Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Azn Sensation posted:

I want to buy this just on name alone!

Edit: is there any reason why? Are the food ones weaker or something?

Fool. If you've ever locked your Chef's Knives in a safe and forgot the combination and don't own a Face-a-Melter BT3k you're never getting them back. :colbert:

A torch is a torch - fire is fire, except 'food torches' look somewhat less intimidating perhaps. I suppose Butane is a little cheaper than propane, too? The gases don't really matter either way in the small quantities you're using in a home kitchen.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

Fool. If you've ever locked your Chef's Knives in a safe and forgot the combination and don't own a Face-a-Melter BT3k you're never getting them back. :colbert:

A torch is a torch - fire is fire, except 'food torches' look somewhat less intimidating perhaps. I suppose Butane is a little cheaper than propane, too? The gases don't really matter either way in the small quantities you're using in a home kitchen.

The markup on kitchen torches is higher than buying a hardware store one. Also modernist cuisine tested various gases and preferred MAPP to propane and butane.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

walruscat posted:

Thanks. I told my wife what you recommended and now I have to add a food torch to my shopping list for when I move out.

Actually don't - go to a builders market and get an inexpensive torch with a 500g flask instead - because those expensive little torches are poo poo, run out of fuel all the time and generally have a poor build quality (you're paying 5-10 times as much for lesser capacity, but it is a nice conversation piece though).

It is not like there's anything 'food grade' about the food torches that you buy.

Edit: damnit - just do what the other guys says and buy that one with the fancy name..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My kitchen torch was a flimsy piece of garbage that I had to jiggle buttons on constantly to get it to work. Fuel would run out pretty quickly and because it was so weak, it felt like it took forever to get anything brulee'd properly, wasting more fuel.

Got a $20 propane one and have been really happy with it, haven't needed to refuel even though I've had it way longer than the kitchen torch and used it way more because it's more fun to use. Might even try MAPP gas later once this tank runs out since everyone else seems to recommend it

I vaguely recall someone bringing up some concern about MAPP gas possibly being unsafe for food use, anyone remember that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel like learning to cook Indian food, so I figured I'd start off with a simple curry. There's an Indian market close by and I'll prolly buy my ingredients there. What would be a good beginner dish? Biryani? Vindaloo? Or is there a generic form of curry that's best to start with?

I kinda get the impression that the basic idea is to mix spices together with onions and garlic, and add water or something to make it into a sauce. Something tells me I'm off, though.

I'm going to pair it up with rice rather than bread, if that matters.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

walruscat posted:

I used to top it with a plain soft-boiled egg. I tried tarepanda's recipe for an egg pickled (is that what I should call it) in soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar; and from now on I'm going to top it with the pickled egg if I have the time to prepare some the day before I want a ramen bowl.

How long will the eggs stay good for?

They're not pickled -- the Japanese name just means "flavored egg."

I wouldn't trust them after a week. The longest I've kept them in the mix was two days, personally. They tasted great after that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

The markup on kitchen torches is higher than buying a hardware store one. Also modernist cuisine tested various gases and preferred MAPP to propane and butane.

Plus the MAPP gas burns way hotter than propane, allowing you to accomplish what you want quicker without heating/cooking what's below the surface. So for example, you can caramelize the sugar in crime brûlée without melting the custard more easily.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Then call the cops...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stupid autocorrect. It puts all the diacriticals in brûlée but doesn't know the creme is a word.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I was under the impression that Propane contains more gross smelling odorants then MAPP. But what do I know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_mercaptan

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Steve Yun posted:

I vaguely recall someone bringing up some concern about MAPP gas possibly being unsafe for food use, anyone remember that?
Yeah it was me. MAPP is nasty as it's Methylacetylene (propyne) , but the consensus here was MAPP PRO is OK. I've never tried MAPP PRO though.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 8, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

SubG posted:

When you've done something else with the kernels, brown the husks and make stock with them. Use the cobs to make jelly.

Alternately, do that Myhrvold thing with corn grits, fruit marinara, and corn consommé (I don't have the recipe handy; I think it's in Modernist Cuisine and if not there, one of his blog/food forum posts).

You guys all gave awesome ideas, as usual. Thanks!

I don't think I'd ever have though to make stock and jelly. I don't even know what I'd use it for!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like learning to cook Indian food, so I figured I'd start off with a simple curry. There's an Indian market close by and I'll prolly buy my ingredients there. What would be a good beginner dish? Biryani? Vindaloo? Or is there a generic form of curry that's best to start with?

I kinda get the impression that the basic idea is to mix spices together with onions and garlic, and add water or something to make it into a sauce. Something tells me I'm off, though.

I'm going to pair it up with rice rather than bread, if that matters.
Start with some of the recipes in the vegan thread.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Is this the torch that is being recommended?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-OX2550KC-Oxy-Map-Pro-Torch-Kit-331673/203391033

I was looking at some videos and I saw one that just plugged on top of the canister, but I couldn't find it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

walruscat posted:

Is this the torch that is being recommended?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-OX2550KC-Oxy-Map-Pro-Torch-Kit-331673/203391033

I was looking at some videos and I saw one that just plugged on top of the canister, but I couldn't find it.

No, this is the one you want. Or the slightly upgraded one. You don't need an oxy torch for your kitchen.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I picked up some beef heart at the store today. Once I clean up the squishy bits is there anything else I should do with it besides salt and pepper, then searing it? Is it safe to cook it to medium rare? Something about it being an organ makes me think it should be cooked through, the other half hates to ruin beef in such a manner.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

I picked up some beef heart at the store today. Once I clean up the squishy bits is there anything else I should do with it besides salt and pepper, then searing it? Is it safe to cook it to medium rare? Something about it being an organ makes me think it should be cooked through, the other half hates to ruin beef in such a manner.

It's so lean, it's going to be tough to hit a medium rare, but really it's just like any other muscle as far as safety is concerned.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure it either needs a quick sear or a long cook, but nothing in between.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
I have a bunch of big green and purple kohlrabi (3 each) and 8 large zucchini from my CSA, and I'm looking for delicious, vegetarian ways to eat it all. I've been eating fritters and roasted veg for weeks, and I don't know how much more of it I can take. I've seen pureed kohlrabi, sliced raw with salads, but I'm looking for more ideas of flavors and sauces that go well with it.

tl;dr What should I do with kohlrabi and zucchini that doesn't involve fritters?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make kimchi out of it.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Didn't even cross my mind. That's perfect, thanks Casu Marzu!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

Edit: damnit - just do what the other guys says and buy that one with the fancy name..

The big torches at Home Depot are the same price as the dinky little food torches but they're more powerful, come with WAY more fuel (that you know you can get replacements for) and are hotter.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah it was me. MAPP is nasty as it's Methylacetylene (propyne) , but the consensus here was MAPP PRO is OK. I've never tried MAPP PRO though.

MAPP = unsafe for food (and humans in general)
MAPP Pro = safe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, this is the one you want.

Just confirming, this is the correct torch. It's $10 less than the dinky piece of poo poo they sell at Williams-Sonoma.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 9, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I have a bunch of big green and purple kohlrabi (3 each) and 8 large zucchini from my CSA, and I'm looking for delicious, vegetarian ways to eat it all. I've been eating fritters and roasted veg for weeks, and I don't know how much more of it I can take. I've seen pureed kohlrabi, sliced raw with salads, but I'm looking for more ideas of flavors and sauces that go well with it.

tl;dr What should I do with kohlrabi and zucchini that doesn't involve fritters?

My favorite easy kohlrabi recipe is to cut it up, boil it in salted water until soft, then drain and puree with room temp butter/salt. It's basically adult baby food.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No, this is the one you want. Or the slightly upgraded one. You don't need an oxy torch for your kitchen.

If you have Amazon prime you can get it for 6 bucks cheaper than home depot at $35 Link: http://amzn.com/B00008ZA09 . I just ordered one for myself since this discussion reminded me of the fact that I haven't been using the butane kitchen torch I got as gift a year or so ago due to the off flavor it started giving everything.

Safety Engineer fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 9, 2013

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013
Why do Chinese style cleavers loose there edge quickly ? I have purchased 3 different cleavers all of varying price ranges and they seem to loose there edge incredibly quickly compared to a normal western style chefs knife. Is this because the blade is heavy ? or is there a specific technique to use when chopping.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

Why do Chinese style cleavers loose there edge quickly ? I have purchased 3 different cleavers all of varying price ranges and they seem to loose there edge incredibly quickly compared to a normal western style chefs knife. Is this because the blade is heavy ? or is there a specific technique to use when chopping.

depends on the specific cleaver you have. If it is a cheap stainless cleaver it is because it is soft lovely steel. Getting a carbon steel cleaver such as a CCK (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html) will have harder steel and will have an edge that lasts longer.

Also, just in case, you're chopping on wood, plastic, or rubber, right? no glass or metal.

edit for shameless plug: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557177

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
[quote="GrAviTy84" post="417283684"

Also, just in case, you're chopping on wood, plastic, or rubber, right? no glass or metal.
[/quote]

People cut on glass or metal? I'm new to knives but that gives me the uncomfortable tingles just thinking about it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

People cut on glass or metal? I'm new to knives but that gives me the uncomfortable tingles just thinking about it.

My sister used my nice chef's knife to cut pizza directly on the pizza stone once. Thankfully I wasn't there, I think the sound of it scraping would have driven me to madness.

And yes, I own a perfectly good pizza cutter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why wasn't the pizza stone in the oven where it belongs? You're not supposed to pull the stone out of the oven when you take pizza out.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I think that was part 2 of the problem. :v:

My boyfriend is really good about asking me about which knives are my special ones, and which aren't. Good thing the sheaths they have are colour coded. Now he knows which ones are sharp/dull because apparently he can't tell at all.

My mom used to have a glass cutting board, but we only used it for cutting with cheap-o knives or just prepping food that doesn't need cutting. It made some awful noises, but it was easy to clean. It was in style for a while, for whatever reason. She uses plastic only, now. She can't be arsed to take care of a wooden one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

People cut on glass or metal?
SOOOOOOOO many people still cut on glass cutting boards, and the main reason is that since glass never gets gouged or worn down, there's nowhere for bacteria to set up camp in a glass board. Of course, people who do this have kitchen knives that are barely sharper than butter knives.

Most home furnishing shops still offer glass cutting boards because they still sell.

edit: Also, stay away from acrylic. It's plastic but super-hard and will dull your knives as well.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I bought this little pig grill from Cost Plus World Market but I'm clueless about grilling:

I know that the charcoal goes in the bottom portion, but:
- Do I need a small chimney starter to start the charcoals? People in reviews say it could hold about 10-12 briquettes. Or can I just stick the briquettes as is on top of newspapers?
- I live in foggy SF and will be keeping the pig in my front hall entrance where it's a bit damp. Should I buy water sealant? What kind of water sealant would I get?
- Can I put wood chips on the top portion of the pig, right below the grill?
- How do I maintain the grill? How do I oil it? Is it just a few quick sprays from a spray oil?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

jomiel posted:

I bought this little pig grill from Cost Plus World Market but I'm clueless about grilling:
Well, obviously! You bought a planter, not a grill

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I just want say thanks to The Jizzer and everyone who linked his recipe for Spaghetti alla Carbonara. I'd never had it until now, and so far my past two meals have each been a half recipe and I'm considering a third.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Quick fish safety question:

I bought 1lb of tuna for making sashimi (frozen on boat) but my girlfriend became sick so I re-freezed it after sitting in the fridge for about 10 hours. Is it still safe to thaw and eat raw?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The texture will probably be crap.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tarepanda posted:

The texture will probably be crap.

you can mince it up and put it in a spicy tuna roll though :/

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 9, 2013

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Yeah I was afraid of that. Maybe pan searing would help?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

feelz good man posted:

Well, obviously! You bought a planter, not a grill

:( but it was so cute

^^ I'd second the spicy tuna roll suggestion. Or you can mix it with some chopped scallions and a bit of sesame oil, kind of like the scallion-yellowtail rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah I was afraid of that. Maybe pan searing would help?

Nah, texture is hosed. But it's safe and should taste okay, the tuna roll suggestion is good.