Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EvanSchenck posted:

Bigfoot attempted one takedown and probably would have completed it but Browne defended with maybe the greatest cage grab of all time--he actually reached up and over the fence to grab hold of it from the outside! Then later after his leg died, Bigfoot knocked him down with strikes rather than doing a wrestle. Browne really did have a perfect takedown defense record until last night, but it looks like that was more down to scheduling and chance than skill. I think in his career up to now he just hadn't fought anybody who would really pursue the takedown aggressively apart from Barnett and Gonzaga, and he knocked them out before they could complete a takedown.

I remember that fence grab, the entire audience booed like they were watching a pantomime about a giraffe disagreeing with an orangutan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Novum posted:

I wish I could find the interview again, but he said it more as a way to make the point that KOing someone really fast isn't a proper fight. A fight is a back and forth and that's where the test is. Considering the guy's career, like I said, I'll have to take his word on it.

Browne is a good fighter in the sense that he's always a threat to win a fight, but he's going to look bad in any fight that goes to decision and his metrics are going to be poor, which makes it hard to predict the outcome of his fights.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Ninja PD posted:

It's true Jose Aldo hasn't quite been Aldo since the Faber fight (except maybe Mendes and TKZ, both in Brazil), maybe he's really is the real people's champ and only fights cool on free tv.

He hasn't been finishing much but he's still kicking the absolute poo poo out of people.

As an aside, for anyone who has attended a UFC event, are they usually swarming with attractive women because mother of god.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Don't fighters get PPV points automatically on obtaining a title?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MassRafTer posted:

Mighty Mouse is a cool smart dude and I will keep picking against him in every one of his fights so he is always champion.

Mighty Mouse is a cool fighter, but UFC used to send me their mags when I subscribed to the Fight Club and in an interview once he unironically recommended Starbucks has his favourite place to get a coffee in Seattle and I've always had to assume he's kind of dumb after that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

MassRafTer posted:

What I mean is if he says he's made more on TV than PPV that's unsurprising since he's fought on free TV as champion while he never has on PPV. UFC is also a company that has offered guys more money before to fight on free TV (JDS/Cain I as an example) so he could have free TV incentives too.

I don't know if MM is including sponsorship bucks, but XBOX has to pay pretty well for a network TV placement -that could be it.

As far as the fox card goes - if they want ratings for the Fox shows, they should put all the *name* fighters on the main card, and not bury them on the prelims. Thiago Alves was legit a few years back, and looked great on Saturday. Nurmagamedov will be a title contender in 6 months.

They're hurting the ratings right now, and also harming future ratings and PPV buyrates, by denying the best fighters full exposure.

I think they've made a huge miscalculation in thinking women's fights are a draw, rather than just Ronda fights. Tate and Carmouche are both done in terms of upwards momentum, have had their undeserved title shots already and will never get another one.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
UFC releases Bubba McDaniel and Renee Forte

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/21/5634394/ufc-cuts-releases-bubba-mcdaniel-and-renee-forte-mma-news

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

I went and dug up the interviews, and while you're correct that DJ hasn't fought on PPV since he won the title, DJ doesn't beat around the bush about PPV points:

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson sees value of fighting on FOX rather than PPV

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: PPV points not all they're cracked up to be

In both interviews he says guys like GSP get paid millions of dollars for PPVs but he knows GSP built his way up to that stardom. He knows it's going to take time for him to get there, so he's fine taking more money now and with a few years of good performances his popularity might reach GSP's level. So he's probably been offered PPV spots but chose to headline shows that would reach a bigger audience.

A thing that perhaps people dont quite grt is that people are more likely to congregate to watch ppvs then they are for free tv shows. Its not super likely that the free tv shows have more eyeballs on them than decent ppv cards, and bad cards like the previous one would do worse than decent ppvs

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The ufc just cut the proven biggest draw they had and now people are wondering why no one tuned in to see lumbering dance idiot vs the guy who tried and failed to pull guard 30 times against overeen. Weird.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Hopefully Bubba can continue losing in hilarious fashion somewhere in the B-leagues because that is my favorite thing in MMA.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nibbles141 posted:

Don't fighters get PPV points automatically on obtaining a title?

Nobody knows, but it's likely.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yuriy posted:

UFC releases Bubba McDaniel

:lol:

The best news

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
I always found it weird Mighty Mouse has had a Microsoft sponsorship for quite a while now. That's pretty big time, right? They seem to be his only sponsor so he must be making some bank off of it, being the main event on Fox multiple times.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The problem is. Mighty Mouse is a pretty big outward nerd so I think he might have happily taken that Xbox sponsorship in exchange for a free Gold subscription and an advance copy of Tomb Raider.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He's sponsored by a division (albeit a decent sized one) of Microsoft, not MS themselves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bluedeanie posted:

The problem is. Mighty Mouse is a pretty big outward nerd so I think he might have happily taken that Xbox sponsorship in exchange for a free Gold subscription and an advance copy of Tomb Raider.

They threw him a Bone.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Haha I'm actually audible in the Healy fight yelling for Masvidal to throw elbows and knees.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

yeah I saw this earlier and I haven't stopped having douche chills

I am happy that two years later the "fight doesn't count" meme is evolving into a multicolored paragraphed image.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Travis Browne should get the praise for fighting through all that...but all the people listing off his injuries as if they were visited upon him by Pacquiao's mom hexing him from the stands rather than a BJJ Wizard (who most said wouldn't want to stand with him) lighting him the gently caress up in Rd. 1 is lame as hell and does absolutely zero to endear me to him.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Looks like some infographic from a conspiracy .org or something. I think the image fails to capture that all this was done to him by Werdum who also did kung-fu movie poo poo and made fun of him the whole time.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Travis the trashman browne is a fuckface and lost his fight very hard and my nice husband werdum beat him up

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Travis Browne's 90-day medical suspension after this fight makes no mention whatsoever of a broken rib or hand and only notes he broke his nose and got cut over his right eye, so actually Browne wasn't hurt that badly at all and is a bad fighter and a 6'7" baby.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Novum posted:

Looks like some infographic from a conspiracy .org or something. I think the image fails to capture that all this was done to him by Werdum who also did kung-fu movie poo poo and made fun of him the whole time.

The graphic says it happened in the fight, what exactly do you think it is trying to imply? It's not saying he would've won if these things happened it is praise from his team that he never quit and didn't complain.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if your body is literally falling out from under you, maybe you shouldn't fight?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
those suspensions are based on really cursory medical checks immediately after the fight, his weirdo coach is jerking his pecker to a photo of an x ray of Browne's broken hand

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

MassRafTer posted:

The graphic says it happened in the fight, what exactly do you think it is trying to imply? It's not saying he would've won if these things happened it is praise from his team that he never quit and didn't complain.

Gee, maybe I'm saying that it's glorifying how tough Travis Browne is rather than how badly he was outclassed by Werdum?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the important thing is that fabricio werdum understands that it is fun to have fun, even when people are trying to kill him in a cage

mewse
May 2, 2006

Too slow to avoid getting injured, too stupid to stop fighting with a broken rib, a true warrior, the future champion ladies and gentlemen

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I say if they have no complaints and think that fight raised Brownes' stock then the perfect fight to be making for him would be JDS.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

mewse posted:

Too slow to avoid getting injured, too stupid to stop fighting with a broken rib, a true warrior, the future champion ladies and gentlemen

Not if Chael's gypsy curse on Hapa holds strong.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ricky Lundell, noted coach of dumb losers Miesha Tate and Travis Browne.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the important thing is that fabricio werdum understands that it is fun to have fun, even when people are trying to kill him in a cage

i like when he tried to do the shawn michaels kip up for no reason

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Werdum beat him so hard he made him Brazilian.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Aurain posted:

The Flyin' Rawaiian?

(Rocky and Bullwinkle style or...)

Travis "Rapa" Browne

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Aurain posted:

Don't do Brazilian's the disservice of comparing them to Hawaiians, whiny excuse makers of amazingly dumb proportions in their own right

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Novum posted:

Gee, maybe I'm saying that it's glorifying how tough Travis Browne is rather than how badly he was outclassed by Werdum?

It's Travis Browne's team, it is their job to motivate the guy. This is exactly what they should be doing.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Aurain posted:

Also has Browne said anything or is it just his confused fanbase?

VV wow, it took me until just now to realize that he's trying to qualify that he is on Team Browne, and also honored and thankful and also a part of it.

Novum fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 21, 2014

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
We am on all honored and thankful, Ricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

MassRafTer posted:

It's Travis Browne's team, it is their job to motivate the guy. This is exactly what they should be doing.

Then email it to him not me

• Locked thread