Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

It is kind of a depressing degeneration of method. Using Star Wars as the example:

70s/80s - gently caress, none of this is working - what do we have? The Death Star model split - I have an idea about the gap around the center. The helmets are broken - what can we do? etc. Result: films with some soul to them
90s/2000s - We can CGI everything. Everything I imagine is now on screen. Oops - it's poo poo. Well at least we admitted it's poo poo, but got a few things right. Result: films attempting to capture old magic and failing
2010s - We can CGI everything. Everything we imagine is now on screen. We have copy/pasted every image from the originals without understanding why they became iconic. Everything is perfect! Result: soulless, pointless, forgettable

Games can fall into these categories as well. CIG seems to take the worst from all 3 - nothing works, we don't know what to do about it, everything has to be what Chris imagines, yet Chris doesn't imagine anything. gently caress it - buy more ships.

The same applies to music: when you can recreate Prodigy samples with a quick session in Ableton, you get the proverbial hammer for everything. It's great for some genres, and terrible for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Toast (actual Toast) is reasonably handsome imo. Not as handsome as Money, but compared to most of the CIGgers, he's hot.

0_o

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Facebook Aunt posted:

25 years ago you probably thought his Lord British cosplay was cool.

I think you're probably right. I thought it was cute. I wasn't exactly familiar with the wide world of Japanese cosplay and stuff like that.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Thread is producing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

I think you're probably right. I thought it was cute. I wasn't exactly familiar with the wide world of Japanese cosplay and stuff like that.

So, beets, is this now the official thread to post sick E.Honda cosplay or what? Or is street fighter cosplay considered anime?

I mean, it cannot be worse than what we have right now.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ah yes Derek "I dare them to sue me because I will see them in Jail. By the way I also claim to not release any leaks before the news drops to avoid legal issues and make sure to put up big disclaimers on CIG photoshops making it very very clear that they are in fact photoshops, also to avoid legal issues." Smart.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bootcha posted:

I can only speak from personal experience, so this is subject to "dude, you're nuts".

I like Garriott. Or at least, I WANT to like Garriott. I've met him in person, I've seen his ancient punch card displays, and I've heard him talk game theory in private. The guy knows what to do, to the extent that he can admit he's wrong about something. He doesn't like binary moral choices, but he acknowledged Mass Effect did binary choice in a meaningful way, and that he had to reconsider individual choices. And the man has organized full blown charities, like I volunteered one of them, not the Scare for the Cure but the more STEM focused one, I think it was for the local AISD teachers charity. I look at Shroud of the Avatar and think, "Man, if only Garriott embraced limitation." And I feel sad he's reduced to selling Portalarium securities and doing funding telethons, because there's a genuine capacity in Garriott to do good.

It just looks like he tried to do too much.

Roberts on the other hand, I've never heard about his charities. Or his workplace good nature. Or rarely the response from ex-Origin folk that doesn't start with "Oh that motherfucker?"

Garriott kinda ruined himself, with Tabula Rasa, the online poker, and the hoarders thing they were working on. But I've never heard Garriott blame ANYONE but himself for terrible gameplay.

What I'm saying is Roberts ruined everything, not Goons.

Drunk namaste.

I want to believe like this too.

I've heard about the cool things he's done. The charities. The parties where he gave tours of his castle and all the nice things he's done.

But that feels like it was another lifetime ago. Since then he's been dredging the pits. Selling his blood to people. Making worse and worse games, where the primary feature of this most recent installment is real world money transactions that apparently are skirting the line of legality.

I've loved Garriott and he was one of the guys who helped me go into computer science for the love and passion of it during a time when it wasn't exactly cool for girls to go into that area and it was mostly a borderline hostile environment of feeling dumber than people you were smarter than or your peers...

I wish he could recapture that magic again. Because when I was dumb and naive I believed he was one of the nicest people around despite never meeting him, and that through games he was trying to make people be better themselves.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

trucutru posted:

So, beets, is this now the official thread to post sick E.Honda cosplay or what? Or is street fighter cosplay considered anime?

I mean, it cannot be worse than what we have right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PF2iQgoAM

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

D_Smart posted:

I just posted this on Facebook. Apparently I am now qualified to go work for CIG. So I will be applying to one of the jobs they posted.

The moment you realize you're probably too old for this poo poo.

1. Decide to upgrade parts of a legacy graphics engine to support packed DDS normal maps. Because why not? A bunch of guys are still buying Universal Combat CE.

2. Get to the "search & replace" part while re-writing a lighting shader.

3. Subsequently replace all occurrences of "curShader" with their new counterparts "setShader".

4. Run game client. poo poo's all broken. Lighting is FUBAR and 3D models aren't even rendered, let alone lit.

5. Go on a completely unrelated bug hunt because, you know, who even remembers search & replace ops? They're not sexy enough to even register in your brain as the likely cause of anything remotely interesting.

6. It's 2:00AM. Step 3 was around 11PM.

7. Call it a morning and go to bed.

8. Had a dream that the pathfinding generation logic running on another machine had a bug, and I wake up to find all the NPCs were off the map and milling around in my office.For some reason, the dog seemed amused at the guy wielding a weapon of mass destruction.

9. It's 6:15AM. Wake up in a cold sweat.

10. Do all the morning things (while noticing the dog's not around). Grab a coffee, and saunter into the office. Good, no NPCs there. Oh, there's the dog.

11. Login to Windows. Tab over to UlraEdit and notice that the S&R tab was still open. Decide to close it when this* stares at right at me like a bad memory.

if (setShader == setShader)
{
SetShaderMatrices(setShader, curbatch.params);

if (setShader->GetEffect())
setShader->GetEffect()->CommitChanges();
}

12. Decide to go on Twitter instead. It's going to be one of those days.

* For you programmers, that first line used to read

if (curShader == setShader)

this is from pages back. whats another name for search and replace that probably would have popped that error?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how they probably spent thousands of man hours trying to get the shocks to look fake good but the ship still moves like its no clipping through space

Noticed that too, huh? I'm the landing gear - with no wheels - skidding across the platform. Then, comes to rest - with the front gear in the air.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

This should be required viewing for all Citizens.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

this is from pages back. whats another name for search and replace that probably would have popped that error?

If you really want to know, just google it.

That’s all he is qualified to do.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

phosdex posted:

There was no error to "pop". It was an illegal variable assignment. To the compiler, it's perfectly OK.

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

You guys need to get a grip.

Someone made a meme using a publicly available image. The wording on the gate is straight out of the Star Citizen concierge card, as is the ship in the background. I shared it because I thought it was funny. I simply don't care that some people find it offensive because I'm not responsible for their feelz, neither is my social media feed their safe space.

Me? I don't care for outrage culture. I grew up on Usenet. Nothing fazes me.

People who find it so offensive should go around the net advocating for the removal of any/all such images.

I'm thinking how to respond to this, because I genuinely believe you're a nice guy even behind the internet warlord persona.

One thing I know is that you don't hide yourself or mask your opinions or try to shield anyone from anything and if they can't take what you have, it's not your fault because you're not forcing them to watch you.

But at the same time you're a public figure who's not exactly liked by the whole internet. You're not known as "that nice guy who definitely won't try to sue you if you get on his bad side", and what's more is that you have both your supporters and your detractors watching you.

So when you post stuff like that, probably a lot of your supporters go "that's... bad taste... *sigh* :(" and meanwhile your detractors point and hold it aloft and shout out loud "look! Look! I told you I was right! Look at this literal psycho!"

And you've put everybody in a position where there not really a way to defend it. People can say "yeah it's just a meme don't take it seriously lol" but that's really as far as you can go, and even then it's tough because it's loving Holocaust related imagery. Something that's world-renowned as an event we're still trying to get over, and people are still coping with how bad it actually was, and others still think it was so insane that it couldn't have possibly happened because people can't do that to other people.

I'm not saying "stop being abrasive and rude", I'm just suggesting that, as one of the people online who think you're a good person and genuinely don't have a bone to pick with you at all, and actually really enjoy your commentary and what you do in general... that maybe next time you need to post a meme for something pick a cat or a dog or a house falling on a car or anything besides some sort of a cultural atrocity.

The number of people who will be turned off by stuff like that will be hugely larger than the number of people who will laugh and think that's the best joke ever. It'll ultimately shrink your vantage point as a valid source, and scare off people who may otherwise agree with your platform.

But that's just like, my opinion man. :)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes, in the George Michael kind of "faith" way.

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could take your money
I know not everybody
Spends their money like you

But I gotta think twice
Before I give my ships away
And I know all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I need some time off from that devotion
Time to pick your wallet off the floor
Oh when that ramp comes down with
A big explosion
Well it takes a thumb man baby,
But I'm showing you space doors

'Cuz you got to have faith
You gotta have faith
Because you got to have faith faith
You got to have faith faith faith

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Reasonable words

This is nice, except you’re asking someone who thinks it’s cool to post that poo poo to consider its effects. He is literally incapable of accepting the possibility that he might be in the wrong.

A sane, rational person might think, “hey, maybe I crossed a line. I should look into this.” That thought will never occur to Derek.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Awful lot of gravity in space. Good thing the space-based salvage ship for scavenging space hulks, in space, has giant shocks.

Also is this actually in the game for people to spawn and fly because if not I'm calling more bullshots

The more I look at it, the more I realize the percentage of that ship devoted solely to the landing process is loving insane. Originally I thought it was kind of an interesting looking ship but god drat if it’s not a case study in wasted space and overly complicated bullshit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I'm thinking how to respond to this, because I genuinely believe you're a nice guy even behind the internet warlord persona.

One thing I know is that you don't hide yourself or mask your opinions or try to shield anyone from anything and if they can't take what you have, it's not your fault because you're not forcing them to watch you.

But at the same time you're a public figure who's not exactly liked by the whole internet. You're not known as "that nice guy who definitely won't try to sue you if you get on his bad side", and what's more is that you have both your supporters and your detractors watching you.

So when you post stuff like that, probably a lot of your supporters go "that's... bad taste... *sigh* :(" and meanwhile your detractors point and hold it aloft and shout out loud "look! Look! I told you I was right! Look at this literal psycho!"

And you've put everybody in a position where there not really a way to defend it. People can say "yeah it's just a meme don't take it seriously lol" but that's really as far as you can go, and even then it's tough because it's loving Holocaust related imagery. Something that's world-renowned as an event we're still trying to get over, and people are still coping with how bad it actually was, and others still think it was so insane that it couldn't have possibly happened because people can't do that to other people.

I'm not saying "stop being abrasive and rude", I'm just suggesting that, as one of the people online who think you're a good person and genuinely don't have a bone to pick with you at all, and actually really enjoy your commentary and what you do in general... that maybe next time you need to post a meme for something pick a cat or a dog or a house falling on a car or anything besides some sort of a cultural atrocity.

The number of people who will be turned off by stuff like that will be hugely larger than the number of people who will laugh and think that's the best joke ever. It'll ultimately shrink your vantage point as a valid source, and scare off people who may otherwise agree with your platform.

But that's just like, my opinion man. :)

Of course some people will consider it to be in bad/poor taste. I was never disputing that all. I just don't care enough to be concerned about their feelings. We are in outrage culture now whereby you can't even express a harmless opinion without some people being offended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

----------------

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
:allears:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Noticed that too, huh? I'm the landing gear - with no wheels - skidding across the platform. Then, comes to rest - with the front gear in the air.

I'm the Vtol aircraft in a planetside ripoff that fires forward thrust when moving backwards. Future tech.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Foo Diddley posted:

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could take your money
I know not everybody
Spends their money like you

But I gotta think twice
Before I give my ships away
And I know all the games you play
Because I play them too

Oh but I need some time off from that devotion
Time to pick your wallet off the floor
Oh when that ramp comes down with
A big explosion
Well it takes a thumb man baby,
But I'm showing you space doors

'Cuz you got to have faith
You gotta have faith
Because you got to have faith faith
You got to have faith faith faith

I'll admit it - I laughed so hard my belt slipped on its tracks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I feel like Derek just learned the phrase Outrage Culture the other day and insists on using it in every sentence

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

They don't care what he was talking about, as Hav pointed out above Derek is known for threatening lawsuits for every imagined slight against him, he has been doing it since 56k was fast loving internet. Whatever his pledge was was worth less to them than having him threaten legal bullshit all the time.

I kind of sort of want to put in my useless opinion here. :)

I doubt CIG was afraid of the legal issues Derek would or would not raise. But I think at around this time the seeds were planted that this "game" was going to live or die very fast around public opinion.

If I recall, around this time Beer4TheBeerGod was really starting to poke holes in everything. The tide was starting to turn from "yay I love Star Citizen!" Into "uhhh... guys I don't think this is happening the way it's being told to us..."

And this was a very big, very major shift. Right in the middle of the 10ftC episodes where Chris went on camera and promised the impossible on a weekly basis to help keep money flowing and people "feeling excited and interested and involved", suddenly out of nowhere there it is:

Derek Smart with a bomb from left field.

Confidence was shaking. The community was starting to rip at the seams. Loyal backers were starting to shift. Derek and Something Awful opinions were beginning to sway, and we know they were closely monitoring (and still are) all social media outlets and popular opinion.

Chris Roberts and Sandi, at that time, had their finger on the pulse. They probably very, very quickly knee-jerked a fast "refund that fucker so he hasn't got a leg to stand on! Now now now!" And it was so, and then in natural form Ben, who was helping to destroy the community, also had to try to refute this, and it was way out of his league.

The Roberts were in a panic mode now. They saw this getting picked up by big news agencies, goons were basically turning, social media was going upside down on them. So Chris did what any manager who thinks he's a genius does, and probably did personally write a letter that he genuinely felt came from the heart and stabbed at news agencies like The Escapist and Derek and goons as being pure evil.

And that probably solidified the end times cascade of "us vs them". Goons were thrown out, detractors became marked. Their forums became even more of a battleground, but it was a losing battleground for detractors because now the staff were fast of the lookout for newly determined "FUD campaigns" and just made it all vanish.

And this began the era where CIG shut down public opinion if it was negative, made it vanish, marked users who were known anti-CIG groups and cataloged their social media monikers, and ultimately lead to CIG shutting down their forums entirely and taking it all off the grid basically and only allowing controlled transmissions and specific marketing campaigns to see the light of day.

It was a perfect storm, but I also feel that while Beer4TheBeerGod may not have written a blog at the time, his parallel actions of a similar nature also helped CIG to grow into an alarm condition and when Derek blew the top, it was a combination of problems that caused CIG to hugely gently caress up and go places they could never have recovered from.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Titanic please catch up with the thread soon so we can go back to not talking about whether or not we think Derek Smart is an rear end in a top hat because of [RECENT ACTION].

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm a goon now, like it or not.

I like it. :)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

You guys need to get a grip.

Someone made a meme using a publicly available image. The wording on the gate is straight out of the Star Citizen concierge card, as is the ship in the background. I shared it because I thought it was funny. I simply don't care that some people find it offensive because I'm not responsible for their feelz, neither is my social media feed their safe space.

Me? I don't care for outrage culture. I grew up on Usenet. Nothing fazes me.

People who find it so offensive should go around the net advocating for the removal of any/all such images.

https://twitter.com/savage_crabs/status/973846702447906817

Too many people get offended over stupid poo poo. Glad you linked it. Dark humor is a lot like food. Some people never get it.

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

First post on SA.

3.27am in the UK. Drunk as hell.

Why are you guys such dicks to Derek Smark?

I'll lay my cards on the table: I respect Derek Smart. I'd never have heard about the scam if people hadn't talked about him so much. Then it brought me a lot of laughs and I started lurking on the Elite Dangerous thread, which lead me here (through them quoting TheAgent).

As I'm drunk I'll say it: it kind of makes me sad to see the guy who has put himself up for judgement by fighting this in a hilarious way slagged off by some one-joke cunts.

I paid $10, (about £7, I guess) to say this - joke's on me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Titanic please catch up with the thread soon so we can go back to not talking about whether or not we think Derek Smart is an rear end in a top hat because of [RECENT ACTION].

You refuse to close the thread until something happens and Derek's rambling is 90% of the content to do with Star Citizen so this isn't going away.

Peter.Quint posted:

First post on SA.

I'll lay my cards on the table: I respect Derek Smart. I'd never have heard about the scam if people hadn't talked about him so much. Then it brought me a lot of laughs and I started lurking on the Elite Dangerous thread, which lead me here (through them quoting TheAgent).

As I'm drunk I'll say it: it kind of makes me sad to see the guy who has put himself up for judgement by fighting this in a hilarious way slagged off by some one-joke cunts.

No balls 3/10

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Besides the weird way seems to fly this isn't too bad looking. :)

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
CIG can't give away ships. If they give everyone a ship and it can be CCU then they have removed a whole bunch of fresh cash. If it can't be CCU then they have just pissed off a ton of backers which is the opposite of what you want to happen with a give away. And the ship would have to be junk. Why pay $200 for ship when they are just giving them away?

And if it was a ship in game now a ton of people would load up the game to check it out. Which is the opposite of what they want, their servers can't handle the players they have now. And worse most of them would be "garbage" kickstarter backers and the like, people that spent the minimum amount and are unlikely to ever buy from CIG again.

And if it was a ship not implemented yet they have to give them a junk ship without the instant gratification of being able to fly around. How exciting a pure JPEG turd.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Peter.Quint posted:

First post on SA.

Welcome friend. I think some people (not saying all) rag on Smarty pants because he's pulling the same poo poo with his fidelitious planetside remake, except he made it with his own funds (and whatever he managed to swindle people on steam for, being that it was a F2P that required a paid "pak" in order to get access to the game). That, and I laugh at him because he had to have someone fly out to the datacenter to replace a failed hard drive on one of his servers that supported all 2 people in game (because the data center was largely unequipped to handle such a swap).

Other than that, post cats or dogs (if you have them, but don't delete them like me) and recipes when the thread turns to poo poo (it does like every 10 pages or so). Also, don't listen to others when they say I'm a moron or whatever just because I bought spaceships that I like and a really cool and nice quality belt with a track.

edit: well, I look forward to your response 6 hours from now.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Peter.Quint posted:

First post on SA.

Yeah. When you think about it, Derek is a real hero! :jerkbag:

Do us all a favor and make this you final post on SA.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

The more I look at it, the more I realize the percentage of that ship devoted solely to the landing process is loving insane. Originally I thought it was kind of an interesting looking ship but god drat if it’s not a case study in wasted space and overly complicated bullshit.

The more you think about it the more you start to wonder why a spaceship designed to operate entirely in space and do space things and never leave space has landing gears at all let alone massively over engineered ones.

But I did have a massive hardon for that ship when they first spun out the concept art during the age of dreams so I'm glad it got a chance to flop around and be idiotic before they turn off the lights for good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

The more you think about it the more you start to wonder why a spaceship designed to operate entirely in space and do space things and never leave space has landing gears at all let alone massively over engineered ones.

But I did have a massive hardon for that ship when they first spun out the concept art during the age of dreams so I'm glad it got a chance to flop around and be idiotic before they turn off the lights for good.

B-b-b-but the Nostromo landed on planets so obviously our fuckoff-huge space car-crusher should be able to land on planets also beeeecause what if it needs to salvage something that crashed on a planet, smart guy? Which is why it makes perfect sense that roughly 60% of the ship is made up of huge pistons and gears and whatever the gently caress else it takes to spin those stupid rear end engines around.

God drat I hope they get the spinny mining ship in the game before they flee to Brazil or whatever.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat I hope they get the spinny mining ship in the game before they flee to Brazil or whatever.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Peter.Quint posted:

First post on SA.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not easy being slow like me you know. Takes time for me to turn. :)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

That's him, with the coconuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Peter.Quint posted:

First post on SA.

This is a poor post friend and I hope your next one will be better.

But welcome to the thread!

I'm going to suggest that as far as public forums go that aren't controlled by 3000AD, this is probably one of the more accepting of Derek and his antics.

I look forward to your next posts! May they be more enlightened than this one! :)