Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Here's what all league mods would be:

1 rogue exile per zone (although in anarchy it was more like 1 per 10)
20% monster move/cast/attack speed
1+ shrine per zone
rares have a nemesis mod
1+ strongbox per zone
invasion boss + invading mobs
rampage
beyond
1+ ghost per zone
blue mobs have a bloodline mod
warbands
tempests
mobs with talismans
perandus fuckery
breaches

If they keep spawn rates close to how they were in leagues, instead of how they are in zana mods, it would only be Insane instead of impossible.

What I want is Darkshrines, and all the other mods, at zana rates. With ancestral, headhunter, exiles everywhere, and all the other insane race mods :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I want the league to give you super sextants that you apply to the atlas that grant the full version of a league mod, maybe even with multiple tiers of them like 2/4/6 exiles per map. You could customize your atlas to run whatever crazy combos you want and stack some insane maps if you wanted.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Does this game get more fun in late game? So far, I just completed Act 3 and found it immensely repetitive and a chore.

I don't get nearly enough skills and what loot I get is mostly useless unless they are tri link at least

Edit: Are unique more common in higher difficulties?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yes.
Normal is a bit of a slog, no lie. Especially when you've done it eleventy billion times.
The quest rewards are just a fraction of what you can use. Nessa/Yeena/Clarissa/Peterus + Vanja will sell other gems available to your class after you've completed the appropriate quest (pre-leveled to boot). Plus, any class can use any skill, so long as you meet the stat requirements.
Only in so much as you're more likely to have +rarity items equipped plus mapping where you can craft item quantity/rarity, but in the end game it's not like every mob is going to drop a unique item or anything.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They're more common when you're more capable of mass killing. The end game is where you'll find them most easily, because maps are actually worth clearing. Otherwise (unless it's your first time through) you're best off speeding through difficulties and aiming for maps. Which since they're more randomized are also more interesting.

That said this game primarily focuses on one attack skill, one movement skill, and various usually passive supporting skills. Unlike other games DOT layering or switching between cooldown skills isn't really a big thing here. Some/most builds can work in some Vaal skills for temporary boosts of big damage or buffs, but that's the closest most builds get to hammering different skills. So if that doesn't sound fun to you, it's likely not your game.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

theshim posted:

2.6 BLAMT league

loving hard at the thought of this tbh. It's like playing hard maps except while levelling and all the time. GG.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

DemonMage posted:

They're more common when you're more capable of mass killing. The end game is where you'll find them most easily, because maps are actually worth clearing. Otherwise (unless it's your first time through) you're best off speeding through difficulties and aiming for maps. Which since they're more randomized are also more interesting.

That said this game primarily focuses on one attack skill, one movement skill, and various usually passive supporting skills. Unlike other games DOT layering or switching between cooldown skills isn't really a big thing here. Some/most builds can work in some Vaal skills for temporary boosts of big damage or buffs, but that's the closest most builds get to hammering different skills. So if that doesn't sound fun to you, it's likely not your game.

Thanks! So I guess maps are endgame at the like in Cruel and Merciless? I guess I'll try to power through the story.

I tried searching but are there any good story summaries of what I just went through. I don't understand how come we ended up exiled but apparently there is a civilisation of blackguards and even some Piety bitch. I'm not even sure why she's so mean to me.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I mean, if you don't want her to be mean to you, you could always play a Duelist :heysexy:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

should i futilely attempt to go from 24 to 36 challenges in the next two weeks or level a dude on standard so i can use the shavs i have stashed there

e: vvv i don't even kill malachai til im like lvl 75 cause why bother

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

jerichojx posted:

Thanks! So I guess maps are endgame at the like in Cruel and Merciless? I guess I'll try to power through the story.

I tried searching but are there any good story summaries of what I just went through. I don't understand how come we ended up exiled but apparently there is a civilisation of blackguards and even some Piety bitch. I'm not even sure why she's so mean to me.

The end of Merciless is mapping. Can't even do maps in Cruel. As soon as you beat Merciless*, it's time to start mapping.

I'd hit up the Wiki for this game. This page gives the tl;dr version of events and this page has the background. The character voiceover's in the creation screen go over why they got banished to Wraeclast.

*After the first character in a league (for league challenge completion), most people just go up to the last skill point in Act 4 then farm Dried Lake until they hit the level they want, then go to maps. By this point you should have some stash of maps as well as Zana in your hideout

theshim posted:

I mean, if you don't want her to be mean to you, you could always play a Duelist :heysexy:

Piety all about dat rear end

vvv I'm really glad I got early Ex drops so I could by mine. BLOCK ALL THE THINGS!

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 13, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

also i really hope breaches aren't that rare cause i'm considering making a block duelist and i really want the surrender

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think you mean she's all about that arse.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I didn't play this league because I play every other league generally, but I just finished my first race ever and it was fun :3:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shame, because Breach is way better than Essence was.

Also, do Headhunter races. They're The Best(tm).

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

whypick1 posted:

Shame, because Breach is way better than Essence was.

Also, do Headhunter races. They're The Best(tm).

I was just burned out and wanted to be fresh for 3.0, which I had though was coming in March :smith:

I'm thinking about doing my first non-race HC character tomorrow and just dicking around for the remainder of the season. I RIP'd 2 dudes on Hailrake in the first 10 minutes, but the added pressure of dying ending everything is pretty fun.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I was planning to wait for 3.0.0 too but Breach sounded fun, so I went for it. Really glad I did, it's not a really complicated mechanic, but it's fun and is more of what makes PoE fun (slaughtering lots of things and getting fun loot). Last time I had this much fun was probably the Cadiro league, which was really nice for making a lot of good uniques accessible even if it also meant that finding one on him that sold for >1 chaos was real rare. Hopefully Breach doesn't wind up too rare in 3.0.0 :(

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

jerichojx posted:

To answer these questions specifically: Wraeclast is a death trap due to all the evil magic soaked in to it, and Theopolis just sends criminals there like it's extra-deadly Australia. At the same time, a couple high-ranking people in Theopolis (Dominus and Piety, mostly) go looking for all the research done on the evil magic left in the ruins of Wraeclast.

You find Piety early on cause she's nabbing all of Shavronne's and Maligaro's research notes in the prison and the chamber of sin, and she's mean to you because she's a fascist and you're a criminal her boss sent to die. Dominus sucks and isn't as rad as he thinks he is because Piety couldn't get everything she wanted to turn him in to a super worm. Starting with Act 4 all the bosses are reanimated historical figures from Sarn.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

All you need to know about the story is that PIETY OF THEOPOLIS is literally worse than Hitler.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ekster posted:

All you need to know about the story is that PIETY OF THEOPOLIS is literally worse than Hitler.
That's Gruust, actually. :colbert:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

To answer these questions specifically: Wraeclast is a death trap due to all the evil magic soaked in to it, and Theopolis just sends criminals there like it's extra-deadly Australia. At the same time, a couple high-ranking people in Theopolis (Dominus and Piety, mostly) go looking for all the research done on the evil magic left in the ruins of Wraeclast.

You find Piety early on cause she's nabbing all of Shavronne's and Maligaro's research notes in the prison and the chamber of sin, and she's mean to you because she's a fascist and you're a criminal her boss sent to die. Dominus sucks and isn't as rad as he thinks he is because Piety couldn't get everything she wanted to turn him in to a super worm. Starting with Act 4 all the bosses are reanimated historical figures from Sarn.

So what's the story about Sarn? Why is the main continent the sucky place and some bumfuck island is the main city? How did Dominus and gang end up much further inland than you? Were Nessa and the people all over Wraeclast all exiles?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jerichojx posted:

So what's the story about Sarn? Why is the main continent the sucky place and some bumfuck island is the main city? How did Dominus and gang end up much further inland than you? Were Nessa and the people all over Wraeclast all exiles?
There's lots of lore about Sarn et. al. here. The second sentence makes no sense no matter the way I interpret it. Dominus and the gang have troops and poo poo, and can actually travel where they want, whereas you have been thrown off the ship in the middle of the sea, and brought ashore by waves. Not all people in Wraeclast are exiles - Nessa, for instance, is a shipwreck survivor.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The second sentence makes no sense no matter the way I interpret it.

He's referring to how Theopolis is in Oriath, an island off the south coast of Wraeclast that isn't very big.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 13, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Moddington posted:

He's referring to how Theopolis is in Oriath, an island off the coast of Wraeclast that isn't very big.

Oh, yeah, I see what was meant with this clarification. Oriath is relevant since waste swathes of the continent are a wasteland, and the other part of it was the Empire, that first collapsed via Voll's (the last emperor) madness, then got "magically nuked" by Malachai, which makes Oriath being the only relatively unscathed part of the world with any semblance of structure to it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oriath (an outpost of the Eternal Empire) survived, but so did many other named locations. Like the lands of the Maraketh and Ezomyr and the Karui, and so too did the Eternal practice of raiding their territories for slaves.

Well, the Maraketh seem to be the best off, they're separated from Oriath by defensible terrain, and so can pick and choose their battles.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What was that ball lightning pathfinder build someone was playing earlier league? Could you elaborate on the build?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jinnigan posted:

What was that ball lightning pathfinder build someone was playing earlier league? Could you elaborate on the build?

to abuse the best flasks (Dying Sun and Vinktar's) you need a spell that deals proj and area damage, be a pathfinder, and run CI

the tree should build itself from there

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
What are the good melee builds these days that should have decent longevity? HoWA seems to be all the rage but everyone thinks it'll get nerfed soon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Books On Tape posted:

What are the good melee builds these days that should have decent longevity? HoWA seems to be all the rage but everyone thinks it'll get nerfed soon.
They made an official post yesterday that HoWA is not getting nerfed significantly.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They made an official post yesterday that HoWA is not getting nerfed significantly.

Not getting nerfed significantly before 3.0, anyway.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

Not getting nerfed significantly before 3.0, anyway.
I mean the question surely was asking for a build for 3.0 or :laffo: a permanent league.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I mean the question surely was asking for a build for 3.0 or :laffo: a permanent league.
Or maybe just for 2.6? I mean, 3.0's gonna have a bunch of changes by the sound of it, so it'd be pretty premature to try to make claims for it. For now, Blade Flurry (HoWA or not) or Earthquake seem to be the melee builds of choice (or meatballs, sorta).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:eyepop:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Cyclone also is good, ele with a foil, or just regular 2h

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Ngahamu's Cyclone is amazing for general mapping and unlikely to get nerfed as it doesn't completely steamroll stuff like guardians/shaper. At least not the same level that HoWA or poison/burn builds do.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

to abuse the best flasks (Dying Sun and Vinktar's) you need a spell that deals proj and area damage, be a pathfinder, and run CI

the tree should build itself from there

I was looking at mathil's spark/voltaxic build and thinking: I bet you could do exactly the same thing and just slot ball lightning in there instead

e: i'm trying to put the build together and? how does drillneck interact with spark or ball lightning? do you still get the +projectile damage even if you're not using arrows?? e2: yes, it does. that's helpful

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 13, 2017

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Didn't they say they're not nerfing howa cause they're making changes to ES and some of the passives interactions and then they'll see if that brings howa in line or if it need slight tweaking then?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Didn't they say they're not nerfing howa cause they're making changes to ES and some of the passives interactions and then they'll see if that brings howa in line or if it need slight tweaking then?
Yeah, they did. Their HoWA intentions for 2.6 specifically are minor adjustments at most.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
It sounded more like they weren't going to change HoWA at all in 2.6, and shooting for minor adjustments, if any, in 3.0

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, HoWA itself may not need any nerfs depending on how the ES / VP nerfs end up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I could see them putting a 50% less on Ghost Reaver or something.

• Locked thread