Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

nerve posted:

Do you really think he's listening to black metal if he say he likes those other two bands

Not at all, I was just surprised that Samael would be mentioned with those other bands. But I have no idea what they sound like after 1996 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sursumdeorsum posted:

I love Pantera, Korn (shut up), Samael....that kind of poo poo. Please recommend a new band that I would love. I need new music in my life.
here this is okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEXRRm6dPk

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

Not at all, I was just surprised that Samael would be mentioned with those other bands. But I have no idea what they sound like after 1996 or so.

They came out of black metal, did like, a hard rock album with lots of keyboards and poo poo (but I kinda liked it anyway, Year Zero or something like that, wasn't bad) then as far as I know they descended into butt rock.

e: Album was called Eternal, apparently. *shrug* Nothing special but wasn't terrible.

e2: VVV The Blackening is a much better Machine Head album.

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010
I came across the album Bloodstone & Diamonds by Machine Head because of the recommendation to their earlier stuff (which I didn't enjoy as much). I am loving this Machine Head album, anything similar to it out there? I appreciate the groovyness of it and high productions values if that helps with recommendations.

This track really does it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuwD9hQ4-bc

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Machine Head is poo poo after "Burn My Eyes". You should also listen to Vio-Lence instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjoVw1YmSnk

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Turk February posted:

Machine Head is poo poo after "Burn My Eyes". You should also listen to Vio-Lence instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjoVw1YmSnk

No it isn't. What people liked in Burn My Eyes is the new sound (with their weird tuning) they brought and the killer riffs - and that comes with a little bit of rose-tinted glasses. The album is awesome and is of their best album, but saying the rest is poo poo is just dumb. MH really matured as a band on The Blackening. Anybody who liked Bloodstones & Diamonds should love The Blackening and Unto the Locus. I don't think B&D is all that great.

sursumdeorsum posted:

I love Pantera, Korn (shut up), Samael....that kind of poo poo. Please recommend a new band that I would love. I need new music in my life.

Check out Down, EYEHATEGOD, Goat Whore and all the NOLA bands basically. Pantera was great because it brought a lot of Louisiana influence into Thrash Metal thanks to Phil "rear end in a top hat" Anselmo.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Furism posted:

No it isn't. What people liked in Burn My Eyes is the new sound (with their weird tuning) they brought and the killer riffs - and that comes with a little bit of rose-tinted glasses. The album is awesome and is of their best album, but saying the rest is poo poo is just dumb.

Yeah, because as we've seen "Supercharger" was a great triumph. What irks me about Machine Head, and specifically Robb Flynn, is their blatant following and implementation of every single new trend that found its way into groove metal. It reeks of pandering and the compositions are boring to boot. But hey, I'm just one man.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Turk February posted:

Yeah, because as we've seen "Supercharger" was a great triumph. What irks me about Machine Head, and specifically Robb Flynn, is their blatant following and implementation of every single new trend that found its way into groove metal. It reeks of pandering and the compositions are boring to boot. But hey, I'm just one man.

I didn't say all their albums following Burn My Eyes were good, I said not all their albums following Burn My Eyes were poo poo. I stand by my comment that The Blackening is a fantastic metal album.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I love their first album and I thought their second was pretty good too. I do like The Blackening somehow but the album is just too long and some songs twice as long as they should be. I Always get bored halfway through. Flynn should quit being a crybaby and start to create some manly man songs again. His vocals on their last are loving terrible and none of the songs have anything interesting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Scorpions might be dadrock/metal (probably are judging by the ratio of old people in normal street clothes in attendance) but I don't give a poo poo, the show they put on was amazing, Klaus in particular was impressive and Kottak made half of the audience poo poo themselves during Dynamite. No Uli or Michael Schenker of course but that's hardly surprising news, and I got to see him at a festival anyway. Dunno where they're planning to tour next but I'd recommend it if you're at all into this sort of stuff.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mobby_6kl posted:

Scorpions might be dadrock/metal (probably are judging by the ratio of old people in normal street clothes in attendance) but I don't give a poo poo, the show they put on was amazing, Klaus in particular was impressive and Kottak made half of the audience poo poo themselves during Dynamite. No Uli or Michael Schenker of course but that's hardly surprising news, and I got to see him at a festival anyway. Dunno where they're planning to tour next but I'd recommend it if you're at all into this sort of stuff.
Haha, a couple of dudes left a band 35 years ago and it's "hardly surprising news"

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
New Nekrogoblikon song, We've Had Enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sx5xOQpzB8

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
So the autobiography of Randy Blythe looks like something out of fanfiction.net

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Throw that monster back in the clink, for he is a murderer of art.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

So the autobiography of Randy Blythe looks like something out of fanfiction.net

I bet a competent writer could make a good story out of his Czech manslaughter ordeal, although it would be more like a longform journalism piece.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Golem II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sx5xOQpzB8

That one video of theirs was kinda gimmickily funny and creative but they just remind me way too much of a better Cradle of Filth to really form a coherent opinion of them. Ehhhhhhhhh

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

sursumdeorsum posted:

cilice textures sikth

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Golem II posted:

agreed

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Darkness Descends is dull and repetitive. How is it considered a classic!?!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sursumdeorsum posted:

I came across the album Bloodstone & Diamonds by Machine Head because of the recommendation to their earlier stuff (which I didn't enjoy as much). I am loving this Machine Head album, anything similar to it out there? I appreciate the groovyness of it and high productions values if that helps with recommendations.

five finger death punch, black veil brides, seether, shinedown, bring me the horizon, avenged sevenfold, halestorm

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Alec Eiffel posted:

Darkness Descends is dull and repetitive. How is it considered a classic!?!

nice try troll :smug:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Trip report: holy poo poo Sabaton slams skulls. Nightwish was like a joke act trying to follow them.

Joakim (their lead singer): "My inspiration was Michael Jackson, I got in touch with him as a child." and "I want to thank you guys for saving our asses in WW2 otherwise we'd be singing loving German. Instead I have to sing loving English." :magical:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Apparently yesterday Mastodon was staying in town for a day on their way to a gig in Ohio. My brother's friend's girlfriend works at the front desk of the hotel they were staying at, and was chatting with their 'accountant' for like three hours. She sent a picture to my brother, and it was Troy loving Sanders. She got some cool stuff like guitar picks for them. She isn't familiar with them and totally believed him when he said he's just their accountant :lol:

Meanwhile my brother was scouring the restaurants in the area looking for them but could only find their road crew (turns out they were at Bleachers).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

comes along bort posted:

five finger death punch, black veil brides, seether, shinedown, bring me the horizon, avenged sevenfold, halestorm
My 8th grade Facebook Likes?

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
I've been reading about this 30 year Sepultura celebration and oh boy, have they gone downhill after the split. I watched the live video when they recently performed with Steve Vai and they sound so bad live, especially Derrick Green.
I mean, not that Soulfly has done anything worthwhile either, but I guess together they were able to make something better.

Cavalera Conspiracy has a few good songs here and there, I'll give them that.

At least we will always have Beneath The Remains. This album is a loving beast.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

"30 Year Celebration" Can it really be that if the bassist is the only original member?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

"30 Year Celebration" Can it really be that if the bassist is the only original member?

I think Napalm Death just did that with no original members

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Napalm Death can do anything they drat well please. :colbert:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CornHolio posted:

Apparently yesterday Mastodon was staying in town for a day on their way to a gig in Ohio. My brother's friend's girlfriend works at the front desk of the hotel they were staying at, and was chatting with their 'accountant' for like three hours. She sent a picture to my brother, and it was Troy loving Sanders. She got some cool stuff like guitar picks for them. She isn't familiar with them and totally believed him when he said he's just their accountant :lol:

Meanwhile my brother was scouring the restaurants in the area looking for them but could only find their road crew (turns out they were at Bleachers).

I always thought it would be cool as hell to meet them. I've heard they're super friendly but Brent can go 50/50 on being the nicest dude vs completely ignoring that you even exist.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

Haha, a couple of dudes left a band 35 years ago and it's "hardly surprising news"

That was a silly way to put it but both were kind of a big deal, though Matthias shreds pretty drat well too.

Possibly Chicken posted:

50 years and only rhythm guitarist or also vocalist if you go by the first studio album. Also, gently caress, fifty years, goddamn.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who cares... once Barney came in the band was kicking rear end left and right.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

kajeto posted:

I've been reading about this 30 year Sepultura celebration and oh boy, have they gone downhill after the split. I watched the live video when they recently performed with Steve Vai and they sound so bad live, especially Derrick Green.
I mean, not that Soulfly has done anything worthwhile either, but I guess together they were able to make something better.

Cavalera Conspiracy has a few good songs here and there, I'll give them that.

At least we will always have Beneath The Remains. This album is a loving beast.

I saw Cavelera Conspiracy a few weeks ago and they were pretty bad outside of the old Sepultura thrash medley they did. Seeing what's left of Sepultura next week, hopefully they play more thrash stuff. Either way I'm mainly going for Destruction and Arsis though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

dxt posted:

I saw Cavelera Conspiracy a few weeks ago and they were pretty bad outside of the old Sepultura thrash medley they did. Seeing what's left of Sepultura next week, hopefully they play more thrash stuff. Either way I'm mainly going for Destruction and Arsis though.

This is why I've never been excited about any possible reunion. None of them have consistently made anything worth listening to since Chaos AD, and if they did all get back together, it'd likely just be more lame jumpdafuckup type stuff.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 22, 2016

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
New BTBAM song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40wAZxMsTg

Pretty groovy and the production is crisp as hell

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I wonder what bands like Sepultura, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc., etc. think when they listen to their old albums. Do they -- deep down -- honestly and truly believe that their new stuff is just as good or do they forever wonder why they can't "nail it" like they did back in the early days? Or is it all simply a case of not having to give a gently caress anymore.

Well they're trying to sell a product, they aren't going to come out and claim that their new material is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Almost all musicians seem to lose their ability to generate hits as they age, whether it's as simple as running out of ideas or just a function of getting old and having a shift in perspective is anyone's guess. They probably think their new material is as good as they can produce at that particular moment, but I doubt any of them honestly believes it's as good as it used to be. But they'll never openly admit it because they want to sell something.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
At least Metallica is trying to do different things since Load. I tend to agree that it's not for the better, but at least they try, I'll give them that. Death Magnetic wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't for the stupid loudness poo poo they went for.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Do they -- deep down -- honestly and truly believe that their new stuff is just as good
Megadeth

or do they forever wonder why they can't "nail it" like they did back in the early days?
Slayer

Or is it all simply a case of not having to give a gently caress anymore.
Anthrax

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I think part of it is that a lot of these guys still just enjoy the process of making and playing music. For really successful bands (like the ones you mentioned), people are still buying albums and tickets, so why stop, even if you know you don't have another Reign in Blood or Master of Puppets in you?

If they hadn't written classic albums that they could still tour on, a lot of these dudes would probably be happy to be hired guns in other bands or session musicians or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never got into them back in the day but Testament is obviously #1 when it comes to leftover thrashers. Their newer album is the best one I've heard. Skolnick is an amazing man.

Kumbamontu posted:

New BTBAM song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40wAZxMsTg

Pretty groovy and the production is crisp as hell

These guys are so on point it's disgusting. I'm aching to hear the entire album.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 14, 2015