Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Is there a sort of time limit I should be spending at the gym? If I eat a small meal before heading out I seem to be able to spend about 2.5 hours there. Granted, I'm not lifting every moment inside, but I go through the 5x5 in an hour, spending anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours doing core work and other exercises afterwards. I'm also there 5 days a week... should I be resting more?

I'm rarely there more than 45 minutes. Maybe an hour on deadlift day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So I do some KB (except the American swing, I abandoned that poo poo) at my gym already, but I'd like to have one for work to just do some gently caress around sets every couple of hours. I want one bell I know I can TGU (35), one bell I know I can press (53) and one bell for heavy swings (70) which says to me "you should get a set" but if you think the best move is just to do 100 swings every day then gently caress it I'll get a 53 and go nuts.

If you can press 53 just buy the 70.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a sort of time limit I should be spending at the gym?

No.

Listen to your body.

The most I’ll spend is 90-100 min.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bomb posted:

My big lift progression went way up when I stopped training them regularly and swapped to heavy kettlebell conditioning 6-7 days a week. My deadlift went from 315 to 500 in the last 9 months without doing a single deadlift. My OHP went from 130 to 190 and my bench went from 155 to 230. I'm also squatting 425 at this point and was stuck at 320 when I last trained squats 3x a week.

Are you following a program?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Plates stayed on.

Is there a sort of time limit I should be spending at the gym? If I eat a small meal before heading out I seem to be able to spend about 2.5 hours there. Granted, I'm not lifting every moment inside, but I go through the 5x5 in an hour, spending anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours doing core work and other exercises afterwards. I'm also there 5 days a week... should I be resting more?

You might get better results from working out with a higher training density, but if you're making progress, not overly stressed, and you have the time to do this, then it's a reasonable option.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Are you following a program?

Enter the Kettlebell but I posted my programming a couple pages back if you also want to do some barbell stuff.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

bomb posted:

Enter the Kettlebell but I posted my programming a couple pages back if you also want to do some barbell stuff.

I've been meaning to say I appreciate your early 90s Sting avatar. Those shades tho.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

I've been meaning to say I appreciate your early 90s Sting avatar. Those shades tho.

Someone bought it for me in the avatar thread, it’s good

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Shorter workouts with shorter rest periods seem a lot more fun to me lately, but the amount of sweat that escapes my body is concerning

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No but you'll probably get burnt out and stop going after doing that for a few months.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

soy posted:

No but you'll probably get burnt out and stop going after doing that for a few months.

It's been 6 and I'm really only enjoying it more, but it won't be sustainable come the next semester, my schedule becomes pretty variable.

Thanks for the input folks!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Eh you don't really get burned out if you enjoy it. I have had a similar schedule for a few years now - but nowadays I try to shorten it to maybe just 1 hour and 20 minutes or something so I have some time over in the day to do, well, anything else after work

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I bought musclesworked.com and I'm not sure what to do with it outside of cloning https://exrx.net and making it prettier.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bomb posted:

I bought musclesworked.com and I'm not sure what to do with it outside of cloning https://exrx.net and making it prettier.

A members-only section where it's nude exrx.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

A members-only section where it's nude exrx.

thesteamroom.musclesworked.com

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

bomb posted:

True story I PT'd my left shoulder with getups. Had a bad bike wreck a few years back that messed with soft tissue, it's aces now.

Getups will also give you large obliques.

I ordered an 88lb and 106lb kettlebell today. My UPS guy is going to hate me.

I will give this a try. I hosed my shoulder up pretty bad at BJJ in February and I haven't been able to press more than 30 pounds with that arm, can't do dips either but everything else is pain free. Thanks for the idea.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
It probably wouldn't hurt to add some swings into my workouts too. This thread is useful!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://i.imgur.com/ZZ1dUaJ.gifv

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I wonder if she quit after that or if she shrugged it off and still got the work in.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Something about lever arm being in the wrong place here rip

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

The longer I watch that the more confused I get about what she was planning to do. Some bicep curls? Was she going full Dom Mazetti?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Hip thrusts/glute bridges

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Cosmik Slop posted:

The longer I watch that the more confused I get about what she was planning to do. Some bicep curls? Was she going full Dom Mazetti?

This is the first thing I thought as well.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Everyone doing hip thrusts these days... Is it some booty growing IG influencer thing or is there actually a lot of benefit to it?

Got on board the Turkish get up train today woooowoooo. Got up with a 103lb barbell for a PR (only 93 on my dumb weak left side)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It never hurts to have a stronger rear end.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

canadianclassic posted:

Everyone doing hip thrusts these days... Is it some booty growing IG influencer thing or is there actually a lot of benefit to it?

Got on board the Turkish get up train today woooowoooo. Got up with a 103lb barbell for a PR (only 93 on my dumb weak left side)

Did you get terrified looks?

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I don't think I'd try barbell getups in my big box gym lmao. Imagine the injuries when some idiot with no situational awareness walks into the bar mid-lift

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?

No more than an hour and that's still saying a lot. Especially if you are going 5 days a week. Usually, 5 mins treadmill warm up or whatever and then hit the weights for 45- 40 mins. Monday chest, Tueday back/abs, weds rest, thurs shoulder/abs, friday arms, saturday rest and sunday legs/abs is just an example what your works out should be when starting out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm gonna have to start doing get ups even though there really isn't room for it in my apartment. Appreciate bomb for having turned the thread around on KBs.

Did bench press again yesterday after a longish break. There is something about the movements I do at work that stresses out my left shoulder joint so it hurts while pressing, and also makes it way weaker than the right when doing db work of any kind.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

wca posted:

No more than an hour and that's still saying a lot. Especially if you are going 5 days a week. Usually, 5 mins treadmill warm up or whatever and then hit the weights for 45- 40 mins. Monday chest, Tueday back/abs, weds rest, thurs shoulder/abs, friday arms, saturday rest and sunday legs/abs is just an example what your works out should be when starting out.

Close! Your workouts should be monday chest/tris/lats, tuesday should be chest/shoulders/traps, weds tris, thurs chest/shoulders, friday chest/tris/lats, saturday bis, sunday shoulders/tris/traps. And your workouts should take 3 hours each cheers

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
going out to buy kettlebells. these had better be as good as this thread keeps insisting.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The press while laying on a bench.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Russian wrestlers and strongmen used to them for thousands of years so eat more lard if they don't feel quite right at first.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

bomb posted:

Did you get terrified looks?

Lots of people do really weird poo poo at my gym so don't think there's a lot of weird looks. Whenever i do heavy TGU the worst (best?) i get is someone telling me it's really impressive and i invariably end up talking to them for like 5 minutes while i try ending the conversation

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

ham_sanitizer posted:

going out to buy kettlebells. these had better be as good as this thread keeps insisting.

theyre prob not

doverhog
May 31, 2013

They are like any form of exercise, they cannot fail, but you can fail them.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

It's been 6 and I'm really only enjoying it more, but it won't be sustainable come the next semester, my schedule becomes pretty variable.

Thanks for the input folks!

I know you're on the fitness train and loving life but an hour for core work has gotta be like 90% wasted time. If you dig it, great,I just feel like your time could be used more effectively!! Enjoyment is obviously #1 though

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

ham_sanitizer posted:

They are a bit different from barbell training but I find them enjoyable.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Flipgrip posted:

I know you're on the fitness train and loving life but an hour for core work has gotta be like 90% wasted time. If you dig it, great,I just feel like your time could be used more effectively!! Enjoyment is obviously #1 though

I'm keen for efficiency so I appreciate the input. I wasn't especially clear and 2.5 is a generous estimate of my max amount of time, most of the days clock in at 2. FWIW, the general breakdown is:
1 hour for the 5x5 (which sucks and I'm gonna leave it for a different program)
.5 hour for core
.5 hour for curls, dips, pulldowns, whatever I think I've missed and would like to include

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Ah yeah I missed the "other exercises" part of your sentence.

5 x 5 is dog poo poo, that is correct. If you're doing 2 hour shifts anyways you might as well find something more focused to do. If your hour long program needs an hour of accessory work, it's not sufficient imo