Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have you considered that there might be a reason why I specified "as depicted" and then gave a theoretical way in which they could be changed to do something on that scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I like both giant robots and robot portable kinetic kill weapons and enjoy watching all of them gently caress poo poo up.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry to keep mentioning the games in here, but I’m upset that GB3 doesn’t have grunt suits. :saddowns:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Romes128 posted:

Sorry to keep mentioning the games in here, but I’m upset that GB3 doesn’t have grunt suits. :saddowns:

It has a bunch of GM and Zaku variants, the amphibious suits, Jegans and Jestas, and the Axis Zeon grunts, at least.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

It has a bunch of GM and Zaku variants, the amphibious suits, Jegans and Jestas, and the Axis Zeon grunts, at least.

Sorry I meant the good grunt suits.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Romes128 posted:

Sorry I meant the good grunt suits.

I just listed all the good grunt suits. :confused:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lemon-Lime posted:

mods ban this filth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe that guy is disrespecting the Daughtress

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A playable Graze would be neat, and a playable WaDom would seriously own.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't seen Turn A in awhile, but I only remember one WaDom in the show. When I think Grunt suit, I think mass-produced.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I haven't seen Turn A in awhile, but I only remember one WaDom in the show. When I think Grunt suit, I think mass-produced.

The WaDoms were the Dianna Counter’s standard front-line suits. They usually showed up in squads of three, sometimes more.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Lemon-Lime posted:

https://i.imgur.com/zd9Qtr2.mp4

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't know about that.

Rustal: "A monster that can crush a mobile armor single-handedly can hardly be called human anymore. There are suitable manners for bringing down such beasts. Dainsleif team, fire."

It doesn't seem crazy to suggest that a Graze in orbit can accurately target something on the surface. IBO doesn't have Minovsky particles; long range combat is limited by the relative ineffectiveness of long range weaponry versus armor technology rather than because magic particles make sensors not work.

They have Ahab waves doing the same job. It's not quite the sensor hell you get with Minovsky, but it still does a number on long range comms and fries unshielded electronics.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Zanscare's bug-eyed suits are great. The Grimoire is amazing. The Crossbone Vanguard is stylish as gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

They have Ahab waves doing the same job. It's not quite the sensor hell you get with Minovsky, but it still does a number on long range comms and fries unshielded electronics.

I'm trying to remember; Were they outright-banned on Earth, or just around cities?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to remember; Were they outright-banned on Earth, or just around cities?

It was specifically around cities. You can use them on Earth without trouble but in a city they gently caress up everything.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsieurChoc posted:

Zanscare's bug-eyed suits are great. The Grimoire is amazing. The Crossbone Vanguard is stylish as gently caress.

And say what you want about the Vagans (god knows I will), but I really loved their alien dragon robots.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

And say what you want about the Vagans (god knows I will), but I really loved their alien dragon robots.

The early ones were good, the later ones not so much.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Vagan Gundam is the ugliest Gundam design in the entire franchise

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Vagan Gundam is the ugliest Gundam design in the entire franchise

When the Gold Frame Amatsu exists? C’mon now.

Seriously, the Legilis isn’t even bad. It’s a cool, sinister, subtly ‘off’ Vagan spin on the classic Gundam design.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Midjack posted:

I like both giant robots and robot portable kinetic kill weapons and enjoy watching all of them gently caress poo poo up.

Oh don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of both; I just don't agree with the assessment that portable kinetic weapons made mobile suits redundant in Iron Blood Orphans or that their existence means that Iron Blood Orphans doesn't take advantage of the same "giant robots are cool" trope the rest of the franchise does.

Darth Walrus posted:

The WaDoms were the Dianna Counter’s standard front-line suits. They usually showed up in squads of three, sometimes more.

Well, to be fair, Poe is the only named enemy that really uses them and even she moves on to using a SUMO eventually. There's probably a few dozen of them used throughout the show though, and they're the standard units along with the WaD (the half size one with two pilot seats and an exposed tail) for Dianna Counter as you say. They're even in use in space, and when the Wilgame first enters the high atmosphere to catch the Zacktraeger a few WaDoms are shown patrolling the cable connecting the Zacktreager parts for instance. I can't recall if there's any used on the Moon itself off-hand, but they're definitely used there at least.

Omnicrom posted:

A few of the Vagan units like the Ghiraga are quite cool and I'm a fan of the Wrozzo in particular for having a somewhat unusual design with oddball "feet" that still looks strong and dangerous due to the big, chunky arms and legs. I like that it keeps a serpentine head and neck too, along with the stylized chest unit.

I love the tail gun some of the more humanoid designs descended from the Gafran use too, but I like one or two of the goofier Vagan designs as well. The Xamdrag is great for instance.

It still projects strength but it looks like a squashed gorilla and I love it. Even the infamous space lemon is kind of cool in a silly way, and if it had something besides a cone for a face or more mechanical arms to give it a more unified look I'd probably love it entirely like the Ball or Zakrello.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 1, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

Oh don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of both; I just don't agree with the assessment that portable kinetic weapons made mobile suits redundant in Iron Blood Orphans or that their existence means that Iron Blood Orphans doesn't take advantage of the same "giant robots are cool" trope the rest of the franchise does.

They don't make Mobile Suits redundant, they make Gundams redundant. There's no point making a dual-Ahab-Reactor Gundam capable of moving at insane speed and reflexes (albeit while frying the pilot's brain) if it can be stopped cold by a couple of conventional mobile suits armed with Dainsleifs. For the time and effort to make a Gundam (nevermind finding quality pilots, plural, you can get a lot more Dainsleifs and conventional Mobile Suits with non-brain-fried pilot aces.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I also really liked the Legilis. It absolutely nailed "bad guy Gundam" by correctly combining the aesthetics of a Gundam with the Vagan mobile suit sensibilities.

Now I have nothing but problems with how the drat thing was used and presented (except, oddly, it getting totally clowned at the end), but I think the Legilis is a fine looking Mobile Suit and a Gundam I appreciate.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I haven't seen the show it's from, so I have zero context, but I do like the mech design of that Legilis thing. It has elements from Barbatos (the gold vents) and Wing Zero (the chest), but in the original RX-78 colors. The core fighter on it looks dumb as poo poo, but the suit itself I think looks mean as hell. The backpack is a bit much, but I'd buy a kit of that thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ANAmal.net posted:

I haven't seen the show it's from, so I have zero context, but I do like the mech design of that Legilis thing. It has elements from Barbatos (the gold vents) and Wing Zero (the chest), but in the original RX-78 colors. The core fighter on it looks dumb as poo poo, but the suit itself I think looks mean as hell. The backpack is a bit much, but I'd buy a kit of that thing.

The context is that it's an evil Gundam made by the bad guys from stolen tech, so it's basically a Gundam mashed up with the Vagan aesthetic. I like it quite a lot for that; AGE is a bad show, but the Vagans have a very coherent and unified aesthetic. Not all of their suits are winners, but them all looking like they came from the same place and design ethos wins a lot of points with me, kind of like Zanscare from Victory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Legilis got a pretty good sendoff in Memory of Eden, but I do wish they’d stuck with the original colours. That heroic red, white and blue brings out the machine’s details and signals its importance in a way Zeheart’s solid red doesn’t, and would have made a great visual contrast with the Dark Hound.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't Age where the motivation of the evil factions is to find a new home because their home is near a sun

and then it turns out they could've moved away from the sun this entire time

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tae posted:

Isn't Age where the motivation of the evil factions is to find a new home because their home is near a sun

and then it turns out they could've moved away from the sun this entire time

Close.

The motivation was that the bad guys lived on Mars, but being on Mars apparently gives an inexplicable super duper disease that was murdering them horrifically so they invade Earth. These are the same Vagans who have massive colony ships the size of planetoids with which they could probably have housed their entire population and are equipped with goddamn warp engines.

Of course the real reason they went to war is that their leader is basically Mars Hitler and he wanted to have a giant godawful war to purge as much of humanity as possible because only the survivors will be superior enough to inherit the Earth. After killing literally billions of people in this horrific scheme he dies in bed surrounded by friends and family, content that his goal has been fulfilled and his legacy is secure.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Not to defend Ages silly story, but I thought they learned right away that living there was killing them but the earth government basically abandoned them to their fate, and it took a long time to build all that crazy poo poo that let them go back

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Booourns posted:

Not to defend Ages silly story, but I thought they learned right away that living there was killing them but the earth government basically abandoned them to their fate, and it took a long time to build all that crazy poo poo that let them go back

well yeah, but in a sane world the first thing they would have done with said crazy poo poo is parked their colony in earth orbit with their army of then-invincible robot dragons and yell 'WE'RE HOOOOOOOOME.'

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

say what you will about AGE but I've always felt its mecha designs were on point.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Look, always remember that even the AGE story could have been worse for the initial bad guy reasoning, even just sticking to major mecha genre works... it could have been Aldnoah Zero.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For my Metroid brothers:
https://t.co/hZMjlePIox https://twitter.com/zenkiro_/status/1013331820266643457?s=17

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd go with the barbatos personally to match the rounded shoulders and narrow waist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

say what you will about AGE but I've always felt its mecha designs were on point.

Eh. The Earth ones were pretty boring, by and large (only Woolf had consistently good suits), and the Gundams had a fair few ugly misfires (the AGE-2, with its awkward kibble and graceless MA mode, comes to mind, as does the AGE-FX), while the Vagan suits were creative but uneven, with little apparent thought put into their designs (is there any reason why so many of them had tail-mounted swords that could plug into their beam saber ports?).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Lord Koth posted:

Look, always remember that even the AGE story could have been worse for the initial bad guy reasoning, even just sticking to major mecha genre works... it could have been Aldnoah Zero.

At least I managed to watch all of Aldnoah Zero. The boss fights were mostly neat, the music was good and the bit with guessing the girls weight in gravity because he's a tactless nerd made me laugh. Still not sure if the ending was meant to be upbeat or not? The words and content of the scene are very "you will be locked in this room for the rest of your life and no one will know you are here or what part you played in the war" but the music is really happy and cheerful like that isn't a horrific thing to do to someone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Aldnoah started off really fun and engaging and had a great core premise(genius working with junk and lovely real robots has to take down a succession of super robots powered by magic bullshit). The second season did not stick the landing but I got a lot more enjoyment out of what was there than I did from AGE, which was aggressively boring when it wasn't being actively bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Aldnoah started off really fun and engaging and had a great core premise(genius working with junk and lovely real robots has to take down a succession of super robots powered by magic bullshit). The second season did not stick the landing but I got a lot more enjoyment out of what was there than I did from AGE, which was aggressively boring when it wasn't being actively bad.

I mean, the fight scenes were almost invariably way better. Even when they were more silly than smart, they had a great sense of spectacle. Mechanical design totally owned, too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My biggest memory from Aldnoah.Zero was that there were like 5 fake-outs of the princess dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AZ first half was very solid and compelling and s2 really fell to pieces, specifically in working its rear end off to walk back the s1 finale.

Don’t walk back your cliff hanger ending. It always seems super lovely.