Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This thread is about the war in Ukraine, its effects across the world, and now apparently the re-meltdown of the former Soviet bloc as Russia has shown themselves to be not big strong bear but moldy taxidermized raccoon.

October 6th 2022 update posted:

:siren: going forward there is going to be a higher threshold for considering videos with on-camera visible death 'newsworthy'. Please use good judgement and include :nms: tags, de-embedding, and content warnings, but I can and will remove anything that I don't consider to meet the increased threshold and I can and will punish offenders at my discretion up to and including bans :siren:

October 31 2022 update posted:

:siren:Bloodthirst/excessive reveling in the death/misfortune of soldiers/civilians is now explicitly and definitively punishable by probation or ban. This is subject to ramps for repeated offenses.

Please remember that it's human beings on both sides of this conflict. Dark jokes are a way of reacting/coping with horrible things, but as always going to far will cost you some time off and maybe 10 dollars.

Remember: to be a joke it needs to be funny
:siren:

November 1st 2022 update posted:

:siren:By Rule of Jeff NO MORE DISCUSSION OF OTHER FORUMS OR THEIR POSTERS IN THIS THREAD:siren:

this will be strictly enforced. Repeated violations of this rule and/or my failure to enforce it will result in this thread being gassed. I do not want this thread to be gassed

Behave accordingly

Main rules:

This is not D&D: Normal GBS rules still apply. Some people may shitpost, some people may post interesting information, some may just be wondering what the hell is going on. These are all valid ways of posting. We're not going to be enforcing D&D style rules here.

:siren:Be respectful to your fellow poster: :siren: This is a fraught time for a lot of people. Some people may have relatives in Ukraine or Russia, some may actually be in an active war zone. As such, emotions are running high. Please be mindful of other people's situations, because you may not know what they're feeling to relative to this war. Don't start calling people names because you disagree with them. Flinging around words like nazi/tankie/fascist shuts down conversation and makes the thread worse for everyone

:siren:No slapfighting: :siren: - See the updated rule above, but this also applies to on-topic slapfighting. We'd ask that you take personal stock and see if you're getting way too invested in an online argument. If so, please step back for a bit. The thread will still be there when you cool down. Conversely, if someone does step back, cools down and comes back to the thread, do not renew the argument. You will get a probation for renewing the argument

NWS images: This is a tough one, because this is probably the first major conflict that's taking place in the internet/TikTok/Instagram era. As such, there may be disturbing images that proliferate online. If you're going to post something like that, please consider the following:

1) Is this newsworthy?
2) Why am I posting this?
3) Does this advance the conversation in any way?
4) Has this been posted in the last few pages?

Notes on content warnings and when to break embeds

- Military equipment getting blown up, non-graphic footage/images of destroyed buildings, and footage/images of ongoing explosions are OK but please include content warnings when they are appropriate
-- If it's something that would be shown on the 9pm news it's probably OK to leave off a content warning but make sure the description is clear if you do
- Anything gory or with visible death: See updated rule from 10/6. Err on the side of not posting it at all
- Always include a brief description with your link and just don’t spam poo poo. It doesn’t need to be a play by play but something someone can read and determine “I can handle that” or “yeah nah”
-- If you don't want the link to auto-embed, uncheck the "automatically parse URL" button below the text field.
- Videos of torture/mutilation of soldiers or civilians are not to be posted or linked in the thread at any time for any reason. If you do you will be taking a long posting break and may pay 10 dollars. News coverage of same can be linked with appropriate content warnings.
- Failing to include content warnings and tags as appropriate is subject to probation or ban

Don't be weird and racist against anyone, including Russians: Using the term 'orcs' or 'hohols' falls into this category. Yes you can be racist against different types of Europeans, Europe has had time to develop varieties of racism us filthy Americans can only dream of

Make use of the report button: With what's going on in the world, along with our personal and professional lives, we can't sit in threads and :f5: every minute of every day to make sure it's on track. We count on the community to help us out in this. We do take every report into consideration, and we would encourage you to use it if you think rules are being violated. Please don't report people who just disagree with you. That's petty and dumb.

These rules are subject to change, so please check back every so often. We want GBS to be a great community, even in the midst of all that's going on. Also, because I know this is going to come up someday, if there is a conflict with these rules or the main rules thread, the main rules thread supersedes all others.

Please don't poo poo up this thread. I plan to make liberal use of the thread close and slowposting switches as required

Old thread link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993948

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Glory to Ukraine

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Some maps - you know, from the war that's going on
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1571650457466195969?s=20&t=J0qKueOF7B9Gm3s4svDKyQ
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1571650471542272000?s=20&t=J0qKueOF7B9Gm3s4svDKyQ
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1571704304146255872?s=20&t=J0qKueOF7B9Gm3s4svDKyQ
Def Mon's ongoing Geolocated thread from yesterday since I didn't see it anywhere :)
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1571559152513589248?s=20&t=GldwTmNyuz0601lEFZFKIQ
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1571559176840544258?s=20&t=GldwTmNyuz0601lEFZFKIQ

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

war is bad + also cringe

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

war is bad + also cringe

:hmmyes:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Russia lost their BEST TANK and now it is mine

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Слава Україні!

:ukraine:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ukraine is going to win (I sincerely hope).

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Russia is bad at war and hiding evidence of war crimes and Putin is loving stupid and cries himself to sleep knowing how badly he hosed his legacy and the future of his country bleeding under sanctions and a demolished military down to throwing prisoners and ICBM teams into the meat grinder to try to rape more children to death before officially getting pushed out forever

And anybody who thinks this is good and cool can gently caress off imo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

war is bad + also cringe

baby are you a war?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dandywalken posted:

Russia lost their BEST TANK and now it is mine

This is p much 90% of Ukrainian farmers now

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
$100 to the man who brings me the head of Vladimir Putin (nothing sexual)

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

You know one side is about to lose a war when they have to start conscripting teenagers and old people.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Igor thinks he can marry my daughter huh? Let's see if an MLRS volley at his farm will change his opinion

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

You know one side is about to lose a war when they have to start conscripting teenagers and old people.

Oh but this *definitely* isn't conscription, as this isn't actually a war.

Russia is just accepting every patriot that wants to join in on the special operation. Some just take more convincing re: their patriotism than others :ussr:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

kntfkr posted:

$100 to the man who brings me the head of Vladimir Putin (nothing sexual)

$101 to the man who gets head from Vladimir Putin (Sanctions notwithstanding, Get Scmoozing, Oligarchs)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1571469084235030532

Watching the timeline like this really makes it stark just how quickly the Russian advance stalled out. Late March has them at their peak (so roughly a month in), and like a single week later that entire northern front is covered in Ukrainian counteroffensives, and a month after that it's firmly in Ukraine's control. And then things pretty much stall out for a long time, up until the recent Ukrainian counteroffensive.

There's a lot of war to go, but it's been over half a year since Russia made a step towards "winning" as opposed to... I don't think I'd even say "not losing", because being stalled is a losing trajectory for them. A holding pattern of "not having Actually Fully Just Yet".

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Putin can kiss my rear end except not really because I'd push him into dirt first while he cries and demands more cities be shelled.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
content: most unsafe EOD possible but no one is hurt:
https://v.redd.it/6fa9gypagto91/DASH_480.mp4

putin is a shithead bastard

Glory to Ukraine

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KitConstantine posted:

This thread is about the war in Ukraine, its effects across the world, and now apparently the re-meltdown of the former Soviet bloc as Russia has shown themselves to be not big strong bear but moldy taxidermized raccoon.

CSPAM posters aren't banned from here unless they post bad. You all took the bait so fast that they didn't even have to before making GBS threads yourselves inside out. Shameful display.

CSPAM talks about D&D and GBS. If you want to talk about CSPAM it's gonna attract their attention. Accept that. But it also ISN'T ACTUALLY THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD AND IT'S TERRIBLE BORING POSTING. To that end - new topline rule:

No more posting just to complain about other forums. If you must complain (you never ever must) the post must also contain something newsworthy, contribute to an ongoing on-topic discussion and/or be extremely funny

Mods are the judge of what is funny.

Roll the dice

Main rules:

This is not D&D: Normal GBS rules still apply. Some people may shitpost, some people may post interesting information, some may just be wondering what the hell is going on. These are all valid ways of posting. We're not going to be enforcing D&D style rules here.

Be respectful to your fellow poster: This is a fraught time for a lot of people. Some people may have relatives in the Ukraine, some may actually be in an active war zone. As such, emotions are running high. Please be mindful of other people's situations, because you may not know what they're feeling to relative to this war.

No slapfighting: - See the updated rule above, but this also applies to on-topic slapfighting. We'd ask that you take personal stock and see if you're getting way too invested in an online argument. If so, please step back for a bit. The thread will still be there when you cool down. Conversely, if someone does step back, cools down and comes back to the thread, do not renew the argument. You will get a probation for that.

NWS images: This is a tough one, because this is probably the first major conflict that's taking place in the internet/TikTok/Instagram era. As such, there may be disturbing images that proliferate online. If you're going to post something like that, please consider the following:

1) Is this newsworthy?
2) Why am I posting this?
3) Does this advance the conversation in any way?
4) Has this been posted in the last few pages?

Notes on content warnings and when to break embeds

- Military equipment getting blown up, non-graphic footage/images of destroyed buildings, and footage/images of ongoing explosions are OK but please include content warnings when they are appropriate
-- If it's something that would be shown on the 9pm news it's probably OK to leave off a content warning
- Anything gory or has visible death is to be linked - NOT embedded. Include :nms: tags if you aren't sure if something is OK.
- Always include a brief description with your link and just don’t spam poo poo. It doesn’t need to be a play by play but something someone can read and determine “I can handle that” or “yeah nah”
-- If you don't want the link to auto-embed, uncheck the "automatically parse URL" button below the text field.
- Anything you think doesn’t fall into these rules but should be linked, do it. No harm in a precautionary measure
- Videos of torture/mutilation of soldiers or civilians are not to be posted or linked in the thread at any time for any reason. If you do you will be taking a long posting break and may pay 10 dollars. News coverage of same can be linked with appropriate content warnings.
- Failing to include content warnings and tags as appropriate is subject to probation.

Don't be weird and racist against anyone, including Russians: Using the term 'orcs' or 'hohols' falls into this category. Yes you can be racist against different types of Europeans, Europe has had time to develop varieties of racism us filthy Americans can only dream of

Make use of the report button: With what's going on in the world, along with our personal and professional lives, we can't sit in threads and :f5: every minute of every day to make sure it's on track. We count on the community to help us out in this. We do take every report into consideration, and we would encourage you to use it if you think rules are being violated. Please don't report people who just disagree with you. That's petty and dumb.

These rules are subject to change, so please check back every so often. We want GBS to be a great community, even in the midst of all that's going on. Also, because I know this is going to come up someday, if there is a conflict with these rules or the main rules thread, the main rules thread supersedes all others.

Please don't poo poo up this thread. I plan to make liberal use of the thread close and slowposting switches so that things don't devolve the way they did in the old thread.

Old thread link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993948

tldr

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

I read it :)

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Hmmmm

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1571791414102577155

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1571812479285735424

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1571860812192714754

https://twitter.com/praisethesteph/status/1571822974285774848

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I cannot see how Russia can maintain force parity along their lines for as long as Putin stays obsessed with holding onto Kherson and Donetsk. Between the Russian loss of material and the supposed unavailability of conscription or declaring war in Russia, it seems like Ukraine will have the preponderance of force where it chooses to attack.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Imma rootin' for tha Ukes!

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

Glory to Ukraine

lol no, try this one:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1544682639646392321

also kill all putins

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Ukraine thread is dead, long live the Ukraine thread

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
all of these numbers should be consumed with an entire salt lick worth of salt, but wikipedia lists russia having 2947 active tanks (including "20+ t14s :lmao:) and oryx lists russia having lost 1148 tanks. A 38% loss of their active tank fleet, which is horrifyingly funny. Sure they have shitloads of hulls in storage, but given what we've seen of their equipment it seems pretty likely that most of them have either been grifted or rusted into oblivion and arent useful as anything other than scrap metal now.

That concludes the checkbox ticking for the op's requirement that all posts regarding other forums also contain actual content, so now onto the part im getting probated for

KitConstantine posted:

don't gently caress this one up. I'm gonna be heavy handed until you have all shown you can be trusted not to be dumbasses

thread: hey its really lovely that this site is housing genocide denying assholes who are increasingly radicalized in the exact same pattern we've seen eat other forums alive

kit, apparently: lmao what a bunch of dumbasses

I've praised your moderation of the old thread before, and I'm assuming you didnt mean it like this, but what the gently caress? To me it reads like you think the complaints people had in the old thread were unwarranted or stupid. Which part of finding hate symbols offensive and impermissible do you find stupid? Which part of the frustration that the people spreading hate symbols literally cant be put on ignore because they have e-authority is unreasonable to you? Or were you just grumpy that the thread melted down in your absence and didnt word too good while expressing that (please be this one)?

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 19, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah the analysis I saw was that Russian invading forces are spread too thin to effectively defend anything they've taken and their command structure isn't centralized enough to respond to any attacks to reinforce assaulted positions. i'm real interested in seeing how many gains ukraine makes in the next month or two before winter sets in.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The whole Russian army Vs Taliban: who would win, and what handicaps would you impose on the Taliban to make it a fair fight

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1571755012329439234?s=20&t=AzM856Y03nNZfpLjOPNuhw

Note, this is not the plant that's been in the news.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

Glory to Ukraine

The 10 foot stick method of ordinance disposal has been standard for many years.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

KitConstantine, your avatar is haunting.

I hate it.

Just as much as I hate the war in Ukraine, BOOM on-topic post.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

grumplestiltzkin posted:

all of these numbers should be consumed with an entire salt lick worth of salt, but wikipedia lists russia having 2947 active tanks (including "20+ t14s :lmao:) and oryx lists russia having lost 1148 tanks. A 38% loss of their active tank fleet, which is horrifyingly funny. Sure they have shitloads of hulls in storage, but given what we've seen of their equipment it seems pretty likely that most of them have either been grifted or rusted into oblivion and arent useful as anything other than scrap metal now.

That concludes the checkbox ticking for the op's requirement that all posts regarding other forums also contain actual content, so now onto the part im getting probated for

thread: hey its really lovely that this site is housing genocide denying assholes who are increasingly radicalized in the exact same pattern we've seen eat other forums alive

kit, apparently: lmao what a bunch of dumbasses

I've praised your moderation of the old thread before, and I'm assuming you didnt mean it like this, but what the gently caress? To me it reads like you think the complaints people had in the old thread were unwarranted or stupid. Which part of finding hate symbols offensive and impermissible do you find stupid? Which part of the frustration that the people spreading hate symbols literally cant be put on ignore because they have e-authority is unreasonable to you? Or were you just grumpy that the thread melted down in your absence and didnt word too good while expressing that (please be this one)?

Lol, mods suck, welcome to SA.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
What would the requirements and responsibilities be of an idiot king in this thread?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I love that new thread smell

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

hazardousmouse posted:

What would the requirements and responsibilities be of an idiot king in this thread?

Hugging and kissing genocide deniers for $10.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Going to be funny to see how Russia tries to recover these material losses.

I've seen some estimates that Russia only could produce 250 new tanks (not refurbished/upgraded old models) a year and that was before sanctions/with access to western markets and material, plus potentially that number included export sales. Considering they've lost over four years worth of tanks even if they had peak production (they don't) and stopped all export production (they can't because they really need the money)...

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Can we still make fun of Putin bootlickers/"Ukraine should just surrender"/"It's actually US/EU/NATO's fault" types with horrible takes?

e.g. "Well ackshually the US caused the holocaust..."

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1571653737705517056?s=20&t=SmfpmH1_7Ie-9d3EiF_AVA

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 19, 2022