Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Was REALLY hoping to see the car keep backing up into the cannon so we could get some true tankfuckling but here I sit with blue balls, so thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

63 House Republicans voting against a generic NATO support resolution is, like many things, IMO dumb beyond a need for further rhetoric

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Waffle House posted:

63 House Republicans voting against a generic NATO support resolution is, like many things, IMO dumb beyond a need for further rhetoric

They do not wish to share their tank stash with anyone, typical

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Why go with western letters instead of cyrillic? Who knows.

Z denoted forces of Western military district, in Russian it is Западный ("Zapadnyi"), so if they used the Russian "З" it would have been confused with the number 3

Similarly, V is for Eastern district (Восточный/Vostochnyi) where В would be confused with Latin B or the number 8 when soldiers gently caress up painting (also you go and try painting 1000s of venicles with that insted of a simple two strokes)

O was for Southern district forces, because painting Ю (Южный) is a bitch

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lol, zer effort to fix anything up or keep the place clean. They could at least make things habitable with a small amount of materials and effort but nah, who gives s poo poo about soldiers right?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Z denoted forces of Western military district, in Russian it is Западный ("Zapadnyi"), so if they used the Russian "З" it would have been confused with the number 3

Similarly, V is for Eastern district (Восточный/Vostochnyi) where В would be confused with Latin B or the number 8 when soldiers gently caress up painting (also you go and try painting 1000s of venicles with that insted of a simple two strokes)

O was for Southern district forces, because painting Ю (Южный) is a bitch

That also makes sense, thank you!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Outrail posted:

Lol, zer effort to fix anything up or keep the place clean. They could at least make things habitable with a small amount of materials and effort but nah, who gives s poo poo about soldiers right?

The soldiers could do it too, I mean they absolutely shouldn't have to in an organized military but they could.

The fact that they don't tells me morale is super loving low.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It has been a consistent theme the whole way through. They don't even try to stop outnumbered mall cops dragging their friends into conscription vans either (contrast Iranian teenagers walking into literal gunfire).

Or more relevant, the videos of 'military' accommodation back in Russia literally rotting and covered in poo poo - and this was before mass conscription. It's just a whole culture of grudging compliance, passivity, and not giving a poo poo because presumably even if you clean up your bunk an officer will just cart it away

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Strategic Tea posted:

It's just a whole culture of grudging compliance, passivity, and not giving a poo poo because presumably even if you clean up your bunk an officer will just cart it away
I feel bad for the Russians who know this is all bullshit and try to do something about it, whether its an old lady holding an anti war sign on the street, or people blowing up recruitment centers at night. It must be profoundly frustrating seeing most of the population be so passive about this.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

The soldiers could do it too, I mean they absolutely shouldn't have to in an organized military but they could.

The fact that they don't tells me morale is super loving low.

Along these lines, I've got a question. You know how we've seen all these twitter videos and tiktoks of Ukrainian soldiers petting kittens and puppies and chilling with little birds and the like, right? Has anybody who's been watching Russian social media seen anything like that about Russian soldiers? At the barest minimum it seems like the easiest possible propaganda layup, "hey we can't be that bad 'cos we're nice to animals!" and whatnot, but I don't think I've seen or even heard mentioned any sort of stuff like that coming out of RU.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sashimi posted:

I feel bad for the Russians who know this is all bullshit and try to do something about it, whether its an old lady holding an anti war sign on the street, or people blowing up recruitment centers at night. It must be profoundly frustrating seeing most of the population be so passive about this.
It seems like this was the desired outcome of Putins whole media strategy. A few are furious to own the shadows in their head, the rest are fearful and apathetic.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mal-3 posted:

Along these lines, I've got a question. You know how we've seen all these twitter videos and tiktoks of Ukrainian soldiers petting kittens and puppies and chilling with little birds and the like, right? Has anybody who's been watching Russian social media seen anything like that about Russian soldiers? At the barest minimum it seems like the easiest possible propaganda layup, "hey we can't be that bad 'cos we're nice to animals!" and whatnot, but I don't think I've seen or even heard mentioned any sort of stuff like that coming out of RU.

My impression from what little I've seen is that they're more about the dark dramatic "look how cool and manly and tough our soldiers are", while Ukraine is tends more toward "we're just normal guys fighting (really well) to defend our friends and family" - and the latter is maybe a more obvious fit for feelgood videos with pets.
You're not wrong, of course - but the Russian media/propaganda push feels a bit single-minded on the macho theme?

The usual caveat applies; I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm basing this on very thin evidence.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mal-3 posted:

The birds were stolen and the kittens were eaten. Somebody burned Z onto a dog's head with a soldering tool

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

To what extent will winter work in either side's favour?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Nessus posted:

It seems like this was the desired outcome of Putins whole media strategy. A few are furious to own the shadows in their head, the rest are fearful and apathetic.

Why does this sound so recent and familiar in America? :thunk:

e: Oh right, the tone that "pink slime" fly-by-night, online-only news "agencies" pump out through clickbait articles we see on social media.

They are constantly putting out that familiar :d2a: nihilist masochism that seems to mysteriously always be fellating Big Dumb Dictator morals and does so through like a million and one flavors of candy coated bullshit sales.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 28, 2022

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Ukraine will have clothing and equipment to keep them warm. Rus will not.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Remember the russians stuffing leaves into their bmp's to keep from freezing to death in march?

That was the guys with the prime equipment

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

Mal-3 posted:

they torture and rape the animals too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tarkus posted:

Perfect cue for me to segue into my Saint Javelin plug:

https://www.saintjavelin.com/pages/winter-is-coming

They've been doing a good job raising money towards winter clothing and generators for Ukrainian soldiers. I bought a mug and a Ukrainian flag from them the other day, the latter of which is now proudly flying from my parents' house.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
a glimmer of good news for me: my partner’s longtime friend is back from Ukraine, safe and “apparently bored to death”. I’m happy he’s back and my partner is a bit relieved, which I greatly appreciate.

We do think he might go back at some point, which I’m not real keen on, but if Bosnia didn’t phase him, well…

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Better to be bored to death than actually death, I say

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
According to Russian media, the "partial mobilization" has ended:

https://twitter.com/tassagency_en/status/1586040135493324802

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Sir John Falstaff posted:

It is promoted to full mobilzation¿

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

For the puposes of this quote, Moscow and St. Petersburg = Russia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

'Pass the salt, please'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's a surprisingly small table for Putin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

That's a surprisingly small table for Putin

They had to use some of the leaves to shore up trenches.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"Can we do this at the small table?"

"THIS IS THE SMALL TABLE!"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kinda rude that no tea was served for this meeting.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mal-3 posted:

Yes they are doing those, they are mostly for Russian TV.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

They had to use some of the leaves to shore up trenches.

Attach a network of them together to serve as a pontoon bridge.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The large table was strapped to the side of the Moskva and welp

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Tarkus posted:

It's unbelievably shocking how poor the Russian army is performing and are equipped in hindsight but what can you expect when they don't value human life and prevailing geopolitical theory is: "they have no training and will die horrible deaths for no effect and that's fine" whatever it takes to make sure the autocrats in Moscow retain power.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Isn't money handed directly to higher officers who just siphon off and pass it down which is then also siphoned and by the time it gets to where it is supposed to be, most of it is gone.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

During "normal" times, when Russian troops not deployed to any warzone and are just living in their barracks at home bases, are they still as messy and indifferent to filth as they are in their battlefield encampments or the mobik's quarters? Are they expected to make their beds or sweep?

Like, does a typical Russian soldier poo poo on the floor instead of in the latrines, and if so does anyone care enough to kick his rear end/make him clean up?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Joke Miriam posted:

During "normal" times, when Russian troops not deployed to any warzone and are just living in their barracks at home bases, are they still as messy and indifferent to filth as they are in their battlefield encampments or the mobik's quarters? Are they expected to make their beds or sweep?

Like, does a typical Russian soldier poo poo on the floor instead of in the latrines, and if so does anyone care enough to kick his rear end/make him clean up?

Making beds and attempting basic hygiene is a homonaziNATO ploy OP, do your own research :beck:

generic_username
Aug 10, 2007
<>
Breaking years of lurker-hood status that'd make a Zerg campaign in Brood War blush at my ability to remain hidden underground waiting for the right moment to unleash a linear line of spikes impaling dumbass confederate marines, only to get borked by a UED siege tank and accompanying science vessel drone. Explorer reporting.

Two things to add: One - Set, and especially Kit, I really appreciate your daily and hourly updates and debates on this horrific war. It's a sobering loving reality watching this all play out. Full-on Slava Ukraini from my end. I'm truly saddened that my country of birth has taken such a limp-dicked response to this entire thing; after all, were it not for international sanctions during our own time of need, South Africa's democratic revolution might have played out differently, and our old fascist bastard government might still have clung to power to the bitter end (maybe Clancy-chat here, I apologise). As a first generation South African born to a Rhodesian "refugee" and a daughter of a lower class English lass, it's a straightforward narrative couched in bullshit ideological terms. I really am ashamed that my own government has adopted such a piss-poor approach to it all, and even allowed an oligarch's yacht to dock at Cape Town. The whole free world united behind our fledgling democracy in the 90's; now we're either abstaining or voting against UN resolutions. For loving Shame.

Two: from a vaguely tangential perspective, I teach English to a Southeast Asian military I cannot name, but I am surprised at just how many of my students lap up the Russian perspective on this war. It's made for some interesting topics and difficult quagmires to navigate, but the majority of my students seem to follow the "soviet" stance of this war, and believe the West is to blame somehow. I try to to be diplomatic in my discussions in class and allow all perspectives to be heard, but it really is disheartening to listen to them drone on about how Russia will win, and Ukraine is basically a break-away province. One thing I've paid attention to is that one of my students spent 6 years in St Petersburg, and he ultimately seems the most defeated. I can only imagine what it's like from his perspective - he's earned a few medals and ribbons for his service there, and he was proud of that, but now... some ways I feel so sorry for him that something that was once his pride and joy has become a bugbear in his life. As a sidenote though, he's one of the students I'm proudest of - at the beginning of the year, I was certain he'd fail the entire course, but now he's doing okay by getting 60%'s for quizzes and assignments, and by god is he the most polite and wholesome student I've ever had.

This war is having a huge global effect (NO poo poo), and not just for the players on the chessboard - EVERYONE I know seems to have some stake in it. Hell, a close friend of mine who grew up during the Apartheid era and suffered beatings from the police at that time in protests seems to only repeat Russian propaganda efforts, and whenever I try counter a point, I'm met with derision and claims that "you're not reading the REAL news", whatever that means. How can you go from actively working against a fascist regime to supporting another one based on some ill-defined concept of NAZISM (I tried to point out that the term Nazi has a different connotation in Russian discourse, and was told the same: "READING THE WRONG NEWS!!!!" She won't tell me what the "right" news is though, however).

This war is having a soft impact on tangential societies around the world, and it's increasing the divide ever so slightly, and yet ever so much, in the countries most of us in the West don't pay much attention to. I worry about the final outcome, from a military student's point of view. So many of my lads root for Russia - I haven't the heart nor courage to engage them otherwise. These are decent, well-meaning, salt-of-the-earth people, and they get swallowed by the Kremlin's official lines. I did have something of a breakthrough today with my most tankie student - I was asked if nuclear war was a certainty, and thanks to the information I've gleaned and assimilated through this thread, I said that that poo poo ain't gonna happen for reasons already mentioned, and to my surprise, he agreed with me. Progress! So thanks to you guys for giving me actual intellectual stuff to fall back upon!

If anyone's curious, I'm happy to talk about the perception of the war here, but obviously for my own job's sake I can't disclose the country I work in. Suffice to say, they've suffered immensely already under civil war; I only hope they adopt a pragmatic and informed conception about it all. For what it's worth, I am proud of the local government for actually voting directly against this war.

All in all, please keep up the solid reporting, solid discussions, and solid work. You're all a daily inspiration for me as a teacher in a difficult situation, and I often use your statements (backed up by evidence!) to encourage critical thinking in my lads. I love them all, and I love you all.

Slava Ukraini!

P.S if I eat a probation for whatever reason, can the reason be somewhat cool at least?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

From some bitching I've seen in Russian tweets, things like cleaning, maintenance, and cooking are punishments rather than necessities. Speaking from experience as someone who performs those tasks for himself, if those stack up due to apathy it can get pretty bad and you WON'T want to do them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

Cannot comment on the Russian army base maintenance practices but in general: Its really, really cheap to run a number of training bases for conscripts with gear mostly dedicated to training, or having a slow rotation of gear from the reserve vaults to training and back during peace times. Especially if compared to mobilizing and actually arming all the units that should exist based on what you have on your reserves.

For example, in FDF the training equipment is equivalent of what you will get, but not THE equipment you will get unless you are in a very, very special unit. This means that the wear and tear is focused on maybe 10% of your overall equipment, and can be rotated and fixed slowly between training and reserve (for example vehicles, artillery pieces) for expensive stuff, or used until unfit for service and written off and replaced (like uniforms, boots, personal combat gear, small arms). Worst case scenario, you start the war with 10% of your stuff in a state that should be fixed or replaced.

Obviously, grifting and general corruption on the base maintenance, the equipment available (get stuff from reserve as writeoffs, sell abroad, keep using the worn out stuff), and what was a couple of times mentioned, using the conscripts basically as prison labor instead of training them, makes the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Uh, it says it has ended in Russia. Expect reports of press-gangs in Kherson oblast.