Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011

explosivo posted:

Is there anyone better than me at AAH who can tell me what it means when I see people talking about solo builds like Solo Vexx? Is there some benefit to putting only one person on a team for as long as possible that I don't know about or something?

I'm pretty confident they mean Vexx + support characters like V with her +gold ability, but Vexx is your main gold dump and damage dealer due to her massively reduced upgrade costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pile of brown posted:

Have you tried/how did you like Summoner's War?
I enjoyed it a lot, but the time investment was too high for me to maintain, I just don't have much time for gaming these days.

i liked that one but the out-of-game UI was too fiddly for me. maybe I'm just bad at games with lots of gear/runes like that. but i always felt like i had to juggle multiple menus to check things and make one decision. i also felt like if i kept playing, i would eventually have to start writing stuff down on paper to remember my equpped runes as well as the runes i had in my inventory

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

I'm pretty confident they mean Vexx + support characters like V with her +gold ability, but Vexx is your main gold dump and damage dealer due to her massively reduced upgrade costs.

Pretty much that. I did that for a while, then Boomer carried me for a long while; once he gets his skills leveled, he's a monster. Lenny has possibilities in the first 500 levels or so; crank up his ultimate and his damage-boost-over-90% skill, then spam it. Then I got Uno and that combination of Boomer and Uno became my combo of choice, and I keep flipping back and forth on which one is my primary damage dealer. The last quest I cleared was level 860, and Boomer / Uno / Vexx / V / * is my go-to squad, Vexx and V just there for the gold powerups. Redroh can speed up gold big time once you've leveled up Goblin Lure, Belly has some staying power to let Uno feed off of him, and Tam's damage-boost buff rocks for pushing to new thresholds.

Also, yes, crank up the artifacts. Your biggest goal should be to max out Prestige Reward at 1.5K%, then stuff like Dragon Spawn Rate, Hero/Ring Upgrade Cost, Skills Level Req. and Hero Revive Time. I do not know when any of those unlock as artifact attributes, sorry.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Are there any goon guilds for Legends of Solgard out there?

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re AAH: Solo Uno is super viable, got me from like 500 to 700. He gets a damage boost when allies die and a shield when they revive. Bring V & Vexx for $, the cannon guy for the debuff on enemies, and Jim for the extra shields he gives out.

Although I think someone else might be better for that last slot now that I'm thinking about it, haven't played the game in a bit and I copied that strat from some guide and never bothered to tinker with it. Might hop back in to investigate.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So do you just stop leveling the other dudes you bring in once you have the skills you want for them and focus entirely on your damage dealer? The way I've been playing is evenly allocating XP across everybody, basically leveling each person one at a time.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

So do you just stop leveling the other dudes you bring in once you have the skills you want for them and focus entirely on your damage dealer? The way I've been playing is evenly allocating XP across everybody, basically leveling each person one at a time.

You've got the right idea. Evenly leveling is perfectly fine for the early/mid game, but as you get the other characters and abilities it becomes less efficient. Eventually you won't have to level the other characters at all to get the abilities you want because of all the free skill points that get thrown at you. And because underleveled characters die and resurrect so much faster, they give Uno those infinite buffs to keep him going strong. Remember to turn Lazy Finger OFF at that point, so you don't pointlessly level those fools.

Disclaimer that I didn't try any other solo builds before Uno so I don't know how effective they'll be. I did run Wendel+Hilt for a little bit, leveling them together for their "extra ring damage when alive" abilities, which paired pretty well with the lightning ring and its auto-attack runes. I maybe recall running the cannon guy solo for a little while, but I can't really remember how that went.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I am thinking of buying This War of Mine but can't decide to buy it for my phone or pc. My phone is rather old though (HTC M8s) but will be replaced in some weeks. I need goons to let me make important life decisions

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
PC

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Absolutely PC. That game is a work of art.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that game benefits from a big screen

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Ok thanks guys, pc version it is!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There's a 1/2 ap usage event going on in SINoALICE right now to celebrate Alladin being added to the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I keep seeing ads for games that look like they're just the Age of Empire scenario editor and then the store page reveals they never are.

I would legit pay a couple bucks to just be like "who would win 100 cavalry or 100 catapults" and watch it play out.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
There are pc "games" like that called battle simulator, bunch of YouTube's on stuff like that and for like StarCraft units and such.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

There are pc "games" like that called battle simulator, bunch of YouTube's on stuff like that and for like StarCraft units and such.

Well yeah and I still have age of empires and stuff. But it brings back memories of elementary school doing goofy stuff because why not

The "best" was the time I played a bunch of games of Age of Empire 2 using exclusively castles to kill the baddies

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
King of Dragon Pass is half off for a few days, apparently.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there something I'm not getting about the Vexx builds for AAH? The idea is that you should be able to climb from ~50 to ~300 by focusing on her level 12 skill -- but the gold required to get her to level 12 is virtually unobtainable until the early/mid 100s (I'm basing this off of the fact that I'm close to 110 and only have her at level 11).

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Montalvo posted:

Is there something I'm not getting about the Vexx builds for AAH? The idea is that you should be able to climb from ~50 to ~300 by focusing on her level 12 skill -- but the gold required to get her to level 12 is virtually unobtainable until the early/mid 100s (I'm basing this off of the fact that I'm close to 110 and only have her at level 11).

There's an artifact quality you can snag that lowers skill level requirements by up to 8, which is what makes that build commendable. I didn't get that myself until I'd already reached the recommended point to switch to a Lenny build, but Lenny doesn't shine brighter than Vexx without a lot of skill points so it's hard to say you'll have an easier time focusing on him than Vexx until you chance into the part that makes her build work more effectively. I absolutely did slug it out regardless on that build without any skill requirement reduction, it just took more and higher quality artifacts than it might have otherwise.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

There is a slay the spire clones. By clone I mean a near 1 for 1 copy. Literally the only difference I can tell right now is you roll for movements spaces. The art is actually really nice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zloong.eu.mszy

I would feel bad but slay the spire hasn't made a mobile version yet.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Shwqa posted:

There is a slay the spire clones. By clone I mean a near 1 for 1 copy. Literally the only difference I can tell right now is you roll for movements spaces. The art is actually really nice.

at least they put in a ~touch~ more effort than the other Slay the Spire rip-off

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Shwqa posted:

...So, should we try it? Is it fun?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm always hesitant about playing games like that. On one hand, yeah Slay the Spire isn't on mobile and I'm not going to play it on PC (not the kind of game I'd want to sit down at a computer for) so whatever. On the other hand, it supports a company (because the game almost certainly has ads) that benefits from copying poo poo and, probably in many cases, draws people away from getting StS on PC, people that actually would get it but now there's a free version so why would they?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Morpheus posted:

I'm always hesitant about playing games like that. On one hand, yeah Slay the Spire isn't on mobile and I'm not going to play it on PC (not the kind of game I'd want to sit down at a computer for) so whatever. On the other hand, it supports a company (because the game almost certainly has ads) that benefits from copying poo poo and, probably in many cases, draws people away from getting StS on PC, people that actually would get it but now there's a free version so why would they?

They've made a game, they deserve ad revenue. It's not like they've stolen some code or assets, it's their own game that just uses the same core mechanics.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Paladinus posted:

They've made a game, they deserve ad revenue.

no, a person doesn't "deserve" money just because they made something

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This is heading in a stupid direction. Let's all just agree that Slay the Spire is boring uninspired trash and move on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no, a person doesn't "deserve" money just because they made something

Does anyone truly deserve money, when you get to the bottom of it? Makes you think, I guess.

It's not one of those scam apps, so if you're playing their game (and possibly even enjoying it), I see no reason why they shouldn't put ads in it, if that's how they choose to monetise. I prefer premium games with free demos without ads, but in terms of monetisation, ads are much less evil than stamina + loot boxes, especially if you can buy no-ads in the app.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Morpheus posted:

As far as I can tell the game doesn't have ads. But you need to pay to unlock the other characters and the in game currency is gained each boss kill.

There are apparently other game modes where you play with other players or something but I haven't unlocked it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Paladinus posted:

They've made a game, they deserve ad revenue. It's not like they've stolen some code or assets, it's their own game that just uses the same core mechanics.

This is a really poor argument - if all you think goes into making a game is 'art' and 'code', and there's no testing or balancing or designs and redesigns of mechanics, then you have a very narrow view on how games are made. It'd be fine if the game wasn't, from what I've heard, nearly a 1:1 recreation.

Shwqa posted:

As far as I can tell the game doesn't have ads. But you need to pay to unlock the other characters and the in game currency is gained each boss kill.

There are apparently other game modes where you play with other players or something but I haven't unlocked it.

Well that's a little better to hear at least.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I like how the screenshots don't give me any inkling at all that this is like Slay the Spire... or really like anything but some type of trading card game.

I loving love appstore screenshots.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Deakul posted:

I like how the screenshots don't give me any inkling at all that this is like Slay the Spire... or really like anything but some type of trading card game.

I loving love appstore screenshots.

Yeah they are bit confusing. The 2nd picture is a card. The 3rd is the map. And the 4th is the combat screen.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

You can now pre-register for Teslagrad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone know of an Invisible Inc clone? I'd play that game until the end of time if it existed. I know it's out on iOS tablet, but that's not currently an option for me :negative:

That game is so good. So incredibly good.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Are there any RPGs with a Job System that aren't Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Life is Strange: Before the Storm should be out sometime today. Apparently it went live a little prematurely hence the listing being available but not downloadable yet.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The slay the spire clone is Engrish as gently caress and either I'm super bad or it's hard to win, I've only gotten to the final boss once in 5 tries and he has 4x my hp and I have no way to recover hp during combat, or do more than about 5% dmg to him per turn. I can't seem to save any progress without defeating the boss for the next run, either in the form of xp or items (cards?).

PS never played slay the spire.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

pile of brown posted:

The slay the spire clone is Engrish as gently caress and either I'm super bad or it's hard to win, I've only gotten to the final boss once in 5 tries and he has 4x my hp and I have no way to recover hp during combat, or do more than about 5% dmg to him per turn. I can't seem to save any progress without defeating the boss for the next run, either in the form of xp or items (cards?).

PS never played slay the spire.

F2P, Chinese developer, in-app purchase, wholesale copy of another (paid, not F2P) game's mechanics are generally warning signs to stay clear.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i didn't install the Hong Kong slay the spire clone because the permissions chart was huge as heck. the app doesn't request it upon initial download but any basic game app that says it might request:
- GPS location
- microphone input
- camera and video access
- account discovery on my device
- audio recording
- the ability to reroute outgoing calls
- phone number fingerprinting
- full USB/card filesystem access
- basically every other Android permission

is not an app i wish to install :)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

oh but they "deserve" financial revenue. my bad :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh but they "deserve" financial revenue. my bad :rolleyes:

If you install and play it, then yes. It's pretty easy.