Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bum the Sad posted:

So what are the highest yield recipes I can cheese the game with?
Four durians and something else random gave me 15 temporary hearts. I about fell out of my drat chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Space T Rex posted:

Any meat + any plant with the word "hearty" in it always gives a minimum of full health + 1 temp. But usually gives at least + 3 or more. Got a + 6 once or twice I think even.

The meat is unnecessary. Any hearty item when cooked, even by itself, will always result in a full heal due to the way temp hearts work. So if you just want a full heal, a single truffle thrown into a pot will give you that. The only stuff you should add would be items that give more temp hearts to improve the potency of the dish.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

CrashCat posted:

For all those folks feeling the Korok blues... don't try setting up your sensor to find Treasure Chests :getin:

Treasure chest manufacturing was the largest industry in Hyrule.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Where's the best place to get durians? I don't remember ever seeing one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

Any meat + any plant with the word "hearty" in it always gives a minimum of full health + 1 temp. But usually gives at least + 3 or more. Got a + 6 once or twice I think even.

You don't even need the meat. Just cook the hearty plant on its own, or multiples. For example, each Hearty Durian gives +4 temporary hearts, so if you cook three together, it's a guaranteed full heal +12 temporary hearts.

RCarr posted:

There's a little ledge next to the Faron Tower where you can get like 12-14 of them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RCarr posted:

The forest and jungle in the lower right corner of the map is where durians grow. Also you can buy them in Gerudo Town.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CrashCat posted:

Four durians and something else random gave me 15 temporary hearts. I about fell out of my drat chair.
My mistake, it was 16 :unsmigghh:

Well beaten but now you have an obnoxious huge shot of it

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I did the Ganon fight again, is there a way to predict which horse you get? Is it the last horse you've taken out or is it a random one that you've registered? The first time I got the pure white horse, the second time I got Big Horse.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Internet Kraken posted:

The meat is unnecessary. Any hearty item when cooked, even by itself, will always result in a full heal due to the way temp hearts work. So if you just want a full heal, a single truffle thrown into a pot will give you that. The only stuff you should add would be items that give more temp hearts to improve the potency of the dish.

I'm just going to stop posting I don't know anything about anything haha.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CrashCat posted:

My mistake, it was 16 :unsmigghh:

Well beaten but now you have an obnoxious huge shot of it

I'm glad that you dyed your bandanna blue like I did. The red colour did nothing for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm having trouble figuring out what Hard Mode could be that's both realistic and not tedious.

Breath of the Wild doesn't need enemies to hit harder--they already hit really hard, especially by Zelda standards. The reason they're not a threat is because temporary hearts are overpowered and you can eat in combat. Giving enemies more HP would just be tedious, especially with breakable weapons.

What I'd like would be some systems changes and a few changes to enemy behavior, but I can't imagine Nintendo going that far with it. I think what I'd do for Hard Mode, without going too far into redesigning the game, would be:
  • Hearty and Enduring ingredients are much, much rarer, maybe to the point that they never occur in the wild and can only be purchased. Or the ones that occur in the wild take much, much, much longer to respawn.
  • No eating when "occupied." The occupied state would be when you're in combat, climbing something, or swimming. So no binge-eating through combat or to refill your stamina when climbing.
  • Stronger enemies show up sooner and in larger numbers, and lynels sometimes appear where you wouldn't expect them.
  • A few new, nasty enemy behaviors, like bokoblins spawning with triple-shot bows and bomb arrows, enemies with shields attempting to parry you, maybe high-rank enemies even get abilities that mimic the Champion abilities (shields, high jump to plunging attack you, one enemy that can heal its allies and needs to die first, that kind of thing).
Some of those are more realistic than others (enemies spawning with nastier weapons and ammo types, lynels spawning in extra-dangerous places), to be fair.

If Hard Mode just makes enemies hit harder and have more HP I'm going to be really disappointed. Also I hope that, if Hard Mode ends up actually being fun, you can play Hard Mode from the start and it isn't a NG+ thing so that when I replay the game on Switch I'll have a new experience.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm glad that you dyed your bandanna blue like I did. The red colour did nothing for me.
Also because I wanted the HP gauge and can't dye that piece :ssh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Not being able to eat in combat is fine, but not being able to eat while climbing or gliding removes the entire point of stamina restoring foods.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Not being able to eat in combat is fine, but not being able to eat while climbing or gliding removes the entire point of stamina restoring foods.

Hm, fair enough. How about a "fullness" meter? Eating food makes Link full and he can't eat again for X amount of time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just have Link get fat and throw up if you eat too much. Like in San Andreas.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

You don't even need the meat. Just cook the hearty plant on its own, or multiples. For example, each Hearty Durian gives +4 temporary hearts, so if you cook three together, it's a guaranteed full heal +12 temporary hearts.

There's a little ledge next to the Faron Tower where you can get like 12-14 of them.

Show me your ledge!!! I can't find it.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Why can't you spin Link around in the menu to make him barf???

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bum the Sad posted:

Show me your ledge!!! I can't find it.
Stand on the Faron Tower and listen - there's a couple of lizalfos standing on it bitching at each other.

(Or maybe reciting love poetry. Don't want to be prejudiced here.)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

Just have Link get fat and throw up if you eat too much. Like in San Andreas.

ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat CAMEL, LINK!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I just started playing, got to Impa and was told to go find memory spots. Then I got bored, jumped off the mountain into what was apparently Zora territory and am now getting instagibbed by a Lynel? I guess I need to go follow the memory quest instead of getting blasted over and over.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It might be cool if, instead of doing more damage, the enemies in hard mode just attacked faster. Tighten up the window for flurry and discourage getting right up in the face of a Hinox or Lynel.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This game has the best lizalfos. Love their dumb chameleon faces and all the noises and dances they do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PantsBandit posted:

It might be cool if, instead of doing more damage, the enemies in hard mode just attacked faster. Tighten up the window for flurry and discourage getting right up in the face of a Hinox or Lynel.

Why would you want to encourage the player to chainstun Hinox even more though? There's nothing hard about that.

Flurry rush is definitely something that needs to be adjusted. The timing for it is super generous on some attacks like the lynel's charge.

El Burbo posted:

This game has the best lizalfos. Love their dumb chameleon faces and all the noises and dances they do.

I like how if you stand a few feet away from a camouflaged one they will look at you, hoping that you haven't actually noticed them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I just started playing, got to Impa and was told to go find memory spots. Then I got bored, jumped off the mountain into what was apparently Zora territory and am now getting instagibbed by a Lynel? I guess I need to go follow the memory quest instead of getting blasted over and over.

You don't have to fight him, you just sneak around and nab arrows.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Echophonic posted:

You just have to do two cash-ins, I think. I did my first two near Kakariko and the next time I saw him was back home.
Yeah, as long as he says he's heading home you can find him at Korok village afterwards. I didn't bump into him along the way, and still saw him there when I arrived later.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Accidentally wandered into the boss chamber while exploring Hyrule Castle. That was pretty rad.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

PantsBandit posted:

I kind of agree (and would love to see the follow up to BOTW have a more complex, soulsy melee system) but I don't think the frame rate is there. Sometimes combat in this game feels like playing Punch-Out on an HDTV through a receiver

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Feel free to ignore the quests and just go after whatever. There are randomly tough spots everywhere so don't take that as a total indication to stay away. There's almost always an alternative path. Shrines and towers are probably the best first priority because they're fast travel points. If you just want to break the game do the Rito dungeon first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A there a key to making elixirs? It's usually monster parts mixed with bones or whatever right? I'll mix stuff that says it's good for elixirs and end up with dubious food more often than not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, definitely not more damage, but faster and more aggressive attacks would be good. Maybe enemies spawn in larger numbers, too--handling multiple enemies is a better way to ramp up the challenge than increasing each individual enemy's stats.

I think making Hearty/Enduring food rarer and disabling eating in combat would also be good. That's probably about all that would be necessary to make a decent hard mode. I'd love it if there were somehow a few new enemy types or unexpected new things enemies could do, but I kinda doubt they'd go that far.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

veni veni veni posted:

A there a key to making elixirs? It's usually monster parts mixed with bones or whatever right? I'll mix stuff that says it's good for elixirs and end up with dubious food more often than not.

mix critters that say they give x effect with monster bits that dont give any effect. like a hot footed frog with some bokoblin horns. if you mix more than one effect like say a rhino beetle and a dragonfly guy then you get dubious food

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Gross stuff like lizards and bugs plus monster parts equals elixirs. Mushrooms, fruits, veggies, fish, and crabs are considered "food" and thus do NOT make elixirs.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

veni veni veni posted:

Bugs (frogs, lizards, butterflies) + monster bits. If you sort your ingredients menu everything after the fairy is for elixirs.

Spergatory posted:

Gross stuff like lizards and bugs plus monster parts equals elixirs. Mushrooms, fruits, veggies, fish, and crabs are considered "food" and thus do NOT make elixirs.

You can drop a nut into an elixir to make it restore hearts as well, but that's the only exception I know of.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I think monster parts themselves affect the duration (and value). I managed to cook up a 15 minute flame guard just loving around to make things to sell because I started with the most valuable parts.

What are the recipes with the Chu jellies and Keese bits? So far that's the only thing that isn't obvious to me. Keese wings and eyeballs seem to ruin everything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok thanks. So I was mixing lizaros tails with with stuff like boboken horns and moblin horns etc. should I have been mixing the tails with frogs and lizards etc. instead?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CrashCat posted:

I don't have one but the box made it sound like all you could use it for is to put cheats on real amiibos. Like making your Smash amiibos max level or something. I guess it's good for loading Wolf Link with 20 hearts but you'd already have to have one.
What makes you think a legal product that does something that cuts into Nintendo's Amiibo profits is going to actually put on its box "hey, by the way, you can basically emulate every amiibo in existence with this!"

It's a 2 part system. 1 part, the base, is the part that acts as the tag changer. The other part is a power tag which is basically an amiibo base that will act as the emulated amiibo. With the software provided, you load up a .bin file, put the tag onto the base, hit apply. You now have a tag that is any amiibo. Rinse and repeat, no muss and no fuss.

As for the Hard Mode chatter, considering this game's focus on preparation for survival, I think the "can't eat during battle" limit is probably the best thing for Hard Mode. Also, double the amount of time between autosaves and only allow manual saves at campfires, but that includes the ones you make yourself.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 25, 2017

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tails, guts and horns are the "parts", lizards, bugs and butterflies provide the "effects". More than one of the same effect piece seems like it should boost the effect but it doesn't always so I am a bit confused on that.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DaveKap posted:

It's a 2 part system. 1 part, the base, is the part that acts as the tag changer. The other part is a power tag which is basically an amiibo base that will act as the emulated amiibo. With the software provided, you load up a .bin file, put the tag onto the base, hit apply. You now have a tag that is any amiibo. Rinse and repeat, no muss and no fuss.
I didn't catch that they gave you a tag, just a writer. Of course I didn't expect them to advertise :filez: but I missed that bit. I'll have to check that next time I'm at the store then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Ok thanks. So I was mixing lizaros tails with with stuff like boboken horns and moblin horns etc. should I have been mixing the tails with frogs and lizards etc. instead?

Yeah, you need critters with special effects. You can see what they do in their descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CrashCat posted:

I didn't catch that they gave you a tag, just a writer. Of course I didn't expect them to advertise :filez: but I missed that bit. I'll have to check that next time I'm at the store then.
It says that it includes a power tag on the box. It's this: http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307
If they aren't selling this (just buy it online with a pickup at store option) then it's not the right one.

Edit: Oh, also, another hard mode idea - every blood moon you lose your weaponry. :getin:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 25, 2017