Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

I've never played a Fire Emblem game but is it like Final Fantasy Tactics where story important characters are immortal until their plot is over or do they actually alter the story for dead characters?

Because I totally didn't care if people died permanently in FFT but if it's the other way around I sure as hell would be restarting the game.

It depends on the game and the character. Some characters just get 'wounded' and will remain in story scenes. Others die and the plot changes around it. A good number are recruited and get minimal story after their recruitment so their deaths are unimportant to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

al-azad posted:

I've never played a Fire Emblem game but is it like Final Fantasy Tactics where story important characters are immortal until their plot is over or do they actually alter the story for dead characters?

Because I totally didn't care if people died permanently in FFT but if it's the other way around I sure as hell would be restarting the game.

Story characters stay alive, they just get a serious wound that prevents them from participating in battles. Granted, these characters usually have more impact on the experience in general than the average Final Fantasy Tactics character. Outside of my homeboy T.G. Cid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Depends on game and character. FE9 really liked letting characters with actual plot importance and dialogue die, but in FE13 barely anyone actually 'died.'

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there anything I should know about Atelier Ayesha? I see there's a time limit so I'd rather not do something stupid and get a bad ending or miss anything cool. I'm not to worried about like 100% completion or anything though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is there a way to recruit mooks like Tactics/Ogre games? Is it actually possible to gently caress yourself in the long run?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

Is there a way to recruit mooks like Tactics/Ogre games? Is it actually possible to gently caress yourself in the long run?

no, yes but you'd have to be me and 10 years old

e: a staple of the series is prepremotes, characters who join at high levels with lesser stats to compensate who can fill in any deaths since units keep joining for most of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there anything I should know about Atelier Ayesha? I see there's a time limit so I'd rather not do something stupid and get a bad ending or miss anything cool. I'm not to worried about like 100% completion or anything though.

The time limit is super-forgiving. Don't stress about it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

yes and when you finish it start playing escha and logy cause it is really well done

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cake Attack posted:

no, yes but you'd have to be me and 10 years old

e: a staple of the series is prepremotes, characters who join at high levels with lesser stats to compensate who can fill in any deaths since units keep joining for most of the game

Well, except Awakening.

If you keep loving up and letting people die early you lose access to up to a third of the cast. And there are virtually no pre-promotes. Literally two new people join between chapters 13 and 23 unless you have a whole bunch of other people alive and have done support convos with them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Well, except Awakening.

If you keep loving up and letting people die early you lose access to up to a third of the cast. And there are virtually no pre-promotes. Literally two new people join between chapters 13 and 23 unless you have a whole bunch of other people alive and have done support convos with them.

This is true, I played other FE games on perma, Awakening was the first I intentionally started on Casual because of the mechanics. Don't regret it, I still enjoyed the game even if I got to the point where I could brute force battles. I stink at strategy games though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zore posted:

Well, except Awakening.

you can grind in awakening though, which more or less counterbalances that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, I love the concept of a death toll in strategy games but instantly turned off by the idea that the plot can be influenced in any way by it. I can deal with deaths in Suikoden or the Ogre games but Fire Emblem sounds like a series that would stress me out.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Whole topic seems lost on me since you can pretty much destroy the game (and do in fact, do so on lunatic and lunatic+) with like a 3-5 party. There's a small wrinkle on that protection mission late in the game but that's optional anyway iirc

al-azad posted:

Man, I love the concept of a death toll in strategy games but instantly turned off by the idea that the plot can be influenced in any way by it. I can deal with deaths in Suikoden or the Ogre games but Fire Emblem sounds like a series that would stress me out.
It hardly ever comes up afaik.

Tactics Ogre has chievos tied to letting people die! How about them apples

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the plot really isn't affected. the only characters who truly die are side characters who don't factor into the main plot but are instead developed by optional conversations between them. anyone with a role in the plot will just retreat and become unable to fight, but still show up in the story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
gently caress, Project STEAM has Fire Emblem characters but only available through amiibo's.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Whole topic seems lost on me since you can pretty much destroy the game (and do in fact, do so on lunatic and lunatic+) with like a 3-5 party. There's a small wrinkle on that protection mission late in the game but that's optional anyway iirc

presumably if you've hosed up enough in awakening to have lost so many characters you're having a hard time continuing, you don't have enough of a grasp on the mechanics to realize this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

yes and when you finish it start playing escha and logy cause it is really well done

I will probably buy the eventual vita port if I end up liking this.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My favorite tactics ogre achievement list is:

- Finishing one playthrough with nobody ever being knocked out or dying
- Finishing one playthrough with 1-9 knockouts AND 1-9 deaths
- Finishing one playthrough where a certain important character dies AFTER you go through the effort of saving them

So if you want to get all these achievements you have to go from the perfect playthrough the bad playthrough, although you can jump around the timelines to make sure it happens. It's just funny that you have to strategize your achievements correctly or your save file is screwed out of them until you use cheats.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

al-azad posted:

Well Awakening has a classic/casual switch independant of the difficulty that governs permadeath and all entries in the series will likely have that going forwards. And 90% of the characters don't influence the greater plot or even pop up in cutscenes after they're recruited, the story stuff they have is all optional 'supports' which are personal stories and have little bearing on the plot itself.

And there are always some characters, the main lord dude/dudette(s) who are required on every map and cause game over if they die. They're the only ones though and there's 1-3 per game usually.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 14, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember when I was a kid I played Warsong and lost a minor character halfway through. The fact that they didn't come back the next mission was kinda shocking at the time and felt like a big failure on my part. So playing FE games and anything else with permadeath just makes me super paranoid about that sorta stuff.
Although it didn't help that the game gave you a really overpowered character that couldn't level up and will always die about a quarter of the game in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

The plot is barely ever affected. Even in FE9, the most that changes is the way some scenes play out - comedy scenes involving Angry Guy and Flirty Guy instead take a turn for the somber since one or both of them are dead and everyone misses their presence. The actual overall plot remains exactly the same.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HGH posted:

I remember when I was a kid I played Warsong and lost a minor character halfway through. The fact that they didn't come back the next mission was kinda shocking at the time and felt like a big failure on my part. So playing FE games and anything else with permadeath just makes me super paranoid about that sorta stuff.
Although it didn't help that the game gave you a really overpowered character that couldn't level up and will always die about a quarter of the game in.
Well, it's basically been the only enforced way of providing the player with challenge in an SRPG, at least in a way that is not insanely frustrating.

The other way has been to give enemies very optimized skill setups and such, but people continue to find that just makes the games frustrating because it ends up forcing the player to respond with specific character builds, detracting from the experience of customizing your characters to whatever you desire.

Which you can see in action by placing Awakening on lunatic/lunatic+, although that game has some other problems which compound the lunatic experience into a generally bad one. It's too bad they couldn't find a happy medium between hard and lunatic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rascyc posted:

Well, it's basically been the only enforced way of providing the player with challenge in an SRPG, at least in a way that is not insanely frustrating.

I disagree. I've never played a Fire Emblem game after the first (well, the first NA release) because on the second-last mission I had played very well, and was ready to take on the last boss. Suddenly, enemies spawned at the edge of the map without any warning, rushed towards my weakest character and blew her away in two hits. My progress over the past hour and a half was basically blown away, and I haven't picked up the series since. That's pretty drat frustrating.

The way you increase challenge in an SRPG is by making a system that isn't just a generic rock-paper-scissors mechanic, with more depth than just weapon types and range, so that the player has to actually use some strategy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Note that I was not defending the Fire Emblem games as a frustration-free series, it's actually quite the opposite at times (killer blades that crit with 10% hit odds!!!!) :V

It's just most of has have gotten used to it, and Awakening is pretty much as easy as it gets due to partner-up.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Rascyc posted:

The other way has been to give enemies very optimized skill setups and such, but people continue to find that just makes the games frustrating because it ends up forcing the player to respond with specific character builds, detracting from the experience of customizing your characters to whatever you desire.

Which you can see in action by placing Awakening on lunatic/lunatic+, although that game has some other problems which compound the lunatic experience into a generally bad one. It's too bad they couldn't find a happy medium between hard and lunatic.

Honestly it feels like the majority of SRPG devs don't even want to provide a challenge at all -- just look at how many of them design maps where half the enemy team sits there and waits for you like it's some stupid MMO. It's the most horrible kind of design; it cripples the difficulty and forces the player to tediously march his characters across the game map. And yet it's rampant.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So I should just full gather any resource point I see then?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not really any reason not to since you'd waste more time going and coming back if you need more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I disagree. I've never played a Fire Emblem game after the first (well, the first NA release) because on the second-last mission I had played very well, and was ready to take on the last boss. Suddenly, enemies spawned at the edge of the map without any warning, rushed towards my weakest character and blew her away in two hits. My progress over the past hour and a half was basically blown away, and I haven't picked up the series since. That's pretty drat frustrating.
this didn't happen. in fe7, reinforcements can't move the turn they appear. so you had time to move your weakest unit away.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah. You can harvest everything from every dungeon, kill every monster and do sidequests and subevents and still have time left over. Like, no joke I think I beat the main story with a year and a half remaining and the rest of my time was just taking it easy, viewing the various events with characters and creating hilariously overpowered items via alchemy.

It's pure slice of life.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I beat Ys Origin with the third selectable character. Very enjoyable game, even on a second playthrough. I can definitely see why it is viewed as the cannon story.

I'm currently playing through Ys I Chronicles. What music and art work settings should I select? So far I have PC-88 music and Chronicles artwork.

EDIT - So I'm stuck at the first boss in Soloman's Shrine. Do I just have to grind to beat this wizard guy or do I have to do a different strategy or do I have to be doing something else in the game right now?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 15, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Every Ys I&II player will have different opinions with regards to the music/art. I am totally in the "Complete" camp and don't care for the pixellation on the Chronicles/PSP artwork or how zoomed in you are in that mode without the borders. As for music frankly I prefer the TurboCD version above all of them but that isn't an option in the Steam release so I usually just go with the Complete soundtrack as well since I'm more used to it than either PC-88 or Chronicles.

If you're in Solmon's Shrine did you just skip Ys I completely? That's essentially the last dungeon/area in Ys II. And from what I remember the problem is usually not grinding, because you actually "max out" relatively quickly; sometimes it's that you need to make sure you have the best current equipment which are usually in nearby chests rather than shops, or the boss is really just that difficult.

E: I'm guessing you mean the area that is just called the "Shrine" rather than "Solomon's Shrine", now that I look it up. If it's that early in the game I can't imagine it being that bad, but it may just be that difficult because a lot of Ys I bosses are bullshit. You might want to try youtubing some boss fights if they seem ridiculous to get a feel for what attack patterns work best.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 15, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's not that he is hard it's because there are these stupid flame thrower things around him. It's impossible most of the time to attack him without getting hit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the nature of its quirky battle system you have to be prepared to absorb some licks in Ys I&II. Anything look off in this video compared to what's happening to you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJ29Mh6IYE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's entirely possible you're missing out on the best equipment you can have at the time because a decent amount of it is hidden in obscure places, I had huge problems with the vampire boss before I realised that.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

al-azad posted:

Mechanically it is very different from FFT btw

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I brought a better sword and leveled once just to be sure.

Fought the boss and...he died in three hits (literally).

I just went though the dungeon and got Feena and went back into the dungeon to make sure I got everything. I think I got everything but one chest.

So far I am very impressed with this game. It has aged VERY well. Did Falcom keep everything the same and update the graphics? Or did they fix some jank?

Also I am glad that I played Origins before this. It seems to tie in perfectly with the game. It's wonderful that I am already seeing both Goddesses so early on in the game.

One question I forgot to ask about Origins, is the Mask of Eyes useful at all after finding that secret room that you have to find? I never found anything else after using it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just went though the dungeon and got Feena and went back into the dungeon to make sure I got everything. I think I got everything but one chest.

So far I am very impressed with this game. It has aged VERY well. Did Falcom keep everything the same and update the graphics? Or did they fix some jank?

Also I am glad that I played Origins before this. It seems to tie in perfectly with the game. It's wonderful that I am already seeing both Goddesses so early on in the game.

One question I forgot to ask about Origins, is the Mask of Eyes useful at all after finding that secret room that you have to find? I never found anything else after using it.

The Mask of Eyes lets you cross a bridge in the fire zone. It's required to get one of the optional items in there as Yunica and Hugo. To my memory, that's the only other use of the Mask of Eyes in the game. And yes, that's how that boss tends to go, it's silly; there are a couple bosses in the game where the only recourse is to grind a little bit and maybe grab a better sword. Not too many, though.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I felt the same way you did when i played it HOWEVER i strongly suggest you use a guide in the last dungeon of Ys II. It's a rather confusing place and very easy to lose momentum since the way you make progress is ping-ponging between two nearly symmetrical sides of a maze/palace/dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The Mask of Eyes lets you cross a bridge in the fire zone. It's required to get one of the optional items in there as Yunica and Hugo. To my memory, that's the only other use of the Mask of Eyes in the game. And yes, that's how that boss tends to go, it's silly; there are a couple bosses in the game where the only recourse is to grind a little bit and maybe grab a better sword. Not too many, though.

Actually--it's not. With absolutely perfect timing you can get over that gap with a jump and your special ability.

I learned that the hard way because I was a complete dumbass and couldn't figure out what the mask was for but just couldn't let that thing go.