Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/920389722144411649

Article 3, Subsection 5 of the new ESPN social media policy says, stick to sports blacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jemele Hill is going to start blogging for Barstool so she can tweet whatever she wants while still being on ESPN.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

BWV posted:

ESPN should've just signed PFT. Let him be an on air personality and show up during game day or pre game shows. Give him a podcast with Stugotz and you basically got the same thing. Sure they'll lose the listener base he already developed at barstool but it saves PFT and ESPN the shame of being associated with such a gross organization.

Everyone assumes that PFT doesn't REALLY want to be associated with Barstool, and there's no evidence of that at all. People just want it to be true because they like PFT. He works for Barstool, he gets paid by Barstool, chances are he's a piece of poo poo like Barstool.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

He's spent years roasting people like that so i doubt it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know if it would be possible for PFT Commenter to do what he does if it was coming from a place of pure contempt toward the objects of his satire.

You can get a lot of mileage out of spoofing someone's form without necessarily disagreeing with their entire philosophy. I don't think he's an actual misogynist MAGA man, but I also kind of doubt he's like a hard left D&D poster or something either.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Those guys are both high profile enough at this point that they could go somewhere else and be successful. They are willingly choosing to associate themselves with barstool knowing how awful it is, even if they aren't openly shitheads like the rest of the site.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It does make it a bit funnier that they run somewhere where their content is nearly indistinguishable from the unironic content. I think it would feel kind of like they were punching down if they were doing it with HuffPo or Salon or Deadspin

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

Those guys are both high profile enough at this point that they could go somewhere else and be successful. They are willingly choosing to associate themselves with barstool knowing how awful it is, even if they aren't openly shitheads like the rest of the site.

Where could they go with that kind of infrastructure and those kind of guests while still keeping some creative freedom? The problem with your show being a mockery of sports media is sports media outlets aren't going to let you do your thing on their channel.

It's kind of the problem Simmons ran into. Maybe ESPN hamstrung his content but there was nowhere else that would give him the infrastructure like that.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

yeah, there was an article about how they could break away from barstool just like how keepin it 1600 successfully broke away from the ringer

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/28/barstool-sports-big-risk-losing-big-cat-and-pft-commenter.html

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Copernic posted:

Everyone assumes that PFT doesn't REALLY want to be associated with Barstool, and there's no evidence of that at all. People just want it to be true because they like PFT. He works for Barstool, he gets paid by Barstool, chances are he's a piece of poo poo like Barstool.

Yea I guess that's an unfair assumption I'm making. I just got a feeling from his earlier political satire (like when he roasted the Trump rallies) and his association and (seeming) friendship with guys like Spencer Hall and Bomani that he was more legit. Then again, he must've known what he was signing up for when he took a job under their leadership.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
PFT went from a pretty niche internet dude before Barstool to hosting probably the biggest podcast around and getting a show on ESPN.

It’d be completely understandable and human for him to feel some loyalty to Barstool even though he’s responsible for his own success.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Barstool probably also gives him complete creative autonomy, something ESPN/Yahoo/etc would never do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

Where could they go with that kind of infrastructure and those kind of guests while still keeping some creative freedom? The problem with your show being a mockery of sports media is sports media outlets aren't going to let you do your thing on their channel.

It's kind of the problem Simmons ran into. Maybe ESPN hamstrung his content but there was nowhere else that would give him the infrastructure like that.

They're getting a show on ESPN so doesn't seem like a huge hangup? It's one of the most popular podcasts not about serial killers, I imagine most places would take them. I'm sure that like the Ringer would be happy to have them, or as mentioned they could go out on their own at this point. Really anywhere that doesn't aggressively encourage the harassment of women, unless they want to be associated with that harassment.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Just want to stop in and say to D Link: I'm sorry.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This was a good piece by Deadspin on sports journalism in Mississippi.

https://deadspin.com/the-mississippi-state-fan-who-took-his-revenge-on-ole-m-1819064586

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Niwrad posted:

This was a good piece by Deadspin on sports journalism in Mississippi.

https://deadspin.com/the-mississippi-state-fan-who-took-his-revenge-on-ole-m-1819064586

Since when did Caleb Hannan start to write for Deadspin? Also, good on him for not driving any of the subjects of this story to suicide.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Since when did Caleb Hannan start to write for Deadspin? Also, good on him for not driving any of the subjects of this story to suicide.

Probably just freelancing

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
https://deadspin.com/soccer-fan-travels-halfway-around-the-world-to-visit-ti-1819658631

I'm sorry to inflict Billy Haisley upon all of you but he claims that a Chinese man is from "near the Taiwan border" which is just loving perfectly on brand.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

https://deadspin.com/soccer-fan-travels-halfway-around-the-world-to-visit-ti-1819658631

I'm sorry to inflict Billy Haisley upon all of you but he claims that a Chinese man is from "near the Taiwan border" which is just loving perfectly on brand.

this isn't a true Haisley article though because it doesn't have a 97-word sentence in it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

this isn't a true Haisley article though because it doesn't have a 97-word sentence in it

lmao

but yeah holy poo poo how the hell is Billy Haisley still with them?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Work Friend Keven posted:

Just want to stop in and say to D Link: I'm sorry.

It's very big of you to say that. I think we should all apologize to D-Link every day

DJExile posted:

lmao

but yeah holy poo poo how the hell is Billy Haisley still with them?

There's nobody on earth worse than Billy Haisley. Real scum.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/920819307214491649

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/920859119413878784

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tapper has been on fire the last couple of days

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://deadspin.com/the-totally-unexpected-true-story-of-yi-jianlians-magic-1818728951

I don't care what they say, the chair tape is real.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

They seem to have a budget to buy 1-2 pieces a month from freelance writers. Probably cheaper than hiring writers outright. The staff now seems to just stick to the clickbait recaps of whatever's trending on Reddit. Sadly the talent the site had is almost all gone. I still kind of like Magary but he's been saving his best stuff for GQ.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

On the list of top articles on Deadspin about things that never existed, this ranks below the Lennay Kekua story.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

He could be a merman, you don't know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Shea Serrano is now working with Mike Schur on a sitcom based on his early life. This man is unstoppable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is really rad

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Can't be worse than the kornheiser sitcom

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jackie D posted:

Can't be worse than the kornheiser sitcom

Wasn't Cowherd supposed to get a sitcom or did that mercifully never get off the ground

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Late on this but in that Clay Travis profile it's blinding obviously to everyone but Clay Travis that his wife is like six months away at most from waking up one day and spontaneously leaving him right?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Late on this but in that Clay Travis profile it's blinding obviously to everyone but Clay Travis that his wife is like six months away at most from waking up one day and spontaneously leaving him right?

Yeah.

That Clay Travis profile is basically a warning sign for him, that I doubt he would understand.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Can someone link to the Clay Travis profile? Having trouble finding it

Edit: Never mind, I was able to find it. Easier on computer than phone

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I will never respect a man who doesn't wash his kids hair.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Apparently the Athletic founders have come out and said they want to kill newspapers. I haven't read the NY Times piece yet but the clips make it seem like they're huge tech douches.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apparently the Athletic founders have come out and said they want to kill newspapers. I haven't read the NY Times piece yet but the clips make it seem like they're huge tech douches.

That's not surprising, but print's been dead for 2 decades now and I don't blame them for wanting to poach good writers. The Athletic is a drop in the bucket of reasons newspapers are dying.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

That's not surprising, but print's been dead for 2 decades now and I don't blame them for wanting to poach good writers. The Athletic is a drop in the bucket of reasons newspapers are dying.

Yeah but like

https://twitter.com/BreakTheHuddle/status/922478925162401793

At least try to be a little less villainous about it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/alex3780/status/916767974433816578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hmmm how can we turn people against this idea that literally everyone in online sports media is rooting hard for