Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

idk why jave cant just use a makefile like everybody else

you can use a makefile for java. honestly, java is one of the languages best-suited to makefiles, because javac is really well behaved.

people use maven because maven is genuinely better, not because makefiles and java are a bad combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dessert Rose posted:

orms are awful

source: i used activerecord in a couple of apps. it was Bad.

activerecord is poo poo

this is not an indictment of all ORM attempts ever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
active record is so so bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
there's a restaurant here that does omakase dining it makes me lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Flat Daddy posted:

but there's so many of them

there's so many of them for the same reason there's so many awful web frameworks and awful programming languages and awful linux distros

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i'm not sure what that reason is, but there must be a reason, right?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

there is a reason, and tef wrote it down for us

http://programmingisterrible.com/post/65781074112/devils-dictionary-of-programming

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

no two programmers can agree on anything other than Ron Paul

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
EDIT: Whoops wrong thread.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
so some dickheads keep doing bad logs in my java by using the + symbol with a string on one side and an array (of strings usually) on the other.

any ideas on how i could use some kind of static code analysis to find dumb implicit tostring()s or dumb string concatenation since it seems to be happening a lot

:stonkhat:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

findbugs

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

you'll get http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/bugDescriptions.html#DMI_INVOKING_TOSTRING_ON_ARRAY, be prepared to be sad about all the idiocy in your codebase the first time you run it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

java 8 supposedly has collections w/ lazily evaluating higher order functions so you can move beyond for loop janitoring

if you need linq as expression trees passed into iqueryables well youre prolly hosed then
this is cool but im targeting an Oracle 11 db so it's java 1.5 for me

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
current terrible convex programmer status: only just discovered disciplined convex programming and cvxpy. this is magic. doesn't do anything i can't do already, but god i hate all the cryptic fukkin matricies that you usually have to set up

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Brain Candy posted:

you'll get http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/bugDescriptions.html#DMI_INVOKING_TOSTRING_ON_ARRAY, be prepared to be sad about all the idiocy in your codebase the first time you run it

sweet i will test out findbugs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

opt posted:

our build.gradle files are just a list of plugins and dependencies...i guess it would suck if people just use it as a place to ad hoc script some build poo poo

that's litterrally why it exists. some idiot wanted to be able to write build scripts like some dumb loving caveman

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ctrl-f "" +"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can use a makefile for java. honestly, java is one of the languages best-suited to makefiles, because javac is really well behaved.

people use maven because maven is genuinely better, not because makefiles and java are a bad combination.

make files are extremely bad and you'd have to be insane to use one over maven.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

that's litterrally why it exists. some idiot wanted to be able to write build scripts like some dumb loving caveman

we heard you like building software, so we moved your build process into code, so you can build while you build

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
who needs metadata? if you want to identify a package, just run this untrusted code from the internet

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah but that's exactly what maven does and people love it so

Fetching http://awesome.archive.org/totally-legit.10.2.4.jar...

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Fetching from public repositories is super sweet for one offs and projects no one else cares about, but Maven lets you use servers like Nexus where your company can vet the dependencies you pull in and not exposing your build server the internet.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

javac is loving terrible to use with makefiles, it doesn't support incremental builds

you might as well use a shell script

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we just had our app developer that we contract with tell us it would take them 40 man hours of work to animate an icon moving from the middle of the screen to the left side of the screen, and the best part is we're institutionally incapable of calling them out on it so we just have to take that at face value and pay them for 40 hours of work to do it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

fart simpson posted:

we just had our app developer that we contract with tell us it would take them 40 man hours of work to animate an icon moving from the middle of the screen to the left side of the screen, and the best part is we're institutionally incapable of calling them out on it so we just have to take that at face value and pay them for 40 hours of work to do it

So you're paying about four thousand dollars for this?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im not sure how much we actually pay them but i wouldnt be surprised if it was more than that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

b0lt posted:

javac is loving terrible to use with makefiles, it doesn't support incremental builds

you might as well use a shell script

yeah, and java compilation parallelizes very well, while most makefile structures don't. buck does very good things here, especially the API tracking to avoid rebuilding the world when you make a non-interface change to some class that's at the root of your graph.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think ive ever had a java project so big that build time was a factor

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Im looking forward to dockers reaching it's natural conclusion of all jar files being replaced with containers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Im looking forward to the docker fad reaching its natural conclusion of all containers being replaced with jar files

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have to learn how to build a docker container for something this week, looking forward to it!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's really great. i've gotten like 100x better at CJing because docker makes it fun

docker compose kinda blows. cant wait for it to be like kubernetes on your own machine or something

cant wait til i can shut down a container and email it to someone so they can debug my poo poo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

wha? aren't containers just super lightweight vms how is that helping you be a better CJ

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

wha? aren't containers just super lightweight vms how is that helping you be a better CJ

i guess you just don't *get* #devops

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fart simpson posted:

40 hours is pretty normal for a moderately complex ad hoc change.

Of course if it's a toy app with no QA or release cycle then yes it's a ripoff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bhodi posted:

yeah but that's exactly what maven does and people love it so

Fetching http://awesome.archive.org/totally-legit.10.2.4.jar...

who cares; why would there be a dodgy package within my own solution

the "security" bullshit* in nuget is what makes it unusable

* because it's not any security at all. It's a "press the button to make it do what you expect it should already have done".

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

~Coxy posted:

40 hours is pretty normal for a moderately complex ad hoc change.

Of course if it's a toy app with no QA or release cycle then yes it's a ripoff.

i dont see how it's even moderately complex, it's like the simplest possible animation. plus it's not ad hoc, it was in our original design specifications that they agreed to and we're just trying to get them to actually do it, and also we provide all the qa so they aren't factoring that in :q:

e: also they've already done the same type of animation on a different page in the app, we're just asking them to repeat it but with a different moving icon in another spot

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

no worries, I take it back completely :)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
so i don't know anything about anything but i wrote a cool javascript bookmarklet that does some cool stuff

it works for me in firefox 36, but when i run it in firefox 30, the console says syntax error on line 2

line 2 is empty, lines 1 and 3 contain // style comments and all the line endings are CRLF

any hints? i'm going to try upgrading the browser at some point but i'm not doing anything fancy in my javascript, it's all really basic stuff i learned from mdn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
never mind, it's not line 2 of my script, it's line 2 of some google page that google is serving up instead of my script

• Locked thread