Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

The Church of Immaculate Incubation is a reference to the old comics, if I remember right.
Yeah that’s from the OG Aliens: Book One from 1988.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

So that's how Newt survived.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

The Church of Immaculate Incubation is a reference to the old comics, if I remember right.

It's still dumb as poo poo, like how the is it an "immaculate" incubation in a religious context when it literally requires someone to be impregnated and their entire cult is built around breaking into a place to get impregnated?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

yea man a cult that dumb just kills my suspension of disbelief.

they should emulate a sensible real world death cults like the branch davidians or heavens gate or the peoples temple or

I can't seem to download the chapter. I click the link and it goes to a cart, i go to check out and it has me log in. I log in with FB and my cart is empty now, goto 10.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mllaneza posted:

And there it is on the screen, "Highly Aggressive, Capable of Complex Thought" over what looks like a dissected xenomorph skull. Note to self: when exploring the laboratory of a mad genius, carry a loving stick to loving poke things with for gently caress's sake.

That's a good video, a must-watch if you're a fan.

Also dropping today is Chapter 7 of the Aliens RPG. This is the setting chapter. Everyone who pre-ordered got this. First impressions:

They seem to be setting up as a space truckers game, with xenomorphs optional. We get about a page worth of jobs, salary, and cost of living.

The wooden monastic space station is IN.

So are prison colonies.

You hypersleep because prolonged FTL travel makes people delusional, paranoid, and violently psychotic.

There's a whole page on religion. Including the Church of Immaculate Incubation.

A good chunk of the chapter is on spacecraft and the modules you can fit on them.

We have a full 13 pages worth of space combat rules, discounting the map and the two-page spread for the Conestoga-class frigate (the Sulacco).

Comments:

This should be two chapters. Life in Space and Spaceships and Combat. They are definitely setting up to support a long-term campaign where you play a ship's crew out on the frontier doing whatever you have to to keep your independence. Shades of Traveller and Firefly.

This book is sounding really interesting. I want something a bit more like paranoia rather than D&D if that makes sense? Like the book actually has some fairly specific gameplay in mind rather than just being a huge open-ended toolset for sandbox adventures?

I'd love something that was a bit of a middle-ground between a board game and an rpg. Something focused on short "campaigns" where everyone create a space trucker and the GM or dice play the alien and winning is simply surviving. Or maybe a bigger scope where you're just space truckers in the alien universe and again it's about surviving, earning money, and maybe encountering an alien. Something you can pick up and play with some friends over an evening or two and not be sad when the alien wipes your party or the lowest bid corporate computer system vents you all into space.

Ah it's all spelled out:
Cinematic play is based on pre-made scenarios that emulate the dramatic arc of an ALIEN film. Designed to be played in a single session, this game mode emphasizes high stakes and fast and brutal play. You are not all expected to survive. The core rulebook will be published alongside the complete Cinematic scenario Chariot of the Gods by sci-fi novelist Andrew E.C. Gaska.

Campaign play is designed for longer continuous play with the same cast of player characters over many game sessions, letting you explore the ALIEN universe freely, sandbox style. A range of campaign sourcebooks will be published in the years ahead.

Cool (although the official aliens rpg website is one of the worst sites I've ever tried to navigate. The screen keeps auto-scrolling and not letting me read the fuckin' text oh god why do modern web designers think gimmicks like this are good???)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 22, 2019

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

It's still dumb as poo poo, like how the is it an "immaculate" incubation in a religious context when it literally requires someone to be impregnated and their entire cult is built around breaking into a place to get impregnated?

You do know the immaculate conception was just Mary being born without sin and not the virgin birth of Jesus right? So the church simply believes the xenomorphs they incubate are free of sin. Makes perfect sense for a cult of crazy people who worship aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Horrible Taste posted:

You do know the immaculate conception was just Mary being born without sin and not the virgin birth of Jesus right? So the church simply believes the xenomorphs they incubate are free of sin. Makes perfect sense for a cult of crazy people who worship aliens.

I know but the way the cult's beliefs are described in the book are closer to like the Unitologists in Dead Space or something with how them hosting xenomorphs means they come into direct contact with god itself by being merged with them and everything about them is insanely dumb even by many other fictional death cult standards.

Now, as Owlbear Camus pointed out real life death cults are often way dumber than what we get in fiction. But like in real life, people are villainous petty assholes just because they're villainous petty assholes with no higher motivation or sensible reasoning behind it all the time. So to me that's makes perfect sense but also makes for non-compelling fiction the same way cults of crazy people that worship the bad thing for no consistent reason is kind of dumb to me. Like the same way a fleshed out villain is more compelling (and I don't mean that as necessarily being likable), I'm not a fan of cults in fiction where it's just, like, huh look these folks sure are some combination of naive/crazy because, like, no poo poo? Especially in a case like this where this cult in the story is relatively small, super secretive (despite every member having a massive xenomorph chest tattoo), and is somehow able to successfully break into+release xenomorphs on earth and destroy the planet.

Anyway I know this is stupid in the long run but that's why I'm not a fan.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Brad Dourif's scenes in Resurrection are great.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Neo Rasa posted:

I just remembered this scene from the comics and storming Area 51 seems like an even worse idea now. :tinfoil:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

el oso posted:

Brad Dourif's scenes in Resurrection are great.

He owns.

Something cool, he plays Piter De Vries in Lynch's Dune, and his look/hair/etc. in Resurrection is based on how the Suk doctors are described in the book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hunterhr posted:

I just remembered this scene from the comics and storming Area 51 seems like an even worse idea now. :tinfoil:

4Chan Idiots: they can't stop all of us !

USAF: Hold my beer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

This book is sounding really interesting. I want something a bit more like paranoia rather than D&D if that makes sense? Like the book actually has some fairly specific gameplay in mind rather than just being a huge open-ended toolset for sandbox adventures?

I'd love something that was a bit of a middle-ground between a board game and an rpg. Something focused on short "campaigns" where everyone create a space trucker and the GM or dice play the alien and winning is simply surviving. Or maybe a bigger scope where you're just space truckers in the alien universe and again it's about surviving, earning money, and maybe encountering an alien. Something you can pick up and play with some friends over an evening or two and not be sad when the alien wipes your party or the lowest bid corporate computer system vents you all into space.

Ah it's all spelled out:
Cinematic play is based on pre-made scenarios that emulate the dramatic arc of an ALIEN film. Designed to be played in a single session, this game mode emphasizes high stakes and fast and brutal play. You are not all expected to survive. The core rulebook will be published alongside the complete Cinematic scenario Chariot of the Gods by sci-fi novelist Andrew E.C. Gaska.

Campaign play is designed for longer continuous play with the same cast of player characters over many game sessions, letting you explore the ALIEN universe freely, sandbox style. A range of campaign sourcebooks will be published in the years ahead.

Cool (although the official aliens rpg website is one of the worst sites I've ever tried to navigate. The screen keeps auto-scrolling and not letting me read the fuckin' text oh god why do modern web designers think gimmicks like this are good???)

I prordered the game back when it was first launched largely for the cinematic play, but as I've read the rules and lore stuff included in the book I'm starting to lean more into wanting a continuous campaign. It's going to be real fun when I can actually get around to playing!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgWinF5VsNw

This looks really interesting.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I saw this at a film festival earlier in July (double feature: Memory followed by Alien), it was pretty good. Goes more into how the script came together, and how the production started, rather than about how the movie was made. It was good to see more about Dan O'Bannon and how it all came together.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m just not sure how it can top The Beast Within, which is maybe one of the greatest film documentaries of all time. Dan’s story from his perspective is the beating heart and soul of
It, and my heart always swells when he talks about seeing it with an audience for the first time.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The Beast Within, which is maybe one of the greatest film documentaries of all time. Dan’s story from his perspective is the beating heart and soul of
It, and my heart always swells when he talks about seeing it with an audience for the first time.

It’s definitely up there with Hearts of Darkness and Dangerous Days

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1174539148247519232

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sLA5wfDI

I don't know what's going on here but I kinda love it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi thread, I just watched Aliens and it's still really fun. Thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

brocked posted:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/sLA5wfDI

I don't know what's going on here but I kinda love it

So there's the Xenomorph, Godzilla, The Predator, Gypsy Danger and... a turd in a white robot suit?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got this in the mail and holy loving poo poo is it good. It’s WAY more comprehensive than I expected it to be.

Alien: The Blueprints https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UlSIDbNC9M23Z

Edit—
I haven’t had a chance to go through much of it yet, but this is real good, too:

The Making of Alien https://www.amazon.com/dp/1789090555/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4nSIDbS8X2KRY

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does the Blueprints book have blueprints of the derelict?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

Does the Blueprints book have blueprints of the derelict?

Not really; there are a few pages for the Derelict, but it’s exterior stuff only.

There’s some marginalia that’s pretty neat, and it feels like the artwork was justification for including the marginalia text since it’s an art book first, if that makes sense.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
https://twitter.com/crochetverse/status/1179845261595725829

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
^ would force my kid to wear if I had one.

Neo Rasa posted:

I know but the way the cult's beliefs are described in the book are closer to like the Unitologists in Dead Space or something with how them hosting xenomorphs means they come into direct contact with god itself by being merged with them and everything about them is insanely dumb even by many other fictional death cult standards.

In the comic Earth is receiving messages from the Alien Empress (I’m not sure what name they give it but I like empress). So the whole cult is really caused by the prime queen’s psychic messages.

I’ve only listened to alien theory’s youtube channel so no idea how it ends with the alien empress yet. Really fun idea that are even worse and more powerful aliens out there who can go one step further and influence your mind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That is drat impressive. Beyond impressive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Not bad, for a human.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Not bad, for a human.
You mean "hhhbhbhuuman".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So Memory: The Origins of Alien is up for rent on VOD, anyone see it yet? Probably going to check it out soon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Despite having seen the movie a million times and being a fan forever, I only just now realized that ‘Alien3’ foreshadows how the Alien gets killed.

After the chemical explosion we see the sprinklers turn on and a bucket cracks because of the temperature change. The Alien ends up getting killed by sprinklers because of the temperature change from the hot lead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

chekhov's sprinkler head

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

chekhov's sprinkler head

wrong franchise that's from star trek you idiot. you buffoon

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah but a lot of the ‘Aliens’ soundtrack is lifted wholesale from Wrath of Khan so it’s okay.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Battle Beyond The Stars and Krull are like ground zero for James Horner. You hear those, you've heard 95% of everything he subsequently wrote. (Another 3% is Commando's steel drums.)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

futile escape is a legit good piece that sounds a lot like surprise attack

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but a lot of the ‘Aliens’ soundtrack is lifted wholesale from Wrath of Khan so it’s okay.

Horner did this constantly.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Horner looks too much like Homer.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
The weirdest thing is that Horner's score is so much more appropriate for Aliens and if I didn't already know better I would've figured of course it was originally composed for that film, but no.

I've never actually understood why Star Trek II had so much horror movie-sounding music.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jerry Goldsmith > Horner to me

the sense of awe and size he puts into the planet discovery and exploration scenes is unbelievable

man actually all of the alien movies have bonkers good score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

man actually all of the alien movies have bonkers good score

Elliot Goldenthals score for Alien 3 is highly underrated. The performance of Adagio and Lento in this concert are amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6W-DZDkqg