Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its because sony demanded you not spin umds too fast and loading the fun effects like that...spun the umds really fast. so to not make soy angry they just deliberately slowed them down and it sucks rear end lol.

e: lol im keeping that typo

The PSP was a really good handheld overall even besides having literally the easiest homebrew setup ever, but I kinda have to wonder if having a disk-based format actually, you know, did anything from a technical standpoint that Vita/Switch/DS style carts wouldn’t have that was worth the trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Did HD yggdra union ever come out outside of japan? If not, the chances don't seem great for this one either

the switch version didnt but it came out on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2107860/Yggdra_Union/

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Maybe now I'll finally finish Riviera.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endorph posted:

honestly i think atelier lost a ton in the shift to not having time limits. i know it bugs some people but i think its fine for a game to not be for everyone, and i think they added a ton to the sense of growth, trial, and growth. without them success is basically inevitable and all content will be seen. with them theres the sense that you are actually fumbling slightly and finding out how to succeed, which fits with the growing youth theme. i like the mysterious and ryza games well enough but they lack the spark i got from arland and dusk.

:same:

Though it's gotten a huge new audience of people in it for the new ~cozy vibes, nothing to worry about~-based design direction so I just have to accept I'm no longer the target audience. Still stings a bit to watch a series that captivated me with the sense of freeform adventure, doing your best in the pursuit of your goals on a wide open canvas and all that literally have at least one recent entry with an always-on-screen story objective marker.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah the sky games had the chests set up like that but they werent designed like that in the crossbell and erebonia games at all, especially in the latter's case

and, tbh, the jokes in the crossbell games suck and are trying way too hard. i do not want lame police brutality jokes. the sky jokes were decently clever and were clearly dicking around, and the ones at the end of sky 3 were actually sweet. its fine for a feature to go out on a high note instead of forcing it past its expiration date.

I'll forever smirk at this joke, given how often the fans argue character's power levels in Trails games.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i think what absolutely fucks me up about it isn't even how hard it is. like it's hard, it is way too bullshit hard, it is way too maddeningly bullshit hard for something you'd be permanently stuck in if you didn't keep an extra save file. but also it has insanely long unskippable dialog and a second phase that is even more trying of your patience, after the first phase that is already potentially impossible if you didn't have some way to auto mitigate or heal ramza specifically. how did any of that get okayed. it's like the perfect combination of awful things to completely ruin the game for someone for absolutely no reason

As a kid I did the usual stupid thing of only keeping one save file and getting stuck on Weigraft. But what really got to me is that I actually managed to get past the first phase (I think by using that monk attack that has infinite range and cheesing the ai) and then I was still stuck because I couldnt get past the second phase anyways lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like the time limits in Atelier games because in the games without them I've found it's easy to get into a loop where I wind up synthesizing for the sake of it without thinking about working towards a specific goal. Which isn't an unenjoyable thing but I definitely prefer it when the time limits are there since they'll make me sit and think about what I'm doing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Was reminded that Steam's got one more day of sale, so I went browsing. Can someone talk me in or out of buying Star Ocean 4 The Last Hope? I enjoyed 2 as a kid, and I have fond and not fond memories of 3 (Side Kick Side Kick Side Kick Side Kick). I know very little about the 4th game besides the character being iirc Edge Maverick.

Also, any hidden or at least not so obvious, nicely discounted RPG gems to recommend from the sale anyone? I was hoping to pick up FFXVI with its release this month but didn't realise it's not coming out to PC :cry:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This Way Madness Lies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Artelier posted:

Was reminded that Steam's got one more day of sale, so I went browsing. Can someone talk me in or out of buying Star Ocean 4 The Last Hope? I enjoyed 2 as a kid, and I have fond and not fond memories of 3 (Side Kick Side Kick Side Kick Side Kick). I know very little about the 4th game besides the character being iirc Edge Maverick.

Also, any hidden or at least not so obvious, nicely discounted RPG gems to recommend from the sale anyone? I was hoping to pick up FFXVI with its release this month but didn't realise it's not coming out to PC :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artelier posted:

A lot of Falcom games are on sale, Trails is probably their “big” RPG series now so idk if it qualifies as hidden, but Ys is some goodass action RPG poo poo, especially the three made before the series transitioned to its current gameplay iteration, Ark of Naphitism, Oath in Felghana, and Origin, Ark less so than the other two.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artelier posted:

Do it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

i love how hard potionomics went on the time limits, sure sure this may look like a nice chill game but no this is a stressful alchemy business simulator and you are going to feel like you are doing poo poo wrong constantly

oh god

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artelier posted:

4 isn't terrible but it's not good either. Though hell, I remember enjoying it more than 3.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

i love how hard potionomics went on the time limits, sure sure this may look like a nice chill game but no this is a stressful alchemy business simulator and you are going to feel like you are doing poo poo wrong constantly

This sounds awesome, and the game looks great in the preview videos on steam. I'm a big time limit fan though in my games, it helps me stay focused and provides a fun tension

RIP Dead Rising, got rid of all the time limits and died (also I heard the games were just worse outside of that though)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

RIP Dead Rising, got rid of all the time limits and died (also I heard the games were just worse outside of that though)

sadly so

there was at least a little hope with 2 but..oof, 3/4

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy, riviera remake. I remember playing that game and being at the time impressed with it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it beyond that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to lie the pressure mechanics in Potionomics were very stressful for me even though I enjoyed everything else about it.

It got to the point where I felt I needed to have like five or six backup saves to try to optimize a single day's outputs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Snooze Cruise posted:

someday this game will get controller support… someday…

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

the switch version didnt but it came out on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2107860/Yggdra_Union/
Right! Yeah i do remember this now. Hopefully this one can come over on switch too???

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Chained Echoes: Ok what sicko on the design team made the dog enemy can-able?
(as in 'you put it in a can AND EAT IT')

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they made the bold choice to emphasize the "can" part of "can you pet the dog"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

even in dr2 the psychos were a lot worse than 1 so of course for 3 they looked at some of the worse ones from dr1 like the chinese chef and the fat police lady and decided. you know what. we can make something even worse than these. and then they did

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Clarste posted:

The chests are all identical "this chest is empty" messages in Japanese iirc. The translators just noticed that they were all technically different text strings and decided to have fun with it.

The technical reason for that is that the chests are the same type of objects as NPCs. Just with a chest sprite instead of a person. So interacting with a chest is exactly the same thing as talking to random villager #5 :eng101:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
NPCs can also give you items, of course.

But I'd say the specific programming quirk is more that different NPC-objects cannot reference the same text string, so they can't for example have every single chest point to the same "this box is empty" line. Which means there's a text file somewhere that is nothing but "this box is empty" repeated 250 times. Which as a translator you'd have to go out of your way to deal with, one way or another. Not that this is an unusual way to program things, of course, it's just not what the layman might expect. Honestly it'd be weirder for them to implement an entirely different text-grabbing system just for this one type of object.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

honestly i think atelier lost a ton in the shift to not having time limits. i know it bugs some people but i think its fine for a game to not be for everyone, and i think they added a ton to the sense of growth, trial, and growth. without them success is basically inevitable and all content will be seen. with them theres the sense that you are actually fumbling slightly and finding out how to succeed, which fits with the growing youth theme. i like the mysterious and ryza games well enough but they lack the spark i got from arland and dusk.
I've only played time limit Ateliers up to this point so they are my only reference point so I suppose I'd be on the fence of keeping them, but I will say there have been a few games (Totori and Ayesha of what I've played) where I think ultimately it worked against my enjoyment and I would have just preferred to not have them. "I like time limits except when they are bad" is not exactly a big brain thought though I suppose.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My brain is broken because everytime "the Epstein foundation" comes up in Trails from Zero (which is alot so far) I lol.

I started coldsteel recently and it came up too, but just once. Was pretty :dogstare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you count side games Nelke has the worst time limit because you can screw yourself into an unwinnable position if you don't realise you need to raise the population cap as high as possible as soon as possible.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If an atelier game let me mitigate the time limits a bit with some items or something after finishing the game once I think that would be a perfect balance

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in arland games iirc there's usually an item you can make that massively reduces travel time if that counts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

If an atelier game let me mitigate the time limits a bit with some items or something after finishing the game once I think that would be a perfect balance

It does. You actually get a lot of items that let you do that on a first playthrough. You can cut down travel time, gather more at once, assign people to craft and such for you, etc, etc. A lot of items in Atelier exist largely to give you more free time.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I think I'd like a compromise between one big limit looming over the game (even if in hindsight it was really generous) and none at all. Like you can dick around until a thing happens, then you're on the clock to make a thing or beat a thing or whatever, then it's back to faffing about until the next thing. Idk how that would all work balance wise but I'm sure the devs can figure something out

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
more time limit games should copy noora and the time studio and give you about two weeks less than promised

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I don't think time limits are like, bad design, and I think in some cases they're probably very *good* design, as a lot of people have expressed in the last couple pages. But for me they're a pest, a tension, a source of unhappiness. If I had to peg it to some 'reason' I'd say it's the same bit of my ADHD that makes me hate when people say 'hey could you do this for me later? no rush!' or hates having an appointment late in the day because I can't do anything with the rest of the day - a deadline looms *way* too large for me and gets me agitated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even when time limits are very generous i still don't care for them. i don't usually explore every corner of a map or talk to many pointless npc's, but what if i wanted to this time, huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I don't think time limits are like, bad design, and I think in some cases they're probably very *good* design, as a lot of people have expressed in the last couple pages. But for me they're a pest, a tension, a source of unhappiness. If I had to peg it to some 'reason' I'd say it's the same bit of my ADHD that makes me hate when people say 'hey could you do this for me later? no rush!' or hates having an appointment late in the day because I can't do anything with the rest of the day - a deadline looms *way* too large for me and gets me agitated.

Huh, that's interesting. I have the exact same problem but for me games actually do the opposite. The structure of having a time limit helps me enjoy things I might otherwise not even if the time limit itself is fundamentally meaningless. I think I like the way it feels like I can do a lot of small things to make it more effective whereas the thing I hate most about waiting in real life is that I can't do anything to actually improve the situation beyond the cold hard passage of time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GloomMouse posted:

I think I'd like a compromise between one big limit looming over the game (even if in hindsight it was really generous) and none at all. Like you can dick around until a thing happens, then you're on the clock to make a thing or beat a thing or whatever, then it's back to faffing about until the next thing. Idk how that would all work balance wise but I'm sure the devs can figure something out
I think Lydie and Suelle has time limits on promotion exams and a few things like that but they don't start until you activate the event.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I have the exact same problem but for me games actually do the opposite. The structure of having a time limit helps me enjoy things I might otherwise not even if the time limit itself is fundamentally meaningless. I think I like the way it feels like I can do a lot of small things to make it more effective whereas the thing I hate most about waiting in real life is that I can't do anything to actually improve the situation beyond the cold hard passage of time.

At least there are games out there for both of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

At least there are games out there for both of us!

It is always interesting to see how even people who have similar feelings about things can respond to specific design choices differently. Makes it important to remember how there isn't one catch-all solution for everyone.