Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Facebook Aunt posted:

I know what you mean. I was watching DS9 recently and was very uncomfortable with Lwaxana Troi sexually harassing Odo. On the enterprise she was the councillor's mom so it wasn't quite as bad, but in the DS9 episode she's specifically there in her role as a top federation diplomat touring the station. She won't take a polite no for an answer, and he can't be rude because her official report could affect his position as security chief.

#Istandwithodo #metoo

Odo is a fascist, and Lwaxana as a mindreader recognized that, and harassed him according to his sins.

#justiceforbajor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What context is that? I don't understand that show at all. Is it tone-deaf or deeply self-aware? Is the casting good or awful? I cannot comprehend a universe that contains both Jaden Smith as an anime Archer without the basest understanding of what makes Archer work, and a creepy vaping police commissioner voiced by Steve Buscemi.

People who are really familiar with the vapidity of elite culture but are also familiar with anime but still have the sensibility to know Damien Hirst is a hack.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Odo is a fascist, and Lwaxana as a mindreader recognized that, and harassed him according to his sins.

#justiceforbajor

I think the reason she really liked him was because she couldn't read his mind since he was a gelatinous shape shifter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MrJacobs posted:

I think the reason she really liked him was because she couldn't read his mind since he was a gelatinous shape shifter.

i wonder is it ok to harass someone who is a bad person if you dont know theyre a bad person

kind of opposite example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0vQA12WiEI

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jun 23, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

du -hast posted:

I absolutely want to hear about this, I've never heard anything about it on SA tho.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to it. Even the soft owls story pops up every so often. All my hopes rest in Gatekeeper now.

In the meantime I'm putting the Lost SA stuff thread on the task.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to it. Even the soft owls story pops up every so often. All my hopes rest in Gatekeeper now.

In the meantime I'm putting the Lost SA stuff thread on the task.

also try the SA saga thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

False

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Who are these fukkin losers ripping off Nirvana?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pyf goes to the movies

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

hey thread i just watched heathers because y'all were talking about it and it was terrible

i know it's 30 years old but it is about the dumbest most tone-deaf poo poo imaginable in 2018. the main plot is about teenagers murdering each other over minuscule slights and it is filled with great jokes about school shootings, suicide bombings, eating disorders, gay-bashing, mental illness, depression, gay suicide, date rape, and other hilarious subjects. the writing is awkward and the acting is stilted. in a world where gay people are just people and not inherently a joke, the "dead gay son" scene is heart-wrenching, not funny.

the only thing it was missing was some racism and maybe a bearded lady style transgendered person to make up the full set

do not watch

It was getting remade as a TV show earlier this year and the pilot episode was really good but then they never released it because a bunch of woke twitter people were outraged that a show created by a bunch of openly gay writers and directors had queer characters as villains as well as good guys and had the obviously evil villain say obviously evil things.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FreudianSlippers posted:

This sort of stuff is why I'm slightly sceptical of the vision of a future where everyone, everyone rich at least, has their consciousness uploaded into an immortal cyberbody. Even the simplest software can go nuts if just one little thing is in the wrong place, I can't imagine how complicated a digital copy of a human mind would be and all the amazing bugs it would produce.

Imagine a future in which our eternal cybernetic overlords wipe their memory if they see a map of Utah, accidentally switch their language to Saami if they smell cinnamon, and poo poo out a large iron stool if they think about ants.

All because someone made a typo somewhere or accidentally copy/pasted the wrong but of code when programming the machine mind.

You get weird enough bugs with the stock hardware. There's a version of face blindness that only affects your ability to recognize your mother. There's a disorder where you before convinced you're dead or even rotting. Some people even like J-pop.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alaois posted:

pyf goes to the movies

I like Pulp Fiction, because I can quote it and seem cool

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You get weird enough bugs with the stock hardware. There's a version of face blindness that only affects your ability to recognize your mother. There's a disorder where you before convinced you're dead or even rotting. Some people even like J-pop.

Read that as jon pop

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The opinion that you need to watch crappy John Hughs style 80s teen movies first to appreciate Heathers actually makes a lot of sense. In retrospect I really can't see like 90% of the humor working in a modern vacuum. Like most of the film is a dark mirror of the other films and the culture that spawned them, as well as possibly laughing at the audience for laughing at the jokes. The problem is that everything is seen through Wynona Rider's character's perspective, and she's just as bad if not worse than everyone else in the film. It turns into the same problem as Daria has sometimes, where you can't tell if the writers are making fun of something, or making fun of the protagonist's perspective. But on the other hand, Occam's Razor and all that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The joke is that the dad and all the other boomers don't actually care about the children suffering and hurting each other, but whenever an event manages to penetrate their self-absorbed skulls, they can't pass up an opportunity to make it all about themselves, their own acceptance or rejection of something or someone.

The son wasn't gay, but believing that lets the adults indulge even further in melodrama.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm enjoying PYF's reads on Heathers. And yeah, there's a reason I suggested watching a Hughes flick first.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I've never been able to sit through any of those Hughes shitters, and I saw Heathers for the first time in 2015 and was amazed at how good it was.

I might just be terrible. I could accept that. :shrug:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Point of fact: we are all terrible

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Pirate Radar posted:

Point of fact: we are all terrible

Would you say we're.....something awful?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sagebrush posted:

it's like watching Ace Ventura again. in the climactic scene we find that the villain is a pre-op transgendered person and the idea is so revolting that all the police officers start immediately vomiting. ha ha.

The scene is still bad of course but we were supposed to think Sean Young had been making out or having sex with all of them at some point. They don't vomit, they start spitting. Tone Loc scrubs his tongue with his fingernails. Their reactions are actually tamer than the whole Crying Game meltdown Ace has earlier.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Sagebrush posted:

hey thread i just watched heathers because y'all were talking about it and it was terrible

i know it's 30 years old but it is about the dumbest most tone-deaf poo poo imaginable in 2018. the main plot is about teenagers murdering each other over minuscule slights and it is filled with great jokes about school shootings, suicide bombings, eating disorders, gay-bashing, mental illness, depression, gay suicide, date rape, and other hilarious subjects. the writing is awkward and the acting is stilted. in a world where gay people are just people and not inherently a joke, the "dead gay son" scene is heart-wrenching, not funny.

the only thing it was missing was some racism and maybe a bearded lady style transgendered person to make up the full set

do not watch

Is this a serious post?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lobok posted:

The scene is still bad of course but we were supposed to think Sean Young had been making out or having sex with all of them at some point. They don't vomit, they start spitting. Tone Loc scrubs his tongue with his fingernails. Their reactions are actually tamer than the whole Crying Game meltdown Ace has earlier.

The Crying Game was a serious movie trying to present as a horrific twist a woman having been born a man. Ace Ventura was an unserious movie trying to present as a hilarious joke someone being horrified by a woman having been born a man. If there was a lovely olympics I knew which one I'd give the gold.

But then there is the "hemorrhoids" reveal, and jokes about mental illness, and etc., etc., so I'm not going to defend the movie. Many things I liked when I was a child weren't that great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kind of feel like the Ace Ventura joke works better if you take it as directly parodying The Crying Game, which was almost certainly intended to be :thejoke:. It just looks like garden-variety transphobia now because we all forgot The Crying Game existed whereas we all remember Ace Ventura.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's no question about it. It directly references the Crying Game with the shower, lighting clothes on fire, song, etc.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

VanSandman posted:

#justiceforbajor

Nice victim blaming

#noexcuse

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sagebrush posted:

the jokes like "we know this was a gay couple that killed each other because here is a bottle of mineral water" were clearly supposed to be directly funny, not mocking something from a john hughes film, but they're just stupid.

I think some other people have said a lot of what I wanted to say, but just to be clear here: No, that joke wasn't supposed to be directly funny. At no point were the people watching the film intended to laugh and say "Haha, bottled water IS a really gay thing to drink!" It's supposed to be funny because the guy has that opinion, which is a ridiculous opinion to have. And that's just, like, the surface level, maaaaaaaan, because it's all related to the other media around at the time.

Sagebrush posted:

maybe the concept of a kid bringing a revolver to school to shoot blanks in the jocks' faces was just a mischievous prank in 1988 but it's ghastly today.

No, it was considered a stupid, lovely thing to do then, too. The deal is that the films surrounding the high school experience at the time were colossally overblown. Yes, it's true things in real life were a lot, uh, looser and laxer than, but the films regularly depicted 'bullies' as casually trying to murder the protagonist students by, e.g., putting them in a trash compactor as a 'prank.' Heathers deconstructs the typical tropes of the media at the time - not in an incredibly mindblowing or lifechanging way for most people, but certainly a valid and worthwhile one.

Maybe I'm just too deeply steeped in that culture because I grew up watching almost only movies from before I was born (mostly mid-to-late eighties), reading 40s-70s sci-fi, was homeschooled for years, and didn't get a computer until I was fifteen, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pssssh bunch of children making jokes about Conan O'Brien playing guitar for Killing Joke when everyone knows he was actually in Railroad Jerk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKo2_OwlCMo

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Karate Bastard posted:

This one works best if delivered through a continuous barf of ill-advisedly chugged galiano.
i see you're familiar with my posts

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prism posted:

What the hell plant is this

Awesome! posted:

a cumquat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing about Heathers is that it may be dated because of how much much school shooters have changed school culture, and yet is terrifyingly predictive of how American school culture has become inured to casual violence and both brutal and subtle bullying, and adults, even the parents, utterly fail to care enough to do anything but make it about themselves, and definitely not actually do anything substantial enough to make things safer for their children, because of the fantasy that high school is a silly playground where children are protected from the outside world. JD is basically the proto school shooter archetype predicted; not a bullying victim or icky nerd but an outright sociopath whose detachment from people around him is aided by the alienation and atomisation of modern American society.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mustached Demon posted:

ICE testing out catch and release I see.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i may agree with all the hellish talks except natural fresh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of feel like the Ace Ventura joke works better if you take it as directly parodying The Crying Game, which was almost certainly intended to be :thejoke:. It just looks like garden-variety transphobia now because we all forgot The Crying Game existed whereas we all remember Ace Ventura.

Thing is, though, Ace Ventura (rated PG-13) was marketed to kids who almost certainly would never have watched The Crying Game (rated R) --- so you end up with an impressionable audience exposed to the punchline "transpeople are really gross" with a satirical context that maybe some of the adult audience would understand. :shrug:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pick posted:

Some films only work in very specific context of their genre, and if someone isn't familiar with the genre, it doesn't quite land. It's like how Neo Yokio is the greatest show on Earth but only for like 4 people.

This is basically me any time somebody makes a decent movie centered around punk rock.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thing is, though, Ace Ventura (rated PG-13) was marketed to kids who almost certainly would never have watched The Crying Game (rated R) --- so you end up with an impressionable audience exposed to the punchline "transpeople are really gross" with a satirical context that maybe some of the adult audience would understand. :shrug:

The thing is, though, that pre-sexual children are more likely to think a man in a dress is funny rather than gross. It takes a parent to teach them that. So while it's come out all wrong (so to speak), this is probably a typical case of "make movies for the kids, include subtle jokes for the adults who take them".

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
The 1980s were almost 40 years ago, you guys are basically the modern equivalent of the grandparents that made you watch WC Fields movies with them when you were a kid and then got mad when you not only didn't think they were funny but didn't even understand what was supposed to be funny about then.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Erotic Wakes posted:

The 1980s were almost 40 years ago, you guys are basically the modern equivalent of the grandparents that made you watch WC Fields movies with them when you were a kid and then got mad when you not only didn't think they were funny but didn't even understand what was supposed to be funny about then.

right, so, never outside for man or beast

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

VanSandman posted:

#justiceforbajor

I'm not going to agree with you about somebody deserving harassment but Odo is definitely a fascist.

quote:

ODO: It's their own fault. I've been warning them from the beginning.
O'BRIEN: What are you talking about, their fault? You're in charge of Security.
ODO: If you will let me be in charge of Security I will give you a safe station. You people tell me to do my job then give me a Federation rulebook listing all the things I can't do. Untie my hands before you start to blame me, Mister O'Brien.
DAX: I'm sure no one meant to blame you, Odo.
ODO: Give me the right to set a curfew, let me do more searches of arriving passengers, give me fifty more deputies.
KIRA: And this station will be just the way it was during the occupation.
ODO: Say what you like, it was safer then.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm not going to agree with you about somebody deserving harassment but Odo is definitely a fascist.

I was being extremely tongue-in-cheek about everything but Odo’s fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Odo is definitely a fascist held barely in check by oversight and ethics. Hell, the whole deal with him is that his species is pathologically driven to impose order on others to a point where even he's disgusted by the lengths other changelings are willing to go to give themselves security.