Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saint Freak posted:

Fortune teller is number 1 priority A+++

I've literally never seen Ohya's skill work. I have to imagine it's a mistranslation because I can literally just go rack up alert level even though it says I can't.

It just makes it go up slower. At max it only goes up by like half as much when you get spotted and completely depletes overnight.

Its worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

That's also true. Locked chests are sort of a "might as well grab them if you have the lockpicks but don't sweat it if you don't" thing.

Crafting infiltration tools is the easiest way to raise Proficiency for most of the game so you should definitely do it, but don't worry about it if you don't have enough to open all the locked chests or anything like that.

Because it's so good on your proficiency stat, you're also going to have so many past dungeon 2 or 3 if you're trying to max that stat that you're going end up with so many lock picks you might not ever run out anyway and you definitely won't need the unbreakable one (which doesn't carry over to NG+ for those who don't know)

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Few quick questions since I've been mostly avoiding this thread so I can enjoy my first persona game blind:
* How do you use the guaranteed down gun skill you get from the tower arcana? Haven't been able to figure that out.

* Is there any guide as to which each of the persona stats do? I.e. Strength is pretty self-explanatory but does endurance cover all damage or just physical? Is agility purely turn order or does it affect dodging as well? Is luck 100% just for critical hits or does it cover things like battle rewards, item drops, etc?

* Is there any guide to which fusions of persona's arcana leads to which arcana as a result? Or just a pure guide of "fuse X and Y to get Z?" Starting to realize that I'm missing out on a few advanced fusions because I didn't realize I should be nabbing at least one of every persona that appears in a palace before finishing it.

* The reporter woman (Ohya?) and the fortune teller, am I right in assuming that their co-op links are kind of useless? I'm about 40% of the way through both and neither of them have impressed me.
Edit: Actually the fortune teller's social stat/ money boost, how effective are those? Is getting the money boost and then doing a palace grind session worth it to stock up on cash?

Rank 7 of Fortune is a godsend. It might be the difference between maxing all links or not for you depending on how you play. Ohya's is literally useless.

https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/#/list

This calculator will show you what persona makes what, but the digital instruction manual has a arcana chart that tells you what you want to know specifically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Because it's so good on your proficiency stat, you're also going to have so many past dungeon 2 or 3 if you're trying to max that stat that you're going end up with so many lock picks you might not ever run out anyway and you definitely won't need the unbreakable one (which doesn't carry over to NG+ for those who don't know)

I crafted the Eternal Lockpick towards the end because I had the materials for it but I never ran out of regular lockpicks by that point anyway so I'm not even sure why it exists :v:

It really should've carried over to NG+ because there's just no reason for it to exist otherwise. Not that you really need anything in any chest, locked or otherwise, in NG+.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
For the special gun skill, I think you also have to finish the Mementos request that requires you to use it before you can choose to use it whenever.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Few quick questions since I've been mostly avoiding this thread so I can enjoy my first persona game blind:
* How do you use the guaranteed down gun skill you get from the tower arcana? Haven't been able to figure that out.
When you select the gun it'll give you a prompt to fire with square instead of cross.

* Is there any guide as to which each of the persona stats do? I.e. Strength is pretty self-explanatory but does endurance cover all damage or just physical? Is agility purely turn order or does it affect dodging as well? Is luck 100% just for critical hits or does it cover things like battle rewards, item drops, etc?
I believe Endurance affects all damage types, agility affects turn order, accuracy and evasion, and luck affects criticals, ailment success rates and some drop rates.

* Is there any guide to which fusions of persona's arcana leads to which arcana as a result? Or just a pure guide of "fuse X and Y to get Z?"
There's an arcana fusion chart in the online manual (http://atlus.com/persona5/manual/ps4/img/051.jpg) and websites that will do the exact XYZ version for you.

* The reporter woman (Ohya?) and the fortune teller, am I right in assuming that their co-op links are kind of useless? I'm about 40% of the way through both and neither of them have impressed me.
Edit: Actually the fortune teller's social stat/ money boost, how effective are those? Is getting the money boost and then doing a palace grind session worth it to stock up on cash?
The fortune teller's social stat and affection boosts are both very good. The money boost is worth getting if you're dungeoning anyway as it will usually pay for itself, but in general there are much better money-making options available even without going into the mechanics-abusing options.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I forgot that they put Haru in that chart.

What a cute chart. I love that chart. Great chart. Haruuuuu

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

:anime:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I love that you can change your party in-battle in this one. I don't understand how changing party members in-battle didn't just become completely standard for turn-based RPGs after Final Fantasy X. That certainly wasn't the first JRPG to do it but it was the first really high-profile one and it's just plain a really good system, especially when (like in Persona) you're supposed to assume everyone's with you all the time anyway.

It's good :thumbsup:

I just wish I could carry over Star rank 10 in NG+ because apparently that's not what her confidant key item does :smith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It gives you Touryou, which I think is the run away instantly thing.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Moon Rank 10, Star Rank 1 (maybe also 10), and Baton Pass will be part of the base battle system in Persona 5 Portable FES The Crimson

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It gives you Touryou, which I think is the run away instantly thing.

Yeah, which is also really good so I'm not too upset to have it. Also totally obsoletes Vanish Balls which is fine by me.

Instant Grat posted:

Moon Rank 10, Star Rank 1 (maybe also 10), and Baton Pass will be part of the base battle system in Persona 5 Portable FES The Crimson

I sure hope so. I guess I wouldn't mind if like Moon rank 5 was the baseline one (reserve party members get almost full EXP) because it was still enough to keep everyone within a couple levels of each other and I can't think of anything else good for Moon to give. On the other hand, just making Moon rank 10 baseline and giving Moon a couple more "boosts battle rewards" things would be perfectly good, too.

I don't really mind Star rank 1 requiring that you start the confidant but it might as well be baseline. You can unlock her shortly after Makoto joins and there's not too much of a need for in-battle switching before then, so it's not a huge deal. But again, it might as well be baseline anyway.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I think the game's biggest surprise to me is (palace 7 spoilers) Goro's death and the fact that he stays dead. Going into Palace 7, I was totally expecting us to change Shido's heart and then the confrontation with Goro to lead us to the true ending. Maybe something like "goro was possessed by an evil god the whole time" - leading to a boss fight against possessed goro, then a boss fight against the true god, and then at the end he's still alive and gets imprisoned or something. Totally wasn't expecting him to legit die and stay dead.

Anyone who thinks P4 is a better game than this is loving crazy. Also, the lead up to the true ending is about 100x better than P4's.

Akechi isn't dead because he died to 5 mobs?! Meanwhile, he solo'd the entirety of the 6th dungeon with Joker. I will admit his boss battle was the most challenging because he kept aiming for Joker and no one else. Also, it wouldn't make sense since he has the Wild Card ability too...

Not to mention he won top popularity poll and he's probably the most "canon" pairing due to all their interactions. I did find it amusing how everyone forgets him right after his final battle. Look at adachi who I never liked got his own SL/endings in P4:G.

Akechi-kun will be back. Mark my words.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Various Helpful People posted:

Words
Thanks for the help. I guess I've kind of been neglecting using the fortune teller's boosts. Time to fix that!

Saint Freak posted:

Fortune teller is number 1 priority A+++

I've literally never seen Ohya's skill work. I have to imagine it's a mistranslation because I can literally just go rack up alert level even though it says I can't.
I don't think it prevents the alert level from rising, I think it just reduces the amount it rises each time you're spotted. Almost certain you start at +15% per spotted, and having the first level of her ability seems to have reduced that to +12%. so yeah, not hugely useful.

Also, since I've popped into the thread:
Goddamn, Futaba, calling someone an NPC is an insult that sounds stupid on paper but that was fuckin' devastating and hilarious. Had to stop playing for a few seconds because I started laughing so hard. Maybe it's just because I've hated Mishima since literally his first appearance.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Also, since I've popped into the thread:
Goddamn, Futaba, calling someone an NPC is an insult that sounds stupid on paper but that was fuckin' devastating and hilarious. Had to stop playing for a few seconds because I started laughing so hard. Maybe it's just because I've hated Mishima since literally his first appearance.
this interaction was loving perfect, Futaba killed it. Mishima is so stoked to talk to a Nerd Girl and Futaba just calls him the wrong name twice, insults him for using -chan speak and says he has no interesting qualities.

Felt like I witnessed a justifiable murder after that scene, savage indeed

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I don't think it prevents the alert level from rising, I think it just reduces the amount it rises each time you're spotted. Almost certain you start at +15% per spotted, and having the first level of her ability seems to have reduced that to +12%. so yeah, not hugely useful.

It says it does; it does not work.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
The way that is worded it almost makes it seem like it is saying that the security level will reset to 0 instead of going up overnight, but it never goes up overnight to begin with ever does it? I can't say I ever left a palace with a security level, in general that mechanic had pretty much no impact whatsoever on my entire playthrough. Anytime I got it up to like 30% I would just kill 3 guys and be back to 0 again.

I thought it was really weird too how you can go into the palace after sending the card and increasing to max security and just kill shadows to reduce it back to 0 again...Like shouldn't it not work the last day cause you KNOW they are coming?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Scorps posted:

The way that is worded it almost makes it seem like it is saying that the security level will reset to 0 instead of going up overnight, but it never goes up overnight to begin with ever does it? I can't say I ever left a palace with a security level, in general that mechanic had pretty much no impact whatsoever on my entire playthrough. Anytime I got it up to like 30% I would just kill 3 guys and be back to 0 again.

It means that it drops all the way back to 0 over one night. Normally it goes down by some percentage, rather than all the way, I believe. But nobody notices, because nobody cares about Security Level.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Scorps posted:

I thought it was really weird too how you can go into the palace after sending the card and increasing to max security and just kill shadows to reduce it back to 0 again...Like shouldn't it not work the last day cause you KNOW they are coming?

The only time I think it goes up overnight is when you send a calling card which sets it to 99% which this also doesn't effect. It doesn't do anything that I can tell. Someone will have to post what the Japanese says I guess.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I do wonder if leaving palaces to lower security was a bigger thing earlier in development, because I doubt, at least in this thread, that anyone has had to do that.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

It says it does; it does not work.

I could only speak for the lower levels of her confidant. If that's the level ten skill and it still increases then yeah, that's a translation fuckup or something.

Moltrey posted:

this interaction was loving perfect, Futaba killed it. Mishima is so stoked to talk to a Nerd Girl and Futaba just calls him the wrong name twice, insults him for using -chan speak and says he has no interesting qualities.

Felt like I witnessed a justifiable murder after that scene, savage indeed
If there ends up being a Persona 5: Golden or something like that, I hope at least 25% of the new content is just other characters dunking on Mishima.
Fakeedit: And editing Ryuji's dialogue so that he can actually say "gently caress" instead of using "effing" like a mid-2000's preteen.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

If there ends up being a Persona 5: Golden or something like that, I hope at least 25% of the new content is just other characters dunking on Mishima.
Fakeedit: And editing Ryuji's dialogue so that he can actually say "gently caress" instead of using "effing" like a mid-2000's preteen.

Ryuji dropping swears left right and center but drawing the line at "gently caress" is the best thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ROFL Octopus posted:

I do wonder if leaving palaces to lower security was a bigger thing earlier in development, because I doubt, at least in this thread, that anyone has had to do that.

I had some issues in Palace 1 where I let it get to 80% or so in the cathedral/gym where there's no cover and the shadows spawn in after a midboss.

But then you just ambush a few times and it just goes away. I wonder if, initially, you either couldn't lower it or Ohya's ability let you lower it. That would be insanely punishing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ryuji dropping swears left right and center but drawing the line at "gently caress" is the best thing.

He does actually bust out a fully spelled-out "gently caress" in a phone chat but I don't think he ever says it aloud and I agree that it's great

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I feel like security level was supposed to be a tiredness-like mechanic to stop you doing a dungeon in one day, and if it was effective it could have made Ohya a Fox-level must-have confidant.

But at some point they must have gutted it and made security completely trivial.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I could only speak for the lower levels of her confidant. If that's the level ten skill and it still increases then yeah, that's a translation fuckup or something.

Ryuji says gently caress sometimes!

He just says effing a lot because although he is a vulgar boy, he is deep down a nice lad who loves his Mum and wouldn't want to disappoint her with such a filthy mouth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

geri_khan posted:

I feel like security level was supposed to be a tiredness-like mechanic to stop you doing a dungeon in one day, and if it was effective it could have made Ohya a Fox-level must-have confidant.

But at some point they must have gutted it and made security completely trivial.

Yeah, it comes across that way. Ultimately I'm glad that it's not a huge deal. Playing on Hard, failing to ambush an enemy was punishing enough as it is--security level being a non-issue is fine because I still felt strongly incentivized to ambush enemies every single time.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I can easily believe that security level lowering when you ambush was a late addition to the game. It seems like there might have been a lot of changes like that that were made late in development - like the town social links no longer being breakable - so it seems like someone may have looked at the game close to release and said "this is too punishing, we need to ease up".

Which is a good thing. The difficulty of maxing all links in P5 feels about right to me; you can absolutely do it without a guide but it's not automatic. A big improvement from P3 and P4 where you had almost no leeway.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
What's this about breaking town social links?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Persona 4 has almost the same amount of leeway as this game (and Golden apparently has even more). Persona 3 gives you like three days, sure, but Persona 4 gives you about a month of free time if you're optimal but gently caress all to do with it at that point.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

Ă¢Â€Â• Corey Dostoyevsky
*Reads Game Secrets*
Mona: Awesome! You'll kick rear end at games now!

*Uses techniques in Game Secrets*
Mona: lmao you bitchass scrub

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zore posted:

What's this about breaking town social links?
There're assets on the game disc for "doubt" and "broken" versions of the Fortune, Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, Devil, Tower, Star and Sun links. Remember how when you get a text from one of those people Morgana says "you should make sure you respond to their invitations until you gain their trust"? At one point there was probably a reason why he said that.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NRVNQSR posted:

There're assets on the game disc for "doubt" and "broken" versions of the Fortune, Hanged Man, Death, Temperance, Devil, Tower, Star and Sun links. Remember how when you get a text from one of those people Morgana says "you should make sure you respond to their invitations until you gain their trust"? At one point there was probably a reason why he said that.

:yikes:

I don't want to imagine a world where the Sun link isn't the best in every possible way.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

:yikes:

I don't want to imagine a world where the Sun link isn't the best in every possible way.

Hey, if you make a deal with him then ignore him for the entire campaign season then you probably deserve whatever you get.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I would like more events with Yusuke.

The entire maze/mice puzzle in 7th palace is just an entirety of suffering for 5 floors compared the prior palace. It was interesting for the 2x bosses but by the time I realized each floor plan had the same design I wanted to turn off the PS4.

Currently, I'm sweeping up Memento requests and then taking a huge break because I messed up SL ranks but it's too late now. Also, what's with requiring MAX stats to start SL esp Haru? Welp, I guess I'll go with Joker soloing the entire game now. So far most challenging battle would be vs Akechi since he aimed at Joker for 90% and I didn't get to regen my SP since I thought it was the end of the floor.

I will probably write a review sometime later this week when I have free time and organized my thoughts. It's a bit weird how much there's untranslated JPN in the game when I'm playing with subs but yeah.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 8, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

When Yusuke was first introduced I thought I would never warm to him but by the end he was best bot by a wide mile.

That part in the ending cutscene where he tries to leave the moving bus was hilarious and probably my favourite moment in the game.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I just got to the point where They all have that meeting and realize they were basically set up and that they'll have to work with Akechi, and Ryuji has his brief little foot-stomping, unintelligibly angry freakout and he gets two letters of the way in and I was just going "Say it dude. Just say gently caress!" But I suppose imagining Ryuji as the sort of guy who says "Gosh Darnit!" Because he can't bring himself to say goddamn is also charming in its own way.
Kudos to his English VA in that scene earlier, btw. Dude totally sold that feeling of being so pissed you can't even form proper words.

NRVNQSR posted:

Hey, if you make a deal with him then ignore him for the entire campaign season then you probably deserve whatever you get.
I liked that they were so vague about his party/ideological affiliations because it meant that I could pretend that Toranosuke was a really friendly and fatherly member of the Uyoku Dantai. Like, when you aren't around he'd be raving about communism and talking about how Japan did nothing wrong during WWII.

Edit: For those of you who have completed the game, is this addressed in Makoto's romance route, because I just don't think she's worth it otherwise:
https://youtu.be/zix7UBJOHtM

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 9, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I liked that they were so vague about his party/ideological affiliations because it meant that I could pretend that Toranosuke was a really friendly and fatherly member of the Uyoku Dantai. Like, when you aren't around he'd be raving about communism and talking about how Japan did nothing wrong during WWII.

*raises hand*

Uh sir? Will this be on the exam?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like how the first half of the museum was no problem to do in one day, but the lounge alone wore Joker out.

Fuckin' Mudo-rear end Corpse Dolls can't remember how to spell their actual names.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I just got to the point where They all have that meeting and realize they were basically set up and that they'll have to work with Akechi, and Ryuji has his brief little foot-stomping, unintelligibly angry freakout and he gets two letters of the way in and I was just going "Say it dude. Just say gently caress!" But I suppose imagining Ryuji as the sort of guy who says "Gosh Darnit!" Because he can't bring himself to say goddamn is also charming in its own way.
Kudos to his English VA in that scene earlier, btw. Dude totally sold that feeling of being so pissed you can't even form proper words.

Oh yeah his English VA (Max Mittelman) knocks it out of the park. Probably my favorite performance in a game with the best performances in the series thus far. Ryuji is supposed to be overflowing with emotion and the guy nails it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i was looking forward to ryuji the least out of all the characters before the game came out and now im proud and glad hes my friend