Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Leech is fine as long as the max rate is throttled to make it for sustaining instead of facetanking one shot attacks. Vaal Pact and increased leech rate are the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whydirt posted:

Leech is fine as long as the max rate is throttled to make it for sustaining instead of facetanking one shot attacks. Vaal Pact and increased leech rate are the issue.

Vaal pact is required for CI attack builds to exist, it's just that everything is thrown to hell and back because vinktars has 20% leech for some hosed up reason. If you were limited to normal leech, vaal pact wouldnt be absurd.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

yum posted:

Speaking of magic find, I've been messing around with my BV obliteration zerker that I had previously dismantled to farm breachlords for the achievement. I tried stacking the poo poo out of quantity on him which made the grind a lot more bearable and I was wondering if anyone has an idea for a build that would work for highermaps/strand? with a similar item setup. The main issue preventing me from using this build for non-breaches is I move super loving slow without quicksilver/movement skills due to the wand/my chest. Also the 5k HP but that's kinda expected when your gear has 0 life

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/FGL/characters

bergyzerker is the character name

I'm abusing the BV bug also cause I sold my extra 20/20 BVs but the damage is overkill anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_JlantiOfI

I dont know why I did this

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Would shield charge also work? I'm planning on playing that build with pathfinder and have no idea how it's going to work out.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What class should I start as? When I play diablo 3 I like monk, d2 I liked druid, and I tend to like melee classes with in combat movement abilities

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RC Cola posted:

What class should I start as? When I play diablo 3 I like monk, d2 I liked druid, and I tend to like melee classes with in combat movement abilities

Every class can in theory do everything. Your best bet would be to look on youtube or the forums and find a build you find interesting and then just pick whatever class that tells you to.

E: Some skill-suggestions based on what you said would be Cyclone, Blade Flurry, Earthquake

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheRat posted:

I'm not entirely sure tanking shaper beam is a worthwhile thing to measure anyway. It's a really slow, telegraphed 'slam'

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Vh3yFx-EY&t=480s here's a dude tanking it long enough to get out of the way

You know, I was wondering how good scorching ray was at endgame. I guess the answer is it's bad!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

McFrugal posted:

You know, I was wondering how good scorching ray was at endgame. I guess the answer is it's bad!

What? Thats a dude killing shaper in a temp hc league wearing a tabula rasa

E: The short of it is that scorching ray is an exceptional boss killer and a decent allrounder, but it cant match the top skills for general clear speed.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

It'd be nice if there were more bosses that tested sustain rather than just if you can survive and leech back from huge oneshots. Facetanking through massive leech with a big pool shouldn't be the only viable method, and Vinktars is definitely a big culprit. When they first introduced the leech changes things were pretty good but since then, more and bigger sources of leech have made the facetank leech type character too good again. That said, I think its important to increase the diversity of builds that can do endgame content and not just nerf the ones that can do endgame content.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Mr. Whale posted:

Would shield charge also work? I'm planning on playing that build with pathfinder and have no idea how it's going to work out.

Shield charge definitely works but you lose out on the obliteration aoe if your primary damage comes from bv.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

In addition to delete Vinktar's I think there should be much more of a life buff than CI nerf. Rather than just a few percentage point buffs here and there I'd like to see more nodes have armor, evasion, leech rate, and especially life potion effectiveness.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Agree, personally I would not enjoy a world where there's almost no options for builds that can survive walking into a single one of Shaper's yellow orbs, which is what a severe CI nerf with unchanged life stats would look like.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

Agree, personally I would not enjoy a world where there's almost no options for builds that can survive walking into a single one of Shaper's yellow orbs, which is what a severe CI nerf with unchanged life stats would look like.

You know, I see an easier solution to this problem. Lower shaper yellow orb damage a little bit?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

TheRat posted:

You know, I see an easier solution to this problem. Lower shaper yellow orb damage a little bit?

Yeah, that's probably an easier solution. Basically the point is I'd prefer "make life builds better able to tank hits endgame" rather than "make everyone less able to tank hits endgame." The actual means to doing that are irrelevant.

And "tank hits" meaning not getting oneshot by half the mechanics of a boss without very specific investment. I don't mean the ability to pop Vinktar and just stand in multiple sources of damage at once and leech more than you're taking. That obviously needs to go.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I'm fine with well telegraphed oneshots being a thing, but poo poo thats extremely hard to avoid shouldnt be oneshotting you.

PS: I dont consider volatiles a problem, they only oneshot if you if blind rush through a map with absolutely retarded mods.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1831433

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah, I don't know where to draw the line exactly between "okay to tank a hit sometimes" and "obviously you should never get hit by this" but I don't think it's right for the endgame bosses as is. Just as an example of what I mean, here's what the actual numbers look like in the 2 big endgame bosses right now.

Like, I don't know how to parse poedb's number exactly (when it says an enemy has 200% base damage what does that apply to exactly? Shaper orbs in the video I recorded hit me once for 7500, which means the 4000-8000 number with 25% penetration can't be right because that would mean 4000 max, 6000 with a crit) but I believe these are the numbers on how much damage this stuff does to someone with 75% all resists and no armor (evasion/ES based characters):

Uber Atziri Storm Call: 3659 - 10979
Uber Atziri Yellow Storm Call: 5406 - 16219
Uber Atziri Flameblast: 5679 - 8517
Uber Atziri Double Flameblast: 7950 - 11923 (each, and yes you should never get hit by this)
Uber Atziri Spear Throw: 5078, 2203 DPS while moving
Uber Atziri Spear Volley: 4062, 1762 DPS while moving

Shaper Autoattack: 5770 (?? In my video I see myself taking 3500 by one autoattack followed by 3400 from the next, I shouldn't have any phys mitigation, datamine says 2885 damage with 200% "damage" value)
Shaper Beam: 7924 DPS
Shaper Yellow Orb: 5639 - 8458
Shaper Slam: 3x whatever his autoattack damage is, from my video it did around 9200 damage
Shaper Bullet Hell: 5639 - 8458

If you're gonna say 6500-7000 life builds are where the line should be, and everyone who isn't specifically going max block poo poo or whatever should be approximately as tanky as an evasion character with 6500 life, then these numbers just look really gross, even accounting for Fortify which brings that 6500 up to ~8100 for oneshots.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Volatile just has too much 1shot potential and isn't really fun to play around. I never play hardcore though so I don't hate it as much as most people, but I do think it should have less damage in the more extreme circumstances.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

If you're gonna say 6500-7000 life builds are where the line should be, and everyone who isn't specifically going max block poo poo or whatever should be approximately as tanky as an evasion character with 6500 life, then these numbers just look really gross, even accounting for Fortify which brings that 6500 up to ~8100 for oneshots.

Most of the things you listed with high damage numbers are things I consider justified oneshots. If you get hit by an uber stormcall, you should die.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cinara posted:

Volatile just has too much 1shot potential and isn't really fun to play around. I never play hardcore though so I don't hate it as much as most people, but I do think it should have less damage in the more extreme circumstances.

The more extreme circumstances only happen if you actively seek them out in the form of running map mods you know you shouldnt run.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I see all these huge damage numbers being thrown around for endgame content and all I think is that GGG doesn't look at/care about anything but streamers who run around with 10k life or 15k ES.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I see all these huge damage numbers being thrown around for endgame content and all I think is that GGG doesn't look at/care about anything but streamers who run around with 10k life or 15k ES.

Those numbers are raw - before mitigation. And you're not supposed to survive the highest ones. They're socalled 'slams' - telgraphed skills that should be avoided.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheRat posted:

Those numbers are raw - before mitigation. And you're not supposed to survive the highest ones. They're socalled 'slams' - telgraphed skills that should be avoided.

If you're not supposed to survive them why don't they do like ten times that damage? Instakill literally everyone.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Some of the attacks are high enough to guaranteed kill offensive focused players but not high enough to guaranteed kill defensive ones, so there's some benefit to gearing accordingly. Others are basically outright one shots and will one hit anyone unless maybe you specifically tried to counter it and had insane gear I guess.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

McFrugal posted:

If you're not supposed to survive them why don't they do like ten times that damage? Instakill literally everyone.

Build diversity. If someone absolutely wants to build a megatank they should be able to. The problem is balancing the tradeoff.

E: and this is where poo poo like double dipping, poison stacking and decay throws a massive spanner in the works, allowing you to be both megatank AND have great dps.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

One thing that would be interesting is different boss attacks that have different ways of best mitigating them. The degen effects are underused or easily avoidable in fights where they exist (to be fair, I think the way it was implemented in the shaper fight is cool, but I'd like more.) Right now regen is pretty meh for boss fights as a mitigation tool but it'd be interesting if there were some fights/attacks where like the boss throws down degen zones or something and disappears so you can't just leech through it. Of course you should be able to dodge/avoid it somehow if you're a non regen build but it should be similarly difficult to life regen builds that have to dodge a bunch of attacks that CI builds can just tank

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

I'd like to know how you did that, it looks fun :D

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Seems like the standard scold's + zerphi's CWDT with an Obliteration.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Seems like the standard scold's + zerphi's CWDT with an Obliteration.

also using the dual wield bug to get that sweet Brightbeak-Leap-Slam(tm) feeling

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also using the dual wield bug to get that sweet Brightbeak-Leap-Slam(tm) feeling

yeah, it's the obliteration BV zerker but using scold's + zerphi to generate the BV charges instead of cast speed. Blade vortex added chaos and poison double dipping is the primary dmg dealer

Scold's + Zerphis + 4x Fevered minds instead of hidden potential
Level 1 CWDT + level 1 BV
level 21 CWDT and 21 BV in the 6L
CWDT + vortex + bladefall to abuse the vaal pact/zerker leech ascendency

and then the brightbeak thing to get the obliteration AoE. To be honest, the obliteration isn't really needed and shield charge works just as well and is less awkward to play cause BV damage is so ridiculous

there is 100% a better build for this but I wanted to stack quant/rarity while moving fast so I'm using suboptimal gear, links, and probably tree too.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Ah, drat. I can't even remotely afford a Scolds right now :)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I can't link an item to save my life. I spent 1500 on my Doomfletcher's chest before giving up and spending another 1500 to Vorici it, and just spent another 600 last night on a Disfavour. Ready to spend 900 more and then drop the currency to Vorici it again.

On the other hand this only took 3 Divines:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
ABOUT GODDAMN TIME

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/829819456050262016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So that's what Chris's wife was excited about for 3.0.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Now can they fix the broken stairs from oyun down to tasuni? It's real nice aesthetically but it's annoying to traverse when you're doing those quests since you have to bounce between oyun and tasuni a couple times per difficulty.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Now can they fix the broken stairs from oyun down to tasuni? It's real nice aesthetically but it's annoying to traverse when you're doing those quests since you have to bounce between oyun and tasuni a couple times per difficulty.

You only ever have to visit Tasuni once per difficulty, aside from div card turnins.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I finally tried this game last night and here are some thoughts and questions

Does anyone else find the vendoring obscure? Apparently I had to do stuff like collect 3 same type flasks or add up superior stuff to 40%. The game gave no indication who is considered good gear, skills are extremely text heavy and it is impossible to decipher what gear you should be wearing

The game seems to be pretty hard to get into and I need some tips so I can maybe start liking this game? The learning curve for this game is a bit crazy

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah that's very true. I would ignore the quality recipe btw, you should come across plenty of whetstones and armourer's scraps as drops.

Gear is pretty simple as you level and get through difficulties: look for the socket configurations you need, get as much resists and life as possible. Try to be capped at 75% fire/cold/lightning.

Highly recommend finding a build guide and sticking to it. There's a guy that does decent beginner's builds... LiftingNerdBro I think?

Regardless, try to keep in mind that your first (few) characters aren't going to be great.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

jerichojx posted:

So I finally tried this game last night and here are some thoughts and questions

Does anyone else find the vendoring obscure? Apparently I had to do stuff like collect 3 same type flasks or add up superior stuff to 40%. The game gave no indication who is considered good gear, skills are extremely text heavy and it is impossible to decipher what gear you should be wearing

The game seems to be pretty hard to get into and I need some tips so I can maybe start liking this game? The learning curve for this game is a bit crazy

There are lots of filters you can download that will eliminate most of the obvious trash drops from view.

In terms of recipes, most of them are sucker-bets, and the time you spend putting them together would be better spent running more content. The chaos recipe for level 60+ drops is worth gathering rings and amulets for, unless you are crazy high level and stacking mad cash. Armorers and whetstones are exceedingly common and worthless. The glassblowers recipe is maybe? worth doing.

There are also tons of fairly well produced and clearly explained beginner build guides on the PoE forums, and on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I must have watched like 10 of those beginner youtube videos and I'm still a bit lost.

Like they didn't mention, if I should be even picking up blues. Should I be picking them up? Should I be squirreling away rings and amulets at 60+?

• Locked thread