Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kill me now posted:

A FAC or missile boat can't sail from CONUS to all the places we would actually want to use a LCS on their own like the LCS can.

sweet, the LCS can drive on its own to a place where it will die very quickly far away from CONUS, which is good because...

the LCS can't do poo poo on its own unless it's in an extremely permissive environment, otherwise it needs support from boats that can actually do stuff. I do really love the idea of a 50kt hundred million dollar low RCS minesweeper, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

There were several factors.

First, the 2-pounder was supposed to be replaced in production by the 6-pounder (which was an excellent AT gun in 1940) much earlier, but that changed after Dunkirk. With the near-total los of the BEF's equipment, the British was forced to make the decision between keeping the old gun in production and having a sub-par weapon; or else go ahead and retool for the new one and have essentially no weapon at all for almost a year. Staring down the threat of an actual invasion (Sealion looked much more feasible from London in 1940 than it does in hindsight), the choice was easy.

Second, with the Battle of Britain raging, the bulk of resources went to AA and Fighter Command. Tanks had to take a back seat for awhile.

Third, a lot of Britain's tank manufacturers had trouble making decent-sized turret rings. Small rings=small turrets=small guns.

Finally, their projects to make really good tanks kept running into delays caused by making perfect the enemy of the good.

The 6-pdr didn't have an HE shell either though. If all you want is AP performance, then the 2-pdr was fine against all but the newest German tanks with 50 mm armour.

Also the Soviets put a 76 mm gun into the Matilda and there was a project to put an 85 mm gun into the Valentine somehow, a small turret ring is not an issue if you believe in yourself.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
No it won't because the point of the LCS is to be a patrol vessel not a frontline combat warship. The LCS is survivable enough for the missions it was actually designed to do, namely, the miscellaneous stuff we used OHPs for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

someone made a really expensive patrol vessel and forgot the guns

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't worry, if it comes under attack, they will just throw off the hastily bolted on galvanic block, and the boat will dissolve before any harm can be done to it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

The 6-pdr didn't have an HE shell either though.
It did. The Americans decided not to make them or the canister rounds for it so their 57mm guns were far less useful for infantry support than the British OQF 6 pdr unless they managed to get some buckshee prior to late 44 at least.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

someone made a really expensive patrol vessel and forgot the guns

anything to put an end to gunboat diplomacy

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

It did. The Americans decided not to make them or the canister rounds for it so their 57mm guns were far less useful for infantry support than the British OQF 6 pdr unless they managed to get some buckshee prior to late 44 at least.

Huh, interesting, I guess none were sent to the USSR then, since the trials report for the Valentine Mk.IX complains that there is no HE shell.

Interestingly enough, the trials of the Valentine Mk.II say that there is an HE shell and the British just refused to send any.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mortabis posted:

No it won't because the point of the LCS is to be a patrol vessel not a frontline combat warship. The LCS is survivable enough for the missions it was actually designed to do, namely, the miscellaneous stuff we used OHPs for.

The LCS isn't survivable enough to withstand contact with water let alone gunfire

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
for $500 million a ship, thats a reaaaaaally expensive patrol ship.

Can someone who knows more about this explain this better? It feels like we built something that is kinda lacking in capability, and is really expensive for what it can do?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 19, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Saint Celestine posted:

Can someone who knows more about this explain this better? It feels like we built something that is kinda lacking in capability, and is really expensive for what it can do?

Whoops you just accidentally summed up the entire history of military procurement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Saint Celestine posted:

They wanted to build a lot of them, but costs overran like they always do, then they cut the program to a lot less, which meant the unit cost ended up huge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Huh, interesting, I guess none were sent to the USSR then, since the trials report for the Valentine Mk.IX complains that there is no HE shell.

Interestingly enough, the trials of the Valentine Mk.II say that there is an HE shell and the British just refused to send any.
They took a long time to get things spun up for production, so it's likely that they sent most of them to Africa for use by field guns and the Soviets got the short end and just ended up moving on to the Mk. XI instead with the OQF 75mm.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Fangz posted:

They wanted to build a lot of them, but costs overran like they always do, then they cut the program to a lot less, which meant the unit cost ended up huge.

And they have also scaled back the modular combat module portion of the program which gutted a lot of the capabilities from the ships.

As it stands now it looks like they will just be equipping each LCS for a single mission only (mine countermeasures, surface warfare, ASW)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Would it be fair to say that military procurement in democracies have the habit of falling into the pattern of "government announces large and overly optimistic program to widespread public acclaim, then next government from opposing party kills or partially kills the underperforming program to again widespread public acclaim, then announces new alternative program"?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

Would it be fair to say that military procurement in democracies have the habit of falling into the pattern of "government announces large and overly optimistic program to widespread public acclaim, then next government from opposing party kills or partially kills the underperforming program to again widespread public acclaim, then announces new alternative program"?

no.

most democracies have permanent, and ostensibly apolitical, military establishments to ensure continuity in defense policy. the same for foreign policy. there are also elements of corporate welfare and jobs programs that support defense contractors and representatives of places reliant on defense industries, so programs develop democratic constituencies. what you describe is arguably more likely in authoritarian societies as a result of competition between factions.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

kill me now posted:

And they have also scaled back the modular combat module portion of the program which gutted a lot of the capabilities from the ships.

As it stands now it looks like they will just be equipping each LCS for a single mission only (mine countermeasures, surface warfare, ASW)

Kinda feel like you'd have to be deaf dumb and blind not to have seen that coming from the start. The swappable modules thing was always ridiculous.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Gnoman posted:

There were several factors.

First, the 2-pounder was supposed to be replaced in production by the 6-pounder (which was an excellent AT gun in 1940) much earlier, but that changed after Dunkirk. With the near-total los of the BEF's equipment, the British was forced to make the decision between keeping the old gun in production and having a sub-par weapon; or else go ahead and retool for the new one and have essentially no weapon at all for almost a year. Staring down the threat of an actual invasion (Sealion looked much more feasible from London in 1940 than it does in hindsight), the choice was easy.

Second, with the Battle of Britain raging, the bulk of resources went to AA and Fighter Command. Tanks had to take a back seat for awhile.

Third, a lot of Britain's tank manufacturers had trouble making decent-sized turret rings. Small rings=small turrets=small guns.

Finally, their projects to make really good tanks kept running into delays caused by making perfect the enemy of the good.

Additionally IIRC early on the British mounted the guns on a balanced mount where the gunner aimed it like a rifle (for better moving accuracy, with the gunner basically functioning like a crude stabilizer), which limits the size of the gun that can be mounted before you have to go back to a traditional howitzer style mounting. And IIRC as a result the British also had trouble balancing their turrets when they went back to regular mounts because they'd spent the 30s and early 40s just balancing the gun instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Kinda feel like you'd have to be deaf dumb and blind not to have seen that coming from the start. The swappable modules thing was always ridiculous.

The StanFlex system the Danes use seems to be fairly logical and useful as you might expect from the country that invented Lego. The modules are standard across ship classes and each vessel has multiple module slots so that's quite a bit different from the LCS mission modules already.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

no.

most democracies have permanent, and ostensibly apolitical, military establishments to ensure continuity in defense policy. the same for foreign policy. there are also elements of corporate welfare and jobs programs that support defense contractors and representatives of places reliant on defense industries, so programs develop democratic constituencies. what you describe is arguably more likely in authoritarian societies as a result of competition between factions.

Sounds like what seems to happen all the time in Canada

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So we have a $500 million dollar minesweeper?

Amazing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Also the Soviets put a 76 mm gun into the Matilda and there was a project to put an 85 mm gun into the Valentine somehow, a small turret ring is not an issue if you believe in yourself.

This statement seems tounge-in-cheek, but have you done an article on the Matilda II/76 attempt? I can't seem to find one on your blog.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Additionally IIRC early on the British mounted the guns on a balanced mount where the gunner aimed it like a rifle (for better moving accuracy, with the gunner basically functioning like a crude stabilizer), which limits the size of the gun that can be mounted before you have to go back to a traditional howitzer style mounting. And IIRC as a result the British also had trouble balancing their turrets when they went back to regular mounts because they'd spent the 30s and early 40s just balancing the gun instead.

I've heard that story apocryphally, but never in any primary sources. The shoulder-balanced gun was definitely A Thing, but I've never seen any official source to support the narrative that it was a major hassle to move away from, and the timeline doesn't support it. The 6-pounder was too big for such a mount, and the British were quite eager to replace the 2-pounder (introduced in 1935) with the 6-pounder (development started in 1938, was supposed to replace the 2-pounder completely by 1940 or early 1941 but was delayed by Dunkirk and didn't enter service until 1942). If the shoulder stabilization was such a huge problem, they wouldn't have planned to throw it away in just 3 years.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Quinntan posted:

It's true, that's Canadian procurement in a nutshell

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

This statement seems tounge-in-cheek, but have you done an article on the Matilda II/76 attempt? I can't seem to find one on your blog.

It hasn't been requested yet. I'll add it to the queue. In the meantime, I posted a document on the card cancellation of the rearmament program.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
American procurement is so long and murky, you don't even know who to blame

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Quinntan posted:

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's true, that's Canadian procurement in a nutshell

Canada is an interesting case because it has very modest defense needs and they are almost entirely filled by purchase from the USA's bloated defense industry. You can compare what the current government did on the F35 to what they're doing for the Navy. They quickly bailed on buying American F35s, because the deal was basically a favor to the USA and a subsidy to foreign industry anyway. Meanwhile, the Navy involves substantial domestic shipbuilding industries, and naval operations are seen as strategically important, so the Liberals reiterated their commitment to the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy and the Canadian Surface Combatant Program... albeit with slightly more attention to costs.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The LCS ships were originally intended to be "disposable" inasmuch as an eight figure thing can be disposable. Somewhere along the line that got shall we say perverted a bit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

. Meanwhile, the Navy involves substantial domestic shipbuilding industries, and naval operations are seen as strategically important, so the Liberals reiterated their commitment to the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy and the Canadian Surface Combatant Program... albeit with slightly more attention to costs.

What? The CSC program is already a giant mess and construction isn't even supposed to start for at least three more years.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

What? The CSC program is already a giant mess and construction isn't even supposed to start for at least three more years.

By "attention to costs" I just meant they are continuing to flush money down the toilet but are at least wringing their hands, like how they dropped the requirement for a Canadian design in the hopes of saving a little time and money, whereas Harper's guys just stolidly insisted that everything was fine.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
happy hitler day everyone

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Why didn't Mongol cavalry use shields?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

O poo poo adolf kushner waddup

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hogge Wild posted:

The power requirements were too high for portable generators.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GotLag posted:

The power requirements were too high for portable generators.

lol

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

I'm not an expert but I suspect its because they wanted to be able to quickly swap between bows at range and swords/spears/axes up close. I assume stowing a shield on a moving horse would complicate this somewhat.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Carcer posted:

I'm not an expert but I suspect its because they wanted to be able to quickly swap between bows at range and swords/spears/axes up close. I assume stowing a shield on a moving horse would complicate this somewhat.

But what if they had heavier armour and the shield strapped to one of their arms instead?

Maybe that would get too heavy for one horse, they should've had two horses and a chariot instead.

Or maybe that could limit their mobility if one horse died... Why didnt the mongols put barding on their horses?

Tbh they should've invested in tanks.
Imagine mongols invading medieval europe on top of Panzer Is, that would be loving rad.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Greggster posted:

But what if they had heavier armour and the shield strapped to one of their arms instead?

Maybe that would get too heavy for one horse, they should've had two horses and a chariot instead.

Or maybe that could limit their mobility if one horse died... Why didnt the mongols put barding on their horses?

Tbh they should've invested in tanks.
Imagine mongols invading medieval europe on top of Panzer Is, that would be loving rad.

The mongols went round in herds with 4-5 horses per warrior so I can't imagine barding was really an option.

In any case the real mongol strength was their strategic mobility - essentially they always wanted to fight a battle at a time and place of their choosing, so having soldiers & horses with a bunch of heavy equipment (assuming that was possible for them, which it probably wasn't) was not in their interest.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I dunno, the steppes, especially certain parts of Siberia, have a lot of oil reserves. Would have been perfect grazing for PzKpfw Is. Makes me wonder why they didn't breed any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I dunno, the steppes, especially certain parts of Siberia, have a lot of oil reserves. Would have been perfect grazing for PzKpfw Is. Makes me wonder why they didn't breed any.

Can't drink the blood of a Panzer I, nor can you make its milk into an alcoholic drink.