Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Doctor Butts posted:

There is a very small age range where this is an acceptable thing to be worried about. Considering she bought a house and had lived there for 7 years, I think he is waaaaaay out of the age bracket. I'm picturing a guy in his mid-30's and his mom is still heavily involved in his life.

Gunther, from the comic strip Luann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Neito posted:

That was the one where he was like "The smug prick staring at me from atop my girlfriend's tits" or something about the cat, right?

Lol I think so.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I think y'all are sleeping on...

r/relationships: My teeth will regrow! I am sharklike and powerful!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DoubleNegative posted:

Seconding

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Doctor Butts posted:

There is a very small age range where this is an acceptable thing to be worried about. Considering she bought a house and had lived there for 7 years, I think he is waaaaaay out of the age bracket. I'm picturing a guy in his mid-30's and his mom is still heavily involved in his life.

He's apparently 25, she doesn't say how old she is. So they started dating when he was 21 and she was... Late 20s minimum?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm here for this.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't have any better ideas, but if training these kids to believe if they do good and work hard they will be rewarded is the best way to keep them from strangling people, releasing them into a late stage capitalist hellscape is uh, unnerving

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Yes

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't have any better ideas, but if training these kids to believe if they do good and work hard they will be rewarded is the best way to keep them from strangling people, releasing them into a late stage capitalist hellscape is uh, unnerving

It is a very unnerving and kinda sad article. These kids are damaged, either from a young age, or even from conception. Trying to get them to understand their issues is at least a step.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

hawowanlawow posted:

I went into this like 'oh wow it's great they have a solution' to a big ole :stare: when they say they consider a dude who just beats his wife sometimes a success story

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Interesting read, thanks.

DoubleNegative posted:

:hmmyes:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

DoubleNegative posted:

:emptyquote:

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

DoubleNegative posted:

:same:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dramatika posted:

I went into this like 'oh wow it's great they have a solution' to a big ole :stare: when they say they consider a dude who just beats his wife sometimes a success story

The alternative is incarceration (a known abject failure worldwide) or death (amounts to eugenics, generally monsterous).

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

DoctorWhat posted:

The alternative is incarceration (a known abject failure worldwide) or death (amounts to eugenics, generally monsterous).

On one hand, yes, I know and agree

On the other hand, 'just beats his wife, could be worse I guess' makes me feel like a sociopath to even type ironically.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm trying to imagine how Jewish weddings would go if we had this mentality. Wine glass? Pfft... ten wine glasses! The groom breaking them with his foot? How about some DYNAMITE instead?!!?

The King David Hotel was never the same after that wedding...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

i wonder if he means the computer science dudes that are agreeing with him?

He means overtly sexist fucks who thought his acceptance and encouragement of sexist comments about his wife meant that he was also self-aware and positive about his own sexism. Instead he's doing the "sexists are bad but I am good so I can't be sexist" thought process.

That comment immediately follows a discussion of his getting DMs asking whether his wife is getting a PhD in gender studies.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sullat posted:

The King David Hotel was never the same after that wedding...

:wow:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for hiding embarrassing notes in my house as a joke because I know my fiance's mom snoops?

This woman is too good for this world, and she should put those notes back up after throwing out the fiance.

Sometimes it's pretty clear a person is just using Am I the rear end in a top hat to brag about doing something awesome, and I'm fine with that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm tempted to replace the random inspirational quotes in people's email sigs with this when replying to lengthy email chains.

e: did we miss the boat on making the title r/relationsharks:.. ?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dramatika posted:

On one hand, yes, I know and agree

On the other hand, 'just beats his wife, could be worse I guess' makes me feel like a sociopath to even type ironically.

Just caught beating his wife.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Pudding posted:

e: did we miss the boat on making the title r/relationsharks:.. ?

We didn’t miss it, we just needed a bigger one

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dramatika posted:

At it's worst this is a regular old "Dexter" factory.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for calling my academic girlfriend a trophy wife as a joke?
It's fascinating, watching someone just light their own dick on fire like this.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for forcing my boss's wife to apologize to me and not letting him do it for her?

quote:

I am a receptionist at a private practice, and like pretty much everyone we are understaffed right now. They really need a few more people for the administrative work, so if I quit it would be a bit blow.

The owner of the practice "Jake" is a super nice guy but his wife "Marissa" has always hated me due to a bad joke which got back to her. I'll admit I shouldn't have said it, but someone was telling me what he bought her for Valentine's day and I made a joke about being 15 years younger than her, and he's probably going to need wife number 2 in the next 5 years, so I'd be available. I get it was a bad joke, but what Marissa doesn't know is it was a running joke at the front desk about stealing Jake from her. Still I shouldn't have said it and I took the fall.

Marissa now really doesn't like me. Marissa had a birthday the other day and it is kind of an office tradition that you get covered in something gross and sticky on your birthday. Marissa came over to where I was (this isn't the front desk, so nowhere clients would be) and she was dripping in what looked like chocolate syrup, maple syrup, and confection sugar. She took her scrub top off and was using it to try and wipe down her hair. I thought she was just doing that to save some of the mess in the shower, but she then tossed the disgusting top at me and said she was going to shower.

I immediately began to cry in front of multiple co-workers and it was really embarrassing. I threatened to quit while she was in the shower and I said I needed an apology. Jake tried to apologize on her behalf, but I refused to hear him out and said unless he made his wife apologize, I would quit. The other receptionist told me I was being ridiculous and trying to make Jake and Marissa fight. Marissa did come out and apologize for "accidently dropping" her top on me. I accepted and let it go, but people are still treating me like an rear end in a top hat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for forcing my boss's wife to apologize to me and not letting him do it for her?

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this place would be having staffing issues :thunk:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Evil Willow posted:

it is kind of an office tradition that you get covered in something gross and sticky on your birthday

What the gently caress kind of doctor's office is this? Did this dude go to clown medical school?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

What the gently caress kind of doctor's office is this? Did this dude go to clown medical school?

This is absolutely the TV version of a cosmetic plastic surgery office.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

haha we talk all the time about behind your back how i'm going to steal your husband because i'm younger and hotter it's a joke lighten up marissa

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Small practices with mediocre doctors are crazy toxic little fishbowls

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

I'll always remember this episode of Bill O'Reilly's show I watched back in the early 2000's where he had one of his dumb 'debates' with an internet-atheist about the need for religion in society. O'Reilly kept going back to this point about how people would just be murdering, raping, and stealing everything they could if they had no belief in heaven and hell. He hammered away at that argument until it became unconformable clear that the concept of people being nice to each other because of basic human empathy had never crossed his mind and would just never compute.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Blastedhellscape posted:

I'll always remember this episode of Bill O'Reilly's show I watched back in the early 2000's where he had one of his dumb 'debates' with an internet-atheist about the need for religion in society. O'Reilly kept going back to this point about how people would just be murdering, raping, and stealing everything they could if they had no belief in heaven and hell. He hammered away at that argument until it became unconformable clear that the concept of people being nice to each other because of basic human empathy had never crossed his mind and would just never compute.

It says more about people like O'Reilly than anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

It says more about people like O'Reilly than anything.

Definitely a vibe of "I'm so angry I can't do these things in a civilized society everyone must want to do these things"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pentyne posted:

Definitely a vibe of "I'm so angry I can't do these things in a civilized society everyone must want to do these things"

Or at least angry at the effort he has to put into hiding those things

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

AceClown posted:

UK has em

Those better be regular fuckin tortilla chips because my god if you dip a real Dorito in salsa you are a war criminal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doctor Butts posted:

Those better be regular fuckin tortilla chips because my god if you dip a real Dorito in salsa you are a war criminal.

Yeah, you gotta dip the sweet chili ones in white queso

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Coworkers child scanned their butt and left the printed copies all over my office

quote:

It’s my private office and scanner. We allow kids and dogs to come in to the office so it’s not against the rules for her to have been there.

I think she’s 9? She was left unsupervised for a bit and apparently decided to pull down her pants and underwear and take a scan, which she then printed and left on my desk and floor.

I came back into work today and found them, obviously horrified.

Boss and HR were notified, the dad of the kid knows and pictures destroyed. I shredded them and didn’t show them to anyone not even the dad.

Anyone know if that was the right thing to do or if I should be worried? Should I hire a lawyer or forget this whole thing? I don’t want this to come back to bite me or the company

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for insisting that my daughter's eyesight is fine and her teacher was wrong?

quote:

Apologies, english isn't my main language.

My daughter (9) teacher contacted me days ago with concerns about her eyesight, they stated that my daughter has problems with sight and advised me to get her checked by the doctor and preferably get her glasses. I was taken aback and couldn't help but think the teacher was just making assumptions about my daughters eyesight because to my knowledge, my daughter can see fine and never told me about any issues she had with sight. I told the teacher and they responded by telling me that my daughter literally requested to move to thefront of the class and take one of the classmates seats because she calimed she couldn't see. I told the teacher she got it wrong and that my daughter probably told them this so she could sit next to her friends. The teacher insisted and I assured them there was no issues though I haven't taken my daughter to the doctor since Feb 2021. The teacher then got into an argument with me about it telling me my daughter can no longer attend their class without glasses or proof from the doctor that her sight is fine. I thought that was unnecesary and time wasting I told them.if they go through with their threat then I'll go to the principle with this and they told me to go ahead on response.

My husband said the teacher was probably concerned and I was wrong to get the principle involved instead of doing what they asked. But I seriously thinking of goig to the principle AITA?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

therobit posted:

AITA for insisting that my daughter's eyesight is fine and her teacher was wrong?

My mom was told I needed glasses by my teacher because I could get around fine in most situations but couldn't see chalk against the blackboard. This is something teachers are taught to watch for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

therobit posted:

Why is checking if the daughter can see things or even talking to the daughter apparently not an option?