Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been dying for some good queso dip to go with my Tostitos. I tried the Tostito brand cheese dip and it tasted like that waxy poo poo from crackers and cheese dip packs when I was a kid. Since my favorite part of Mexican restaurants is the warm chips and white queso dip, I figured I'd try making my own. The other day at the store I accidentally grabbed some crumbling cheese instead of melting. I tried experimenting, but it ended up not being too great.

A quick google search has everyone recommending Monterey Jack or other white American cheeses over goat cheese. I just kind of assumed that these hole in the wall Mexican restaurants used actual Mexican cheese. What's the goon opinion on cheese types for replicating Mexican restaurant queso dip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Do this!

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
...except use better cheese. Pepper jack? Pfffft. If you're trying to approximate cheap TexMex restaurant queso I guess some blandly seasoned jack is probably a pretty good first pass. But really if you're going to get all molecular gastronomy up in this bitch in the first place, why not go balls deep and emulsify some añejo or cotija or I dunno, some motherfucking not even remotely `authentic' bûcheron and queso de Oaxaca or something? And while you're not giving a poo poo about authenticity, which you shouldn't, be advised that sambal oelek is a great way to punch up a bowl of queso.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'm trying to break out of recipe slavery and get into really making up my own dishes. I've read The Flavor Bible and Rulhman's Ratio—both of which I use constantly to this day—but I don't know of any other books that'll help me step up my game. What do you guys recommend?

Secondarily, I teach math for a living and I love Ratio so much I'm considering doing a talk at an upcoming conference about using cooking to reify math instruction in the classroom. Are there any books specifically along these lines, perhaps some that fit in my former question as well? So far I plan to talk about some of Ruhlman's book (I got his permission) and food densities in the teaching of variation. I'd love to see any other topics for which there exist published works.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Good day, I have a couple questions.

Is corn a fruit, a vegetable, a grain, or all three? I've been reading articles online and still am confused with its status. Especially since some of them assert that different harvesting times can alter how we classify it. Harvest it early and it's a fruit. Harvest it late and it's a grain since it's dry. Agh.

As for how I prepare it for consumption, I normally just stick a bunch of 'em into a pot, boil them, and then gnaw on them. What can I do to make corn more interesting and tasty that doesn't involve butter?

I have corn on the mind, but not on the cob. Thanks in advance.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

I'm trying to break out of recipe slavery and get into really making up my own dishes. I've read The Flavor Bible and Rulhman's Ratio—both of which I use constantly to this day—but I don't know of any other books that'll help me step up my game. What do you guys recommend?

Secondarily, I teach math for a living and I love Ratio so much I'm considering doing a talk at an upcoming conference about using cooking to reify math instruction in the classroom. Are there any books specifically along these lines, perhaps some that fit in my former question as well? So far I plan to talk about some of Ruhlman's book (I got his permission) and food densities in the teaching of variation. I'd love to see any other topics for which there exist published works.

If you like "Ratio," you should really, really get Ruhlman's "Twenty." It's got twenty different techniques / ingredients that can be used in all sorts of different ways; for example, poach has techniques for oil poaching, butter poaching, and stock poaching. The egg chapter has a souffle, a bread pudding, and a scrambled egg so good it rocks my universe. The onion chapter explains what onion does and its role in mirepoix, and how different heats and lengths of cooking affect it. He takes the time to break down how stuff works and why, so if you're scientifically inclined it extrapolates very, very easily. All of the recipes are super basic, without too many defining spices or herbs, which means they are extremely versatile and can kind of go with anything. Highly recommended. I loved it so much I bought it for both my stepdad and my dad, and they both love it too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jamfrost posted:

Is corn a fruit, a vegetable, a grain, or all three?
`Vegetable' is not a botanical taxon except insofar as it can be used to refer to any plant. Corn is a grain, and each kernel on a cob is a fruit.

Jamfrost posted:

As for how I prepare it for consumption, I normally just stick a bunch of 'em into a pot, boil them, and then gnaw on them. What can I do to make corn more interesting and tasty that doesn't involve butter?
My recommendations from a couple pages ago.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Corn is technically a grain. We call it "vegetable" for cooking purposes because it's pulpy and fleshy, unlike most other grains.

Are you avoiding butter for health reasons or because you're tired of it?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Steve Yun posted:

Corn is technically a grain. We call it "vegetable" for cooking purposes because it's pulpy and fleshy, unlike most other grains.

SubG posted:

`Vegetable' is not a botanical taxon except insofar as it can be used to refer to any plant. Corn is a grain, and each kernel on a cob is a fruit... a couple pages ago.
Well gosh, corn is complicated and everywhere, even fuel. Also, thanks for the link. Would've never thought to do that with husks. I thought they were just in the way of my corn.

Steve Yun posted:

Are you avoiding butter for health reasons or because you're tired of it?

Health reasons and I can't reliably digest it. I guess I could buy some raw dairy stuff and by that I mean unpasteurized. Or goat butter, if that's easily available.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I have kind of a dumb question, I think.

I'm heading up to a cabin with some friends this weekend, and we were planning on grilling some hamburgers. I was going to grind my own meat using this recipe; is there any major issues with doing this 24h in advance as long as I keep the ground meat chilled? I just don't really want to bring along my food processor if I don't have to. I assume this will be okay I just want to make sure.

Also, I wouldn't mind any other suggestions for meat blends for burgers if anyone has any.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

jooky posted:

I'm heading up to a cabin with some friends this weekend, and we were planning on grilling some hamburgers. I was going to grind my own meat using this recipe; is there any major issues with doing this 24h in advance as long as I keep the ground meat chilled? I just don't really want to bring along my food processor if I don't have to. I assume this will be okay I just want to make sure.

Also, I wouldn't mind any other suggestions for meat blends for burgers if anyone has any.

If you keep it chilled it's fine for a few days.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

jooky posted:

This would be fine, you can also freeze it right after grinding and it will thaw in the cooler on your way up there, helping keep the rest of your stuff cold.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

jooky posted:

As they both said, it's fine, as long as you use plenty of ice/ice packs. It won't be quite as good as just-ground, but will still taste approximately eleven times better than supermarket ground.

I've been using 100% blade steaks. Great flavor, the perfect amount of fat, and about $4.50 a pound at my butcher. Probably closer to $3 a pound at the supermarket. I've tried a bunch of different blends, including sirloin and oxtail; short rib, sirloin, and chuck; rib-eye; and a couple others. Blade steaks have been the most consistently awesome every time.
I blend that center strip of fatty gristle right in with it, but I make sure to chop it up pretty fine first, else it gets gummed up in my grinder.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Where am I going wrong with my Yorkshire Puddings?

I use the 8:8:1 ratio recipe, so usually the amount is a quarter pint of milk, 2 eggs and 2 ounces (self raising) flour.

Hand whisked, left to stand in the fridge if I have the time.

The oven is preheated to it's maximum - gas mark 9 (475F, 246C).

The tray (room for 12 puddings) is also preheated with a small amount of oil for each pudding.

Cooked for about 20 minutes in the top of the oven, and I don't open the door at all.

The problem seems to be inconsistency - occasionally they'll come out perfect, sometimes not much rising at all, but most of the time in the middle and disappointing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where does the 8:8:1 ratio come into play? Because your milk to egg to flour ratio isn't anywhere close to that.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

8 eggs : 8 oz flour : 1 pint milk is the ratio. But that makes a lot, so I quarter everything and it's about right for 12 small puddings. Sorry, I should have perhaps explained that a bit more clearly than I did.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a good cheesecake recipe? I've never made one before and have been having a hankering for some delicious delicious cheesecake.
This is a very basic recipe for a 9-inch springform pan.
8 oz. cookie crumbs (Nilla wafers, oreos, graham crackers, whathaveyou)
3 T. sugar
3 1/2 oz. unsalted butter, melted

-Blitz all that in a processor and press into the pan, then bake at 375 for ten minutes.

4 8-oz. packages cream cheese, room temp
2 T. flour
pinch salt
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla
4 eggs

-Cream the cream cheese, flour and salt in a mixer with a paddle for about 5 minutes, scraping down frequently. Add sugar and vanilla until incorporated, then add the eggs one at a time. Pour into the cooled crust and level. Bake at 300, 55 to 65 minutes. Cool completely, then stick in the fridge.

Personally, western style cheesecakes are too sweet and heavy for me, so I prefer the lighter Japanese version. You can look it up anywhere, but this video seems to show the most similar result to the ones we made in the bakery I used to work at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ES2ajYQXF8

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and now I need to know how to make a good egg sushi. It's easy enough if you use the roll and fold method, but I really want to know how to cook it as a uniform block like how Jiro does his (This is specifically the consistency and texture I'm looking for). That one almost looks like a castella with its browned crust and smooth interior.

If not exactly that, then at least how to make a smooth egg sushi like this one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pandaK posted:

I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and now I need to know how to make a good egg sushi. It's easy enough if you use the roll and fold method, but I really want to know how to cook it as a uniform block like how Jiro does his (This is specifically the consistency and texture I'm looking for). That one almost looks like a castella with its browned crust and smooth interior.

If not exactly that, then at least how to make a smooth egg sushi like this one.
Tomago is traditionally made in a special pan and is cooked more or less like an omelette---pour your eggs in an oiled pan on medium heat, cook until the egg starts to get opaque throughout (but not set on top) and you can get a turner under it, then fold so the top becomes the interior. gently caress that up a couple hundred times until you get the hang of it.

That being said, if you're more concerned about the quality of the product rather than the traditionalness of the mode of preparation I'd use one of those perfectly square-cornered silicone ice cube trays and a puddle machine or bain-marie to cook the eggs through and then use an oiled pan to brown them if desired. Alternately you could use any other vessel of roughly the correct shape and just cut it for plating.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SubG posted:

Tomago is traditionally made in a special pan and is cooked more or less like an omelette---pour your eggs in an oiled pan on medium heat, cook until the egg starts to get opaque throughout (but not set on top) and you can get a turner under it, then fold so the top becomes the interior. gently caress that up a couple hundred times until you get the hang of it.

That being said, if you're more concerned about the quality of the product rather than the traditionalness of the mode of preparation I'd use one of those perfectly square-cornered silicone ice cube trays and a puddle machine or bain-marie to cook the eggs through and then use an oiled pan to brown them if desired. Alternately you could use any other vessel of roughly the correct shape and just cut it for plating.

I guess I didn't clarify what exactly I was looking for in my original post, sorry. I have the means to form the egg into the shape I want, but I don't know what exactly they put into the recipe to get such a uniform texture. In the movie, they grated something that looked like a potato into the mixture, so I assume that the starch is the key to this, but what exactly I have no idea.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pandaK posted:

I guess I didn't clarify what exactly I was looking for in my original post, sorry. I have the means to form the egg into the shape I want, but I don't know what exactly they put into the recipe to get such a uniform texture. In the movie, they grated something that looked like a potato into the mixture, so I assume that the starch is the key to this, but what exactly I have no idea.
Getting the right texture is all about the cooking process, not the ingredients. There are a lot of different varieties of tomago that are flavoured in various ways (sugar, shoyu, mirin, bonito, whatever), but they really don't have anything to do with the texture.

I mean I don't know about any one specific example you might've seen; who knows what one particular cook is doing. But the ultra-uniform texture in tamago in general is all about the cooking technique, not some secret ingredient.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That special ingredient they're talking about is a Japanese mountain yam.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SubG posted:

It's "tamago" and that particular preparation is called "tamagoyaki."

pandaK posted:

I guess I didn't clarify what exactly I was looking for in my original post, sorry. I have the means to form the egg into the shape I want, but I don't know what exactly they put into the recipe to get such a uniform texture.

How is yours turning out? I usually just use a little dashi, a little milk, mirin, and egg and it comes out pretty uniform.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

That special ingredient they're talking about is a Japanese mountain yam.
Makes sense. Not going to affect the consistency appreciably. Really, with any preparation involving cooked eggs (outside of maybe baked goods) the single most important factor influencing the evenness of the end product is going to be temperature control, and specifically temperature control around the temperatures where the proteins in the egg are denaturing and coagulating---so starting around 145 F/63 C and ending around 165 F/73 C. You can certainly change the flavour or mouthfeel by playing around with other ingredients (especially fat, as in custards and quiches) but you're still really mostly worried about temperature control while the eggs are setting regardless. Like you might get a really rich and wobbly custard by adding a shitload of high fat cream, but how homogeneous the final product is will still be governed by temperature control during cooking.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

tarepanda posted:

How is yours turning out? I usually just use a little dashi, a little milk, mirin, and egg and it comes out pretty uniform.

I've tried two methods so far which have both flunked in achieving the desired consistency. The first time I went with just mirin and soy sauce and whisked it real good (to the point where it foamed), cooking it over a low heat. In retrospect I have no idea where I was going with this since it obviously came out really light and fluffy and not like tamagoyaki at all.
The second time, I added a teaspoon of cornstarch and milk along with the mirin, and it turned into more of a squishy pancake than anything else, although it was relatively closer than the previous attempt. Same low heat (I don't know how standardized this is, but I had it set to 2 on a 7-0 dial).

E: I am terrible at cooking, please keep this in mind.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

pandaK posted:

I've tried two methods so far which have both flunked in achieving the desired consistency. The first time I went with just mirin and soy sauce and whisked it real good (to the point where it foamed), cooking it over a low heat. In retrospect I have no idea where I was going with this since it obviously came out really light and fluffy and not like tamagoyaki at all.
The second time, I added a teaspoon of cornstarch and milk along with the mirin, and it turned into more of a squishy pancake than anything else, although it was relatively closer than the previous attempt. Same low heat (I don't know how standardized this is, but I had it set to 2 on a 7-0 dial).

E: I am terrible at cooking, please keep this in mind.

Bear in mind that tamagoyaki is so one those things sushi guys dick wave over, it's really hard to get right even if you practice everyday for decades, don't get put off if there are a few hiccups along the way.

What kind of pan are you using (do you know the brand) and what kind of heat (gas stove etc.)? I'm inclined to agree with SubG and think that the temperature is what's causing problems for you. How many times are you flipping the tamagoyaki and how thin are your layers?

Do you speak Japanese? If you do there are some good links I can send you. Either way here is a nice video http://kaigainohannoublog.blog55.fc2.com/blog-entry-328.html I know you know the recipe already, but this guy has perfect form so it might be useful for trouble shooting against.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
All I have to add to that is... don't put cornstarch in there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Clarence posted:

Where am I going wrong with my Yorkshire Puddings?

I use the 8:8:1 ratio recipe, so usually the amount is a quarter pint of milk, 2 eggs and 2 ounces (self raising) flour.

Hand whisked, left to stand in the fridge if I have the time.

The oven is preheated to it's maximum - gas mark 9 (475F, 246C).

The tray (room for 12 puddings) is also preheated with a small amount of oil for each pudding.

Cooked for about 20 minutes in the top of the oven, and I don't open the door at all.

The problem seems to be inconsistency - occasionally they'll come out perfect, sometimes not much rising at all, but most of the time in the middle and disappointing.

I usually just do a volume recipe for my Yorkies, so as many eggs as I feel like and the same volume of flour and milk.

I find that vegetable oil is kinda hit and miss and if I want great ones then some animal fat in there, goose fat or beef dripping. Got to get it as hot as possible.

Sounds like you're doing all the right steps though, Yorkies can just be a bit fickle sometimes I think.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Disco Salmon posted:

Little late for the doner kebeb chat...but this is our recipe if it can still be used.

This is the closest we have been able to find to the stuff my husband grew up on in England. He says that they are REALLY close taste-wise to what he used to get in the chippy shops, and they aren't cooked like the elephant legs are.

Basically, take:

1 lb ground lean lamb (you do want some fat! They tend to add tail fat in England to theirs from what I was told.)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1.5 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Add 1-2 tsp marjoram (to taste) and 1-2 tsp mint (to taste)

Mix them all together well in a medium bowl, and then let sit covered in the fridge for 12-24 hours. The trick is to let them marinate like sausages to get the maximum flavor. Shape into patties about 1/2 thick, then broil 8-10 mins till no longer pink. Slice thinly and then serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion and cucumber-garlic sauce (tzatziki).

To all the chip shop kebab fans out there; this is a really good recipe and you should most definitely make it right this minute :).

The only change I made was to divide meat mixture into two little squared-off loaves and then to bake them for about 25 minutes, then slice them thinly into those wafers of meat you get into your classic kebab.

Also if your local kebabbery is like mine, it uses a pink, sweet-savoury sauce - A nigh-perfect substitute for this is the "Hamburger sauce" Lidl in europe occasionally stocks whenever they are doing a U.S. food promotion.

Fake edit: this stuff

(Love me some Amerikanischen Geschmack I do)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pookah posted:

To all the chip shop kebab fans out there; this is a really good recipe and you should most definitely make it right this minute :).

The only change I made was to divide meat mixture into two little squared-off loaves and then to bake them for about 25 minutes, then slice them thinly into those wafers of meat you get into your classic kebab.

Also if your local kebabbery is like mine, it uses a pink, sweet-savoury sauce - A nigh-perfect substitute for this is the "Hamburger sauce" Lidl in europe occasionally stocks whenever they are doing a U.S. food promotion.

Fake edit: this stuff

(Love me some Amerikanischen Geschmack I do)

As an American, what the hell is hamburger sauce? It is like thousand island/russian dressing? Mayo, ketchup, sweet relish combined.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Doh004 posted:

As an American, what the hell is hamburger sauce? It is like thousand island/russian dressing? Mayo, ketchup, sweet relish combined.

Well, its pink - that is a key identifier.

Looking at the back of the bottle of lidl sauce in the picture above it's made out of oil, tomato puree, onions, mustard, sugar, vinegar, gherkins, maize starch, milk protein, salt plus a few stabilizers.

Not exactly gourmet stuff but tasty on a burger or in a kebab.

What's fun is that it is sold as being "American" but it sounds like it is totally unknown over there :).

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Sounds like Fry sauce, which is just mayo + ketchup.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I have left over custard from last night. What should I make with it? Ice cream? Stuffed crepes? Another tart?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm having trouble getting my risotto to the right consistency. It either ends up too soupy or not soupy enough. :( I know that it's supposed to "flow like lava", but it's hard to tell whether it does that in the pan - since it still loses water content even after you take it off the pan. What's a good way to make sure that it's the right consistency without having to pour it out onto a plate?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Pookah posted:

What's fun is that it is sold as being "American" but it sounds like it is totally unknown over there :).

Over here they sell "American style pizza's", which are about four times as thick as the normal pizza's, and preferably feature corn (amongst the usual ingredients of course) and a lot of cheese.

(they're not bad tasting or anything, but ehm...I guess this is kinda racist! :-P )

Hauki
May 11, 2010

paraquat posted:

Over here they sell "American style pizza's", which are about four times as thick as the normal pizza's, and preferably feature corn (amongst the usual ingredients of course) and a lot of cheese.

(they're not bad tasting or anything, but ehm...I guess this is kinda racist! :-P )
Who the gently caress puts corn on a pizza? :smith:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There's probably plenty of corn in most American pizza via corn syrup in the sauce.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

paraquat posted:

Where is this hahahaha It's not even anything particularly fatty or unhealthy!

Ketchup, mayo and relish is a solid burger condiment. So so good.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Hauki posted:

Who the gently caress puts corn on a pizza? :smith:

Well, apparently the Dutch do, and we try to hide that fact by calling it an American thing :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Well, and a lot of places dust their work surfaces with cornmeal.

I'm almost tempted to try and make a Three Sisters pizza, with a squash-based sauce and corn and beans on top. I bet that would be yummy. Too bad I'm so lazy about making pizza dough.