and the bearing at the same time while trying to get a bolt threaded in. Of course the bolts are in a fuckoff annoying place. So yay rear unit bearings, gently caress the execution.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

My friend's GC is in import tuner this month:

This made me laugh

When the magazines come after me I'll do the same thing. You'll be the hottest thing in Mildly Modified Daily Drivers Monthly.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I want Jamal spec stickers for my rally car

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

jamal posted:

My friend's GC is in import tuner this month

Oh cool, Ryan's team! Do you have the rest of the article?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

McSpatula posted:

Oh cool, Ryan's team! Do you have the rest of the article?

Yeah but I'm not going to scan it or anything. It's in stores everywhere.

Oh and I think this is the origin of the term. Kind of funny:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673954

I even made a logo but I can't find it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 6, 2013

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

chrisgt posted:

The unit bearing is nice. But two things with that job really piss me off. The loving bolts for the caliper bracket... WHAT THE gently caress SUBARU!! They're completely inaccessible (at least on the 00-04). horrible design.
And then that backing plate. That should be bolted on separate to the bearing. Because installing a new bearing you have to line up the backing plate and the bearing at the same time while trying to get a bolt threaded in. Of course the bolts are in a fuckoff annoying place. So yay rear unit bearings, gently caress the execution.

Mine's an '05 LGT, and yea the caliper bracket bolts are poo poo for accessibility. Not really THAT bad, but I had to play with a few different extensions to get a decent range of ratchet motion. Reassembly wasn't bad, though. I stuck all 4 bolts in the holes, put the shield on, then started the bearing one bolt at a time, just a few turns each. Dinner time came before I finished, I'm going to bolt the caliper brackets on now, then reinstall the calipers and bleed the brakes.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PitViper posted:

Mine's an '05 LGT, and yea the caliper bracket bolts are poo poo for accessibility. Not really THAT bad, but I had to play with a few different extensions to get a decent range of ratchet motion. Reassembly wasn't bad, though. I stuck all 4 bolts in the holes, put the shield on, then started the bearing one bolt at a time, just a few turns each. Dinner time came before I finished, I'm going to bolt the caliper brackets on now, then reinstall the calipers and bleed the brakes.

It probably helps that yours isn't a complete ball of rust like what I work with in Maine..

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

chrisgt posted:

It probably helps that yours isn't a complete ball of rust like what I work with in Maine..

Hey, I'm in MN. We definitely do "balls of rust" as well as anyone. Not sure how many winters this one has seen, though. Definitely not driven every winter like I'm planning on doing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Something followed me home today..

I have no words for how awesome that car is. Amazing.

kaws!
May 25, 2008
Wifey has a new job across town and doesn't want the SVX as it chews fuel : ( Need to sell it and find something as cool, maybe a little less futuristic...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

kaws! posted:

Wifey has a new job across town and doesn't want the SVX as it chews fuel : ( Need to sell it and find something as cool, maybe a little less futuristic...

I'd aim for the early post WWII mentality, before them bra burning hippies gave the rest of them all those uppity, progressive, and revolutionary thoughts.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho
I'd just like to say that the front serpentine belts on my Subaru (96 legacy) are like the most cleverly designed things in the world and I wish I could hug the engineer who set that whole thing up, easiest fix ever. The guy who thought every single other part of the car you're trying to remove should have 5 easily accessible 10mms bolts and then one 10mm that is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO REACH and then one random hex screw should eat a loving bullet though Jesus Christ. Working on Subarus is like 25% "wow that's really clever, simple and neat" and 75% "why the gently caress would you do this god damnit I hate Subarus" with no in-between at all it's bizarre

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

yyyyyy posted:

Working on cars is like 25% "wow that's really clever, simple and neat" and 75% "why the gently caress would you do this god damnit I hate cars" with no in-between at all it's bizarre

Fixed.

Unless we're talking about cars that were designed to be worked on by the every-man (the 2CV; original Beetle), pretty much every car is like this. A few things that are really well thought out and easy to work on, and a shitload of stuff that makes you want to dowse the whole car in gasoline and light a match. This is the reason why every other car-person I have met is insane in some fashion. You have to be to enjoy working on cars.

VVV E: The above is all true until, like Wrar said, you figure out the trick to it. Then it's more like a 60% easy 40% infuriating. Finding the trick is usually what makes people insane.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 7, 2013

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

yyyyyy posted:

I'd just like to say that the front serpentine belts on my Subaru (96 legacy) are like the most cleverly designed things in the world and I wish I could hug the engineer who set that whole thing up, easiest fix ever. The guy who thought every single other part of the car you're trying to remove should have 5 easily accessible 10mms bolts and then one 10mm that is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO REACH and then one random hex screw should eat a loving bullet though Jesus Christ. Working on Subarus is like 25% "wow that's really clever, simple and neat" and 75% "why the gently caress would you do this god damnit I hate Subarus" with no in-between at all it's bizarre
Uh you haven't wrenched much on not Subarus have you. 90% is easy. The only easier car I've had was a Miata.

Generally speaking, if you are having trouble with a Subaru you haven't figured out whatever trick it is to get the job done easily.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Wrar posted:

Uh you haven't wrenched much on not Subarus have you. 90% is easy. The only easier car I've had was a Miata.

Generally speaking, if you are having trouble with a Subaru you haven't figured out whatever trick it is to get the job done easily.

This. Subarus are a loving cake coming from mustangs and jeeps. I did sparkplugs on an LT1 4th gen camaro ONCE. Never again. Subarus for days.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

This. Subarus are a loving cake coming from mustangs and jeeps. I did sparkplugs on an LT1 4th gen camaro ONCE. Never again. Subarus for days.

I can't agree with this enough. I've wrenched on various domestic makes for years, only recently owning a Subaru. Aside from the rust welding you see on all cars in the northeast, it has been moderately easier performing work on the Subaru than other vehicles I've owned.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Put my summer tires on this weekend and noticed the factory end link bushing rubber looks pretty sad. I have the stock sway bar, any recommendations for end link kits? I'm thinking Whiteline. Anything else I should do while I'm in there? My Forester has a completely stock suspension setup. It's my daily ride and I don't do anything like autocross.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

Put my summer tires on this weekend and noticed the factory end link bushing rubber looks pretty sad. I have the stock sway bar, any recommendations for end link kits? I'm thinking Whiteline. Anything else I should do while I'm in there? My Forester has a completely stock suspension setup. It's my daily ride and I don't do anything like autocross.

If you want to go cheap, just get cheapos off rock auto.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm more concerned with quality over cost. It doesn't look like a difficult job, but I don't want to have to get under there every other week to re torque stuff.

Did a little research this morning and ordered some Rallitek end links. Was just going to do the fronts but since shipping was $20 I bought rears too so I didn't end up paying it twice if I decided to replace them in the future.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would have suggested stock ones too. Look how long your originals lasted that you never had to touch. Now you get stiffer bushings and a solid link? :toot: That translates to no noticeable difference on a stock car. Cancel it and save :20bux:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
How much clearance do I need between my Header and my Skidplate? I have the primitive racing plate, but I think it hangs too low.

daslog fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 9, 2013

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

daslog posted:

How much clearance do I need between my Header and my Skidplate? I have the primitive racing plate, but I think it hangs too low.

Because of the movement of flat fours the headers tend to extend out so it may rub without proper clearance.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yakattak posted:

Because of the movement of flat fours the headers tend to extend out so it may rub without proper clearance.

And the proper clearance is?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That seems like it would be enough clearance for me assuming the back side of the skidplate is bolted down.

Try putting some chalk or something on the inside of the skidplate and then driving around like a maniac and seeing if any of it rubs off on the header.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That seems like it would be enough clearance for me assuming the back side of the skidplate is bolted down.

Try putting some chalk or something on the inside of the skidplate and then driving around like a maniac and seeing if any of it rubs off on the header.

I want to reduce the distance to the absolute minimum between the Header and plate. I do agree that there is currently more than enough clearance now, but I would like the skid plate to be higher off the ground.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

daslog posted:

Depends on the situation and size of the headers but I'd do the chalk idea until you get it dialed in. Just do a couple WOT pulls to make sure.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yakattak posted:

Depends on the situation and size of the headers but I'd do the chalk idea until you get it dialed in. Just do a couple WOT pulls to make sure.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

daslog posted:

I'd rig something up with washers and then add/remove them as you hear it bang or see scratches. I think it's the perspective but it does look low.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'll be curious to see what this thing can really do once it hits 1k on the clock and I can turn it loose.

It's bloody loving fast short shifting it at 4k now. :getin:

God I love that cluster.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 9, 2013

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

I'll be curious to see what this thing can really do once it hits 1k on the clock and I can turn it loose.

It's bloody loving fast short shorting it at 4k now. :getin:

God I love that cluster.
I have the same picture from back in 2010 (12 miles on the odo).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

daslog posted:

Depends. Plan on hitting anything and bending the skidplate? 1 cm should be enough, depending on the quality of your engine mounts.

That plate really looks like it's going to have clearance problems on the headers and always be too low.